The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Which class makes the best tank?

LittlePinkDot
LittlePinkDot
✭✭✭✭✭
Which class makes the best tank?
And if you want to, tell me why.

Which class makes the best tank? 40 votes

Dragonknight
70%
SuddwrathGlassHalfFullAvalonRangerAuroranGoldenEagleRebornV3xfred4Elrond87sharquezKlauthWarthogNyassaVEl_BorrachoCatagamipelle412Araneae6537SmokySkaraMinocMesiteCooperharleyRomanRexMidniteOwl1913 28 votes
Templar
2%
meekmiko 1 vote
Sorc
0%
Necro
10%
Credible_JoepavlaprovazWildRaptorXKatzenzunge 4 votes
Warden
5%
ixthUAwilykcat 2 votes
Nightblade
5%
code65536Sonnir 2 votes
Arcanist
7%
ceruuleanLittlePinkDotMetaferret 3 votes
  • Soarora
    Soarora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Depends on the circumstances. DK is the default tank but personally I like sorc and cro way better, doesn’t mean any is better than any other though.

That said, templar and NB are bottom of the barrel. The rest are the circumstantial ones. Templar and NB are just lacking in group buffs.
    PC/NA Dungeoneer (Tank/DPS/Heal), Trialist (DPS/Tank/Heal), and amateur Battlegrounder (DPS) with a passion for The Elder Scrolls lore
    Options
  • boi_anachronism_
    boi_anachronism_
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dk MT, Arc and cro OT
    Options
  • mocap
    mocap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DK just cuz of Magma Shell. Other than that, all of them are good.
    Slot:
    1) Silver Leash (use it also for range taunt if needed) OR Resolving Vigor for bosses
    2) Pierce Armor
    3) Self healing skill (preferably the ones that scales from HP)
    4) flex
    5) flex
    And you are ready for nice&chill Oakentank for dungeons at any difficulty, including vet DLC HM 3DD run.

NB setup for example:
    Leeching Strikes
    Structured Entropy (HOT + Leeching Strikes proc)
    Dark Cloak
    Pierce Armor
    Silver Leash or Vigor or Mirage

You can apply Structured Entropy to multiple targets to get even more healing and Leeching Strikes will proc each second.
    Edited by mocap on April 13, 2024 1:52PM
    Options
  • RebornV3x
    RebornV3x
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dragonknight
    really depends on playstyle I think DK is probably the best but I really like a Sorc tank its more flexable for me
    Xbox One - NA GT: RebornV3x
    I also play on PC from time to time but I just wanna be left alone on there so sorry.
    Options
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Dragonknight
    Probably the easiest class to tank with, even if you don't know what you are doing. Warden is my #2 with Necro at 3.
    Options
  • pelle412
    pelle412
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dragonknight
    I think the DK is the easiest to play and also has quite strong passives that provide minor brutality group buff and stagger damage buff. Having said that, all classes are capable of performing at every level. In damage pushing endgame however the DK and Necromancer are more sought after mainly for the benefits they provide to the group.
    Options
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Dragonknight
    DK for ease of use and group buff potential. Magma Shell and Unrelenting Grip are both outstanding, as are the passives that restore stamina from using Earthen Heart skills and from flame/poison attacks. Depending on your use case Magma Shell is not just "selfish". I believe it is meta in Infinite Archive. Group buffs include Major Sorcery / Brutality, Minor Brutality, Stagger, Engulfing Flames. I'm probably forgetting some.
    Soarora wrote: »
    NB [is] bottom of the barrel. NB [is] just lacking in group buffs.
    They can provide Minor Savagery and debuff bosses with Maim and weapon / spell damage debuffs. The latter isn't highly valued, but possibly underexplored. However the reason I actually rate NBs quite highly is that I've seen one single-tanking vSS, sitting underneath Yolnakhriin, pulling the flame atros in. This is normally a DK / Magma Shell strategy, but a nightblade standing still has a ton of self-healing, these days. That self-healing also means that, as of this patch, nightblade has a viable way of regaining 2.6K stamina and magicka while blocking. It costs health, but I've tried it. It's awesome for beginner tanks. Perma-blocking is even easier than on DK.

As for sorc, it's got that skill increasing block mitigation by 40%. This arguably makes it easier to block hard-hitting bosses. I have not done hard modes, but Talaria's heavy attacks on non-hm vet are an example. Blocking those attacks is arguably easier for new tanks than dodge rolling them. Furthermore, at the high end, it may allow playing a DD as a tank. I believe Hyperioxes has footage of him on a sorc "tank" doing 120K DPS on the first vMoL boss.
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB
    Options
  • pelle412
    pelle412
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dragonknight
    fred4 wrote: »
    DK for ease of use and group buff potential. Magma Shell and Unrelenting Grip are both outstanding, as are the passives that restore stamina from using Earthen Heart skills and from flame/poison attacks. Depending on your use case Magma Shell is not just "selfish". I believe it is meta in Infinite Archive. Group buffs include Major Sorcery / Brutality, Minor Brutality, Stagger, Engulfing Flames. I'm probably forgetting some.

There seems to be much mention of magma shell in this thread. I can't speak for IA but outside of that it's only use would be "oh *** I screwed up" kind of thing. I've tanked for 7 years on a DK and it's not even on my bars. I do slot barrier instead as my front bar ultimate for passive regen and group oh-crap situations.

