The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Block issue on Mac

spoqster
spoqster
✭✭✭✭✭
Ok, I have a huge issue. By blocking is [snip] up.

I don't know if it is because of the mouse input on the Mac is problematic or if is the way the game is intended. That's why I am posting here, to get feedback.

I have the following issues:
  • Sometimes while holding the block button (second mouse button) my block releases. Sometimes it is correlated with other abilities (such as Blazing Shield running out), and sometimes it is apparently random.
  • While keeping the button pressed, when block releases, it does not automatically re-engage. I need to release the button and press it again to get block up again.

Now is this normal? Or am I having hardware problems?

[iMac with Logitech G600]

[Moderator Note: Edited per our rules on Cursing & Profanity]
  • Chufu
    Chufu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Mh I think I had this problem sometimes too, but with Windows 7 (64bit).

I mean that correlation with other abilities.
  • GreySix
    GreySix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have had that issue a couple of times, playing on my MBP.
    Crotchety Old Man Guild

"Hey you, get off my lawn!"
  • spoqster
    spoqster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did more testing with my current rotation:

Keep second mouse (block) button pressed while casting. Block goes back up for Steadfast Ward, Immovable and Honor the Dead, but not for Puncturing Seep.

After the latter finishes my block stays down although I keep the mouse button pressed.

Is that intended by the game or is it because the cast animation is longer for PS and suddenly the mouse signal is interpreted differently?

Windows players, please try this! Thanks!

@ZOS_KaiSchober‌ is there any chance we can get some official word on this? It's driving me crazy :-)
  • Aoife32001
    Aoife32001
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm having the same problem on a Mac
  • ExiledKhallisi
    ExiledKhallisi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The easiest way to solve this problem is to stop using a glorified web browser to game on (all Mac products) and get yourself a PC
    >>>>>>>>(DC)Guild Master of Biestas 250+ Active Members<<<<<<<<
    ||||||Vr14 Sorc: Darkened Soul vr14 Templar: Tiffaney||||||
    “Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
    ― Sun Tzu, The Art of War
  • naturn
    naturn
    ✭✭✭
    The easiest way to solve this problem is to stop using a glorified web browser to game on (all Mac products) and get yourself a PC

Such a useful comment for this discussion. I was a pc user for about 10 years. Then I saw the light. They don't write as many games for mac users but I have found macs wonderful. Once you go mac you never go back. Climb back under the bridge with the other trolls.

I have had some issues with my block releasing too. Yes, I am a proud mac user too.
  • KhajitFurTrader
    KhajitFurTrader
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    spoqster wrote: »
    I use the same mouse on a late 2013 27" iMac. I have not yet encountered any of the issues you've describe above.

Do you have the latest version of the Logitech Gaming Software (LGS, v.8.53.130) installed? Does your G600 run on the latest firmware? To check, click on Settings (the cogwheel) in the LGS window, then select G600 from the tabs in the Settings window. It should be U77.02_B0017. Be advised that Logitech sold at least two variants of the G600, and the older one(s) cannot be updated to the latest firmware version. Logitech CS sent me one of the newer variant after I got in touch with them, as my old G600 failed to get updated. I needed that update because of a cursor issue with the old model (suddenly looking 90° up or down in 3D games).

Edited to ask: do you use any game specific (software) profiles with ESO? I don't, I just adapted one of the three hardware-side profiles (stored in the mouse) to my needs.
    Edited by KhajitFurTrader on October 11, 2014 7:43PM
  • GreySix
    GreySix
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting, if useless, comment. I play ESO on a MacBook Pro, and my computer can boot either Mac OS X or Windows 7.

The game plays more smoothly when booted into Mac OS X, so your "glorified web browser" comment is revealed for the foolishness it is.
    Crotchety Old Man Guild

"Hey you, get off my lawn!"
  • ZOS_CatK
    ZOS_CatK
    ✭✭✭
    We have moved this thread to our Mac Support forum. It will find a more fitting home here. Please also remember to be constructive and supportive in your responses to OP's query.

Thank you.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Pinterest | YouTube | ESO Knowledge Base
    Staff Post
  • ExiledKhallisi
    ExiledKhallisi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    GreySix wrote: »

Interesting, if useless, comment. I play ESO on a MacBook Pro, and my computer can boot either Mac OS X or Windows 7.

The game plays more smoothly when booted into Mac OS X, so your "glorified web browser" comment is revealed for the foolishness it is.

Hipster Mac users getting mad about a simple comment made to just be funny....calm down bro go have a cappuccino.

I play the game o. Ultra using a 5yr old dell xps1645(laptop)
    Edited by ExiledKhallisi on October 12, 2014 3:40AM
    >>>>>>>>(DC)Guild Master of Biestas 250+ Active Members<<<<<<<<
    ||||||Vr14 Sorc: Darkened Soul vr14 Templar: Tiffaney||||||
    “Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
    ― Sun Tzu, The Art of War
  • spoqster
    spoqster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use the same mouse on a late 2013 27" iMac. I have not yet encountered any of the issues you've describe above.

