The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Patch Notes are up

• Davadin
    Davadin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Iluvrien wrote: »
    tengri wrote: »
    Due to extensive pillaging, many containers in Mzeneldt (the Dwemer ruins from the Fighters Guild questline) and Avanchnzel (the Dwemer delve located in the Rift) have been ransacked, causing many of them to be emptier than before.

Wow. Just wow.
    A very subtile approach to start pushing sales of the Dwemer Motifs in the Crown Store...

Thats exactly what I thought too.

We understand why you may think that, but these two areas had many more containers than other Dwemer locations and needed to be normalized. It had nothing to do with what's available in the Crown Store. Also, the other part of that note was left out of the quote, and we want to make sure that part isn't forgotten as it's important - we are planning to increase the number of containers in other Dwemer locations in the near future to compensate.

And yet I am afraid it still doesn't make a great deal of sense.

The logic that seems to be outlined above suggests that because that location was overly productive it had to be "normalized"... ok, I follow you so far... but then you go on to mention that to compensate for this you will be increasing the number of containers in other locations... at which point that particular logical progression runs into a O.o

If, roughly, the same amount (or even greater) capacity is going to exist then what is the logic behind it? I can see a couple of possibilities, some good and some bad:

Good
    1) You want to make in more likely that anyone doing any ruin might get a motif rather than forcing everyone to cluster in a couple of instances. (This only works if the capacity you add really is higher)
    2) You want to spread out the population through the different ruins so as to decrease server load (as per recent responses to the lag in PvP). (Possibly unlikely but still possible)

or

Bad
    3) This really is a nerf designed to decrease the availability of motifs and so push the Crown Store versions. (This will seem to be the case if the capacity you add back is lower... or you take a long time to add it back)
    4) As above but using a different mechanic. (Adding a similar amount of capacity to deflect criticism but banking on the fact that although the hardcore farmers may continue to run circuits, many of the less obsessed farmers will likely conclude their runs after only a few circuits due to the distance between ruins... thus making a lower number of containers available in the same time).

I really really hope that the reason is 1 or 2 or another Good option I haven't spotted... because, sadly, these days I really wouldn't trust it to not be 3 or 4 or something of that ilk.

i thought it's simply more on world-balancing, so people actually enjoy the content evenly at other map. not spending mindless hours FARMING a dark, smelly cave.

then again, im just a simple man.
    August Palatine Davadin Bloodstrake - Nord Dragon Knight - PC NA - Gray Host
    Greymoor 6.0.7 PvP : Medium 2H/SnB The Destroyer
    Dragonhold 5.2.11 PvE : Medium DW/2H The Blood Furnace
    March 2021 (too lazy to add CP) PvP: Medium DW/Bow The Stabber
  • RDMyers65b14_ESO
    RDMyers65b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Due to extensive pillaging, many containers in Mzeneldt (the Dwemer ruins from the Fighters Guild questline) and Avanchnzel (the Dwemer delve located in the Rift) have been ransacked, causing many of them to be emptier than before.

Sorry, I don't believe there will be an increase in the other Dwemer delves as if there was, you would have done that before nerfing Avanchnzel. If you had wanted to keep players happy, you would have already increased the other delves containers before eliminating the drops in Avanchnzel. That would been logical if you wanted people not to think it was a crown shop ploy.
    Edited by RDMyers65b14_ESO on April 20, 2015 4:09PM
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager

Wow. Just wow.
    A very subtile approach to start pushing sales of the Dwemer Motifs in the Crown Store...

We understand why you may think that, but these two areas had many more containers than other Dwemer locations and needed to be normalized. It had nothing to do with what's available in the Crown Store. Also, the other part of that note was left out of the quote, and we want to make sure that part isn't forgotten as it's important - we are planning to increase the number of containers in other Dwemer locations in the near future to compensate.

