The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Last two AMD drivers cause flickering Grass so heavily grass has to be turned off or driver reverted

Thermoluminescence
AMD Crimson ReLive 17.2.1 driver WHQL and AMD Radeon Software Crimson ReLive 17.1.2 driver both cause an issue with Grass flickering in ESO. Heavily, to the point the game cannot be played it is so abrasive.

Please pay attention to this. I am stopping my ESO subscription and playing POE for now until this is resolved, as I need the other benefits these new drivers are providing. In one revision is one thing, two is too much.

In the last driver, 17.1.2 I had someone else besides me confirm this was happening to them in ESO as well. Can be found in the comments here https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/amd-radeon-software-crimson-relive-17-1-2-driver-download.html

If a Dev needs video of this I can submit it.

On Windows 10 64bit, RX480 4GB. Intel i7 920
Art is a lie that makes us realize truth.
  • BlackPete84
    BlackPete84
    Soul Shriven
    I'm having the same problem.

GPU: RX480 8GB
    CPU: AMD A10-7890K Radeon R7, 12 Compute Cores 4C+8G, 4.10 GHz
    System RAM: 16GB

Seems to be related to the 1.7.12 driver in my case as well.
  • djfearless420
    djfearless420
    Soul Shriven
    I am having this problem as well and will be canceling my subscription if not fixed promptly.

GPU:R9fury 4GB HBM

CPU:Core i7 6700k Skylake 4.0 Ghz

RAM: 32 GB DDR4
  • Sounomi
    Sounomi
    ✭✭✭
    So AMD releases a buggy driver and you blame ZOS instead who has nothing to do with it. I would think people with such machines would be capable of rolling back the drivers instead of whining like children.
  • djfearless420
    djfearless420
    Soul Shriven
    Sounomi wrote: »
    So AMD releases a buggy driver and you blame ZOS instead who has nothing to do with it. I would think people with such machines would be capable of rolling back the drivers instead of whining like children.

I don't blame ZO$ I just cant pay for a game I cant play and as far as rolling back the drivers goes, this driver introduces HDR to AMD cards and it works great on every other game I've tested it on so far so it really isn't worth it to roll back and not have these features on the myriad of other games i play just so i can play ESO.
  • Jaedia
    Jaedia
    Soul Shriven
    Having the same issue since updating to the latest AMD drivers, it was giving me too much of a headache to keep playing right now.
  • Palidon
    Palidon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am running AMD Crimson driver 17.1.2 on my R9 390 12G AMD video card and I am not having those issues. So must be related to the new driver 17.2.1. Think I will hold off on upgrading until 17.2.1 is replaced with a newer version and this issue is resolved. As suggested all of you having problems can always roll back to 17.1.2.
  • mot666
    mot666
    Soul Shriven
    I have the same issue just now when I updated to 17.2.1, so I'm reverting to 17.1.2 because it was fine for me. I have an RX 480 as well.
  • Zeiken
    Zeiken
    Soul Shriven
    Same issue, Unsubbed until fixed. This is the only game this happens in.

Windows 10
    RX 480 8gb
    i7 5820k
    16 gb ram
  • baltic1284
    baltic1284
    ✭✭✭
    I am also having this issue I'm not blaming ZOS or anything but I have Two RX470s in my computer both have the latest Graphic update 17.2 something like that and the grass does flicker only game has that issue. A fix would be nice players are complaining about it.
  • Mystrius_Archaion
    Mystrius_Archaion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a known repeatedly coming back bug with AMD drivers on their video cards since at least back in 2004 City of Heroes mmo days when they were known as ATI graphics cards.
    I remember entire walls of the relatively blocky cities of that game showing completely black textures and flickering to color or being candy cane striped from reports on the forums.

The only fix....get a Nvidia card next time.
    Nvidia has far fewer issues and are the ones pushing the graphics boundaries into the new tech. Who had HDR first? Nvidia. Who had dual graphics cards first? Nvidia. Who had Gsync/Freesync first? Nvidia.

