The connection issues for the North American PC/Mac megaserver have been resolved at this time. If you continue to experience difficulties at login, please restart your client. Thank you for your patience!

Vvardenfell spelling

GretchenRPH
GretchenRPH
✭✭
is this just some decision made way back in Elder Scrolls lorebuilding and we're stuck with it? It is darned cumbersome to type Vv. Can we just agree on Vardenfell and retcon it in? It's not like there are actual Dunmer scholars who will protest. What is the basis for starting a word with a double consonant? To make it exotic?
  • LunaFlora
    LunaFlora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    you can call it Vardenfell if you want to of course.

no clue why it has double V, but that's just how it is and it's easy for me to remember so i will keep calling it by its correct name.
    miaow! i'm Luna ( she/her ).

🌸*throws cherry blossom on you*🌸
    "Eagles advance, traveler! And may the Green watch and keep you."
    🦬🦌🐰
    PlayStation and PC EU.
    LunaLolaBlossom on psn.
    LunaFloraBlossom on pc.
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is the basis for starting a word with a double consonant? To make it exotic?

Some real world languages have this, I don't see why Dunmeri should not.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lloret_de_Vistalegre
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Llanfairpwllgwyngyll
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rrushkull,_Shkodër
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Llano,_Texas
    @Syldras | PC | EU
    The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
    Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
    Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
    Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire
  • Soarora
    Soarora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's just hitting the button you just pressed again.
    PC/NA Dungeoneer (Tank/DPS/Heal), Trialist (DPS/Tank/Heal), and amateur Battlegrounder (DPS) with a passion for The Elder Scrolls lore
    • CP 2000+
    • Warden Healer - Arcanist Healer - Warden Brittleden - Stamarc - Sorc Tank - Necro Tank - Templar Tank - Arcanist Tank
    • Trials: 9/12 HMs - 3/8 Tris
    • Dungeons: 30/30 HMs - 24/24 Tris
    • All Veterans completed!

View my builds!
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm wondering what's next. "Those Khajiit names are too complicated, let's just change them to Bob, Bill and Frank"?
    @Syldras | PC | EU
  • ClowdyAllDay
    ClowdyAllDay
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you subscribed to rob words on YouTube you would know the inefficiency is due to an alphabet that was designed for the Latin langue being forced upon a language that has Germanic roots aka English, which was then superimposed with badly pronounced French. Vv ain’t even the beginning of the issues.
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the double Vv, it reminds me of W, and I always joked that Vvanderfel is 'wonderful' but with an accent :smiley: Now if you want to talk about name spelling, there are a few Dwemer ruins that have one (or ten!) extra consonants :sweat_smile:
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't understand how this is an issue at all. Or "inefficience". Especially nowaways when it's just hitting a button.

(Also, is "efficiency" the only thing that counts? If so, language and writing would be quite poor. No poetry, no metaphors, no calligraphy,...)
    @Syldras | PC | EU
  • ClowdyAllDay
    ClowdyAllDay
    ✭✭✭✭
    Syldras wrote: »
    I don't understand how this is an issue at all. Or "inefficience". Especially nowaways when it's just hitting a button.

(Also, is "efficiency" the only thing that counts? If so, language and writing would be quite poor. No poetry, no metaphors, no calligraphy,...)

its an inefficiency because the letters werent purposed to make the sounds they require. there plenty og poetry written in latin alphabet withint the lating lauguage im sure that does not suffer in qy=uality due to effiecient use of an alphabet.

the issue at hand is roman imperialism forced upon the english laguage. and to some extent french also. but theres a better english alphabet to be had right here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D66LrlotvCA&pp=ygUYcm9iIHdvcmRzIGxhdGluIGFscGhhYmV0
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know Bernard Shaw's alphabet. It doesn't seem very efficient to me if we'd teach that to people nowadays when over a third of the world's population is accustomed to the Latin alphabet the way it currently is - in their native language (and many more if we include people who have learned it as part of a foreign language).

And even less I think that efficiency is all that matters when it comes to language.
    @Syldras | PC | EU
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Warden fell"
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • colossalvoids
    colossalvoids
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can do whatever your heart desire without our consensus.
  • TheNuminous1
    TheNuminous1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ugh. It's so obvious how can people not see.

VVARDENfell
    WARDEN

It was so boost tbe sales of the new Warden class.

Duh.
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Writing a capital W as VV wasn't uncommon in prints (book titles, maps) for some time, btw:

t7dyv5b7saax.png

8sbmyldal9rt.png

Also, Roman letters aren't native Dunmer letters either; if you can't stand typing "Vvardenfell", just type this :p

5jc7yt4z3ddl.png

Or call it Dunmereth or Resdayn. Who cares.
    @Syldras | PC | EU
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is named what it is named, going back to TES 3. Before that, it was called "Black Isle".

We probably wouldn't have a class called "Warden" if "VVarden" wasn't the start of the island's name.

ESO Plus: No
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus