Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Patch 1.0.8 - Confirmed Mac Memory Leak Fixes in Patch Notes

Publius_Scipio
Publius_Scipio
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
Ok guys, another patch (1.0.8 ) explicitly stating Mac client fixes (memory leak) in the patch notes.

Let's hope this is the one! Cross your fingers and report back on these forums to let us know!
Edited by Publius_Scipio on May 12, 2014 4:14PM
  • Yshaar
    Yshaar
    ✭✭✭
    Short: Yay!
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Can you please post feedback to thread I already made will help to keep it in one place. Thanks.
    Edited by Moonraker on May 12, 2014 4:18PM
  • achimb16_ESO3
    achimb16_ESO3
    ✭✭
    I think that patch note was a lie to pacify annoyed Mac users. Obviously nothing has changed, it might even be worse than in 1.0.7 according to user reports.
  • KhajitFurTrader
    KhajitFurTrader
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think that patch note was a lie to pacify annoyed Mac users. Obviously nothing has changed, it might even be worse than in 1.0.7 according to user reports.

Huh? Even while admitting that you lack first-hand experience yourself, you accuse other people of lying intentionally? On what grounds? Oh, I see, to "pacify annoyed Mac users" (i.e.: you). Well, that's your pet theory, and while I in no way want to deny you having an opinion, I nevertheless don't think it to be a very informed one.

For all we know (and we don't, or won't ever), there could be a hundred places in the code that can cause the memory management to bug out situationally. Take one down, patch it round... They fix them as they sees them.

But seriously, I have absolutely no doubt that issues are getting gradually fixed. Compared to client runtimes during beta, things have definitely improved a lot since back then, no-one can deny that. And they will continue to improve.

Do not expect a "miracle patch" that fixes every last issue in one go. Software development, and more important, software debugging, does not work that way. Impatience doesn't help one bit along the way.
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's been explained a number of times how it probably works in fixing this type of issue by quite a few different players with some knowledge of development.

It's a shame you feel to the need to use such terms, especially given that there are plenty of posts confirming the gradual improvement over time which backs up the notes.

The issue continues to be worked on and personally I would prefer the fixes, however small for this issue to go in ASAP once tested even if they are only incremental.

I would be really interested to see the crash report summaries showing it is getting worse but they don't seem to get posted.
    Edited by Moonraker on May 14, 2014 2:51PM
  • achimb16_ESO3
    achimb16_ESO3
    ✭✭
    Those reports cannot be posted because the CrashReporter hangs with a SWOD itself. So as long as they don't fix the CrashReporter ... posting the result of killing the game by cmd-alt-esc doesn't usually give a helpful crash report since the OOM can happen at random moments (mostly triggered by many players running by in towns or other crowded areas).

There were months of beta tests (the CrashReporter still worked in beta and they must have hundreds if not thousands of crash reports for this issue), and the game has been live for over a month now - so I think I have every right to get impatient as a paying customer.
  • KhajitFurTrader
    KhajitFurTrader
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Those reports cannot be posted because the CrashReporter hangs with a SWOD itself. So as long as they don't fix the CrashReporter ... posting the result of killing the game by cmd-alt-esc doesn't usually give a helpful crash report since the OOM can happen at random moments (mostly triggered by many players running by in towns or other crowded areas).

There were months of beta tests (the CrashReporter still worked in beta and they must have hundreds if not thousands of crash reports for this issue), and the game has been live for over a month now - so I think I have every right to get impatient as a paying customer.

The ESO CrashReporter is still working. I use it all the time. :wink:
    On very rare occasions it doesn't pop up and the Crash Reporter of OS X steps in instead.

And of course you have every right to decide to get impatient. As long as you're aware that it will avail you nothing, and that it only spoils the fun you could be having instead. But that choice is everyone's prerogative. :awesome: :smiley:
  • achimb16_ESO3
    achimb16_ESO3
    ✭✭
    I just hope the CrashReporter works for most of you so the reports arrive at the devs and are worked on with highest priority (as reproducible crashes should).

It's not fun to get RIPped out of immersion by those persistant crashes (pun intended, sometimes it leads to death and so to lost money due to repairs), at least that's not my understanding of "fun". I'd like to go to Cyrodiil to join the big scale fights, but hearing the crashes happen even more often there I put that aside for now. So much for "play as you want to".
  • Seedier
    Seedier
    ✭✭
    Much more frequent crashes now... having to use cmd-opt-shift-esc to get out of it, so no way to send a meaningful crash report in... but both screen freezing (not lag, as fps > 35-40, but will suddenly just freeze for 10-20 sec, resulting often in death, so not server lag either as mobs obviously keep bashing on me) and hangs/crashes much more frequent with latest iteration.
    Whatever they've done, it certainly hasn't fixed the problem....
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Seedier wrote: »
    Much more frequent crashes now... having to use cmd-opt-shift-esc to get out of it, so no way to send a meaningful crash report in... but both screen freezing (not lag, as fps > 35-40, but will suddenly just freeze for 10-20 sec, resulting often in death, so not server lag either as mobs obviously keep bashing on me) and hangs/crashes much more frequent with latest iteration.
    Whatever they've done, it certainly hasn't fixed the problem....
    There are some reports of freezing generally on PC so maybe related.
    I never have any problem like this, only occasionally in peak times some lag but it's not often and I haven't had a freeze crash for ages back in beta.

Nothing in the Mac fixes should be doing this to make it worse and generally seems to be gradually improving things as intended.

Is this in PVE or PvP? Is there typical situation or in combat etc?

Do you have any Addons? If so try disabling them all as they can cause issues like this.

What is your Mac setup? Including graphics card, CPU, RAM installed, OS X version etc.

Apple icon (top left of menu bar) > About This Mac > More info…

What are your graphics settings in game?