My concern about the Igneous Shield change

Stamden
Stamden
✭✭✭✭✭
First of all I would like to thank you ZoS for giving one of the DK skills something that would benefit a healing archetype. Up until now, the idea of a DK healer is pretty much unheard of, and for good reason. I mean, all the other classes get other things that benefit a healing build like other heals or much better resource management. So I am glad you are giving DKs a chance to step out of their comfort zone and try healing.

However, there is one problem with the Igneous Shield change that I see. It is a damage shield, which prolongs the life of someone by giving them extra damage they can take before their actual HP gets effected. The healing buff only lasts for 6 seconds, and you can't heal damage shields. What I am saying is that the effects of a damage shield and healing cancel each other out.

Lets say you use the ability, your whole group now has a damage shield on them. It is probably going to take more then 6 seconds for enough damage to be done to the players so that the damage shield is over and you can actually start healing them. Even in the ideal scenario where someones shield is broken before the 6 seconds, they will still be at full health then and not in need of heals.

So what I suggest is that the bonus has the same duration as the shield does, which is 24 seconds. If not that, then I suppose the levels of the skill could make the time higher. Like 2 seconds every level. So for Igneous Shield 1 it would be 6, for 2 it would be 8, for 3 it would be 10, and when the skill is maxed it is 12.
Edited by Stamden on June 8, 2014 6:45AM
PC NA

~Currently taking a break from the game until my DK can become something more than just a crafter~
  • Comaetilico
    Comaetilico
    ✭✭✭
    or... you can use your AoE shield to get enough time for your AoE OVER TIME HEAL to tick after some big AoE without the danger of some random hit killing someone before your OVER TIME heal have done it's works ^^

with the addition of the bonus healing this role fit the shield even better... after the big AoE first thing you pop the shield than you pop grand heal (or any of its morphs) as a result you don't risk the random hit to kill a low health player (since shield will be his lifeline) and in the meanwhile your AoE heal will heal for more... that is the same kind of use as the single target shield in the resto staff... since the shield amount is based on the missing health you don't want to cast it on full health people... you use it when someone is low in order to give yourself time to heal him while the shield gives him a life buffer... remember that non templar healer are based around over time heals and not burst healing ;)
  • GTech_1
    GTech_1
    ✭✭✭✭
    I agree with almost everything that @Comaetilico‌ said, except:

The Resto staff shield is also Very useful, as a preemptive damage reducer, against single target Large hits, provided you can predict the hit (Storm Atronachs on Tempest Island, I'm lookin' at you).
    The Resto shield is particularly useful on targets below 50% or so health, so that is when I use it most often. However, the absolute Best use, imo, is with the Healing Shield morph on a low HP DPS that is just getting out of harms way. When the shield expires, they are healed for the remaining absorb amount.

This is an excellent setup for us as healers, since it allows us to make split-second judgement calls, based on the situation, and those decisions actually matter.

3 distinct uses for the same spell = a Very good design
  • Stamden
    Stamden
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    or... you can use your AoE shield to get enough time for your AoE OVER TIME HEAL to tick after some big AoE without the danger of some random hit killing someone before your OVER TIME heal have done it's works ^^

with the addition of the bonus healing this role fit the shield even better... after the big AoE first thing you pop the shield than you pop grand heal (or any of its morphs) as a result you don't risk the random hit to kill a low health player (since shield will be his lifeline) and in the meanwhile your AoE heal will heal for more... that is the same kind of use as the single target shield in the resto staff... since the shield amount is based on the missing health you don't want to cast it on full health people... you use it when someone is low in order to give yourself time to heal him while the shield gives him a life buffer... remember that non templar healer are based around over time heals and not burst healing ;)

But that is a very situational time that your group is going to need 6 seconds of extra heals. I suppose in trials/dungeon bosses the group could hit be hit with heavy AoE, but in everyday use (I'm thinking more of PvP) having something as short term as 6 seconds seems redundant.
    PC NA

