The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
β€’ PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Official Discussion Thread for the Gates of Oblivion Celebration Event

ZOS_Kevin
ZOS_Kevin
Community Manager
0umjgnmcfjjz.jpg
This is the official discussion thread for, "Defend Tamriel from Destruction during the Gates of Oblivion Celebration Event "

"Starting this Thursday, tune in to watch members of the ESO Stream Team and special guests take their first steps into the new Endless Archive PvE activity."
Edited by ZOS_JessicaFolsom on November 14, 2023 8:46PM
Community Manager for ZeniMax Online Studio and Elder Scrolls OnlineDev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter
Staff Post
  • NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kevin, can you please tell the others that event fatigue is a thing. It's nice having periods with no events going on!
    [Lie] Of course! I don't even worship Daedra!
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The quote is regarding streaming the Endless Archive and the link is missing.

The Oblivion year dungeons are fun and have my favorite monster helm design (Baron Zaudrus)! :)
    Edited by Araneae6537 on November 15, 2023 4:35PM
  • GlassHalfFull
    GlassHalfFull
    ✭✭✭✭
    Curiosity is the cure for boredom, there is no cure for curiosity.
  • SithDi
    SithDi
    ✭
    I want to verify the 'increased drops to Daily Quests, Dungeons, Resource Nodes, as well as World Bosses and Delves throughout the Blackwood and the Deadlands zones.' means double resource node material drops and not just the boxes.
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kevin, can you please tell the others that event fatigue is a thing. It's nice having periods with no events going on!

This is the first thing I thought when I heard there was yet another event coming soon.

It's too much and I find I just don't participate in most of them any more due to event fatigue. I'd like some time to quest and just play my normal routines.
    PCNA
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This is the first thing I thought when I heard there was yet another event coming soon.

It's too much and I find I just don't participate in most of them any more due to event fatigue. I'd like some time to quest and just play my normal routines.

this is why i usually just do the bare minimum for tickets for events anymore lol

i dont see any reason to really farm most events, i reserve event farming for 1 event a year, which is usually the witches festival lol
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The article doesn't specifically mention this, but I'm presuming that we can also get normal reward boxes from turning in subsequent daily quests after the first one, which rewards a glorious box.
  • Pyr0xyrecuprotite
    Pyr0xyrecuprotite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SithDi wrote: Β»
    I want to verify the 'increased drops to Daily Quests, Dungeons, Resource Nodes, as well as World Bosses and Delves throughout the Blackwood and the Deadlands zones.' means double resource node material drops and not just the boxes.

@SithDi I believe that they say "increased drops" (from resource nodes) rather than "double drops" because it is not technically a doubling of the amount of resources that you get. That is, the calculation is NOT that "whatever you find in a resource node gets doubled", but rather that when you loot a resource node, you get an Extra loot table roll on that node (which may sometimes include event coffers?). For most practical purposes, this is almost the same to players as if it were "double drops", but it won't depend on whether you have the Bountiful Harvest CP passive and so on.
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I think that is kind of the point. The more they put out, the more that players can't complain when they have to miss events due to other circumstances. It ultimately provides a slew of options for players to choose from through the year.

I tend to only really grind events that have new things or achieve parallel goals. (Or make me a ton of gold like Anniversary). So I will definitely be using this event to double up on set pieces from the related dungeons.
  • LunaFlora
    LunaFlora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    yay! Gates of Oblivion event :3
    miaow! i'm Luna ( she/her ).

🌸*throws cherry blossom on you*🌸
    "Eagles advance, traveler! And may the Green watch and keep you."
    🦬🦌🐰
    PlayStation and PC EU.
    LunaLolaBlossom on psn.
    LunaFloraBlossom on pc.
  • RaddlemanNumber7
    RaddlemanNumber7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    "Y’ffre’s Fallen-Wood", is someone having a joke?
    PC EU
  • LunaFlora
    LunaFlora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

fallen wood like the wood we chop in ESO.
    because the style is probably made with wood :)

🦬🦌🐰
    PlayStation and PC EU.
    LunaLolaBlossom on psn.
    LunaFloraBlossom on pc.
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I enjoy the events, but I don't "farm" them, I tend to do little more than the daily minimum needed to get my tickets and gold coffer, and by the end of an event I usually feel a sense of relief when it's over. I treat them similar to the way I treat the daily and weekly endeavors-- I see what types of activities are involved with earning the rewards (be they seals of endeavor, event tickets, event coffers, or whatever), then I choose the specific activities I enjoy the most, or haven't done in a while and want to revisit, or feel like I can handle without undue stress within my daily time constraints.

They've already reduced the number of events each quarter from four to three, and I don't think they could reduce the number down to two events per quarter without creating issues over the whole fragments system for collecting the base morphable item and its various morphs.