The logic that seems to be outlined above suggests that because that location was overly productive it had to be "normalized"... ok, I follow you so far... but then you go on to mention that to compensate for this you will be increasing the number of containers in other locations... at which point that particular logical progression runs into a O.o

If, roughly, the same amount (or even greater) capacity is going to exist then what is the logic behind it? I can see a couple of possibilities, some good and some bad:
    <snip>

Option 5: I did a poor job explaining. :)

The amount of containers across all Dwemer locations varies quite a bit. We increased the amount of empty containers in Mzendeldt and Avanchnzel, and we also plan to boost the amount of containers from some locations that currently don't have as many. There isn't a set number of containers in every Dwemer space, but more like a general range. So, the two reductions today will bring them more in line with others, and the locations that don't have as many will be brought up. Does that make more sense?

Also, as for why we didn't do the increase in today's patch, we simply haven't gotten all the boosted locations thoroughly tested yet. We do intend to have this go into a future incremental patch, though (as opposed to the next major update).
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post
  • MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh well, I guess Avanchnzel was really too good to be left alone. Pity they waited long enough to make players angry for "balancing" it.

That's kind of the point though. It has been well known ever since the Dwemer pages came into game that those places had more lootable objects than any other ruin.. yet they do nothing about it until the book is available in the crown store.

This was not a concern for months... yet (once the motifs are available for crowns) they are concerned enough now to remove them BEFORE they also implement the balance of adding containers to ruins. Why couldn't we have waited until next week (or whenever) so they could also implement adding extra containers to other ruins at the same time?

[EDIT] I'm just a bit frustrated with the terrible timing. If it wasn't important enough to deal with previously, why must you implement it NOW rather than waiting and implementing the full fix. (Full fix = balancing.. so also adding more containers elsewhere)
    Edited by MissBizz on April 20, 2015 4:14PM
    Lone Wolf HelpFor the solo players who know, sometimes you just need a hand.PC | NA | AD-DC-EP | Discord
  • Bouvin
    Bouvin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Davadin wrote: »

Wow. Just wow.

but whats with the 30% value of stolen goodies?

Just decon and sell the mats. Still good money.
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, everyone on EU server have until now till 3 am London time to rush to Avanchnzel, collect motifs, keep them for a week or two and... make a fortune in game gold !

@ZOS_GinaBruno : Thanks for taking the time to explain it again, but your first explanation was clear too and it doesn't change the fact that it seems extremely coincidental. You (well, not *you*, the devs...) should have waited until tests are completed to put the complete rebalance out for all dungeons, imho.
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Templar:
    • Focused Charge: Fixed an issue where you couldn’t activate other abilities for a short time after using Focused Charge or its morphs. We also fixed an issue where the effects from this ability would get stuck on you.
    • Eclipse: Fixed an issue where this ability would trigger your global cooldowns every time it reflected another ability./

Does this means using these abilities are fixed and won't get me killed in PvP? Not trying to be snarky, just that I want to believe there is no Global cooldown to focused charge and it will no longer lock me into a 20 second charge bug, which these patch notes suggest has been addressed.
      Edited by Joy_Division on April 20, 2015 4:29PM
    • Fatalyis
      Fatalyis
      ✭✭✭✭
      Giraffon wrote: »
      Still waiting on solution to PvP Meteor spamming though.

Still waiting on patch notes that include anything related to Cyrodiil/PvP :neutral:
    • PainfulFAFA
      PainfulFAFA
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ZOS can you please look into the "getting stuck on the swamp" bug in Cyrodiil (Thorn NA) by Bloodmayne. Its been happening for a while and these patch notes from the past several weeks hasnt tickled my pickle just yet and I feel fixing this one will.

People get stuck somehow when walking around the swamps around Bloodmayne.
      PC NA
      Aztec | AZTEC | Ahztec | Aztehk | Master of Mnem
      MagDK | Magplar | Magward | Mageblade | Stamsorc

• Dennizon
      Dennizon
      ✭✭✭
      You guys believe they didnt nerf the drop rates so people would spend $50 on the motif you are all crazy. I know they would never admit it but with them being easy to get basically they had to stop it. They said it "had" to be normalized. no it didnt. It needed to be nerfed because people arent buying the dwemer motif.

God forbid you up the containers in other areas NOW rather than "sometime in the future". We all know sometime in the future means never lol. How stupid do they think we are?

