ZOS, will you address population caps?

• Roechacca
    Roechacca
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    No Campaigns are on the chopping block until we change the current lock out mechanics keeping characters from different alliances on single accounts from being assigned to the same campaign.

Are you removing the lock out or strengthening it ?
    Options
  • Weberda
    Weberda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No Campaigns are on the chopping block until we change the current lock out mechanics keeping characters from different alliances on single accounts from being assigned to the same campaign.

Okay, I buy that 100% since I put one character in each alliance at roll-out (I had no idea how things would work out). Do you have any kind of reasonable estimate as to when the lock out mechanics might change?

And thanks for being so communicative with the PVP community. It is much appreciated.

Fernwood, EP Haderus NA
    Lo Behold, AD Thornblade NA (formerly Haderus, inactive)
    Options
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the comments here Brian. Sounds like you guys do have some plans at least so its a start.
    Options
  • Sacadon
    Sacadon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_BrianWheeler‌, the noticeable uptick in your forum participation as of late is sincerely appreciated.
    Edited by Sacadon on February 17, 2015 2:25PM
    Options
  • Armitas
    Armitas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    [*] Doing away with Home and Guest campaign options, so Campaign Reward tiers roll with a character instead of being tied to a campaign so you can play in any campaign you want.
    [/list]

Could we also make PvE buffs based on total alliance success and ownership across campaigns? I don't mean the total score but the total amount of keeps, OPs, Resources, and scrolls.

The root cause of over pop in a campaign comes from trying to own a campaign for buffs. Up until now AD owned Haderus, DC Chillrend, EP Azuras. All 3 servers were defended by players with no interest in PvP and a notion that they were entitled to a buff server. We even receive QQ tells and insults from PvErs when we take their buff server scrolls. Each campaign remains dead until challenged at which point populations surge into the pop lock. Example PopLock_zps3df7c4d4.png

So we have this hidden population of players that are MIA until their buffs are threatened. If we made the buffs based on total alliance success then this hidden population would have to spread themselves evenly across all 4 campaigns because each campaign will be necessary for success. Once the population spreads out there will be regular conflict on each campaign rather than being dead most of the time.

My hope is that the following would result from those changes.
    • With populations necessarily spread out it will reduce lag and queue times on campaigns like thornblade where it is poplocked every night.
    • It will ensure each alliance has some buffs at all times closing the trial gap between alliances who have buffs and those who have none.
    • Populations will necessarily balance themselves across each campaign to ensure maximum benefit to PvE.
    • PvP population will increase due to this hidden PvP population now being required to sustain their activity due to continual conflict.
    Edited by Armitas on February 17, 2015 3:03PM
    Retired.
    Nord mDK
    Options
  • ZOS_BrianWheeler
    ZOS_BrianWheeler
    PvP & Combat Lead
    @roechacca‌ I want it removed, but no estimates on when that will happen just yet. And remember there are some things I can comment on, others I can't so I'll post responses when able.
    Edited by ZOS_BrianWheeler on February 17, 2015 3:00PM
    Wheeler
    ESO PVP Lead & Combat Lead
    Options
    Staff Post
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @roechacca‌ I want it removed, but no estimates on when that will happen just yet.

So wait. Does this wind up making it like when we had one server back in beta?
    Options
  • Roechacca
    Roechacca
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @roechacca‌ I want it removed, but no estimates on when that will happen just yet. And remember there are some things I can comment on, others I can't so I'll post responses when able.

Cool . Thnx for the heads up . That might help some people to reroll factions .
    Options
  • GorraShatan
    GorraShatan
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh I'm aware of what it's being used as... just noting the blue bar for that campaign was high is all =)

They've actually gotten a lot more active since the pop caps were dropped. Dunno if that was the cause, but that's when it seemed to happened. Ported in to Chillrend last night as AD (even though its my home campaign for DC) and had a blast PvPing there. There was an epic 40+ minute 3 sided fight inside Roe that was among the best I've had in PVP. :3

I don't think it helps that the PvP community for unknown reasons decided to make the 30 day campaign the "main" one. There's 2 weeks left and really 0 reason for DC or AD to try to win now.
    Options
  • StihlReign
    StihlReign
    ✭✭✭✭
    Armitas wrote: »
    [*] Doing away with Home and Guest campaign options, so Campaign Reward tiers roll with a character instead of being tied to a campaign so you can play in any campaign you want.
    [/list]

Could we also make PvE buffs based on total alliance success and ownership across campaigns? I don't mean the total score but the total amount of keeps, OPs, Resources, and scrolls.