Both companies have a long long term proven record. AMD/ATI for bad drivers and slow adoption of new tech, Nvidia for reliability and new tech.
    By the way, I'm not paid by them or getting the most expensive cards either. I just am trying to help those who still have this bug with AMD/ATI cards with random games for over a decade.
    Edited by Mystrius_Archaion on February 28, 2017 11:59PM
  • Forztr
    Forztr
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have the same issue, on the plus side with grass turned off I can see the red circles in PVP easier so even when it's fixed My default in PVP is going to remain no grass.
  • NorthStrider
    NorthStrider
    Soul Shriven
    I have the same issue with a AMD r9 280X.(on win 10 64 with intel i5)
    Reverted back to a 16.* version of the drivers, but now my PC is crashing again (forgot that that driver caused massive random crashes - even blue screens of death - in the past while playing ESO).
    Gues i have to install 17.1.2 mentioned above.

Still, i think it's strange that this sort of bugs only happen with the ESO game. Is AMD to blame for this, or is it buggy programming by ZOS?
    (or is it that i only play ESO lately so i really don't know how these drivers behave in other games :) )

Edited by NorthStrider on March 1, 2017 7:05PM
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    Hey guys, just letting you know that we're aware of this issue and are investigating solutions. Thanks!
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post
  • VileDeeds77
    VileDeeds77
    ✭✭✭
    I have been getting trees in the far foreground that flash black then go back to normal since the latest patch. I've also been having FPS drops from 60-70 fps down to single digits for a split second then back to normal.

Running AMD 260X 2GB with driver 17.2.1
    Edited by VileDeeds77 on March 1, 2017 4:42PM
  • Tyx
    Tyx
    ✭✭
    Same Issue with the grass.

Specs: Win10 64bit - AMD Radeon HD7950 3gb with driver 17.2.1
    Edited by Tyx on March 2, 2017 3:11PM
    Author of Clock - Tamriel Standard Time --- Look at GitHub for the latest version
  • billoforever
    billoforever
    Soul Shriven
    Same for me....

Hope to fix it soon meantime ive disable it..
  • Deathplatform
    Deathplatform
    ✭✭
    same exact issue here, 17.2.1 upgrade or some combo of driver/game changes around housing update timeframe broke it. I had no issues before that and no hardware changed here
    CP700+ DPS
  • baltic1284
    baltic1284
    ✭✭✭
    Hey guys, just letting you know that we're aware of this issue and are investigating solutions. Thanks!

By the way thanks for letting us now and all better than most other game companies.
  • kyle.wilson
    kyle.wilson
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AMD releases so many updates that create issues. That was what kept me from buying a R9 295 X2 a few years ago.
    It's also what is making me cautious about going all out in buying the new Ryzen 1800x. It looks good, but AMD has lost a lot of my trust.
    Edited by kyle.wilson on March 4, 2017 7:14AM
  • Mystrius_Archaion
    Mystrius_Archaion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AMD releases so many updates that create issues.

Yep. A lot of people have been moving away from AMD cards since the old ATI days because of this. They just can't get it right even though they are made for OpenGL programming and Nvidia is made more for DirectX. Nvidia does both better by far, perhaps because they test more thoroughly maybe even playing more games than the AMD/ATI people.
  • mihawk90
    mihawk90
    ✭✭
    Nvidia has far fewer issues and are the ones pushing the graphics boundaries into the new tech.
    Oh god the fanboy is strong in this one.
    just .... ew ...
    Who had HDR first? Nvidia.
    Actually HDR rendering has been around since the DirectX 9 days, and DirectX 9 was first supported natively by ATI back in the day...
    Who had dual graphics cards first? Nvidia.
    Uuuhhh... 3dfx anyone?
    Who had Gsync/Freesync first? Nvidia.
    Both are marketing terms for Adaptive Sync in the DisplayPort standard. And guess who's version is also royalty free?
    Both companies have a long long term proven record. AMD/ATI for bad drivers and slow adoption of new tech, Nvidia for reliability and new tech.
    nvidia has had A LOT of *** drivers over the years, if you can say anything about nvidia it's that they have better marketing lol.