Besides, some players really enjoy the events and are often seen in chat or the forums asking when the next event will be or bemoaning the end of an event that they wish would go on for just a little longer, not to mention all of the newer players who are constantly trying to play "catch up" with all of the older event collectibles which are returning for limited times-- that is, during a given quarter-- each year.

It seems to me that the best thing ZOS can do is try to keep the events spread out evenly so there's some time between them for players to relax after one events ends and the next one begins. The biggest problem with that is probably trying to fit the holiday-related events-- such as the Witches Festival and the Jesters Festival-- into the schedule so they can still occur during the appropriate holidays yet still have enough "breathing space" between the other events.

And it seems to me that the best thing the players can do, if they're suffering from event fatigue, is choose which events they want to focus on the most and which ones they don't mind skipping entirely or else partaking in at some personal minimum level of activity, and then for any given event try to work out the best way to integrate it into their preferred activities in their daily or weekly gameplay.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The link to the website article is missing from the original message in case you wanted to add it @ZOS_Kevin :smile:
  • LunaFlora
    LunaFlora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    and the thread isnt pinned

🦬🦌🐰
    PlayStation and PC EU.
    LunaLolaBlossom on psn.
    LunaFloraBlossom on pc.
  • AuroranGoldenEagle
    AuroranGoldenEagle
    ✭✭✭

It's Green-Pact related! Bosmer can't chop down trees, but can use branches and deadwood that's already fallen. Nice little lore nod.

Am looking forward to getting this armor, but I really dislike the eye-slits on helmets that have appeared on a lot of motifs in recent times.
    You have discovered the thirty-seventh Sermon of Vivec, which is a bending of the light, long past the chronicles of the Hortator who wore inconstant faces and ruled however they would, until apocalypse.
  • laniakea_0
    laniakea_0
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's unfortunate that we weren't told about the event details a full week in advance like we were with the Witches Festival.
  • CamdenAnna
    CamdenAnna
    Soul Shriven
    People have to complain about everything! If there are not many event they complain about that. Now people complain about it being too many events. Like with the Christmas decorations, it wasn't enough everywhere. Just don't do all events, you don't have you know! ZOS can never win.
  • LunaFlora
    LunaFlora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It's unfortunate that we weren't told about the event details a full week in advance like we were with the Witches Festival.

to be fair it was expected to be on the 16th by lots of people.
    we knew it would be mid November and last year's Dark Heart of Skyrim event started the same time as this event

🦬🦌🐰
    PlayStation and PC EU.
    LunaLolaBlossom on psn.
    LunaFloraBlossom on pc.
  • Destai
    Destai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    General event feedback:
    • Overall, I welcome the event because I need those DLC Dungeons' stickerbooks. I enjoyed the Gates of Oblivion storylines and the dungeons are some of the best in the game.
    • Beyond that, I'm a little event fatigued. Like we just had Halloween event, EA just launched, and we're throwing another event on top of it. Maybe having at least 30 days between events would be nice.
    • The ticket limit should be increased. I get you guys are wanting to incentivize participation, but it feels a little heavy handed. And especially with the frequency, it's really easy to amass tickets. There's a lot to get, and the ticket limit increases the event fatigue.
    • The new style page drop rates needs to be increased.
    • It could be more clear in-game how to earn tickets. I saw many comments in game chat asking how to get them. The announcements page could be leveraged for that, but the big crown crate sale is taking up that real estate.

The article itself:
    • It would be nice to have this article posted sooner than 3 or 4 days before the actual event. Whatever factors might contribute to a delay should not only be communicated to us, but ultimately resolved. I would hope event release would be a well-oiled machine by now.
    • The forum post was missing a link to the article, so some players had to provide that. Not a big deal, just something to do better next time.
    • The language around "increased drops" doesn't really tell me what I'm getting. Like is it double weapon drops from dungeon bosses? Were you trying to cover all increased drops for the whole event?
    • The rest was well written and I could easily understand where to farm a given drop.

All in all, thanks for putting the event together. Look forward to more - after a small break!
    Edited by Destai on November 16, 2023 5:43PM
  • Sordidfairytale
    Sordidfairytale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Throughout the event, you can earn a Glorious Reward Box once per day each time you complete your first Daily Quest in either the Blackwood or Deadlands zones

The article isn't specific and it would be nice if it indicated that Daily Crafting Quests did not count as a Daily Quest for these rewards.
    The Vegemite Knight

"if the skeleton kills you, your dps is too low." ~STEVIL

The Elder World of WarScrollCraft Online ~joaaocaampos
  • LunaFlora
    LunaFlora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Throughout the event, you can earn a Glorious Reward Box once per day each time you complete your first Daily Quest in either the Blackwood or Deadlands zones

The article isn't specific and it would be nice if it indicated that Daily Crafting Quests did not count as a Daily Quest for these rewards.

for dlc events this has always referred to daily delve, world boss, and world event(if the zone has that) quests.

daily crafting writs aren't specific to dlc zones and the only events that give rewards for completing daily writs are Jubilee and Zeal of Zenithar.

