The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Gold mats, a change is needed.

• nordsavage
    nordsavage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike0987 wrote: »
    I think its time to get out the pickaxe and go refine and do writs. Wash, rinse, and repeat untill you achieve your goal. I get enough with my 3 master crafters to at least make a legendary piece of armour once a week for my main character. This allows me to try diffeent armour sets almost continously.

Take the time to go read through the thread about how much work I do in this game @Mike0987 . Entry #52 should do it. Being able to make one legendary piece of armor a week is not going to cut it with the forced changes to traits. In the past day alone I have heard two separate guild mates state that they refined one thousand and the other six hundred raw ore and only get one tempering alloy. We need an increase in drop rate or a reduction in amount to one hundred percent chance for successfully upgrade to legendary at least for a recovery period to these coming changes. By the way getting to level fifty in a craft does not make you a master. If that did I have eight master crafters. What I have is two complete nine trait crafters with a majority of motifs maxed in all six trades (I am not buying two Akaviri sets). One of which has is my main since pre-release and the other closer to two years. I assure you I have a very deep grasp of crafting and how it has evolved since beta. Let us not forget that crafting is not the only grind in the game and I do them all. If you want to reveal how much work we do in game on top of playing let me know.

I just did the math. At the time of this edit I have 240 days logged not including deleted alts and beta. Much of that has been spent grinding.
    Edited by nordsavage on May 11, 2016 6:44PM
    I didn't choose tank life, tank life chose me.
  • ZOS_GregoryV
    Greetings all,

While we are glad to see our members making use of the forums, we would like to inform you all that we have removed some rather Flaming posts. It’s okay to disagree and debate on the official ESO forums, but we do ask that you keep all disagreements civil, constructive, and on-topic. If a discussion gets heated and turns into a debate, remember that you should stick to debating the post and/or thread topic. It is never appropriate to resort to personal comments or jabs about those participating in the thread discussion. Please be aware that future violations of the Community Rules may result in this thread being closed. Thank you for your understanding.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • TheSpin
    TheSpin
    ✭✭✭
    I would say the game is mature enough now that an entire retooling of the crafting system is in order. Keep the same general principle, but implement some new features to make it more user friendly for both new players and vets.

1. All crafted gear is made at the ''max' level of each tier and a down scaling feature is added to match the stats to your character level (in other words, an iron sword has to be made as a level 14 item, but if a level 4 equipped it, it would give the same stats that a crafted level 4 iron sword currently gives.) Alternatively, no down scaling, but allow reforging using additional refined material to increase the level of gear within that tier.

2. Implement upgrading gear from one tier to the next--so that level 1-14 sword could be converted to a level 16-24 sword by combining X amount of steel and Y amount of temper (so maybe 10 steel and one temper in order to maintain the quality of the item)

3. Allow changing of traits by combining X amount of new trait material and Y amount of temper (so 1 diamond and 1 temper to change traits but keep quality the same)

This would allow high level people to change traits. Low level people would actually be able to stomach the cost of having decent gear while leveling, and the Set Bonuses available would still provide plenty of motivation for players to keep making completely new sets of gear.
  • PhxOldGamer68
    PhxOldGamer68
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't get why it costs so much to craft V16 gear. V15 is like 10-15 mats, and then BAM 150 for V16 gear. Yet the improvement is only 20-30 points approximately. The incentive and reward for farming mats seems fruitless.

It costs less to buy V16 gear from a Guild Trader. Common 5 piece sets can be found for $5K or less per piece now.

A big thanks to players who do dungeons and Cyrodiil and sell the un-needed gear for cheap.
    PSN NA/EU: DesertDweller99
    PC NA: KaktusKing
  • MasterSpatula
    MasterSpatula
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gold tempers should be rare enough for you to get genuinely exciting when you get one, but not so rare that it becomes infuriating. It seems weighted a bit towards the latter at the moment.
    "A probable impossibility is preferable to an improbable possibility." - Aristotle
  • Bnec
    Bnec
    ✭✭
    leave as it is or increase the amount of tempers needed to 10 or 12 , the people complaining about prices and dificulty to acquire these materials sound lazy , best gear should NOT be easy to get , even though if you want to you can easily farm 56 wax or alloys needed for a full set in 12-18 hours , it's just about knowing the locations and putting time and effort it.
  • Serenityx
    Serenityx
    ✭✭✭
    RocDonald wrote: »
    If you think those are expensive, try buying some Potent Nirncrux.

