Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

OS X Yosemite

radicalb21
radicalb21
✭✭✭
OS X Yosemite available. Announced today at Apple Media Event. Is ESO ready for Yosemite?
  • Publius_Scipio
    Publius_Scipio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I was just about to start the same exact thread when I saw this one. I have the same exact question. I hope that the mac team at ZOS has been playing around with the Yosemite beta releases.

I'd like to upgrade to Yosemite but will it and ESO play nice together? Should I wait to upgrade until ZOS gives the compatibility thumbs up?
  • chris.dillman
    chris.dillman
    ✭✭✭
    We have not yet officially tested Yosemite. The plan is to get it installed this week and start QA on it.
    -- ESO -- Lead Mac Programmer...
    Staff Post
  • Publius_Scipio
    Publius_Scipio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the response Chris. Do you think it is ok to go ahead and update to Yosemite, or should we hold off (as to not affect ESO in any way)?
  • KhajitFurTrader
    KhajitFurTrader
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    In an earlier thread, it was reported that ESO seemed to run quite well on the OS X 10.10 developer previews.

I tell me every time that I should wait for the x.y.1 release, in the hope that at least the roughest unforeseen snags and kinks have been ironed out by then. But I never seem to listen...
  • Dimillian
    Dimillian
    ✭✭✭
    I run it on Yosemite since the DP1, and I'm now on the final release. Works perfectly. I lost some FPS, it might be due to Yosemite, or to ESO update. Anyway nothing big.
  • DrYac
    DrYac
    Greetz.
    BIG PROBLEM.
    On my iMAC : mid 2013, 2,9 GHz i5, 16 GB RAM, GF GT 650 M 512 MB, Fusion drive.
    after installing Yosemite ESO went SOOOOO stuttery - huge frame drop - not able to play.
    Reverted to Mav thru time machine and everything is good again.
    Edited by DrYac on October 18, 2014 8:55AM
    iMac 21,5 late 2012, 2,9 GHz i5, 16 GB ram, GF GT 650M 512 MB.
  • onesimo78
    onesimo78
    Soul Shriven
    same problem. pls, fix it :'(
  • radicalb21
    radicalb21
    ✭✭✭
    Did you DrYac and Onesimo78 do a clean install of the Mac OS X Yosemite? I'll try and help if you can give me some more info.
  • Calmyron
    Calmyron
    I can confirm this problem as well. Downgraded my graphics to get to 50-60 FPS in non-critical areas and it still drops to about 5 FPS during battles and other situations with a lot of NPCs or long distances in view.

MacBook Pro (2012) 2.3ghz, 16gb RAM, nVidia 650m 512mb cache

Yes, clean install.
  • Calmyron
    Calmyron
    At one point, if I pointed the camera at the ground, the FPS would shoot up to 60 FPS. Once I raised it to target the mob again, it dropped to 6 FPS immediately.
  • Calmyron
    Calmyron
    Oh, and the memory leak seems to be back. It's not crashing ESO though, just draining the available memory and then slowing to a crawl.
  • DrYac
    DrYac
    radicalb21 wrote: »
    Did you DrYac and Onesimo78 do a clean install of the Mac OS X Yosemite? I'll try and help if you can give me some more info.

Updated system thru Mac App Store. Everything else in the system worked fine.
  • Ysgralittle
    Ysgralittle
    Soul Shriven
    I had the same problem this morning. Was running on High with no problems before Yosemite and had to downgrade to Medium after upgrading. Hopefully this issue will be addressed sometime this week. Memory leak is still a problem.
  • onesimo78
    onesimo78
    Soul Shriven
    Also for me... Updated system thru Mac App Store. Everything else in the system worked fine.
  • Nova Sky
    Nova Sky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This thread is quite informative. Based on what I've seen, I'll wait to upgrade to Yosemite.