~Currently taking a break from the game until my DK can become something more than just a crafter~
  • GTech_1
    GTech_1
    ✭✭✭✭
    6 seconds = 6 ticks of your chosen Grand healing morph AND 3 ticks of your chosen Regen morph.
    A 6 second damage shield is very effective in ESO. Think of it as though it is *almost* a 6 second "pause button" for incoming damage. A quality healer can do Remarkable things in 6 seconds.
  • Konou
    Konou
    ✭✭
    Igneous Shield in combination with green dragon blood! Very nice for selfheal. ^^
  • Custos91
    Custos91
    ✭✭✭
    I am actually leveling a DK now for pvp healing, with things like magma armor and the shield morph it seems quite powerfull
    Warden Main apparently... 7 Wardens currently, otherwise a healer of every class.
    Mostly active in No CP PVP on EU, blaming the buffbot meta in pve.
    I want to feel like I am saving somebodies life, not like I am carrying amunition for them...
  • Stamden
    Stamden
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Custos91 wrote: »
    I am actually leveling a DK now for pvp healing, with things like magma armor and the shield morph it seems quite powerfull
    Magma shell is okay, but barrier basically does the same thing without them having to activate a synergy.
    PC NA

• Custos91
    Custos91
    ✭✭✭
    Basically the same is true, but the magma shell is cheaper then a barrier, and it is stronger, barrier scales of max health, so most barriers are not stronger then 1.3 k health, the magma armor thing gives you a shield for 85% max health, means with at least 2.5 k health you get 2125 shield of it, I am with my templar healer atm normally at 3k+ health, so I would get about 2550 shield from using the synergy....
    with the repelnishing barier morph the magicka back from this abbility is stronger, and the ultimate back will most likely equal the less cost of magma shell.
    But I like to cast the ultimate more often, and the shell is more versatile, you get a personal CD, aoe dmg around you and that shield for everyone that uses it in the next 10.8 seconds.
    I think the shell is stronger. Much stronger.
    Warden Main apparently... 7 Wardens currently, otherwise a healer of every class.
    I want to feel like I am saving somebodies life, not like I am carrying amunition for them...
  • Catches_the_Sun
    Catches_the_Sun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Igneous Shield in combination with green dragon blood! Very nice for selfheal. ^^

And using 30+% of your total magicka.
    Catches-the-Sun - Argonian Templar - Master Smith, Provisioner, Chemist & Tailor
    Valaren Arobone - Dunmer Flamewalker - Master Woodworker, Provisioner, Assassin
    Kazahad - Khajiiti Arcane Archer - Master Thief
    V'orkten - Redguard Swordmaster
    Finnvardr the Frenzied - Werewolf Berzerker
  • Stamden
    Stamden
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Custos91 wrote: »
    Basically the same is true, but the magma shell is cheaper then a barrier, and it is stronger, barrier scales of max health, so most barriers are not stronger then 1.3 k health, the magma armor thing gives you a shield for 85% max health, means with at least 2.5 k health you get 2125 shield of it, I am with my templar healer atm normally at 3k+ health, so I would get about 2550 shield from using the synergy....
    with the repelnishing barier morph the magicka back from this abbility is stronger, and the ultimate back will most likely equal the less cost of magma shell.
    But I like to cast the ultimate more often, and the shell is more versatile, you get a personal CD, aoe dmg around you and that shield for everyone that uses it in the next 10.8 seconds.
    I think the shell is stronger. Much stronger.

Well I am thinking along the lines of the last 30% of the mage fight, which stopping all your DPS to cast Magma Shell would not be worth the extra protection you get vs barrier.
    PC NA

• Custos91
    Custos91
    ✭✭✭

Well I am thinking along the lines of the last 30% of the mage fight, which stopping all your DPS to cast Magma Shell would not be worth the extra protection you get vs barrier.

Completely true, but in stacked up situation like this you wouldn't be able to use most synergy effects, because there arre to many around^^
    Sot it is synergy in stacked up, stressed, situation <<< Barrier, NB ultimate, Templar ultimate.

I just like the additional potential the shell has vs barrier^^
    on top of that not everyone has barrier, for example me, who started his dk on this weekend^^
    And I guess I would have to look into the morphs of the barrier, I am just using replenishing for most of the time on my templar, because its easy to decide when I shuld use what, with 2 absorb ultimates availible I would have to do more testing.