Do you have the latest version of the Logitech Gaming Software (LGS, v.8.53.130) installed? Does your G600 run on the latest firmware? To check, click on Settings (the cogwheel) in the LGS window, then select G600 from the tabs in the Settings window. It should be U77.02_B0017. Be advised that Logitech sold at least two variants of the G600, and the older one(s) cannot be updated to the latest firmware version. Logitech CS sent me one of the newer variant after I got in touch with them, as my old G600 failed to get updated. I needed that update because of a cursor issue with the old model (suddenly looking 90° up or down in 3D games).

Edited to ask: do you use any game specific (software) profiles with ESO? I don't, I just adapted one of the three hardware-side profiles (stored in the mouse) to my needs.

I have the firmware version U77.00_B0012. So apparently it is outdated.

But do you really believe this due to the firmware version?

I'd really like to get some feedback from ZOS or the other players on how blocking is supposed to behave before I start a support project with Logitech.

Maybe all that I am noticing is just the way the game is intended.
  • KhajitFurTrader
    KhajitFurTrader
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I have the firmware version U77.00_B0012. So apparently it is outdated.

But do you really believe this due to the firmware version?

I'd really like to get some feedback from ZOS or the other players on how blocking is supposed to behave before I start a support project with Logitech.
    As I said, I have encountered some very strange effects, especially in MMOs, with the old variant/firmware of the G600. Suddenly looking skywards in the middle of a fight isn't the healthiest thing to do at times, even more so if it's entirely involuntary and unpredictable. :wink:

So making sure that you're on the latest firmware eliminates another possible cause for your issue. Besides, updating the firmware via LGS is quickly done, provided that your G600 variant allows it.
    Maybe all that I am noticing is just the way the game is intended.
    I would think that you're able to notice that when your Stamina runs out, the block is dropped despite your holding down the button. :wink:
  • spoqster
    spoqster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would think that you're able to notice that when your Stamina runs out, the block is dropped despite your holding down the button. :wink:

Yeah all of this was done on full stamina.

Last night I noticed another strange thing related to this issue. I was blocking attacks although the block was already down. So apparently the animation and the effect are not always in sync.

I am having a similar issue from day one with starting the block. An opponent starts a heavy attack and I press block during his swing. Even though my block is up before the swing connects I still get hit be the attack. Happens a lot with uppercuts. This feels extremely bugged because there is no correlation between effect and animation.

I've also noticed multiple cases where monsters can hit you although you are not in the area of their attack anymore. Happens a lot with Clanfers. They start an attack, and you run away. But even though you are far away when they finish their animation, you still get hit because you were close enough when they started.

In terms of how combat feels, all of these things are pretty big turn offs.

(and apparently my mouse version does not allow firmware updates)
    Edited by spoqster on October 16, 2014 11:01PM
  • KhajitFurTrader
    KhajitFurTrader
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Animation/effect de-syncing can happen for a lot of reasons, and occur in a lot of places. Usually it's insufficient to point one's finger to one place alone and say there it is. Could be server-side lag due to high levels of system workload, could be network packet loss and/or lag, could be hangups in the client's graphics engine or memory management. Some of it doesn't exist independently. MMOs are difficult beasts, because they have so many moving parts and parties to them.
    [and apparently my mouse version does not allow firmware updates]
    Get in contact with Logitech Customer Support. Describe your issue, and after providing them with the data they need (proof of purchase, mouse model/serial number), you should be good to get a newer model that supports the newer firmware updates. At least, this was my experience about half a year ago.
  • GreyBrow
    GreyBrow
    ✭✭✭✭
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/134820/block-drops-randomly

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/135418/broken-block-functionality-devs-please-respond#latest

it is not an issue with your mouse. It is an issue contained entirely within the Mac client, and has been present since [snip] launch.

I think people are finally getting fed up with it and beginning to realize "oh wow, so it's not just me?"

If zeni doesn't fix this next week i'm canceling my sub permanently. 6 months for a known bug to go unfixed is absolutely ridiculous

Edited by ZOS_UlyssesW on October 20, 2014 1:20PM
  • KhajitFurTrader
    KhajitFurTrader
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    GreyBrow wrote: »
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/134820/block-drops-randomly

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/135418/broken-block-functionality-devs-please-respond#latest

it is not an issue with your mouse. It is an issue contained entirely within the Mac client, and has been present since [snip] launch.
    The two threads you've linked aren't Mac specific. If it's a general problem, it doesn't seem to be widespread, or more people would report it more often. But it's annoying nonetheless, I admit, although I have yet to encounter it myself.

Btw, is this your first MMO? "Six months for a known bug to go unfixed" is so common in the genre, it's practically expected for the track record. :wink:

[Moderator Note: Edited quote to match moderated version]
    Edited by ZOS_UlyssesW on October 20, 2014 1:20PM
  • chris.dillman
    chris.dillman
    ✭✭✭
    We would like to thank everyone for the excellent feed back!

We were able to locate and fix the bug last night.

It will be pushed out in a future update.