Im sure someone above already said this but...[snip] you only need one of those per item. Alloys are like 50% the prive of a nirn while you need 10x more of them per item. Dont see why you even thought mentioning the price of a nirn in a topic about tempers/resins.

Edited to remove profanity and insult
    Edited by ZOS_DaryaK on May 19, 2016 2:38PM
  • kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yeah, it takes quite awhile to get enough tempers to make a full gold set, but it's not so bad for just weapons. The nirncrux can be pricey as well, but at least only one is needed for research and not so many using them on gear.
  • DHale
    DHale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think if you break down gold stuff putting 8 dreugh or rosin or alloys you should get 8 back. Also why can't they be sold from tel var merchants for TV stones that would get some life in imperial city.
    Sorcerna, proud beta sorc. RIP April 2014 to May 31 2016 DArk Brotherhood. Out of retirement for negates and encases. Sorcerna will be going back into retirement to be my main crafter Fall 2018. Because an 8 k shield is f ing useless. Died because of baddies on the forum. Too much qq too little pew pew. 16 AD 2 DC. 0 EP cause they bad, CP 2300 plus 18 level 50 toons. NA, PC, Grey Host#SORCLIVESMATTER actually they don’t or they wouldn’t keep getting nerfed constantly.
  • disintegr8
    disintegr8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Bnec wrote: »
    leave as it is or increase the amount of tempers needed to 10 or 12 , the people complaining about prices and dificulty to acquire these materials sound lazy , best gear should NOT be easy to get , even though if you want to you can easily farm 56 wax or alloys needed for a full set in 12-18 hours , it's just about knowing the locations and putting time and effort it.

Lazy? 12-18 hours to get enough wax or alloys for a full set?
    I would say a fairly high percentage of players don't even get to play the game for 12-18 hours a week, let alone want to spend all of their game time farming. That is not lazy, it is just having other priorities and commitments in life.

Maybe ZOS could bring in a system like the they do with XP, where the rate of XP gain is increased for a period if you haven't played for a while. During that same period, maybe the chance of extracting tempers and alloys from raw materials is increased by 50% or something. That way you can choose whether you want to maximize your XP or try and get the materials during that time.

I do agree that the recovery rate from breaking things down could be increased a bit, especially if you are breaking down something you made. I know there are a lot of people like me who have created the wrong thing and lost valuable supplies because they cannot be recovered.
    Australian on PS4 NA server.
    Everyone's entitled to an opinion.
  • Lavum
    Lavum
    ✭✭✭
    I refined 840 Ruby Ore. I got 1 (One) Tempering Alloy. How is that balanced?
    Don't say -"Cash Grab" when it is a "Cash Grab" by ZoS. Apparently "Cash Grab" is not PC.
  • Auricle
    Auricle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would be encouraged if ZoS made some small changes to the rewards for doing max level writs, if nothing else. I came back to the game a month ago and have done daily max level equipment writs on multiple characters, but I haven't seen a single Temporing Alloy, Dreugh Wax or Rosin. Makes me wonder why I bother when I could just sell the mats I use for the writs to offset the growing market cost of gold tempers.

This is not encouraging for returning players who are trying to re-gear after an absence. This is unnecessarily frustrating. I'm doing the obscene vr16 mat farming, the work, to be able to gear up my characters and rejoin the fray, and I understand that as part of the MMO process. But to see only one gold temper after refining literally thousands of raw materials and completing a hundred writs... It doesn't make me want to keep going.

I understand that end game gear shouldn't be easy. I don't want it to be easy. I just want to know that it can be accomplished before my PC becomes obsolete.... Or Half-life 3 comes out.
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    That's very off, @Auricle. I do max level writs on 2 characters and usually get about 6-8 gold tempers per week, not counting the ones I get from refining the mats from farming and surveys. Hirelings bring fewer gold mats, but that's good for a couple more per week usually.
  • Arthg
    Arthg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My hirelings never bring me any gold mats.
    Writs, I'd say 1 out of 4 times.