Unfortunately I have to agree. There is NO reason to remove motifs and only make a vague promise about adding it elsewhere in the future unless it is to bolster Crown Store sales. Perception is reality ZOS.
    • hummice
      hummice
      Soul Shriven
      Im mad they reduced the number of stam pots that drop from bosses since 1.6, then BOOM! They wind up right back in the crownstore. I knew it! Shameless stunt to get us to buy stampots from the crownstore.

[Moderator Note: Edited per our rules on Bashing & Slanderous Comments]
      Edited by ZOS_ArtG on April 20, 2015 5:33PM
    • Bogdan_Kobzar
      Bogdan_Kobzar
      ✭✭✭
      post contents deleted
      Edited by Bogdan_Kobzar on September 27, 2015 6:35PM
      "Being honorable might make you a good man, but it doesn't make you right. Be a better world if it did."
      Be mindful of Community Rules
    • EQBallzz
      EQBallzz
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Dennizon wrote: »
      You guys believe they didnt nerf the drop rates so people would spend $50 on the motif you are all crazy. I know they would never admit it but with them being easy to get basically they had to stop it. They said it "had" to be normalized. no it didnt. It needed to be nerfed because people arent buying the dwemer motif.

God forbid you up the containers in other areas NOW rather than "sometime in the future". We all know sometime in the future means never lol. How stupid do they think we are?

Unfortunately I have to agree. There is NO reason to remove motifs and only make a vague promise about adding it elsewhere in the future unless it is to bolster Crown Store sales. Perception is reality ZOS.

Whether it's perception or reality doesn't matter at this point. Once you create a cash shop in your game people are going to automatically assume the worst whether it's true or not. Now every decision/action they make will be seen through the lens of greedy cash shop manipulations. Even innocent things that would have been given the benefit of the doubt with a sub will be scrutinized now as some shady maneuver. Every cash shop item will be argued about on the forums endlessly because it's too expensive or too exclusive or P2W or some other argument. That is the environment that ZOS created by going to this system.
    • I_killed_Vivec
      I_killed_Vivec
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭

Wow. Just wow.

<snip>

The amount of containers across all Dwemer locations varies quite a bit. We increased the amount of empty containers in Mzendeldt and Avanchnzel, and we also plan to boost the amount of containers from some locations that currently don't have as many. There isn't a set number of containers in every Dwemer space, but more like a general range. So, the two reductions today will bring them more in line with others, and the locations that don't have as many will be brought up. Does that make more sense?

Also, as for why we didn't do the increase in today's patch, we simply haven't gotten all the boosted locations thoroughly tested yet. We do intend to have this go into a future incremental patch, though (as opposed to the next major update).

How about you don't nerf one area until you can boost another? You didn't have to rush in the nerf with this patch...

By the way, excellent politician speak "increasing the number of empty containers" - it's an increase so it must be good! :)
    • Naivefanboi
      Naivefanboi
      ✭✭✭✭

Wow. Just wow.
      A very subtile approach to start pushing sales of the Dwemer Motifs in the Clown Store...

wow i missed that part....typical.
    • Fuxo
      Fuxo
      ✭✭✭✭

Wow. Just wow.

<snip>

Except... it will never happen. Or to put this in a realistic perspective, taking into account content update speed, in a year, maybe. Another win for exploiters who were allowed to pillage these locations for weeks. The rest of us can use cash to buy it for convenience. For a mere 30 EUR!
    • Keron
      Keron
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      I think you are making a mountain out of a molehill here. The limitation on finding pages has never been the number of containers, it has always been time restricted. You get one page per hour at most and even in Avnchnzel or whatever it's called you'd usually get one in the first few containers.

So now you maybe have to make two rounds. Big deal. Takes you 10 instead of 5 minutesbefore you'll have to wait another hour until you get the next.

I know that this theory of time based drop chance is conjecture, but I feel I have an at least tolerable data base, having farmed all 14 pages in Avnchnzel except for staves, which I bought in a guild store.

Also, there are still 1000s if pages distributed across these vendors. I'd rather buy missing pages there than buy it in crown store anyways.
      Edited by Keron on April 20, 2015 5:43PM
    • ViolenceUndone
      MissBizz wrote: »
      Oh well, I guess Avanchnzel was really too good to be left alone. Pity they waited long enough to make players angry for "balancing" it.

