Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 7:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 7
• Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 9, 2:00 UTC (October 8, 10:00PM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)

Destruction Staff Criticals

Dharmabum
Dharmabum
Do destruction staff spells use spell critical or weapon critical? Since surge increases weapon damage, which in turn increases impulse, I would assume destruction spells are affected by weapon critical. Correct?
  • Erock25
    Erock25
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Which crit stat that is used is completely independent of it scaling on weapon or spell damage.

I think all destruction skills scale on spell crit. The only one I'm not sure of is the CC.
    You earned the 500 LOLs badge.
    You received 500 LOLs. It ain't no fluke, you post great stuff and we're lucky to have you here. +50 points
  • Dharmabum
    Dharmabum
    It seems odd that impulse is considered a weapon for damage scaling and a spell for critical scaling. If correct, the synergy between critical surge, impulse, and magelight is very strong. The only downside is they take up 3 active ability slots. I wonder if the synergy was intended or if the dual nature of impulse is a bug.
  • Resipsa131
    Resipsa131
    ✭✭✭
    I'm confused I thought if; I run 1. Destructive Clench, 2. Critical Surge, 3. Mage Light, 4. Weakness to Elements and 5. Pulsar with the Thief and the Light armor passive for 5% crits that my staff attacks, destructive clench, and pulsar all heal when they do critical damage, is this correct?
  • Dharmabum
    Dharmabum
    That's my understanding. I'm still working towards critical surge.
  • Dharmabum
    Dharmabum
    Just got critical surge and it seems that crits from all spells return health...sweet!
  • Comaetilico
    Comaetilico
    ✭✭✭
    Resipsa131 wrote: »
    I'm confused I thought if; I run 1. Destructive Clench, 2. Critical Surge, 3. Mage Light, 4. Weakness to Elements and 5. Pulsar with the Thief and the Light armor passive for 5% crits that my staff attacks, destructive clench, and pulsar all heal when they do critical damage, is this correct?

the thief is actualy bugged and not award any critical rate bonus (it is fixed as 1.1 patch notes... so until they put up that patch it's useless to use that mundus ;) )

also note that if you use a fire staff with trifocus passive you also get an additional 10% crit chance on clench and pulsar

PS: just to clarify... surge works with every skill capable to crit... even dual wield, 2handed and bow skill... as long as a skill couse damage and crit it will heal for 65% of the damage dealt... the stat it uses to crit does not matter... this also apply to non weapon based skill such as cristal shard and the like... even if they don't benefit from surge increase of "weapon damage" their crit still give life back...
  • Talmet
    Talmet
    ✭✭✭
    Dharmabum wrote: »
    It seems odd that impulse is considered a weapon for damage scaling and a spell for critical scaling. If correct, the synergy between critical surge, impulse, and magelight is very strong. The only downside is they take up 3 active ability slots. I wonder if the synergy was intended or if the dual nature of impulse is a bug.

If you have questions about stats, this wiki page has pretty much all knowledge currently known on stats

The weapon damage stat affects light/heavy attacks & every weapon skill. Spell damage affects every non-weapon skill.

This is not always apparent to people, because of the whole "magicka boosting magicka using skills & stamina boosting stamina using skills" rule (which is true). Also, because people need addons to see what damage they are actually dealing, many players make faulty assumptions & spread misinformation.

All skills (and light/heavy attacks) scale with two things.
    1. Either weapon damage or spell damage (depending on if it is a weapon skill or not).
    2. Either magicka or stamina (depending on what the skill costs.)

Oh, and though many people don't want to believe it, many many many tests prove that stamina increases light/heavy attack damage with ALL weapons (including staves). All weapons light/heavy damage scales with the weapon damage & stamina.

In case you weren't aware, increasing stamina or magicka does not increase the weapon damage or spell damage stat you see on the character sheet. The fact that those stats don't change, is another reason why people make faulty assumptions.

