The connection issues for the North American PC/Mac megaserver have been resolved at this time. If you continue to experience difficulties at login, please restart your client. Thank you for your patience!

Teased Class Skill Styles (U44)

MashmalloMan
MashmalloMan
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭
mi6obkuympta.png

Currently on the PTS, you can find these skill styles under the menu, but none of them (as far as I'm aware) can actually be accessed right now.

I vaguely remember this happened in U43, but I couldn't find any posts about it. Are these the same teases from back then or is there anything new here? I think overall, they sound and look like they'll be pretty cool.
PC Beta - 2200+ CP

Stam Sorc Khajiit PvE/PVP Main || Stam Sorc Dark Elf PvP ||
Stam Templar Dark Elf || Stam Warden Wood Elf || Stam DK Nord || Stam Necro Orc || Stam Blade Khajiit

Mag Sorc High Elf || Mag Templar High Elf || Mag Warden Breton || Mag Necro Khajiit || Mag Blade Khajiit
  • LunaFlora
    LunaFlora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    probably won't be added in q4 or q1 if there's no way to use them yet.

maybe a way to acquire them is in u45
    miaow! i'm Luna ( she/her ).

🌸*throws cherry blossom on you*🌸
    "Eagles advance, traveler! And may the Green watch and keep you."
    🦬🦌🐰
    PlayStation and PC EU.
    LunaLolaBlossom on psn.
    LunaFloraBlossom on pc.
  • MashmalloMan
    MashmalloMan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Here are my initial thoughts on these without ZOS's input on the context of them:

Arcanist: Blue, not entirely sure about the intent, probably leaning into Tentacular Dread's random frost element they picked? Could have been picked to stand out, but I don't really see a theme here like I do for the other classes.

NB: Purple/Black is what I'd consider more of a Shadow colour palet found in other media like movies, tv shows, and comics. This is the only class with an ultimate skill style. I currently use Purple blockade for NB, these will further support that look. Neat.

Templar: Ice Blue is surprising. I would have expected Red/Orange to evoke Holy Fire found from Vampires Bane or Yellow/Black to evoke Unholy Magic found from skills visuals like Eclipse.

DK: Blue for the classic Coldharbour Blue Flames. Cool, fits, still fire, but blue fire. Many skills like Contingency or Meteor have this look to them, so it could be fun to match that.

Warden: Orange to lean into a more Autumn nature theme. Neat, I'm sure some people would have wanted Ice themed skills, but many of the Magic morphs already look Blue and could pass for Ice Skills. I think they were going for something a bit more drastic as we see with all of these class choices.

Necro: Red/Black to evoke a grimreaper death feel, really love that, enough said.

Sorc: Red lightning like Reverse Flash from DC comics. Almost evil... also they appear to have a 4th because Winged Twilight has a remodel, not just a recolour. It may or may not even be sold/unlocked with the other 3, I have no idea, but exciting to see nontheless. The icon looks really awesome alone.
    PC Beta - 2200+ CP

Stam Templar Dark Elf || Stam Warden Wood Elf || Stam DK Nord || Stam Necro Orc || Stam Blade Khajiit

Mag Sorc High Elf || Mag Templar High Elf || Mag Warden Breton || Mag Necro Khajiit || Mag Blade Khajiit
  • MashmalloMan
    MashmalloMan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    LunaFlora wrote: »

Oh yeah I don't doubt that, they specifically announced the 3 pack for Frost Stampede, Volley, and Meteor. That you can purchase and use on the PTS right now. They would have done the same for Class skills if they were ready.
    PC Beta - 2200+ CP

• Erickson9610
    Erickson9610
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I think they'll be in the Crown Store. There's that other Skill Style pack in the Crown Store on the PTS, which themes three skills after ice/frost, so it's likely that each of these Class bundles of 3-4 will also be sold in the Crown Store, since the skills in each bundle are all the same color. Maybe it'll be sold in the Crown Store during Update 44?
    Edited by Erickson9610 on September 17, 2024 5:24PM
    PC/NA — Lone Werewolf, the Templar Khajiit Werewolf

Werewolf Should be Allowed to Sneak
    Please give us Werewolf Skill Styles (for customizing our fur color), Grimoires/Scribing skills (to fill in the holes in our builds), and Companions (to transform with).
  • MashmalloMan
    MashmalloMan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

I think they'll be in the Crown Store. There's that other Skill Style pack in the Crown Store on the PTS, which themes three skills after ice/frost, so it's likely that each of these Class bundles of 3-4 will also be sold in the Crown Store, since the skills in each bundle are all the same color. Maybe it'll be sold in the Crown Store during Update 44?

Maybe but I think they came up in a similar way in U43 too, they were later removed during the subsequent patches because it was apparently added by mistake.. vs this time, where they advertised in the patch notes that you could purchase the Frost pack in the crown store for those 3 abilities.