The root cause of over pop in a campaign comes from trying to own a campaign for buffs. Up until now AD owned Haderus, DC Chillrend, EP Azuras. All 3 servers were defended by players with no interest in PvP and a notion that they were entitled to a buff server. We even receive QQ tells and insults from PvErs when we take their buff server scrolls. Each campaign remains dead until challenged at which point populations surge into the pop lock. Example PopLock_zps3df7c4d4.png

So we have this hidden population of players that are MIA until their buffs are threatened. If we made the buffs based on total alliance success then this hidden population would have to spread themselves evenly across all 4 campaigns because each campaign will be necessary for success. Once the population spreads out there will be regular conflict on each campaign rather than being dead most of the time.

My hope is that the following would result from those changes.
    • With populations necessarily spread out it will reduce lag and queue times on campaigns like thornblade where it is poplocked every night.
    • It will ensure each alliance has some buffs at all times closing the trial gap between alliances who have buffs and those who have none.
    • Populations will necessarily balance themselves across each campaign to ensure maximum benefit to PvE.
    • PvP population will increase due to this hidden PvP population now being required to sustain their activity due to continual conflict.

A few thoughts.

Populations are incredibly low and we still have lag times. Until the devs get a handle on the lag, PvP will continue to be boring because pop caps will continue to be low in a massive environment designed for constant conflict. It's circular.

While I think your ideas are excellent, I think someone would find a way to exploit it.

@Zos_BrianWheeler What if you limit the campaigns to TWO. One for Vets, another for non-Vets (which I disagree with, there really should only be one).

Cycle the Campaign lengths. 7 day, then 14 then 30 and increase the rewards each time...noticeably.

Make Emperor buffs available to everyone as a Passive. Passives kick in when you've reached a certain Alliance Rank (this will encourage PvE'ers to PvP), and a certain level, say 20 — BUT only if your Alliance has Emperor.

The Emperor get's the Damage Buff (while Emperor) and Title.

"O divine art of subtlety and secrecy!

Through you we learn to be invisible, through you inaudible; and hence we can hold the enemy’s fate in our hands.” – Ch. VI, v. 8-9. — Master Sun Tzu

"You haven't beaten me you've sacrificed sure footing for a killing stroke." — Ra's al Ghul

He who is prudent and lies in wait for an enemy who is not, will be victorious — Master Sun Tzu

LoS
    Options
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have so many issues with the direction PVP seems to be going but I don't feel that there would be much turning back from what's seems to be ZOS plan.

The population issues can be solved as I have said so many times in the past by having less campaigns. Then players won't all run to their always winning/buff campaign and might fight as one faction. However unless ZOS can ever actually track down the issues for lag and fix them this isn't plausible because the campaigns can't hold the populations.

I really don't want to see Cyrodiil getting any smaller, from release we have gone from massive battles, to big battles, to two full raids at most fighting. Cyrodiil now looks more like a skirmish than a war. I understand fully that these population cap reductions were made to try and help the gaming experience of many but that didn't happen, no we just face longer queues before being able to play with our friends.

As for removing the lock on people playing different alliances... Not sure how I feel about it. I see why it would help and as it can apparently be avoided any way nothing changes.
    However it would encourage getting 100k AP with three characters (one in each faction) in one campaign then gaining the 1st, 2nd and 3rd place prize every campaign end no matter who won.

Part of the joy in the game for me is having chosen and side and standing by my faction, the idea people will filter easily between who's winning each month on the current campaign is... meh.

Lastly I hope that none of these changes will come to pass until after we have seen Tamriel Unlimited and what happens with the campaigns populations. Hopefully many of the new players joining the game will head to other campaigns and flesh out the sides everywhere.

Also it might be worth making all campaigns one length, I know this will upset those who play on the campaigns changed but it would remove the difference and thus make each campaign seem more equal. As other have said right now the player base has chosen 30days to be the premier campaign, so everyone wants to play in those two.
    The reason Thornblade is the "main" campaign is because most players wanted longer campaigns and originally despite a lot of predicted player feedback the only 30 campaign.

Any way it's nice to see updates almost every day in the dev tracker regarding this post. I'm happy to see @ZOS_BrianWheeler diving in here and starting the kind of communication I've wanted since beta.

As a player who's been with the game since the start, been vocal on the forums, given ZOS all the information on issues and feedback I can it's still sad to know that when ZOS wants feedback they go to specific guilds, streamers or "friends" of the company. Maybe that's not the entire case but that's the impression most of the EU players I know feel.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
    Options
  • Xupacabra
    Xupacabra
    ✭✭✭
    We have lag even if its 15 vs15 and beeing a bomb groups.
    Chupacabra with rage @ EU server AD faction Thornblade home
    Options
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Erock25 wrote: »
    Wow. ZOS gotta give some incentive to roll DC or playing on the losing side or that graph is just gonna keep getting worse.

