Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

ESO will be free with EPIC (20-27 July) Confirmed!

• SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AzuraFan wrote: »
    Yes. Unless you also buy the base game direct from Zos on that same account. Otherwise you will need to use the Epic launcher

Darn, I think I'll skip it, then. I don't want to be tied to the epic launcher. I'll wait until the next sale and buy it directly from ZOS.

Quakecon is coming soon, and I think ESO typically has a sale around that time.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    h9dlb wrote: »
    Can you link the epic game to the steam account game so you don't have to install it twice?

If you know what you are doing... yes.
    ESO Plus: No
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • h9dlb
    h9dlb
    ✭✭✭✭
    Elsonso wrote: »
    Can you link the epic game to the steam account game so you don't have to install it twice?

Please explain how then as I couldn't figure it out
  • freespirit
    freespirit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I have two accounts not on Steam and now a new one via Epic which atm I've had to download a second version of the game to use.

I am not very technically gifted infact I'm awful!! I have done some digging and have not found a way that I can use my new account via my original launcher and game install.....

I tried logging in via the normal launcher with my new account details, I got the access code pop-up which also now says "if it exists" talking about the new account.

I didn't receive an access code but I can log in fine via the Epic Launcher. I would be interested if there is a way to just use the one game install but it isn't the end of the world if I can't, my HDD is relatively empty!
    When people say to me........
    "You're going to regret that in the morning"
    I sleep until midday cos I'm a problem solver!
  • belial5221_ESO
    belial5221_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can't use new account with the normal game launcher.Epic one uses tokens it checks online for before logging you in.If you login to the eso site and check account,it'll show a totally separate account type.I got one for an old freeplay account I wanted to play more on,and linked and it worked fine,but it shows 2 diff account types a Trial for the freeplay event,and an Epic one for the epic games version.SO if Epic closes,probably lose that access to game or atleast that version.
    Edited by belial5221_ESO on July 20, 2023 11:15PM
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Obviously, this is experimental. ESO on Epic hasn't even been out 24 hours, so any number of things can go wrong. However, as near as I can tell, there is no difference between the PC, Steam, and Epic versions of ESO. Just the launchers are different.

Until there is a patch and I can verify that nothing gets hosed up, this remains an experiment. That said, the trick is to create an NTFS Junction between the Epic "The Elder Scrolls Online" directory and the Steam "The Elder Scrolls Online" directory. The launchers are separate, but to them, the junction looks just like a normal directory.

Again... experimental at this time. Do not recommend that the faint of heart follow in my footsteps at this time. :smile:
    Can't use new account with the normal game launcher.Epic one uses tokens it checks online for before logging you in.If you login to the eso site and check account,it'll show a totally separate account type.I got one for an old freeplay account I wanted to play more on,and linked and it worked fine,but it shows 2 diff account types a Trial for the freeplay event,and an Epic one for the epic games version.SO if Epic closes,probably lose that access to game or atleast that version.

My Steam ESO account, which was never part of the "free trial" program, can log into ESO from either the Steam or the non-Steam launcher, or even by directly running the non-Steam game without the launcher in the way. The Epic account that I am experimenting with was a "free trial" account, and that only works with Epic from the Epic launcher. I am not sure if that is because it was a "free trial" account, or if all Epic accounts will be that way.

Edit: Yes... when the next free trial comes out, I will see what happens to that account. :eek:
    Edited by Elsonso on July 20, 2023 11:39PM
    ESO Plus: No
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • h9dlb
    h9dlb
    ✭✭✭✭
    freespirit wrote: »

I have two accounts not on Steam and now a new one via Epic which atm I've had to download a second version of the game to use.

I am not very technically gifted infact I'm awful!! I have done some digging and have not found a way that I can use my new account via my original launcher and game install.....

I tried logging in via the normal launcher with my new account details, I got the access code pop-up which also now says "if it exists" talking about the new account.

I didn't receive an access code but I can log in fine via the Epic Launcher. I would be interested if there is a way to just use the one game install but it isn't the end of the world if I can't, my HDD is relatively empty!

exactly same for me - says will send an access code but nothing in my mailbox. I really dont want to have 2 versions of the game and secondly if you download it, it will overwrite all your settings and keybinds etc
  • freespirit
    freespirit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

exactly same for me - says will send an access code but nothing in my mailbox. I really dont want to have 2 versions of the game and secondly if you download it, it will overwrite all your settings and keybinds etc

It didn't overwrite anything, the Elder Scrolls Online folder in my Documents is being accessed by the new account on Epic but none of my main account settings have changed.