Farming like a lowly peasant to refine mats, however, does pay.
    I've been in the situation where I've refined countless mats and only got a few gold mats.
    But then... It's also occurred quite often to get gold mats after refining 50 mats...

I'd say the work I've put in farming mats was rewarding enough.
    I'm happy with the way things are, quite frankly.
    PC/EU. NoCP PvP. sDK Orc IRL. Flawless tamperor. Pro scrub.
  • outsideworld76
    outsideworld76
    ✭✭✭
    Drop rates should not be improved, legendary should be hard to achieve thus should be rare.
  • outsideworld76
    outsideworld76
    ✭✭✭
    nordsavage wrote: »
    Dreugh wax was at 2-3k about a month ago and now its up over 4k it is only getting worse.

That's dirt cheap dude, on PS4 rosin goes for 5k, dreugh was about 7..8k and tempering allows or kuta's cost at least 15k.

Crafting legendary equipment should be very hard, when I craft I purple most gear. I only yellow those stuff that really works well for me.
  • Shader_Shibes
    Shader_Shibes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lavum wrote: »
    I refined 840 Ruby Ore. I got 1 (One) Tempering Alloy. How is that balanced?

it isn't, just like the majority of the game isn't "balanced"

• Pomaikai
    Pomaikai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Supply and demand.

Right now demand is up, and prices have risen. Bulk seller prices have dropped a bit this week as people are holding off on upgrading existing gear, and making new gear because the new DLC is just around the corner.

At the end of the month though? All bets are off. Demand is going to skyrocket. Prices of gold mats will do likewise. I sell a LOT of Wax, and I have a pretty good idea where prices are headed in a couple of weeks. If you're not stocking up now in anticipation of those coming upgrades, you're crazy.

Rosin will be up, but not as much as Wax, and especially Alloy. With all of the changes, I'm expecting Alloy prices to hit an all-time high on PC/Mac NA that's going to scare people.
    Rosin: 3K
    Wax: 6-7K, and possibly 8K for a short while.
    Alloy: 8-9K, and possibly 10K for a short while.
  • DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's never made sense to me that gold improvement doesn't fit the patterns of the others:

with maxed passives, 2 greens, 3 blues, 4 purples...wouldn't it make sense that it would take 5 golds?

Other than that, I don't think increasing the availability of tempers is really necessary, rather the attitude that all-gold gear is necessary should be adjusted. Just my opinion, of course.
    Thrice Empress, Forever Scrub
  • nordsavage
    nordsavage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Drop rates should not be improved, legendary should be hard to achieve thus should be rare.

Why?
  • Yinmaigao
    Yinmaigao
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    llSRRll wrote: »
    I like the way it is, makes gold gear very coveted. I think it would be stupid with everyone running around Cyradil with 3 or 4 Toons all with gold gear. Everybody always wants the best stuff but does not want to work for it smh.

This logic is a bit flawed... I hate the argument that "it should suck for everyone because it sucked for me".

I personally would be just fine with them being easier to get. Less excuses for people to leave their gear blue/purple because it is too expensive.

More "geared players" means more people doing content. People say it all the time; gear doesn't make the player, skill does.
  • llSRRll
    llSRRll
    ✭✭✭
    Yinmaigao wrote: »
    I like the way it is, makes gold gear very coveted. I think it would be stupid with everyone running around Cyradil with 3 or 4 Toons all with gold gear. Everybody always wants the best stuff but does not want to work for it smh.

This logic is a bit flawed... I hate the argument that "it should suck for everyone because it sucked for me".

I personally would be just fine with them being easier to get. Less excuses for people to leave their gear blue/purple because it is too expensive.

More "geared players" means more people doing content. People say it all the time; gear doesn't make the player, skill does.

Logic is only flawed to someone who wants everything handed to them smh.
  • nordsavage
    nordsavage
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Nobody is asking for anything to be handed out like told you the last 2 or 3 times. Go flame and shake your head elsewhere. This thread is already being monitored so keep it to facts and experiences.
  • llSRRll
    llSRRll
    ✭✭✭

Nobody is asking for anything to be handed out like told you the last 2 or 3 times. Go flame and shake your head elsewhere. This thread is already being monitored so keep it to facts and experiences.