Some are rolling and re-rolling DC anyway. Maybe not enough yet, but it is happening. DC managed to match AD and EP pop on Blackwater Blade last night and even exceeded EP for a good while. It was only one night, but it was still an improvement and DC managed to retake all home forts, cap a few enemy strongholds, help depose an Emp, and retake a stolen scroll.
    Experienced, new, returner? Help keep ESO's community strong ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ -- share what you love about the game, offer constructive feedback, and make friends.ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Who are you in Tamriel (whether it's just your character's attitude & style or a full backstory)? - Share your Character's Story! ◔ ⌣ ◔
    (And let us know 🔷What Kind of Roleplayer You Are🔷 - even if that only extends to choosing your race)

Support Mudcrab Mode for ESO (\/)!_!(\/) - part joke, part serious, all glorious! You butter be ready for this
    Options
  • Stickleback
    Stickleback
    ✭✭
    Instead of having more than 1 campaign in the huge sandbox that is Cyrodiil, maybe just restrict it to just 1. Or divide Cyrodiil in different (instanced) zones, each with a different kind of PVP, for instance like DAoC's battlegrounds with a central keep. (area's that people can join after each faction reaches the same amount of players).

Or maybe add a PVP-like area in any new PVE zone, where a "keeplord/lady" spawns every few hours, which gets a message pop in zone, and where the kill of the keeplord/lady results in the first 1% getting a token/items and the first 10% get items (similar to Warhammer Online if anyone remembers), but where different factions can kill each other before you get to the keeplord/lady's chambers..

Arena's? ...

Remove the buffs for joining a campaign that your faction has controlled, but rather add a limited stack of buffs for each keep/resource you have successfully defended or attacked. Have the buff run out after a day or so. Or make the buffs appear in PVP, but not PVE.

Just throwing my idea's in the mix.
    EU server / Ebonheart Pact

Vavara - Templar Healer
    Stickleback - DK Tank
    Stickle'back - Sorc DPS
    Chops - NB DPS
    Options
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks so much for considering removing these, though I imagine there might be a cooldown before you can log in with a character of a different faction on the same campaign. However you are planning on doing it, your participation on these forums in various threads over the last few weeks is greatly appreciated.
    Experienced, new, returner? Help keep ESO's community strong ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ -- share what you love about the game, offer constructive feedback, and make friends.ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ

Who are you in Tamriel (whether it's just your character's attitude & style or a full backstory)? - Share your Character's Story! ◔ ⌣ ◔
    (And let us know 🔷What Kind of Roleplayer You Are🔷 - even if that only extends to choosing your race)

Support Mudcrab Mode for ESO (\/)!_!(\/) - part joke, part serious, all glorious! You butter be ready for this
    Options
  • Roechacca
    Roechacca
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I think allowing characters to go to any campaign is putting a lot of faith in players to roll other faction toons and that it won't be exploited in any way . Right now you can already by pass the system and do it , yet it hasn't addressed the imbalance issue at all . I don't honestly see how this will help address the population issue . The majority of players have already demonstrated they have no desire for fair play .
    Options
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks so much for considering removing these, though I imagine there might be a cooldown before you can log in with a character of a different faction on the same campaign. However you are planning on doing it, your participation on these forums in various threads over the last few weeks is greatly appreciated.

They should also consider a lock on it being set as home only for one character, as the reasons I mentioned in my larger post if you can have multiple characters on the same campaign as a home, you can get all three levels of rewards with minimal work (100k AP for reward level 3).
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
    Options
  • GorraShatan
    GorraShatan
    ✭✭✭✭
    roechacca wrote: »
    I think allowing characters to go to any campaign is putting a lot of faith in players to roll other faction toons and that it won't be exploited in any way . Right now you can already by pass the system and do it , yet it hasn't addressed the imbalance issue at all . I don't honestly see how this will help address the population issue . The majority of players have already demonstrated they have no desire for fair play .

A hundred times this.
    Options
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Hello @roechacca‌, I started playing a little over a week ago with an old level 5 DC character made in early access and am having loads of fun, but I had to choose campaigns other than Azura's Star and Thornblade because I have EP characters set there for home and guest campaigns. Not everyone puts lots of active PvP players on their friends list and even if they do those people aren't always on to travel to.