So the new install itself changed nothing BUT presumably if I use different settings there might be issues. I know it's using that folder because my new account has all my addons on it.

I am on my new account whilst typing this. :)
    Edited by freespirit on July 21, 2023 12:33AM
  • belial5221_ESO
    belial5221_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Was testing,and you can use the Epic installed version for steam,epic,and normal accounts.There's executables for each type in the epic installed version.You can jsut use shortcut to the eso64.exe file in the epic installed version to launch the game for normal accounts.Best to use epic launcher for epic accounts cause it needs to verify token online.I don't use steam,so not sure if that works right or not,without needing to point folders from steam.
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Steam version installs it as "\The Elder Scrolls Online" while Epic installs it as "\TheElderScrollsOnline" so trying to combine them is not possible, I'm going to see if I can change the pathways after the installation is done to launch the same exe. Having a second account for free is nice, but I don't want to keep two installations of the same game updated.

Okay I got my second account working. Both Epic and Steam auto-login on their respective accounts. I can't get the Epic version to recognize my gamepad (PS4 controller), Steam does it through Big Picture mode. If you selected the option to use an existing account then both Epic and Steam can use the same account, login, and bypasses the manual type in. However I cannot use the Epic launcher to log on my Steam account if its a different account there's no option for it. I can still log on either account with the base launcher, but you have to manually type in name/pass which defeats the purpose of the bypass.

I made two shortcuts on my desktop to their respective launchers, to use both games at the same time you use Epic first as it closes out the launcher when the game starts up. Steam on the other hand requires the launcher to remain active while the game is running, and will prevent Epic from starting its launcher. Hopefully this doesn't trigger the multiboxing violation, I'm manually controlling both games on two different monitors, I like to be able to trade with myself directly than using the mail system.
    Edited by phaneub17_ESO on July 21, 2023 4:17AM
  • acastanza_ESO
    acastanza_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Steam version installs it as "\The Elder Scrolls Online" while Epic installs it as "\TheElderScrollsOnline" so trying to combine them is not possible, I'm going to see if I can change the pathways after the installation is done to launch the same exe. Having a second account for free is nice, but I don't want to keep two installations of the same game updated.

Inside both those folders is a second, separate, "The Elder Scrolls Online" folder that contains the actual game files. You can create a symlink from your original install to the location in the epic folder and it works just fine.

Doesn't need to be a junction like an earlier poster said, a normal symlink created with mklink /D works just fine.

For me the command looked like
    mklink /D "C:\Program Files (x86)\Epic Games\Games\TheElderScrollsOnline\The Elder Scrolls Online" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Zenimax Online\The Elder Scrolls Online"

The "The Elder Scrolls Online" folder can't already exist inside the Epic "TheElderScrollsOnline" folder so if it does, delete then create the symlink from an admin command prompt.

Basically, start the install process through Epic until it loads the Epic version of the ESO launcher, quit, then create the symlink. Should be all good from there! If it doesn't recognize it you might need to run a repair. But once it's done, the two launchers will share one copy of the game files.
    Edited by acastanza_ESO on July 21, 2023 4:25AM
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Okay I'm not computer literate enough to know how to do that.

"You do not have sufficient privilege to perform this operation."

Double checking... Local Account, Administrator.

Okay got it working! Had to select cmd in the menu to "Run as Admistrator" before launching it. So its now running off the steam install for both versions of the game.
    Edited by phaneub17_ESO on July 21, 2023 4:54AM
  • RaikaNA
    RaikaNA
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    WiseSky wrote: »
    Lylith wrote: »
    epic?

easy pass.

thanks anyway.

Here are 20 games you passed out on, out of the 300 I have collected for free with epic over 2 years.

y9jz9012lfiq.png

Nice collection you have!
  • Kazouha
    Kazouha
    ✭✭
    FYI this also works with the ZOS folder if you don't have the Steam version.

Inside both those folders is a second, separate, "The Elder Scrolls Online" folder that contains the actual game files. You can create a symlink from your original install to the location in the epic folder and it works just fine.

Doesn't need to be a junction like an earlier poster said, a normal symlink created with mklink /D works just fine.

For me the command looked like
    mklink /D "C:\Program Files (x86)\Epic Games\Games\TheElderScrollsOnline\The Elder Scrolls Online" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Zenimax Online\The Elder Scrolls Online"

The "The Elder Scrolls Online" folder can't already exist inside the Epic "TheElderScrollsOnline" folder so if it does, delete then create the symlink from an admin command prompt.