That's kind of the point though. It has been well known ever since the Dwemer pages came into game that those places had more lootable objects than any other ruin.. yet they do nothing about it until the book is available in the crown store.

This was not a concern for months... yet (once the motifs are available for crowns) they are concerned enough now to remove them BEFORE they also implement the balance of adding containers to ruins. Why couldn't we have waited until next week (or whenever) so they could also implement adding extra containers to other ruins at the same time?

[EDIT] I'm just a bit frustrated with the terrible timing. If it wasn't important enough to deal with previously, why must you implement it NOW rather than waiting and implementing the full fix. (Full fix = balancing.. so also adding more containers elsewhere)

While the timing IS terrible and does certainly point to the Crown Store, the farming of these instances was nearing being considered an exploit. There's basically no risk to the lower level instances and you can fly through them in a few minutes. Over the weekend, one guy was selling three complete sets of all Dwemer chapters for 100k per set and said it would be his 43rd sale, which would mean he has 4.3 million gold available. That also means he was able to farm 602 motif pages. Neither his income nor the sheer number of pages collected seem overly inflated to you?

Prices on everything go up when more people farm these motifs and the gold starts building up on a select group of players who are then able to pay way higher prices for things, which then brings the price of those other things up. If somebody is advertising in chat that they'll buy a Shadow Walker band for 500k to get one ASAP because they have more money than they can spend, people are going to see that and start requesting closer to 500k for them and everybody else suffers. People use price checks to figure out a "fair" value based on recent sales and this would cause a swing in the price. Yes, this is the case with an in-game economy anyway, but any time there's something like this that can easily be abused for extreme incomes that are way out of sync compared to other methods, it makes it much worse.

I'm glad that they're doing something about it now, regardless of when other areas will be raised. In actuality, they should have done it quite a while ago and I'm sure the Crown Store brought more visibility to the issue ("hey, we're not selling any of these") as some have suggested. I really don't think farming motif pages was ever supposed to be a 300k/day source of income though.
    • Preyfar
      Preyfar
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      Can I make a small request? Can you poke the team to add some more flair to the other Dwemer locations while adding bags? I'm not saying redesign, but... some of the other Dwemer locations are just empty. Long hallways and rooms with nothing in them, and they feel completely vacant and empty. Adding few tables, book cases, signs of life (or even death) would go a long way. =D

Just a "while you're there..." sort of thing.
    • hiyde
      hiyde
      ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm sure you can understand that the timing of this change fosters that impression.
      It's been around for months and months. Now suddenly it needed fixing, before you could complete the 2nd step of adding them to other areas.

What conveniently fills the gap? The Crown Store.

I'll let others debate what the real intent was. But I just can't imagine what the harm (other than hurting Crown Store sales) would have been in leaving this instance alone until you'd added extra containers in other areas thus making everything normalized. Why does the error have to be in the Store's favor vs. players trying to earn an income? (For the record I don't buy, farm or sell Dwemer Motifs).

All of this is damaging to those that focus on trading. We just don't know, yet, how significant the impact will be. I really wish you'd come up with *NEW* things to sell in the store, instead of selling existing high performers for traders without adding anything new for them to replace the income with.

There's so many ways this could be executed without harming in-game trade.

Such as:
      - Putting all the blue motifs in the store but not the rares
      - adding older rares to the crown store as newer rares are released with new content

Can't some kind of balance be found that isn't harmful to in-game trade?
      @Hiyde GM/Founder - Bleakrock Barter Co (Trade Guild - PC/NA) | Blackbriar Barter Co (Trade Guild-PC/NA)
    • Shader_Shibes
      Shader_Shibes
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Hhmmmm....
      Thing is, it's been like that ever since 1.5 when dwemer motifs first came out, so why change this *now* ? And why not increase the number of containers in other dwemer locations right now instead of "in the near future" ?

Frankly Gina, I am supporting 100% the "respect policy" on these forums but really, this kind of answer is close to a lack of respect to our intelligence...

Exactly what i was going to say. How long since 1.5 went live? And only now ZOS think to reduce the lootable containers in the mentioned delves?