I'm serious, too, when I say this: Thank goodness for the cutting-edge folks who put this on their machines and found out, for better or for worse, how ESO interacts with Yosemite.
    "Wheresoever you go, go with all of your heart."
  • lecarcajou_ESO
    lecarcajou_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've actually noticed a significant improvement in frame rates when running ESO in fullscreen mode after upgrading to Yosemite. Still not what it used to be, and there are sudden drops, but now windowed and fullscreen mode fps is about the same. Strangely, the resolution drop menu still refuses to stick, although the selected setting is applied.
    "Morally Decentralized."
  • KhajitFurTrader
    KhajitFurTrader
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Switched to 10.10 on my main machine (27" iMac late 2013, Core i7 3.5 GHz, 24 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB VRAM) this evening. Unchanged (from 10.9.5) graphics settings:

Display mode: Fullscreen
    Resolution: 2560x1440 (is empty on start, setting doesn't stick. Doesn't need to, since fullscreen implies native resolution)
    • Graphics quality: Custom (modified from Ultra-high)
      • Texture Quality: High
      • SubSampling Quality: High
      • Shadow Quality: Medium (down from high, the single most performance improvement)
      • Water Reflection Quality: Medium (default)
      • Max. Particle Systems: 1024 (default)
      • Particle Suppression Distance: 50 (default)
      • View Distance: 60 (down from 100)

Everything else is ON, with the exception of VSYNC, which is and stays OFF. Keep in mind that the overall Graphics Quality setting will set some inherent values. Starting with a lower Graphics Quality setting and then upping individual settings may produce better results than the other way around.

I had no FPS drop. On landscape, FPS hovered around 40, inside delves it was around 50. Splashing water beneath waterfalls brought FPS down to around 28. All in all, it is a very slight improvement, up from around 38/45/25 FPS on 10.9. Could be the newer drivers in 10.10.

I have yet to jump into the fray in Cyrodiil, and I will certainly test on the PTS as well, if time allows. Busy week ahead. :smile:
    Edited by KhajitFurTrader on October 19, 2014 8:44PM
  • chris.dillman
    chris.dillman
    ✭✭✭
    Hi Everyone,

When Apple ships a new os they also ship out new OpenGL drivers.

This means new and exciting bugs!

You can see from the thread that ESO works fine on some GPUs and not on others.

What would help us a lot is if everyone can post their hardware specs and if ESO is running well or not.

With that information we will need to track down the the specific broken hardware and try and work around the bugs. This might mean we need to go out and physically buy that machine.
    This takes time.
    Theres generally no fast fix to these kinds of bugs.

Our advice is not to upgrade to 10.10 if you don't actually need it.

---

Calmyron,

When the FPS drops to 5 do you see any 3D models that appear all BLACK?

This would indicated that a shader broke somehow.

When this happens we have seen GPUS drop to 5-8FPS on top end gear.
    Staff Post
  • KhajitFurTrader
    KhajitFurTrader
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Chris, would it help if the file ~/Documents/Elder Scrolls Online/live/ShaderCache.cooked (liveeu for EU server) is deleted? The game will rebuild it anyway.
  • barrrt
    barrrt
    ✭✭✭
    Played for about 6-8 hours on Yosemite so far (all in Windowed mode, full screen other than menu and dock) and other than usual Cyrodiil crashes (i.e. same as under Mavericks), I have not had any issues. Big plus - ZOSCrashReporter actually now works. Under Mavericks it would just beachball forever when the game crashed.

My specs: 2013 27" iMac, i7 3.5GHz, 24GB RAM, GeForce GTX 780M 4GB.
    EP: Veren Sailenar - 50 DK : Isabeau Sette Tyne - 50 Sorc : This-One-Lizard-Yes - 50 Templar : Lililia Adal - 50 NB : Solea Caro - 50 DK : Igor with Vigor - 50 Sorc : Slightly-Delays-Death - 50 Templar : Balki Barthel - 50 Warden : Willowshade Roxie - 50 Warden : Violetha Adal - 50 Templar : Andriel Greenarrow - 50 NB: Fleshy Leon - 50 Necro: Bonita Lacrimosa - 50 Nacro
    AD: Kael Spellbinder - 50 Templar
    DC: Sharrku gra-Dusku - 50 NB
  • Calmyron
    Calmyron
    When the FPS drops to 5 do you see any 3D models that appear all BLACK?

No, I've never seen anything like that. I did change my distance from 50 to 0 and it helped a smidge. I can at least roam the land without spikes in the single digits, although I still get into the mid-teens. Fights are still a disaster though.
  • Gix
    Gix
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't frequent the forums too often but I figured I'd pitch in.

Late 2013 Mac Pro (Xeon E5) with 27" thunderbolt display running Yosemite @2560x1440 maximum ESO graphics.

No problems found besides the occasional (yet not as often as it used to) Cyrodiil crash.
  • Sarulas
    Sarulas
    Soul Shriven
    Since 10.10 I have had to turn all my graphics down as getting a really bad frame rate almost like game is on vert sync which it isn't. I have notices it gets worse when around mobs other players or water which dosn't leave much left in the game to do. I wish i hadn't have updated my mac as it was more of a major downgrade those anyone have a eta on how long it will take to fix? My mac spec is.

