Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 7:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 7
• Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 9, 2:00 UTC (October 8, 10:00PM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)

DragonKnight - PvE Only - Tank/DPS

Rainwhisper
Rainwhisper
✭✭✭✭✭
This is the build I am currently working toward: ESO Calc Build

My two skill bars are already laid out in this fashion, with the exception of Shield Charge/Invasion.

I am wondering if, at some point, I will want to drop Extended Chains from the #5 slot on my 2h/dps bar. At the moment, I use it rather a lot to drag casters and archers to me; but, I can see where I might prefer to have an additional damage-dealing spell in there.

At level 25, I find that I am much more of a hybrid than I expected. I had assumed that I would melee constantly, and just periodically toss in spells for a little added damage or protection. Quite the contrary, I cast a LOT, hence my additional points in magicka. I feel like my Redguard bonuses justify not putting as many points in stamina.

At my current level, I feel like I have a ton of survivability and I'm very pleased with my current dps output (although I definitely notice it drop when I switch to 1h+shield).

I never PvP and have no interest in it. I do enjoy crafting, and have been levelling all of the crafts at a good clip. Any extra skill points I have will go there, most likely.

I am a quest junkie and completionist, so I anticipate having plenty of points.

I welcome your thoughts and critiques.

-Rain
  • ConquerorDromtar
    It looks like you're doing well so far. If you're enjoying your character then that's 90% of the battle. :) I found that the T3 and T4 abilities opened up a whole new world of offensive ability when I got them. Lava Whip and Inhale become especially useful. I'm not sure if it's personal play style or not, but I stopped using the chain pull as soon as I got Dark Talons. I run a 100% melee build so charging in, dropping talons, and AoEing works best for me. A strong single target ability like Lava Lash or Lava Whip helps with mobs that stray as you deal with the main group.

I wish I'd put more points into magicka earlier. :)

Hope that helps some.
  • Rainwhisper
    Rainwhisper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ConquerorDromtar‌ - Thanks. That's very helpful. I was wondering about the damage output from the higher tiers. I'll have to look at them more closely.

So many abilities, so few slots...
  • ConquerorDromtar
    So many abilities, so few slots…so true! I typically have igneous weapons, a weapon skill, lava whip/inhale/searing strike, talons, dragon blood on my general use 1H/DW bar. Igneous weapons, cleave, fiery breath/inhale, talons, dragon blood are the typical abilities on my 2H/AoE bar. Tanking is usually spiked armor, ransack (taunt), obsidian shield, talons, dragon blood. I like Magma Armor as the ultimate for tanking bosses but other than that I use Standard of Might.

We've got a lot of useful DoT skills that help do sustained damage to groups while spamming stam skills. Don't be afraid to use them. Also, passives are your best friend. If you're not sure where to put points, dump them in passives. I was amazed at the difference once I started doing that.
    Edited by ConquerorDromtar on May 13, 2014 6:44PM
  • Wifeaggro13
    Wifeaggro13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It looks like you're doing well so far. If you're enjoying your character then that's 90% of the battle. :) I found that the T3 and T4 abilities opened up a whole new world of offensive ability when I got them. Lava Whip and Inhale become especially useful. I'm not sure if it's personal play style or not, but I stopped using the chain pull as soon as I got Dark Talons. I run a 100% melee build so charging in, dropping talons, and AoEing works best for me. A strong single target ability like Lava Lash or Lava Whip helps with mobs that stray as you deal with the main group.

I wish I'd put more points into magicka earlier. :)

Hope that helps some.
    This is the most effective reliable way to tank VR dungeons, its not the only way. Volcanic rune and Burning embers is my prefered way of dealing with AOE trash along with LOS them to choke points. Keeps the group safe makes life easy for DPS and heals. as for magica i just gobble mana pots im an orc so very limited resources in magica.