They do "tests", and equip full stamina gear and then see that the weapon damage stat didn't increase and then conclude "stamina doesn't effect weapon damage!", the other part of the test where they should equip full magicka gear, never occurs because they already "know" the answer. If they did it, they would see that again, the stat does not increase....
  • Comaetilico
    Comaetilico
    ✭✭✭
    Talmet wrote: »
    Dharmabum wrote: »

If you have questions about stats, this wiki page has pretty much all knowledge currently known on stats

The weapon damage stat affects light/heavy attacks & every weapon skill. Spell damage affects every non-weapon skill.

This is not always apparent to people, because of the whole "magicka boosting magicka using skills & stamina boosting stamina using skills" rule (which is true). Also, because people need addons to see what damage they are actually dealing, many players make faulty assumptions & spread misinformation.

All skills (and light/heavy attacks) scale with two things.
    1. Either weapon damage or spell damage (depending on if it is a weapon skill or not).
    2. Either magicka or stamina (depending on what the skill costs.)

Oh, and though many people don't want to believe it, many many many tests prove that stamina increases light/heavy attack damage with ALL weapons (including staves). All weapons light/heavy damage scales with the weapon damage & stamina.

In case you weren't aware, increasing stamina or magicka does not increase the weapon damage or spell damage stat you see on the character sheet. The fact that those stats don't change, is another reason why people make faulty assumptions.

They do "tests", and equip full stamina gear and then see that the weapon damage stat didn't increase and then conclude "stamina doesn't effect weapon damage!", the other part of the test where they should equip full magicka gear, never occurs because they already "know" the answer. If they did it, they would see that again, the stat does not increase....

actualy test done after release resulted in stamina increasing weapon basic attack for phisical weapon and magika increasing those of destro and resto staff...

yes I know that previous test demostrated that even staves scaled on stamina but it seem that this was changed between beta and release ^^ if you have repeted those test after release and they resulted on staves scaling on stamina I would like to know the speciefic circumstances since I had a total different result ^^
  • Talmet
    Talmet
    ✭✭✭
    Watch this video (the actual testing of stam vs magicka for damage starts around half way through, before that it is just setting up the baseline & showing that weapon damage, not spell power, determines basic attack damage): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiUATvbFDUQ

that is post launch (the video was made like a week after official launch, almost two weeks after early release), wearing white gear, checking multiple white weapons, just changing stam/magicka with max magicka/stamina food.

With the 90 damage frost staff, 1791 magicka, 1166 stamina
    light attack damage= 119

Magicka increased to overcharged 1998
    light attack damage = 119

Stamina increased to 1472
    light attack damage = 127

It may not be something you want to hear...but it does make sense from a balance point of view. Being able to make a character that only uses magicka, and have that boost all their abilities & all their base attacks might have resulted in a overpowered situation. As it is, magicka based builds are still considered OP (i.e. fire destro staff DK).
    Edited by Talmet on May 11, 2014 3:40PM
  • Comaetilico
    Comaetilico
    ✭✭✭
    Talmet wrote: »
    Watch this video (the actual testing of stam vs magicka for damage starts around half way through, before that it is just setting up the baseline & showing that weapon damage, not spell power, determines basic attack damage): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiUATvbFDUQ

that is post launch (the video was made like a week after official launch, almost two weeks after early release), wearing white gear, checking multiple white weapons, just changing stam/magicka with max magicka/stamina food.

With the 90 damage frost staff, 1791 magicka, 1166 stamina
    light attack damage= 119

Magicka increased to overcharged 1998
    light attack damage = 119

Stamina increased to 1472
    light attack damage = 127

It may not be something you want to hear...but it does make sense from a balance point of view. Being able to make a character that only uses magicka, and have that boost all their abilities & all their base attacks might have resulted in a overpowered situation. As it is, magicka based builds are still considered OP (i.e. fire destro staff DK).

it doesn't matter if it is logic or not... what does matter is how it works ^^

the problem is that I have already done my tests too... and for staff damage increased as I enchanted white item with magika ^^'

I will do the test again tomorrow (not time for gaming tonight :°°°) and post the detailed data... (maybe I just had some alchol aftereffect compromising my previous test ^^' )