Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

TESO and OSX 10.10 Yosemite

Carmina
Carmina
✭✭✭
Morning, just a quick note: Apple introduced a preview of their new OS yesterday, called Yosemite. The first beta does work with TESO.

C.
  • Randay
    Randay
    ✭✭✭
    thanks for the information. i was curious whether or not it would
    if less really is more, then maybe nothing is everything
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for heads up @Carmina. Not sure it will change much for us but good to know it doesn't break it either ;)

The introduction of Metal wont impact OS X from what's been published to date, just iOS (ARM 7) Hopefully they will push OGL to 4.4 but again it probably wont mean much change for ESO. But hopefully for Mac gaming in the future.

There should also be similar speed ups at the graphic API level anyhow as were discussed at GDC '14 via OpenGL as it is.

EDIT: Looks like they have not updated OpenGL at all currently as it appears still at 4.1. It's early days so hopefully this gets added before launch.
    Edited by Moonraker on June 3, 2014 12:20PM
  • raffaeleg
    raffaeleg
    ✭✭✭
    Does not work for me. But could be also the new patch after the server updates. Only the launcher/patcher ran properly. iMac 12,1 16 GB core i7
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    raffaeleg wrote: »
    Does not work for me. But could be also the new patch after the server updates. Only the launcher/patcher ran properly. iMac 12,1 16 GB core i7
    I'm able to launch and play no problem after 1.1.3 update with 10.9.3 just for info.
  • raffaeleg
    raffaeleg
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks Moonraker I will try again tonight, I see what options I have and I'll let you know here
  • raffaeleg
    raffaeleg
    ✭✭✭
    Moonraker wrote: »
    I'm able to launch and play no problem after 1.1.3 update with 10.9.3 just for info.

Btw I mean doesn't work with OS X 10.10 "Yosemite" beta as Carmina mentioned at the top of this post.
    Edited by raffaeleg on June 3, 2014 12:51PM
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    raffaeleg wrote: »

Btw I mean doesn't work with OS X 10.10 "Yosemite" beta as Carmina mentioned at the top of this post.
    I guessed ;) Just wanted to confirm it appears to be working fine under current 10.9.3 with patch 1.1.3.
  • Carmina
    Carmina
    ✭✭✭
    Just a little update after playing around a little. I am still saying it works, but it crashes more often than the normal Mac version does (the infamous 3hr crash). Seems to have trouble when you do things like change from fullscreen to windowed and stuff like that. But no weird problems.
    On a sidenote: There are things which will not work with Yosemite, as usual, so please do not just back up for the heck of it.

C.

P.S. In case not working and working may be hardware related: 27" iMac Late 2012 2GB graphics, 16GB RAM...
  • doronadlerrwb17_ESO
    doronadlerrwb17_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    Hello,

I just tried to see if ESO runs on the first beta release of Aplle's OS X 10.10 (Yosemite) and (as others have already noted) It does :)

However, the App froze when I hit the "Quit" option. I have created a "Process Dump" Sample_of_eso_20140604_181833.txt so your developers might be able to understand what went wrong. I also attached a couple of screenshots showing ESO running on the upcoming OS :p

Keep up the wonderful work (*)

a4uuj10umf3m.jpg
    ynacpx156fwn.jpg
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    @doronadlerrwb17_ESO thanks, cool screenshots ;)

I doubt it's priority yet for developers ;) But I'm sure it will all be ready for 10.10 launch which is still a way off and naturally not supported until then.

Good thing for compatibility, from specifications published all exiting Macs that can run ESO should still be able to do so under 10.10.
    Edited by Moonraker on June 4, 2014 8:31PM
  • doronadlerrwb17_ESO
    doronadlerrwb17_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    I doubt it's priority yet for developers ;) But I'm sure it will all be ready for 10.10 launch which is still a way off and naturally not supported until then.

Sure :)
    I know there is still a whole lot of time until 10.10 becomes relevant (and that beta #1 is nothing you want to test for stability with) :)
    Well, I don't know if this freeze was related to 10.10 specifically or not (it's anyway rather minor, with it happening after choosing to quit :D ). I though you guys still might want to have the related info in case this freeze can also occur in other scenarios / OS version (or not) :p