-- Update 1 --

ESO is a very complex product, 10 millions lines of code at last count, millions or art and data assets.

Seemingly small fixes can effect many systems.

Bug fixes have at least a 2-3+ week lead time before they reach the live servers.

We will let you know when we have a firm time line.
    Edited by chris.dillman on October 20, 2014 5:18PM
    -- ESO -- Lead Mac Programmer...
    Staff Post
  • spoqster
    spoqster
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you guys! Will it make Update 5 or come in a smaller patch later?
  • GreyBrow
    GreyBrow
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thank god. Please please please release this ASAP. You've saved me having to make a windows partition and re-download the game.
  • GreyBrow
    GreyBrow
    ✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_CatK‌ , any word on whether or not this fix will be included in tomorrow's maintenance? Please and thank you :)
  • KhajitFurTrader
    KhajitFurTrader
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @ZOS_CatK‌ , any word on whether or not this fix will be included in tomorrow's maintenance? Please and thank you :)

It's just going to be regular maintenance.

Since the 1.5 version is already on the PTS, I guess any potential fix will come with 1.5.2 or 1.5.3, whichever version goes live.
  • GreyBrow
    GreyBrow
    ✭✭✭✭

Since the 1.5 version is already on the PTS, I guess any potential fix will come with 1.5.2 or 1.5.3, whichever version goes live.

IF this is the case, I swear to god I will unsub and never buy another zenimax product as long as I live. I suggest everyone else do the same.
  • KhajitFurTrader
    KhajitFurTrader
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

IF this is the case, I swear to god I will unsub and never buy another zenimax product as long as I live. I suggest everyone else do the same.

man Software Development

Doesn't make much sense to implement a fix into the 1.4 branch, when the 1.5 branch is already on the PTS, is being playtested, and actively developed/debugged based on all the bug reports that are flowing in. To add a fix for a specific issue there is so much easier than to add it to the former actively developed branch, because any patch for the older branch that comes from it would additionally need to go through QA and then pushed out to the live clients. This would take away work resources from the current branch and might even delay it.

So instead of over-dramatizing the issue, may I suggest that you keep a close eye to any upcoming PTR patch notes, and when you see your issue mentioned (not necessarily as a dedicated Mac issue), jump on the PTR and help with verifying that it has been correctly addressed?
  • GreyBrow
    GreyBrow
    ✭✭✭✭
    Seriously, you rush out a hotfix for cyrodiil in less than a week, but when a game breaking bug that has been present since launch is discovered, we get no real answer as to when/if it will be fixed and released?

You said you found/fixed it last week. If this is the case and you're not lying to appease people, what the literal *#%*# is the #%*#% holdup?
  • GreyBrow
    GreyBrow
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh yeah just let me waste more of my time and money downloading 40 GB to do the job were all paying someone else to do.

Why don't you try paying for a non-functional broken product for 6 months and then tell me how you feel. If you're not experiencing this bug, good for you. Stop posting and justifying this crap excuse.

The fact that they have to code it for 1.4.x and then recode it for 1.5.x doesn't really sound like my problem, now does it? The simple fact of the matter is that we pay for a product, expecting the same experience that other users get. When the company fails to deliver that product as advertised, we are fully justified in expecting recompense.

In addition, "balance" is supposedly a huge concern for the developers, and when you have a situation in which a certain population cannot properly use one of the only 4 basic functions of the game (attack, ability, dodge, block), that sounds like a pretty [snip] huge balance issue, don't you think?

Edited by ZOS_UlyssesW on October 20, 2014 1:22PM
  • spoqster
    spoqster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seriously, you rush out a hotfix for cyrodiil in less than a week, but when a game breaking bug that has been present since launch is discovered, we get no real answer as to when/if it will be fixed and released?

You said you found/fixed it last week. If this is the case and you're not lying to appease people, what the literal *#%*# is the #%*#% holdup?

I am with KFT on this. And believe me that issue is driving me mad. As a tank blocking is somewhat crucial, and playing DSA with this issue is russian roulette.

I believe that if they are not hotfixing it then there is a reason to that. They found the issue, but maybe it is hard to fix. It is probably something more complex, such as a system issue with the way input from peripherals is handed through to the game and not a simple typo.

They've built a great and complex game, don't get too upset. Maybe hold off for a week or two until it is fixed.
  • GreyBrow
    GreyBrow
    ✭✭✭✭
    Furthermore, I highly doubt that Devs have to touch any of the code concerning basic game functions like attacking and blocking when they release a new update, so your arguement doesn't really make any sense.
  • GreyBrow
    GreyBrow
    ✭✭✭✭

-- Update 1 --

ESO is a very complex product, 10 millions lines of code at last count, millions or art and data assets.

Bug fixes have at least a 2-3+ week lead time before they reach the live servers.

Three weeks and no news... Come on man.

Is this fix in tomorrow's maintenance?
  • spoqster
    spoqster
    ✭✭✭✭✭

-- Update 1 --

Three weeks and no news... Come on man.

Is this fix in tomorrow's maintenance?

I would also like to know.