🦬🦌🐰
    PlayStation and PC EU.
    LunaLolaBlossom on psn.
    LunaFloraBlossom on pc.
  • maxxiestackhouse
    maxxiestackhouse
    ✭✭✭
    Oh Look another Event where the Devs do maintenance just to fix a leaderboard in Australian Primetime…. AGAIN! Come on guys this is the 4th time this month you’re not letting an entire group play during their Primetime. Be thankful Starfield is crap….. or we would all be over there πŸ˜‚
  • SithDi
    SithDi
    ✭
    I wish ZOS would put actual effort and time into the event quests. The reward is disappointing and the story is not very engaging. There is literally only one unique item - the new Style pages - that makes it worth working to get boxes at all.
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_Kevin The event article makes no mention of the Grab Bag item being sold by the Impresario. The item description says that it contains items from previous Gates of Oblivion events, but this is the first-ever Gates of Oblivion event. Can you please elaborate on what this item is supposed to contain?
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Extended Journal Add-Ons: Item Set Browser ― Loot Log ― Character Knowledge ― Event Collectibles ― Raidificator
    Media: YouTube ― Twitch
  • AuroranGoldenEagle
    AuroranGoldenEagle
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_Kevin The event article makes no mention of the Grab Bag item being sold by the Impresario. The item description says that it contains items from previous Gates of Oblivion events, but this is the first-ever Gates of Oblivion event. Can you please elaborate on what this item is supposed to contain?

I just purchased one, and recieved the Pellucid Swamp Jelly pet, which was originally a reward for the Bounties of Blackwood event in 2021. Genuinely really happy as I didn't think I'd get the chance to own this lil guy
    You have discovered the thirty-seventh Sermon of Vivec, which is a bending of the light, long past the chronicles of the Hortator who wore inconstant faces and ruled however they would, until apocalypse.
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I just purchased one, and recieved the Pellucid Swamp Jelly pet, which was originally a reward for the Bounties of Blackwood event in 2021. Genuinely really happy as I didn't think I'd get the chance to own this lil guy

Thanks. I spent some tickets on my alt account and got...
    • Pellucid Swamp Jelly pet (originally the 33% unlock reward from Bounties of Blackwood)
    • Shadows of Blackwood markings (two separate collectibles for face and body, each requiring a separate bag pull) (originally the 66% unlock reward from Bounties of Blackwood)
    • Voriplasm pet fragment (seven separate fragments, each requiring a separate bag pull) (originally from the Murkmire Celebration, which then returned as Impresario items during Bounties of Blackwood)

So we're looking at being able to spend up to 20 tickets on the Grab Bag.
    Edited by code65536 on November 17, 2023 3:55PM
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Extended Journal Add-Ons: Item Set Browser ― Loot Log ― Character Knowledge ― Event Collectibles ― Raidificator
    Media: YouTube ― Twitch
  • LunaFlora
    LunaFlora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    oh those grab bag items seem awesome.
    i wonder if that's how zos might give us the chance to get the Dragon's Treasure Trove during a future Year of the Dragon celebration, because it was from the first Elsweyr event's reward bundle

🦬🦌🐰
    PlayStation and PC EU.
    LunaLolaBlossom on psn.
    LunaFloraBlossom on pc.
  • liliub17_ESO
    liliub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Yesterday evening - the event guy's area was jam packed with players, companions, and pets - and as soon as you returned with his "pets", it became a nightmare of bright light effects and restricted ability to actually move to complete the quest! Imagine too many people in a small space and then strobe lights come on at the same time there are massive colored spotlights - and you're trying to maneuver around all those people to get to the light switches to turn them off.

Before anyone says anything, I have the toggle on for restricting the number of companions/pets though I think that only counts in towns as well as graphic effects turned lower to reduce the strobe-like effects some skills and areas have.

I would have expected devs to think of the difficulty.

Today, next to no issue as (apparently) most folks had already done the quest and didn't need to return.

Haven't looked at the event in The Deadlands, if there is any. With the single quest in Blackwood, rather tame occasional bonus boxes, and the single glorious-for-dailies, this "event" doesn't seem to be celebrating anything. Nothing in the Impresario's haul interests me, either. Did get a Voriplasm pet fragment in a grab bag, guess I could just collect up those bags and hope there's something decent.