AK::DSP::CStereoDelayLine::ProcessBuffer(AkAudioBuffer*, AkAudioBuffer*, AkStereoDelayChannelParams*, AkStereoDelayChannelParams*, AkStereoDelayFilterParams&, bool) (in eso) + 160823 [0xbc26a9] called __close (in libsystem_kernel.dylib) + 10 [0x9b496196] which never returned and the spinning beach-ball of death appeared :D
  • LavaDrop
    LavaDrop
    Increasing OpenGL versions won't change anything unless the game's engine is updated as well. It's been said that driver overhead optimizations will require OpenGL 4>.
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    LavaDrop wrote: »
    Increasing OpenGL versions won't change anything unless the game's engine is updated as well. It's been said that driver overhead optimizations will require OpenGL 4>.
    It's what I said above. It was just incidental to the dialogue on 10.10 ;)

From the GDC '14 session it seemed to imply that optimisations on OGL could be implemented with no changes so that this at least would work with existing 3.x. (or earlier?);
    AMD’s Graham Sellers, Intel’s Tim Foley, and our own Cass Everitt and John McDonald appeared on the same panel to explain the high-level concepts available in today’s OpenGL implementations that reduce driver overhead by up to 10x or more
    source

So it's something that 'could' be relevant at some point in the nearer future which could help ESO Mac client.

Maybe for Metal I have not read so beyond the announcement details but that's for iOS.
  • LavaDrop
    LavaDrop
    Yeah, unless Apple announces any changes, it's an iOS exclusive. Just from a platform perspective things are completely different: The Mac is dependent on Nvidia/AMD support, whereas Apple controls drivers with PowerVR chipsets on iDevices. Also, the SoC Apple uses is a RISC design.
    Edited by LavaDrop on June 9, 2014 2:58AM
  • _subjectnamehere_
    _subjectnamehere_
    ✭✭✭
    Do you think updating our OS on the mac will help with the constant crashes we experience playing this game as well as the lag in Cyrodiil?
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Do you think updating our OS on the mac will help with the constant crashes we experience playing this game as well as the lag in Cyrodiil?
    No.

If you have the latest current OS X 10.9.3 then it will likely make little difference. And TBH introducing a beta OS version is just adding another layer of potential problems as it wont be officially supported until released as one would expect (although it seems to run fine in current 10.10 build that's only a small sample)

From reading the drivers are no different (or only incremental bump) and OpenGL version is the same still. Even if they update OpenGL support it wont make a difference to ESO as it is using lower level.
    Edited by Moonraker on June 29, 2014 1:31PM
  • Denus
    Denus
    Soul Shriven
    I'm running Yosemite DP2 plus several updates, and well.... TESO is running quite ok but it's very sluggish. Sometimes during combat, nothing happens during one or two seconds then suddenly everything is happening at the same time. There's also a kind of tearing, not enjoyable.

I didn't had this issue with Maverick.

I think the Yosemite video drivers are not very up-to-date yet.

My system: iMac 27' late 2012, 3.4GHz i7, GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 16GB ram. Network via Ethernet (cable).
  • KhajitFurTrader
    KhajitFurTrader
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The current code of OS X Weed Yosemite very likely still contains debug and profiling symbols, to make bug location and optimization easier. I have DP5 running in a VM, and, since the VMware tools' kernel extensions don't seem to fit well yet either, the UI runs poorly. :P
  • Sarulas
    Sarulas
    Soul Shriven
    Denus wrote: »
    I'm running Yosemite DP2 plus several updates, and well.... TESO is running quite ok but it's very sluggish. Sometimes during combat, nothing happens during one or two seconds then suddenly everything is happening at the same time. There's also a kind of tearing, not enjoyable.

I didn't had this issue with Maverick.

I think the Yosemite video drivers are not very up-to-date yet.

My system: iMac 27' late 2012, 3.4GHz i7, GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 16GB ram. Network via Ethernet (cable).

I'm having the same problem game has become sluggish and laggy
    Edited by Sarulas on October 25, 2014 9:06PM
  • KhajitFurTrader
    KhajitFurTrader
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Sarulas wrote: »

Hi @Sarulas,

please see this thread here, and especially Chris' answer here, regarding ESO on OS X 10.10 Yosemite. It would be very helpful if you could post your system's specs over there as well (Apple Menu > About this Mac, sans S/N).

Since Exhibit A (this very thread itself) mainly was about the developer preview of 10.10, I think it should be abandoned, because the focus has wandered elsewhere.
  • Sarulas
    Sarulas
    Soul Shriven
    Sarulas wrote: »

Hi @Sarulas,

please see this thread here, and especially Chris' answer here, regarding ESO on OS X 10.10 Yosemite. It would be very helpful if you could post your system's specs over there as well (Apple Menu > About this Mac, sans S/N).

Since Exhibit A (this very thread itself) mainly was about the developer preview of 10.10, I think it should be abandoned, because the focus has wandered elsewhere.

Cheers mate