Options
  • Soarora
    Soarora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    NB [is] bottom of the barrel. NB [is] just lacking in group buffs.
    They can provide Minor Savagery and debuff bosses with Maim and weapon / spell damage debuffs. The latter isn't highly valued, but possibly underexplored. However the reason I actually rate NBs quite highly is that I've seen one single-tanking vSS, sitting underneath Yolnakhriin, pulling the flame atros in. This is normally a DK / Magma Shell strategy, but a nightblade standing still has a ton of self-healing, these days. That self-healing also means that, as of this patch, nightblade has a viable way of regaining 2.6K stamina and magicka while blocking. It costs health, but I've tried it. It's awesome for beginner tanks. Perma-blocking is even easier than on DK.

As for sorc, it's got that skill increasing block mitigation by 40%. This arguably makes it easier to block hard-hitting bosses. I have not done hard modes, but Talaria's heavy attacks on non-hm vet are an example. Blocking those attacks is arguably easier for new tanks than dodge rolling them. Furthermore, at the high end, it may allow playing a DD as a tank. I believe Hyperioxes has footage of him on a sorc "tank" doing 120K DPS on the first vMoL boss.

NB isn’t lacking in group buffs on a healer but it is on a tank. There’s already the NB healer usually anyways, but even without a NB healer— to proc the class group buff you need to do critical damage, no? Tanks don’t buff their crit chance which is my problem with that proc condition.
    PC/NA Dungeoneer (Tank/DPS/Heal), Trialist (DPS/Tank/Heal), and amateur Battlegrounder (DPS) with a passion for The Elder Scrolls lore
    Options
  • GloatingSwine
    GloatingSwine
    ✭✭✭
    pelle412 wrote: »

There seems to be much mention of magma shell in this thread. I can't speak for IA but outside of that it's only use would be "oh *** I screwed up" kind of thing. I've tanked for 7 years on a DK and it's not even on my bars. I do slot barrier instead as my front bar ultimate for passive regen and group oh-crap situations.

Magma Shell is definitely a good ult to dig you out of a hole, though in PUG groups I take Shield Discipline instead because it's 8 seconds where you're immune to getting interrupted and that means you can pick the squishies up off the floor when it's all gone pear shaped for them.

TBH though the "all my resources came back" function on ult is what really makes the DK tank comfortable.
    Options
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dragonknight
    DK has great tool for tanking. I resisted for a while because I don’t care for the look of several of the tanking skills, but it’s so fun to chain enemies in!
    I enjoy tanking with other classes too, especially Arcanist and NB (mass hysteria stun is great).

I haven’t tried tanking on Warden. Templar seems most lacking to me in tanking toolkit.
    Options
  • Orbital78
    Orbital78
    Dragonknight
    Dragon Knights have one of the easier setups with the built in mag pulls but Necro are also very solid. With scribing coming, I think that may help fill out some of the gaps in other classes a little bit.
    Options
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nightblade
    I main a NB tank, hence my vote...

NB are just lacking in group buffs.

AoE versions of both major and minor cowardice, plus AoE expedition that also grants minor recovery.

Compare that to the necro, for example. Necro can provide major vulnerability, but that can also be sourced from item sets. I feel like necro's prominent placement is a lingering effect from back when they had a monopoly on vulnerability, and NB's dismissal is a lingering effect from back when they truly did offer nothing to the group.

mocap wrote: »
    NB setup for example:
    Leeching Strikes
    Structured Entropy (HOT + Leeching Strikes proc)
    Dark Cloak
    Pierce Armor
    Silver Leash or Vigor or Mirage

I would replace Leeching with Siphoning Attacks; resource sustain is generally more important, and the extra self-healing from Leeching is really not at a level that's relevant for a tank. I would also not use Entropy; the healing from that is scaled off of offensive stats and are thus largely irrelevant for a tank. Path for mobility (and a little bit of healing) or Mass Hysteria (for add control and cowardice) are far better options.

(I also would never use Oakensoul on a tank; there's too many useful skills that you'd want to use when tanking on any class, and Oakensoul really is not very useful in general for tanking.)
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
    Options
  • LittlePinkDot
    LittlePinkDot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Arcanist
    I see alot of people saying DK. I was having trouble sustaining on DK.

I made an Arcanist tank and I'm finding sustaining easier because they make such good resource hybrids. If I'm running out of stamina I switch to frost staff and vise versa.
    Options
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nightblade
    I see alot of people saying DK. I was having trouble sustaining on DK.

Sustaining which resource? DK is not a very stam-intensive tank class, particularly since it can essentially convert magicka to stam via the Helping Hands passive. But DK does guzzle magicka. You'll want to have the Atronach mundus stone, and many will also use Balance from the Mages Guild skill line to supplement their sustain.

DK has historically been THE tank class in ESO, in large part because early in the game's history, it had a monopoly on essential tools. For many years, only DK tanks could chain in enemies. For a long time, only DK tanks had a defensive ability that was scaled off its max health.

Over the years, changes to the game's combat have effectively dismantled that monopoly. Silver Leash from Fighter's Guild means that all classes now have a chain ability. And eventually all classes gained a health-scaled heal or shield. So these days, any class can tank. But that inertia from the game's formative years is incredibly strong (e.g., most "tank mains" grew up on DK, there are far more guides and videos on DK tank than any other tank class, etc.), and so DK continues to remain the "default" tank class, even though there are cases where DK is an inferior choice.
    Edited by code65536 on April 28, 2024 12:53PM
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
    Options