The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
The maintenance is complete, and the PTS is now back online and patch 10.0.2 is available.

0 Changes to GLS???

Urvoth
Urvoth
✭✭✭✭✭
The most poorly-designed skill to ever be added to ESO was still added after an entire PTS cycle of negative feedback, while deleting the SINGLE solid and commonly used damage skill in necro's kit. Now ZOS had a chance to redesign or revert it in the latest update but there is not a single change? 90% of necro players HATE this change, so why keep pushing it and ignore the feedback from your players? Blastbones was the least problematic part of the entire kit, just revert it back to Stalking Blastbones so we can have some actual damage again.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/654213/necromancer-skill-stalking-blastbones-vs-grave-lords-sacrifice/p1
  • Kalle_Demos
    Kalle_Demos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Disappointing, to say the least.

"If I am to be Queen, I must look fear in the face and conquer it. How can I ask my people to have faith in me if I don't have faith in myself?" - Queen Ayrenn
  • C_Inside
    C_Inside
    ✭✭✭
    I'd also like to point out that in the very last PTS week of U41 they literally said that they knew it "probably isn't exactly where we want it to be" and that they'd "keep an eye on it". Universal hate with literally no one defending the new skill because it sucks so much. To my knowledge not a single content creator has made any build videos with it and I personally have not seen any necros use it (not that there are very many DD necros out there).

I have a feeling that the combat team has a vision for necro (a very bad, misguided and stupid vision) and are completely unwilling to compromise, either out of pride or sheer incompetence. They remind me of an ostrich burying its head in the ground in a way.
  • MashmalloMan
    MashmalloMan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The gap between the end of U41 PTS and the work being done behind the scenes for U42 was way too short. I never expected them to tweak anything from that patch tbh, but it doesn't make it sting any less.
    PC Beta - 1900+ CP

Stam Sorc Khajiit PvE/PVP Main || Stam Sorc Dark Elf PvP ||
    Stam Templar Dark Elf || Stam Warden Wood Elf || Stam DK Nord || Stam Necro Orc || Stam Blade Khajiit

Mag Sorc High Elf || Mag Templar High Elf || Mag Warden Breton || Mag Necro Khajiit || Mag Blade Khajiit
  • Urvoth
    Urvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The gap between the end of U41 PTS and the work being done behind the scenes for U42 was way too short. I never expected them to tweak anything from that patch tbh, but it doesn't make it sting any less.

It definitely was short, but they could at least have reverted the changes and then come back later once they had more time to rework things.
  • YandereGirlfriend
    YandereGirlfriend
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Urvoth wrote: »

It definitely was short, but they could at least have reverted the changes and then come back later once they had more time to rework things.

Or simply increased the magnitude of the buff to like 25% while they continued brainstorming.
  • CameraBeardThePirate
    CameraBeardThePirate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

There are so many blatantly obvious and easy tweaks they could have made to make the skill better.

There was absolutely enough time between u41 PTS and Gold Road PTS to do any of the following:

- Increase the % buff
    - Make it affect healing skills
    - allow it to be cast out of combat
    - allow it to give the buff on cast, so that you can't LoS your own buff

Literally any one of those things would make this skill feel less frustrating to use. You cannot tell me that a month+ of time was "too short" to make any of those tweaks, especially when all of those tweaks were proposed before the skill even hit live.
    Edited by CameraBeardThePirate on April 18, 2024 2:42PM
  • Urvoth
    Urvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Or simply increased the magnitude of the buff to like 25% while they continued brainstorming.

The simplest change at this point would be to give blighted the stalking modifier and make the cost scale off your highest resource or simply revert it. GLS is a complete flop of a skill and there's no excuse to let it fester for an entire other patch cycle while necro is already languishing.
  • RaptorRodeoGod
    RaptorRodeoGod
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They're probably letting it bake for a bit
    Add a Scribing skill that works like Arcanist beam.
    ---
    Veteran players have been alienated and disengaged from Overland since One Tamriel, due to the lack of difficulty, and pushed into dungeons and trials; the minority of content in the Elder Scrolls Online. We can't take the repetition anymore, fix Overland engagement for Vet players. I don't even care if it's not combat related anymore, just make Overland engaging again.
    ---
    Overland difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 10 years. 6 paid expansions. 25 DLCs. 41 game changing updates including One Tamriel, an overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver & Gold as a "you think you do but you don't" - tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game. I'm bored of dungeons, I'm bored of trials; make a personal difficulty slider for overland. Make a self debuff mythic. Literally anything at this point.
  • Aldoss
    Aldoss
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They're probably letting it bake for a bit

When you put in a pie that's already been burned, you don't sit there and say, "let's let it bake and see what happens".