Model Name: iMac
    Model Identifier: iMac13,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core i5
    Processor Speed: 2.9 GHz
    Number of Processors: 1
    Total Number of Cores: 4
    L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
    L3 Cache: 6 MB
    Memory: 8 GB
    Boot ROM Version: IM131.010A.B05
    SMC Version (system): 2.9f5
  • KhajitFurTrader
    KhajitFurTrader
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @Sarulas,

some things you could test to see whether this alleviates the issue in any way:
    • temporarily disable or uninstall all add-ons for testing purposes -- in the past, some have been known to be detrimental to FPS, especially if they were not updated after a patch hit
    • you might also think about backing up your UserSettings.txt file, then delete it, so the game starts with fresh settings
    • if you haven't already, connect your Mac to the router via network cable. The issues WiFi can bring to the table (packet losses, TCP latency) can also negatively influence FPS
    • in the game's settings, set the (overall) Graphics Quality to Low, apply settings and quit the game (this will influence values that are not reachable via UI), then
    • delete the ShaderCache.cooked file I've describe above, then
    • restart the game and set the other Quality settings up as you see fit (the main Graphics Quality setting will change to "Custom")
    • even in the Ultra-High Graphics Quality setting, Water Reflection Quality is set to Medium by default, so don't set it higher than that, and while Shadow Quality is Ultra-High by default, I find it best to set it no higher than Medium, since it has by far the largest impact on performance.
    • you seem to have the late 2012 21.5" iMac with the Nvidia GeForce GT 650M and 512 MByte VRAM. Setting View Distance to values no higher than 20-30 will help with preserving video memory. The default for Low quality is even smaller than that.
    • VSYNC should be off at all times
    • try to switch off Anti-Aliasing, if the display doesn't get too ugly without it. This will also help to preserve video memory.

Edited to add: the OS X Mavericks installation app is still available in the App Store (in the category "Purchases"). To be frank, while I have been successfully upgrading my small flotilla of Macs over the years, I've never attempted a downgrade, I don't even know whether that's possible. But whatever you decide to do, always make sure you have a current backup of your data, preferably one that can be easily restored (e.g. via network/external disk boot and Time Machine).
    Edited by KhajitFurTrader on October 26, 2014 9:27PM
  • Ebonwind
    Ebonwind
    ✭✭✭✭
    MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012)
    2.3 GHz Intel Core i7
    16 GB DDR Ram
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 512 MB
    Yes extreme frame drop in Medium and High Graphic Settings. Almost unplayable due to Low Frame drops. Also runs much hotter than before Yosemite. Up to 90 Degrees Cel.
  • chris.dillman
    chris.dillman
    ✭✭✭

Try this…

Find eso.app in the finder.
    Select it
    Chose: File Menu / Get info
    Turn on Prevent App Nap.

That could be causing some of the issues.

On A Mac Book Pro Retina with GT 650m set to Medium
    We see frames rates in out doors PVE, 30-50 Range.

Staff Post
  • DrYac
    DrYac
    @Sarulas,

I've never attempted a downgrade, I don't even know whether that's possible. But whatever you decide to do, always make sure you have a current backup of your data, preferably one that can be easily restored (e.g. via network/external disk boot and Time Machine).

On my iMac (2013) I made a prefectly working full downgrade from Yosemite to Mav (because this ESO issues). Just chose recovery mode from Time Machine.
  • KhajitFurTrader
    KhajitFurTrader
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    DrYac wrote: »
    @Sarulas,

I've never attempted a downgrade, I don't even know whether that's possible. But whatever you decide to do, always make sure you have a current backup of your data, preferably one that can be easily restored (e.g. via network/external disk boot and Time Machine).

On my iMac (2013) I made a prefectly working full downgrade from Yosemite to Mav (because this ESO issues). Just chose recovery mode from Time Machine.
    You're right, of course. My thinking was overly complicated. ;)
  • Sarulas
    Sarulas
    Soul Shriven
    Hey again guys I tried everything above i have had a slight improvement but it's still bad unfortunately i'm un able to use time machine as I don't have a hard drive ='(
  • Sarulas
    Sarulas
    Soul Shriven
    Hey guys thanks for your help your advice and the steps on this link helped I still have a little lag but hopefully it will do until they patch it up
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6623697