Also, who knows. The 3 Frost skill pack is named after the New Life Festival, maybe it will be free during that event period, an unlock for a goal we meet, or hell... you need to buy it with crowns. Any of the options is fine in my books as long as they continue to sprinkle skill styles into unlockable content like we found with Gold Road. That really pushed me to complete achievements, the proper reward structure I've been wanting.. vs mounts, pets, titles, and the majority of skins/tattoos, that just don't do it for me anymore because I have 100s of options and I'm rarely going to remove what I already like for something pretty dull vs a crown store unlock I may have.

Skill styles are just way more fun to play around with, especially on alts when you aim for a specific theme.
    Edited by MashmalloMan on September 17, 2024 5:38PM
    PC Beta - 2200+ CP

• IncultaWolf
    IncultaWolf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    These look really cool, can't wait to get them!
  • LunaFlora
    LunaFlora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

we'll see in the coming months , but i think update 45 is likelier
    miaow! i'm Luna ( she/her ).

🌸*throws cherry blossom on you*🌸
    "Eagles advance, traveler! And may the Green watch and keep you."
    🦬🦌🐰
    PlayStation and PC EU.
    LunaLolaBlossom on psn.
    LunaFloraBlossom on pc.
  • Erickson9610
    Erickson9610
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Either way, it won't be the end of the world for me. I don't think I'll use my Class's Skill Styles. I'll try to collect them if they're tied to achievements like the new ones of U43 and U44 were, but those Skill Styles specifically don't appeal to me enough.

Though, I would be interested to see how the Summon Winged Twilight Skill Style looks like, if it's similar to how the Slate-Gray Summoned Bear Skill Style is a texture swap, rather than a VFX recolor.
    PC/NA — Lone Werewolf, the Templar Khajiit Werewolf

Werewolf Should be Allowed to Sneak
    Please give us Werewolf Skill Styles (for customizing our fur color), Grimoires/Scribing skills (to fill in the holes in our builds), and Companions (to transform with).
  • xDeusEJRx
    xDeusEJRx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Imagine if they made the lava whip green to spite the players who kept asking for a Stam whip back in the day
    Solo PvP'er PS5 NA player

90% of my body is made of Magblade
  • emilyhyoyeon
    emilyhyoyeon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I need the purple nightblade ones so bad.

I would've liked to see orange/gold for the sorcerer ones. I don't get why there isn't a way to offer like 7 different basic color for every skill style from the get-go though.
    IGN @ emilypumpkin
    Zirasia Firemaker, imperial fire mage & sunbather
    Deebaba Soul-Weaver, argonian ghostminder & soul gem collector
    Tullanisse Starborne, altmer battlemage & ayleid researcher

BLACK HAIR FOR ALTMER PLEASE (hair color cosmetic pack)
  • MashmalloMan
    MashmalloMan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I need the purple nightblade ones so bad.

I would've liked to see orange/gold for the sorcerer ones. I don't get why there isn't a way to offer like 7 different basic color for every skill style from the get-go though.

Pull on your tinfoil hat, but have you ever looked at how the market for Phone technology progresses each year? There is a logical reason to not release the best, end all, be all today, when you need to think about tomorrow too.

That said, although recolours are probably easy to adjust, make, and package by just tweaking a colour slider in most game engines, it may not be that simple for ESO, this engine was based on 2007 tech. Plus, they have a pipeline and dedicated staff for everything, with potentially 10+ more years of content to make. Would most of the playerbase even care about new skill styles for future updates, if there were 100s to pick from via a colour wheel or dye system like the outfit station today? Even that is curated, and most of us just want the blackest black or the whitest white. Idk, I think it would dilute it.

In the end, it's money. It's always money :P
    PC Beta - 2200+ CP

• MashmalloMan
    MashmalloMan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    xDeusEJRx wrote: »
    Imagine if they made the lava whip green to spite the players who kept asking for a Stam whip back in the day

Honestly, that might be why they did a complete 180 and went with blue lol. Probably the same reason Warden's are autumn themed instead of frost themed.
    PC Beta - 2200+ CP

• tsaescishoeshiner
    tsaescishoeshiner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    xDeusEJRx wrote: »

I think they should! Green would fit in with the other class colors. If anyone were to have a complaint about that, they might need to step outside for a while lol
    PC-NA
    in-game: @tsaescishoeshiner
  • Hagrett
    Hagrett
    ✭✭✭
    Here's hoping that they will complete a full theme further down the line. I like the idea of the blue styles for templar, but would prefer to keep all the skills uniform rather than a hodge podge of different colours.
  • Ezhh
    Ezhh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Though, I would be interested to see how the Summon Winged Twilight Skill Style looks like, if it's similar to how the Slate-Gray Summoned Bear Skill Style is a texture swap, rather than a VFX recolor.

I don't know if it's still the case, but when I checked a couple weeks back, the winged twilight could be previewed on PTS, I think it was under collectibles. I don't have PTS atm to go back and check. It didn't seem possible to preview any of the others.