That pie's on fire. Get it out of the freaking oven before it does any more damage and start baking a new pie!
  • MashmalloMan
    MashmalloMan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

There are so many blatantly obvious and easy tweaks they could have made to make the skill better.

There was absolutely enough time between u41 PTS and Gold Road PTS to do any of the following:

- Increase the % buff
    - Make it affect healing skills
    - allow it to be cast out of combat
    - allow it to give the buff on cast, so that you can't LoS your own buff

Literally any one of those things would make this skill feel less frustrating to use. You cannot tell me that a month+ of time was "too short" to make any of those tweaks, especially when all of those tweaks were proposed before the skill even hit live.

I'm in total agreement, but I'm not a dev, it just seems to be how they operate. U41 was shipped and sealed, the remaining focus shifted to U42. Not a single thing I can think of that appears as a blatantly obvious and necessary change, brought up during U41 PTS was addressed in this update.

Like why is Ele Sus or vat destro still exactly the same despite all status effects being buffed? None of the feedback was addressed.
    Edited by MashmalloMan on April 23, 2024 12:56AM
    PC Beta - 1900+ CP

Stam Sorc Khajiit PvE/PVP Main || Stam Sorc Dark Elf PvP ||
    Stam Templar Dark Elf || Stam Warden Wood Elf || Stam DK Nord || Stam Necro Orc || Stam Blade Khajiit

Mag Sorc High Elf || Mag Templar High Elf || Mag Warden Breton || Mag Necro Khajiit || Mag Blade Khajiit
  • OtarTheMad
    OtarTheMad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think they’ve deemed Quarter 1 DLC for major combat changes so I am assuming necro won’t see anything major until 2025, which sucks.
  • Alaztor91
    Alaztor91
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    3q9fwwni8e8f.png

Did ZOS intentionally designed the GLS morph to push you away from using the Scribing spammables? Are they even aware of this?

Are they expecting us to use Blighted Blastbones? Then why introduce GLS in the first place(at least in its current state)?

I find it hard to believe that the Scribing skills were designed AFTER U41 and GLS, considering that there is a Signature Script specifically designed for Necromancers.

• Yamenstein
    Yamenstein
    ✭✭✭✭
    OtarTheMad wrote: »
    I think they’ve deemed Quarter 1 DLC for major combat changes so I am assuming necro won’t see anything major until 2025, which sucks.

Sounds like something I would do if I wanted someone to hang around. Hold out until specific points in the year. Trying to get your class to work with different sets or systems. Holding out hope for that time more than 6 months down the line. Then bam - they buff something totally random and you realise you wasted your time 😂

Might be time for me to take another break from this game. The last two weeks have been fun, not.
    Edited by Yamenstein on April 23, 2024 11:57AM
  • Lalothen
    Lalothen
    ✭✭✭✭
    w1wr2iy85a9j.png
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We have tons of useless / unused skills both for classes and other skill lines. Why do you think they would instantly rework something they just reworked an update before? Not going to happen, never did and never will. They might buff this skill in the next update, but I don’t see them reworking this again in the near future (e.g. 2024). While I get the frustration about this specific skill, other classes share the same issues with some of their skills for years now.
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • CameraBeardThePirate
    CameraBeardThePirate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Seraphayel wrote: »
    We have tons of useless / unused skills both for classes and other skill lines. Why do you think they would instantly rework something they just reworked an update before?

Maybe because they literally stated in the patch notes that the ability wasn't where they wanted it to be yet?

If it wasn't where they wanted it to be, why even bother pushing the change to live? Especially if now they're just going to let it sit in a clearly unfinished state.
    Edited by CameraBeardThePirate on April 23, 2024 6:13PM
  • Aldoss
    Aldoss
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    While I get the frustration about this specific skill, other classes share the same issues with some of their skills for years now.