Lol that they expect us to believe their reason.
    • Fuxo
      Fuxo
      ✭✭✭✭
      Ok, so I went to Avanchnzel today and I found a dwemer belt motif literally in the first jug. Nice bribery ZOS, but this isn't over :smiley:
    • gotgk
      gotgk
      ✭✭

90% of the time when I see a ZOS member's ink on a thread, I go in excited to find real comments on real issues and am instead treated to other members of the community being scolded. There is almost never commentary on the issue at hand.

In this case, it's exactly what one would hope to see: real commentary on a real issue. For the record, I agree that certain instances were basically being abused. The only problem is now it looks like damage control. Obviously, at the core of it, it is damage control. You guys did damage to the player's perception of ZOS' intent with today's patch, and at a very delicate time, the infancy of the Crown Store. A large part of your community is already on high alert because we've been down this road before.

You have to understand that sometimes it doesn't matter what your intentions are, it only matters what your intentions appear to be. You have to understand that MMO gamers have been bait and switched before. You have to understand we are wary of model changes and the addition of a cash shop to a game whose developers insisted would never go down that road.

Now we have Crown Shop spam in garish yellow letters across the screen. We have artificially inflated senche-bits whereby you're not even really selling the senche, you're selling some sort of social contract of exclusivity. Gradually, players see these things and get nervous-- and nervous is the best you can hope for.

For someone like me, this progression is all too familiar. For someone like me, there are no nerves, just a sort of tired resignation. And who wants playing a game and being part of a community to make them feel that way?

Maudlin, I suppose, but I really did have high hopes for this one.
    • Iluvrien
      Iluvrien
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭

Wow. Just wow.

<snip>

First of all, thank you for the reply!

Actually I think you did a good job of explaining as this was the meaning that I divined from your original post.

The deciding factor, I suspect, with regards to how this change is likely to be viewed in the long term will be the amount of time that elapses between this nerf and the subsequent compensation. As other posters have noted, having the compensation ready to roll out at the same time as the nerf would have added evidence to the "rebalancing" idea. Rolling out a nerf with no timeline on the compensation does make this look more dodgy than you assure us it is.

So I would suspect that if the new containers are ready by the next incremental patch (i.e. next Monday or so) then I, at least, am not likely to hold on to this as a sign of Bad Things To Come. Delay the new containers by a month, two months or until never? Then yes, this likely will stick in the mind.

The ball is, as they say, in your (ZOS's) court. Show us that you can recover this and assure us of your good intentions by following through on your statement.
    • MyNegation
      MyNegation
      ✭✭✭
      You will now receive a full Enlightenment pool (equal to 12 days of Enlightenment) when first unlocking the Champion System on your account.
      Does this also apply to accounts that have already unlocked the system before this patch? :)

everybody obsessed about the silly junk nerf, but nobody cares about this...
      Nine worlds of lore, Such was the world in dark days of yore
      Safekeeper of the world then was Thor, Such was what they believed in before
      Nine were the worlds of lore
    • gotgk
      gotgk
      ✭✭
      The long and the short of it is this:

If you ever nerf the droprate of something valuable to the ingame economy while simultaneously adding that same high value item to the Crown Store, modern MMO players have the upper hand because what you're doing is dirty. Now the player base who actually bother to be informed know that there is a chance that you guys pulled off a really nasty, sinister move with this patch.

You can argue the semantics of this particular decision all day long, but the simple fact of it is that ZOS gained a massive increase of the value for their Crown Store item at the players' expense. They took the ingame economy and translated it to real world dollars. This is a grey area at best.

And the decision that created that shift in the balance of power was made by those who will benefit from it the most.

I've worked on several regional political campaigns in my life, so you'll have to forgive me if this reminds me all too well of the reasons why I took an offer outside of that arena.
      Edited by gotgk on April 21, 2015 4:05AM
    • gotgk
      gotgk
      ✭✭

The deciding factor, I suspect, with regards to how this change is likely to be viewed in the long term will be the amount of time that elapses between this nerf and the subsequent compensation. As other posters have noted, having the compensation ready to roll out at the same time as the nerf would have added evidence to the "rebalancing" idea. Rolling out a nerf with no timeline on the compensation does make this look more dodgy than you assure us it is.

So I would suspect that if the new containers are ready by the next incremental patch (i.e. next Monday or so) then I, at least, am not likely to hold on to this as a sign of Bad Things To Come. Delay the new containers by a month, two months or until never? Then yes, this likely will stick in the mind.

The ball is, as they say, in your (ZOS's) court. Show us that you can recover this and assure us of your good intentions by following through on your statement.

If the new containers are announced by next Monday I will buy you a unicorn. If they are installed within a month I will buy you a bridge. The very fact that they claim to have had a re-balancing in mind but chose to nerf instead should indicate everything that is necessary to fill in your own blanks. If they wanted to re-balance the situation, they could have done so months ago when the situation was being reported loudly and with evidence. Or they could have nerfed it then and had the balanced checked in by now.

I assume we can agree that they have done nothing like the things which I have described above but have instead apparently sought to monetize the ingame abuse which they have themselves passively sanctioned for months.

Your post indicates a very patient position, but it seems rendered as if in a vacuum. Indeed, if I compartmentalize all of the troubling things that have occurred during the life of this game, they are minor decisions which indicate nothing.

But then, taking things out of context removes the potential for observing a pattern.
      Edited by gotgk on April 21, 2015 4:18AM
    • Iluvrien
      Iluvrien
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      gotgk wrote: »
      Your post indicates a very patient position, but it seems rendered as if in a vacuum. Indeed, if I compartmentalize all of the troubling things that have occurred during the life of this game, they are minor decisions which indicate nothing.

But then, taking things out of context removes the potential for observing a pattern.

Read some of my other posts. I am far less patient in my position in them.

This is actually me being patient while being aware of the other, less than flattering, elements of ZOS's recent actions.

However, and all that said, I am giving them a chance to prove to us that this isn't what it seems to be. Not by words. By actions. If they make this fix before next Monday then I will think better of them and possibly cut them a little more slack... yes, even after the P2P->B2P transition, shelving Spellcrafting, the Explorer's Pack and the Motifs in the the Crown Store etc..

Do I expect it or even hope for that proof? Not any more. I am giving them a chance to change my mind but I do not expect that they will. I may be pleasantly surprised and shocked. We will see... it is Tuesday.
    • stevepdodson_ESO888
      stevepdodson_ESO888
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Gina Bruno

Has anything been thoroughly tested....ever???
      Wow....I miss the LOL
    • I_killed_Vivec
      I_killed_Vivec
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      MissBizz wrote: »

While the timing IS terrible and does certainly point to the Crown Store, the farming of these instances was nearing being considered an exploit. There's basically no risk to the lower level instances and you can fly through them in a few minutes. Over the weekend, one guy was selling three complete sets of all Dwemer chapters for 100k per set and said it would be his 43rd sale, which would mean he has 4.3 million gold available. That also means he was able to farm 602 motif pages. Neither his income nor the sheer number of pages collected seem overly inflated to you?

Prices on everything go up when more people farm these motifs and the gold starts building up on a select group of players who are then able to pay way higher prices for things, which then brings the price of those other things up. If somebody is advertising in chat that they'll buy a Shadow Walker band for 500k to get one ASAP because they have more money than they can spend, people are going to see that and start requesting closer to 500k for them and everybody else suffers. People use price checks to figure out a "fair" value based on recent sales and this would cause a swing in the price. Yes, this is the case with an in-game economy anyway, but any time there's something like this that can easily be abused for extreme incomes that are way out of sync compared to other methods, it makes it much worse.

I'm glad that they're doing something about it now, regardless of when other areas will be raised. In actuality, they should have done it quite a while ago and I'm sure the Crown Store brought more visibility to the issue ("hey, we're not selling any of these") as some have suggested. I really don't think farming motif pages was ever supposed to be a 300k/day source of income though.

However...

You don't have to buy them!

It's precisely the same argument that is used to defend selling them in the crown shop - they are purely cosmetic (not really because you get an achievement + dye, but...). You don't need them, they don't "improve" your capability, they don't make you more powerful, they aren't required to complete a quest. You don't have to buy them.

So if people aren't worried about them appearing in the crown shop I don't see how they can worry about farmers making ridiculous amounts of in game gold.

At least the farmers put some time and effort into getting them.

What's really unfair is that Avanchnzel is a prime VR10 grinding area for some, whereas for others you get no XP at all...