The sad thing for me about these skills is that they often don't cover the set of skills I'd use on a class. I'd love the blue jabs/backlash for my plar, but without a matching beam style it would feel unfinished. Likewise for the DK, whip and breath will be nice to recolour, but then FoO is stuck still being orange, so for me it's mostly going to be a no unless the number of the class skills in the packs goes up, at least if these are crown store, which I'm expecting them to be. I don't want to throw crowns at something that feels incomplete.
  • Lystrad
    Lystrad
    ✭✭✭
    Ezhh wrote: »

The sad thing for me about these skills is that they often don't cover the set of skills I'd use on a class. I'd love the blue jabs/backlash for my plar, but without a matching beam style it would feel unfinished. Likewise for the DK, whip and breath will be nice to recolour, but then FoO is stuck still being orange, so for me it's mostly going to be a no unless the number of the class skills in the packs goes up, at least if these are crown store, which I'm expecting them to be. I don't want to throw crowns at something that feels incomplete.

I feel the same way about arcanist. In theory I like the idea of the blue abilities, and I can probably make something work with just those, but if the crux spinning around me stays green then I'd be better off just keeping my spells green. If they have a way to make crux match the color of the generator on the other hand, that'd be great.
    Edited by Lystrad on October 20, 2024 6:35PM
  • SkaiFaith
    SkaiFaith
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Warden's Scorch, blazing orange is what I'm looking for here. I'm ok with having these as bundles in the crown store, I just hope for a decent price that's not exaggerated... Hope to see them soon.
    Edited by SkaiFaith on October 21, 2024 6:27PM
    A: "We, as humans, should respect and take care of each other like in a Co-op, not a PvP 🌸"
    B: "Too many words. Words bad. Won't read. ⚔️"
  • MoonPile
    MoonPile
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    People are gonna be up in arms when more see the Sorc Twilight style. To a comedic degree, the complete opposite of all anyone has asked for regarding that thing for the last decade: to make it less intrusive.

I showed the change to my friend who no longer plays. They go: "I don't get it... isn't that worse?" Yes.

https://www.reddit.com/r/elderscrollsonline/comments/1g6rwuq/new_summon_twilight_style_incoming/
  • TX12001rwb17_ESO
    TX12001rwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The problem though is making all these attacks colors they should not be, if you make Arctic Wind an Orange color then the opponent may think your using a fire skill, as cool as they are I think they should be disabled in PvP.
  • Elvenheart
    Elvenheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Sadly, I see that Grim Focus isn’t one of the skills in the screenshot 😢
  • Turtle_Bot
    Turtle_Bot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    DK blue flames seems pretty cool and fits with existing themes in the game (coldfire balistas, blue fires in coldharbour, many NPC/boss daedra have blue flame abilities, etc).

NB and warden ones seem, interesting, at least for a niche themed character (warden being like the evil/flame druids from high isle chapter and NB maybe a shadow mage depending how purple or dark the colours are).

The rest just seem meh/completely disconnected (at least the concepts since I haven't actually seen the skills in game yet) and not properly thought out for the classes they are given to.
    To me it seems like:
    - necro should have gotten the ice blue colouring templars got to fit the necro "cold/dead" theme
    - Sorc should have gotten the Azure blue colouring with white mixed in to suit the lightning theme of the class (changing the crystals colour to match "lightning colours"
    - Templar/Arcanist should have gotten something else entirely like a corrupted light colour (black/yellow similar to living dark) for plar and maybe a muted purple colour (similar to sorcs crystal magic colours) for arcanist that keeps the arcane/rune theme, just less, in your face green.

I'd have to see them in game, but not really impressed with the themes "chosen" for most of these.
  • seventyfive
    seventyfive
    ✭✭✭
    Missed opportunity to enable an alternative to Nightblade's "Swallow Soul" icon.
    Despite being a min-maxer, the pure visuals of that icon make me actively avoid any builds utilizing it =)
  • FabresFour
    FabresFour
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Templar: Ice Blue is surprising. I would have expected Red/Orange to evoke Holy Fire found from Vampires Bane or Yellow/Black to evoke Unholy Magic found from skills visuals like Eclipse.

I particularly liked the Templar with blueish-frost spells because it reminds me of the restorarions spells from TES: Oblivion, which was blueish-white LOL

ww58lvv7ivbw.png
    @FabresFour - 2075 CP
    Director and creator of the unofficial translation of The Elder Scrolls Online into BR-Portuguese.
  • fizl101
    fizl101
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't mind a red flappy if it was the size of a torchbug (or maybe a nixad, I'm not picky), but please make it smallllllll
    Soupy twist
  • xylena_lazarow
    xylena_lazarow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    as cool as they are I think they should be disabled in PvP
    NO. You can pry my blue DK from my cold dead hands. If you play at the level where your opponent's class actually matters, you've also reached the point where you can easily tell what class they're running, or at least use a UI addon.
    PC/NA || CP/Cyro || RIP soft caps
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really don't understand this direction. I always thought that "colour codes" are a part of game design. If you got hit by "red skill", then it is NB. If you got hit by "Green skill", then it is Warden etc.

Right now they are just making a mess, nothing more. Players will be confused as heck as "identifying" a class will be more tricky than it needs to be.
  • xylena_lazarow
    xylena_lazarow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Players will be confused as heck as "identifying" a class will be more tricky than it needs to be.
    If we can understand shiny Pokemon, we can understand Orange Wardens. It's not that hard I promise.
    PC/NA || CP/Cyro || RIP soft caps