I must have misread the patch notes the last few years. What other classes have been nerfed 8 out of the last 10 patches and then had their most used skill actually (not figuratively) deleted from the game [Snip]?

Other classes need work. I agree. Necro and GLS rise to the level of extenuating circumstances. You're welcome to disagree.

[Edited for bashing]
    Edited by ZOS_Volpe on April 24, 2024 7:29PM
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We have tons of useless / unused skills both for classes and other skill lines. Why do you think they would instantly rework something they just reworked an update before?

Maybe because they literally stated in the patch notes that the ability wasn't where they wanted it to be yet?

If it wasn't where they wanted it to be, why even bother pushing the change to live? Especially if now they're just going to let it sit in a clearly unfinished state.

Because that’s how that‘s how they always do it and people that are here for more than just a short amount of time know that. They’re approach on reworking skills, gathering feedback and then adjusting them takes months and months and months. Them saying GLS isn’t fully there yet doesn’t mean it’s still a priority, it‘s not. They’ll cover this most likely in one of the more combat-heavy updates this year.

The problem is, with Scribing their focus is on a whole other topic that requires way more attention than a single Necromancer skill. You gotta arrange with GLS for the near future and hope for buffs towards the end of the year. I can already guarantee you that you won’t get your Magicka Blastbones back. They’ll stick with GLS but adjust (aka buff) it.
    Aldoss wrote: »
    While I get the frustration about this specific skill, other classes share the same issues with some of their skills for years now.

I must have misread the patch notes the last few years. What other classes have been nerfed 8 out of the last 10 patches and then had their most used skill actually (not figuratively) deleted from the game and replaced with the most poorly designed buff ever introduced?

Other classes need work. I agree. Necro and GLS rise to the level of extenuating circumstances. You're welcome to disagree.

Let‘s be fair, Blastbones still exists. The Stamina version is slightly weaker, but basically the same as the Magicka version. So yes, they killed one morph, but your playstyle is basically unchanged if you’re sticking to that. A slight nerf? Sure. But not that dramatic overall when you liked the BB playstyle as it still exists.
    Edited by Seraphayel on April 23, 2024 8:28PM
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • IncultaWolf
    IncultaWolf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    At the minimum, Grave Lord's Sacrifice should also buff class heals by 15%.

I've explained more ways to make this morph worth considering over blighted blastbones in the official feedback thread for U42 classes and abilities.

• Urvoth
    Urvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Because that’s how that‘s how they always do it and people that are here for more than just a short amount of time know that. They’re approach on reworking skills, gathering feedback and then adjusting them takes months and months and months. Them saying GLS isn’t fully there yet doesn’t mean it’s still a priority, it‘s not. They’ll cover this most likely in one of the more combat-heavy updates this year.

The problem is, with Scribing their focus is on a whole other topic that requires way more attention than a single Necromancer skill. You gotta arrange with GLS for the near future and hope for buffs towards the end of the year. I can already guarantee you that you won’t get your Magicka Blastbones back. They’ll stick with GLS but adjust (aka buff) it.

I must have misread the patch notes the last few years. What other classes have been nerfed 8 out of the last 10 patches and then had their most used skill actually (not figuratively) deleted from the game and replaced with the most poorly designed buff ever introduced?

Let‘s be fair, Blastbones still exists. The Stamina version is slightly weaker, but basically the same as the Magicka version. So yes, they killed one morph, but your playstyle is basically unchanged if you’re sticking to that. A slight nerf? Sure. But not that dramatic overall when you liked the BB playstyle as it still exists.

Except it is a massive nerf and the stamina version is drastically weaker. Also, forcing magicka players to swap to stam to still have their class damage is a ridiculous ask that goes against any sort of class caster fantasy.
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Except it is a massive nerf and the stamina version is drastically weaker. Also, forcing magicka players to swap to stam to still have their class damage is a ridiculous ask that goes against any sort of class caster fantasy.

It‘s not drastically weaker, why being disingenuous? That won’t get you a rework faster. And I don’t see how that goes against any class fantasy when the only thing that changed is the resource it costs to be used. Arcanist has Stamina exclusive spells that still feel like that and don’t destroy some class fantasy. Criticism is valid, but should be reasonable.
    Edited by Seraphayel on April 24, 2024 9:26AM
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • Urvoth
    Urvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It‘s not drastically weaker, why being disingenuous? That won’t get you a rework faster. And I don’t see how that goes against any class fantasy when the only thing that changed is the resource it costs to be used. Arcanist has Stamina exclusive spells that still feel like that and don’t destroy some class fantasy. Criticism is valid, but should be reasonable.

Stalking was up to 63% more damage in PvP, so that is drastically weaker. 10% more at base, plus most players are vamp stage 3 for undeath so that adds another 13%, making it 23% more damage at a bare minimum. Then add in how often it gets LOS’d or cc’d and the modifier goes way up. On top of that you also have additional ways to boost flame damage from teammates like with Engulfing Flames or Encratis. Denying that it’s drastically weaker IS disingenuous. Have you even played necro before?

Plenty of necro players wanted to play a dark magic caster that is thematic to both TES and general gaming lore. Forcing players to swap off their primary magic damage skill that they’ve used for years goes completely against this.
  • Aldoss
    Aldoss
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Sunday before patch I logged in and played BGs with my wife as I always do and enjoyed some 12-13k crits with my stalking BB.

24 hours later, I logged in on the same build, and didn't see a number higher than 8.5k.

GLS is a demonstration of how little thought goes into class changes. It screams "I don't know what we're doing, but at least we tried something". It's the result of a patch where the FOCUS was on sorc and necro, and they somehow ended up with a NB buff and a necro nerf.

I'm happy with you staying in this thread. At least it keeps it bumped.
  • Deimus
    Deimus
    ✭✭✭

Plenty of necro players wanted to play a dark magic caster that is thematic to both TES and general gaming lore. Forcing players to swap off their primary magic damage skill that they’ve used for years goes completely against this.

This change ruined the RP in the MMORPG for me. My main character was a thin frail caster and Stalking BB was the last thread holding Magcro together especially in pvp. With my most impactful offensive skills all requiring stamina it makes no sense to be mag based. So much for play how you want, my toothpick thin Necro is lugging around a 2hand weapon now. They didn't even have to decency to make Blighted BB use your highest max resource.

The rest of the Necro offensive kit is too weak for a 15% buff to matter, slow, or not suited to pvp. All GLS did was take away the best performing Necro offensive skill to make mediocre skills slightly less mediocre, but still inferior to weapon and guild skill alternatives and soon complete trash compared to scribing skills.
  • Urvoth
    Urvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Although it would be much better to completely revert GLS, the bare minimum they should to to make it more viable is have it function like a normal buff skill so you actually get the buff immediately when you cast the skill. Then necro would still need changes to existing skills to compensate for the loss of blastbones damage, but at least it would be more tolerable to use.

Necro needs damage added to existing skills that you already have to slot, since having GLS purely as a buff just clogs our bars up even more without adding damage. Bone armor for example could make your light attacks apply a 5s dot while it's active, making GLS more relevant without clogging our bars more.
  • Yamenstein
    Yamenstein
    ✭✭✭✭
    Get ready to see no changes to GLS
  • Alaztor91
    Alaztor91
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another week, 0 changes.
  • danko355
    danko355
    ✭✭
    Nothing to expect here, the class will be dead for another year or two
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alaztor91 wrote: »
    Another week, 0 changes.

There were zero combat changes in this update, they must’ve delayed all of them until next week. Doesn’t mean GLS will be changed, be assured it won’t, but they didn’t even touch Scribing yet so somethings going to come next week the latest.
    Edited by Seraphayel on April 29, 2024 10:28PM
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • Yamenstein
    Yamenstein
    ✭✭✭✭
    Alaztor91 wrote: »
    Another week, 0 changes.

There were zero combat changes in this update, they must’ve delayed all of them until next week. Doesn’t mean GLS will be changed, be assured it won’t, but they didn’t even touch Scribing yet so somethings going to come next week the latest.

If only ZoS could communicate this out to everyone.