I am currently enjoying playing on Blackwater Blade/Haderus, trying at the moment not to level too fast (which is hard pre-vet) in order to enjoy the non-vet campaign. It would be fun when I graduate from that campaign to be able to split time between Haderus and Thorn since I am more familiar with the latter and because DC has a chronically low population there. I have no interest in spying, which I think is a lame waste of time, and if I did want to spy or troll and had the connections to do so, as you have implied I could do it without much difficulty anyway. But the change to the cross-faction lockout would make it easier for those who want to re-roll and play on their old campaigns.

Turelus wrote: »

They should also consider a lock on it being set as home only for one character, as the reasons I mentioned in my larger post if you can have multiple characters on the same campaign as a home, you can get all three levels of rewards with minimal work (100k AP for reward level 3).

Hi @Turelus‌. Not sure I see what you mean. Do you mean only one character per faction having the same home campaign or keeping the cross-faction lockout for the home campaigns? If you mean the former, I have two active characters in the same faction/same campaign and the rewards track separately. If one plays a lot the reward tier goes up when I view the Alliance War tab but if the other doesn't the reward tier stays low when I view the tab with that character. If you instead meant the latter is what I assumed Wheeler is talking about removing.
    Edited by tinythinker on February 17, 2015 11:24PM

Options
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @tinythinker what I mean and if I have understood Brian Wheeler correctly is the following.

Right now you can only have Thornblade set as the home campaign for one faction, if you set it as an EP home no AD or DC characters may have it as their home.

If what I understand ZOS are looking to do, it's remove that limitation. So you can have characters in multiple factions all set the same campaign as a home, then play on the underpopulated one if that's what you choose.

If that happens though, what is there to stop you have one character in each faction, earning the level 3 tier rewards for each then ending the campaign with the gold from 1st, 2nd and 3rd place.

I guess in a way people are already doing this with multiple characters from the same faction, or different factions over different campaigns but it seems worrying and open to abuse if I have understood clearly.

Hopefully I am just derping and mistaken. :disagree:
    Options
  • Valnas
    Valnas
    ✭✭✭✭
    how about more short term objective bufffs to encourage more action away from keeps (like continuous attack) that stack

IE

IF a group efficiently can complete lots of small objectives, they could accumulate substantial strength for 30/60/90 minutes ?
    Edited by Valnas on February 18, 2015 12:52AM
    Fluph Head EP sorc dank magus
    valnäs EP nb
    opHotterslol AD dk
    Options
  • GorraShatan
    GorraShatan
    ✭✭✭✭
    @tinythinker what I mean and if I have understood Brian Wheeler correctly is the following.

Right now you can only have Thornblade set as the home campaign for one faction, if you set it as an EP home no AD or DC characters may have it as their home.

If what I understand ZOS are looking to do, it's remove that limitation. So you can have characters in multiple factions all set the same campaign as a home, then play on the underpopulated one if that's what you choose.

If that happens though, what is there to stop you have one character in each faction, earning the level 3 tier rewards for each then ending the campaign with the gold from 1st, 2nd and 3rd place.

I guess in a way people are already doing this with multiple characters from the same faction, or different factions over different campaigns but it seems worrying and open to abuse if I have understood clearly.

I'm hoping you're mistaken. I have my AD toons homed on Thorn. If I want to join some DC friends in Thorn I port to them. The current system is fine.
    Options
  • Roechacca
    Roechacca
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I'm hoping you're mistaken. I have my AD toons homed on Thorn. If I want to join some DC friends in Thorn I port to them. The current system is fine.

It will get abused by someone . Everything does eventually .
    Options
  • VisceralMonkey
    image_13.jpg

At this point, it's almost not worth it. Sadly. I know a few people planning to try the game out or return next month. My one piece of advice is don't roll DC, ever.
    Options
  • vortexman11
    vortexman11
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To say that the majority of the population bars on Chillrend is made up of PvE-ers is just silly. I consider any that is at least rank 10 to be a PvP-er whether you want to call them part time or whatever. I'll tell you guys why populations are so unbalanced, it's because of people who love flocking to where PvP is easy for them, rather than people flocking to where they are needed.

Why is it that once thornblade locks, overflow AD go to Haderus and overflow DC go to Chillrend?

There are groups of EP that because they've realized how badly they outnumber the other factions on Thornblade, choose to PvP in campaigns where they're the ones outnumbered.