I've used nvidia for years, but the *** they are doing over the last years is just disgusting. Instead of actually making better products they rather introduce "revolutionary new tech" that drags competitors down and isn't even better looking (looking at the various AA techniques they released, among other things).

Just leaving this here, probably won't come back and I'm not sure why I even bother l0l
  • Ghanima_Atreides
    Ghanima_Atreides
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Same issue here. A fix would be most appreciated!
    [The Beauty of Tamriel] My collection of ESO screenshots

Show me a completely smooth operation and I'll show you someone who's covering mistakes. Real boats rock.
  • MW2K
    MW2K
    ✭✭✭
    Just encountered this issue myself.

i5 6600
    8Gb DDR4 RAM
    390x Radeon

17.2.1 drivers. Grass, ground flora and some spell effects are flickering.
    Lighting braziers and dispelling wards in Tamriel since 1994
  • kyle.wilson
    kyle.wilson
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mihawk90 wrote: »
    Who had dual graphics cards first? Nvidia.
    Uuuhhh... 3dfx anyone?

3dfx was bought by Nvidia. So, kinda sorta in a roundabout way. But, one was a 3d accelerator and the other a graphics card
    So not really the sli/crossfire most people would think of.
  • Arthmoor
    Arthmoor
    ✭✭✭
    AMD releases so many updates that create issues. That was what kept me from buying a R9 295 X2 a few years ago.
    It's also what is making me cautious about going all out in buying the new Ryzen 1800x. It looks good, but AMD has lost a lot of my trust.
    Funny, because I always hear about how bad the drivers are for nVidia cards and am glad I went with AMD as I've never once encountered any of these supposed problems with it.

A bug in 2004 recurring again in a different game on different hardware in 2017 is not a "trend" and it's not an indication of general bad quality. I've seen changelogs for nVidia stuff that make me seriously question why anyone trusts them with gaming at all.

Don't swallow everything the nVidia fanboys feed you.

Now, that said, I am not going to update my driver for now until whoever broke this grass thing fixes it, because there isn't any need to update the driver anyway. Doing that blindly is just as dumb as blindly believing things fanboys tell you :P
    Edited by Arthmoor on March 6, 2017 9:01AM
  • ghanimedeb16_ESO

Any chance of an ETA on a solution for this, having just installed a new card I would like to make use of the up to date drivers but had to install the previous version as the game is unplayable with the flickering and not as nice without the grass.
  • NorthStrider
    NorthStrider
    Soul Shriven
    Really ZOS, i miss the relaxing sight of waving grass...
    I've uploaded a movie to show the effect.
    Any idea if i should post a bug report @AMD or @ZOS ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQmTGHyX5cY
    Edited by NorthStrider on March 6, 2017 4:44PM
  • ynimma
    ynimma
    ✭✭✭✭
    Got the same problem, turned off grass until it's resolved.
    Much easier to see the nodes now... ;)
    Thank you for working on it!
  • Lexcro
    Lexcro
    ✭✭
    Same issues here since upgrading from 17.2.1

Radeon Software Version - 17.3.1
    Radeon Software Edition - Crimson ReLive
    Graphics Chipset - Radeon (TM) RX 470 Graphics
    Memory Size - 4096 MB
    Memory Type - GDDR5
    Core Clock - 1242 MHz
    Windows Version - Windows 10 (64 bit)
    System Memory - 8 GB
    CPU Type - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz
    People deserve to be treated with respect, even on the internet.
  • Alexium
    Alexium
    ✭✭✭
    Are 17.3.1 still not fixed problem?