Yes you are, your complaining that they are not giving you enough gold mats. What part of giving me more gold mats is not wanting to be given something?
  • nordsavage
    nordsavage
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes you are, your complaining that they are not giving you enough gold mats. What part of giving me more gold mats is not wanting to be given something?

No I am requesting an adjustment closer to previous levels of drops. You have been on this game since the holidays I am guessing so you cannot see the big picture. You are not adding anything new for or against. Go troll elsewhere. Do you have vet characters? What does your gear look like? Do you run the hardest content? Where is proof? You want to argue about end game gold mats lets see if you are even there. Keep egging me on and I will grill you on the matter.
  • llSRRll
    llSRRll
    ✭✭✭

No I am requesting an adjustment closer to previous levels of drops. You have been on this game since the holidays I am guessing so you cannot see the big picture. You are not adding anything new for or against. Go troll elsewhere. Do you have vet characters? What does your gear look like? Do you run the hardest content? Where is proof? You want to argue about end game gold mats lets see if you are even there. Keep egging me on and I will grill you on the matter.

Ive been playing since the release on PS4 and do very well with crafting and see nothing wrong with the way things are. Yes I do have a Vet 16 character with all Gold heavy armor, gold weapons and lv 50 in all crafting skills. I also have 5 other toons one a vet 1 that has all the crafting skills at 50 and purple armor. The rest are ranged from lv 12 to 28 all with blue weapons and armor. Just bc your on PC and been playing since release doesnt mean you know everything about the game. Obviously your having a problem finding ways to come up with the mats or you would not be complaining about this. Its always funny how you call people trolls with people who disagree with you and welcome anyone's comments that agree with your own.
  • Pr0jektile
    Pr0jektile
    ✭✭✭
    I'm probably averaging one dreugh wax every 150 raw leather mats. Not too bad, really. They're meant to require work to get them. Pandering to the casual gamer that it's not easy enough is what will kill an MMO as end-game content becomes boring when everyone has everything.

IF you're having trouble getting the mats, change your strategy:

1.) Do writs, every day
    2.) Farm Raw Mats and Refine more
    3.) Do more end-game content to get better gear drops, sell the gear, buy the improvement mats
    4.) Dedicate time to thieving. Buy the mats.

Keeping things scarce is what helps keep people from standing around in Deshaan and Reaper's March all day. Everyone is trying to rush to a max build without actually putting in the time to 'build' it.

Cut it out.
    It is not your ability, so much as your willingness to do what is right that will set you apart from the rest.
  • llSRRll
    llSRRll
    ✭✭✭
    Pr0jektile wrote: »
    I'm probably averaging one dreugh wax every 150 raw leather mats. Not too bad, really. They're meant to require work to get them. Pandering to the casual gamer that it's not easy enough is what will kill an MMO as end-game content becomes boring when everyone has everything.

IF you're having trouble getting the mats, change your strategy:

1.) Do writs, every day
    2.) Farm Raw Mats and Refine more
    3.) Do more end-game content to get better gear drops, sell the gear, buy the improvement mats
    4.) Dedicate time to thieving. Buy the mats.

Keeping things scarce is what helps keep people from standing around in Deshaan and Reaper's March all day. Everyone is trying to rush to a max build without actually putting in the time to 'build' it.

Cut it out.

Thank you well said sir, agree with you 100%
  • Pomaikai
    Pomaikai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the point he's trying to make, is that when you're reaching end game, players don't just have a single set of gold Vr16 armor and weapons.

Most players have a PVE set, and quite possibly both a solo and a group PVE set, a PVP set, a Trials set, and maybe even a Maelstrom set. All in gold. Now multiply that across multiple characters.

It's this increased demand of a very scarce commodity which has caused prices to skyrocket, and will cause them to continue rising as more and more people begin to reach end game and start needing multiple armor sets per character.
  • FortheloveofKrist
    FortheloveofKrist
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like them this rare. Keep it.

This discussion has been closed.