Yet still, when Thornblade locks DC PvPers go to "their" buff campaign, and AD goes to what used to be theirs.
    Guild of Shadows ~Elite~
    Învictus ~Council~

EP | Vortexman | Dunmer DragonKnight | LvL 50 | Rank 50 | Former Emperor of Haderus & Chillrend |
    EP | Phobos | Altmer Nightblade | LvL 50 | Rank 26 |
    EP | Cheezus Sliced | Argonian Templar | LvL 50 | Rank 30 |
    EP | Eterno Tempesta | Altmer Sorcerer | LvL 50 | Rank 33 |
    DC | Vortexman | Dunmer DragonKnight | LvL 50 | Rank 12 |
    DC | Divine Storm | Altmer Sorcerer | LvL 50 | Rank 04 |
    EP | Pocket Vortex | Bosmer Templar | LvL 50 | Rank 24 |
    EP | Vortexman | Redguard DragonKnight | LvL 50 | Rank 28 |
    EP | Fungal Growth | Argonian Warden | LvL 50 | Rank 26 |
    EP | Eternal Guardian | Bosmer Warden | LvL 50 | Rank 13 |
    and a few other random toons

Teaching by example > https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/5479085#Comment_5479085
    Options
  • AhPook_Is_Here
    AhPook_Is_Here
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TheBull wrote: »
    Introduce 4v4v4 Arena.

I don't think that's necessary. If they do arena at all it should just be 4v4, a 3 way wouldn't make sense. Also if they do arena it shouldn't be faction specific so you can fight people in your own faction.
    “Whatever.”
    -Unknown American
    Options
  • GorraShatan
    GorraShatan
    ✭✭✭✭
    To say that the majority of the population bars on Chillrend is made up of PvE-ers is just silly. I consider any that is at least rank 10 to be a PvP-er whether you want to call them part time or whatever. I'll tell you guys why populations are so unbalanced, it's because of people who love flocking to where PvP is easy for them, rather than people flocking to where they are needed.

Why is it that once thornblade locks, overflow AD go to Haderus and overflow DC go to Chillrend?

There are groups of EP that because they've realized how badly they outnumber the other factions on Thornblade, choose to PvP in campaigns where they're the ones outnumbered.

Yet still, when Thornblade locks DC PvPers go to "their" buff campaign, and AD goes to what used to be theirs.

Does Thornblade even lock for DC?

Options
  • EskimoBrother
    EskimoBrother
    ✭✭✭

Don't know which DC you're referring to, but the main DC guilds(LoM, LB and MBF) are all on thorn or haderus. Not sure exactly how that equates to us "flocking to where PvP is easy for them". That's a load of *** and you're delusional if you truly believe that. The majority of Dc on chillrend are PvErs.
    Edited by EskimoBrother on February 19, 2015 10:44PM

-Clayton Bigsby
    -EskimoBrother

YogurtSlingerFC

Options
  • vortexman11
    vortexman11
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't know which DC you're referring to, but the main DC guilds(LoM, LB and MBF) are all on thorn or haderus. Not sure exactly how that equates to us "flocking to where PvP is easy for them". That's a load of *** and you're delusional if you truly believe that. The majority of Dc on chillrend are PvErs.

Yes. Because three guilds makes up the entire DC PvP population. And anyone not in said guilds are not PvPers.

Its funny. A few weeks ago DC made a large push on Haderus, at the time I was told by alot of the DC from Chillrend that they'd be switching there permanently. Then for some reason now that AD and EP managed to push back, guess where all those DC are? Chillrend.
    Edited by vortexman11 on February 20, 2015 5:14AM
    Guild of Shadows ~Elite~
    Învictus ~Council~

EP | Vortexman | Dunmer DragonKnight | LvL 50 | Rank 50 | Former Emperor of Haderus & Chillrend |
    EP | Phobos | Altmer Nightblade | LvL 50 | Rank 26 |
    EP | Cheezus Sliced | Argonian Templar | LvL 50 | Rank 30 |
    EP | Eterno Tempesta | Altmer Sorcerer | LvL 50 | Rank 33 |
    DC | Vortexman | Dunmer DragonKnight | LvL 50 | Rank 12 |
    DC | Divine Storm | Altmer Sorcerer | LvL 50 | Rank 04 |
    EP | Pocket Vortex | Bosmer Templar | LvL 50 | Rank 24 |
    EP | Vortexman | Redguard DragonKnight | LvL 50 | Rank 28 |
    EP | Fungal Growth | Argonian Warden | LvL 50 | Rank 26 |
    EP | Eternal Guardian | Bosmer Warden | LvL 50 | Rank 13 |
    and a few other random toons

Teaching by example > https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/5479085#Comment_5479085
    Options
  • Roechacca
    Roechacca
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Let's not get our undies all twisted over this . It's not who's a real pvper . It's about balanced level playing fields .
    Edited by Roechacca on February 20, 2015 3:22AM
    Options