Basically, start the install process through Epic until it loads the Epic version of the ESO launcher, quit, then create the symlink. Should be all good from there! If it doesn't recognize it you might need to run a repair. But once it's done, the two launchers will share one copy of the game files.

PC/EU

DD Magicka Pet Sorcerer
  • RaikaNA
    RaikaNA
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I too am experiencing the same issue.. When I try logging in using the regular launcher.. it's telling me that I need an access code, and that one will be sent to me... which it never did.
  • freespirit
    freespirit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Aside from the "two installs" issue I was pleasantly surprised that Warden was included in this version! 👍
    Edited by freespirit on July 21, 2023 10:33AM
  • belial5221_ESO
    belial5221_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is a program called symlinkcreator for ppl not wanting to do commandlines,makes it quick and easy to make the different types of links to save space.Also sometimes emails won't get sent if you accidently put wrong password,or some companies block or have a huge delay sending to lesser known email providers.
  • jsjem
    jsjem
    ✭✭✭
    I don't like Epic cause they don't provide most Mac version games, I only care about the crown price, cheaper or more expensive?
  • redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    epic?

easy pass.

thanks anyway.

Here are 20 games you passed out on, out of the 300 I have collected for free with epic over 2 years.

y9jz9012lfiq.png

Death Stranding, an awesome game by Mr. Kojima!
    "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
    • Sons of the Night Mother [PS5][EU] 2165 CP
    • Daggerfall's Mightiest [PS5][NA] 1910 CP
    • SweetTrolls [PC][EU] 1950 CP
    • Bacon Rats [PC][NA] 1850 CP
  • DustyWarehouse
    DustyWarehouse
    ✭✭✭
    RaikaNA wrote: »
    I too am experiencing the same issue.. When I try logging in using the regular launcher.. it's telling me that I need an access code, and that one will be sent to me... which it never did.
    Did you manage to log into your account using the regular launcher? I don't want to be locked out of my main account
  • Alinhbo_Tyaka
    Alinhbo_Tyaka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I picked up Fallout: New Vegas a month or so with the Epic free offer. The one thing I've run into and hate is I get repetitive sharing popups even though I reject them. They eventually end after 10'ish popups but they ruin the early part of the playing session. I don't know if the same will occur with ESO but just thought I'd throw it out there.
  • freespirit
    freespirit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    RaikaNA wrote: »
    Did you manage to log into your account using the regular launcher? I don't want to be locked out of my main account

I currently still have 2 game installs because well it's working, I have room and I'm lazy!

I log into the new Epic account via their launcher. I log into my two older accounts using my original launcher, I don't use Steam.

Have been swapping around like crazy setting up my new account without any issues, hope this helps. :)
  • Jammy420
    Jammy420
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why on earth would I want to play on the most toxic platform out there?
    epic?

easy pass.

thanks anyway.

y9jz9012lfiq.png

I would rather not be part of a company that tries to push third party exclusives.
  • Kiralyn2000
    Kiralyn2000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TaSheen wrote: »
    Braffin wrote: »
    Could someone explain what this is accomplishing please. Is it something like GOG now selling DRMA free Skyrim?

Not really. Epic games provides usually a free game once a week (except around christmas, then it's a daily giveaway). As far as I know they are paying the developers for this and use it to advertise their online store.

Most of the time you can get nice little indie games for free that way, but occassionally they also offer games from bigger companies (in the past there were for example gta5, some ea titles and so on).

Usually you can claim the basegame for free but have to pay if you want use additional dlc content.

Ah. I don't think I've ever run across Epic in any capacity prior. Thanks so much for explaining! I can see that base game areas may get a bit crowded then....

epic is like a much much more terrible version of steam lol

Which is why they're constantly trying to bribe people to join with free games and/or paying off publishers for timed exclusive releases.
  • Jammy420
    Jammy420
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Braffin wrote: »
    Could someone explain what this is accomplishing please. Is it something like GOG now selling DRMA free Skyrim?

Not really. Epic games provides usually a free game once a week (except around christmas, then it's a daily giveaway). As far as I know they are paying the developers for this and use it to advertise their online store.

Most of the time you can get nice little indie games for free that way, but occassionally they also offer games from bigger companies (in the past there were for example gta5, some ea titles and so on).

Usually you can claim the basegame for free but have to pay if you want use additional dlc content.

Ah. I don't think I've ever run across Epic in any capacity prior. Thanks so much for explaining! I can see that base game areas may get a bit crowded then....

epic is like a much much more terrible version of steam lol

Which is why they're constantly trying to bribe people to join with free games and/or paying off publishers for timed exclusive releases.

They haven't even been able to implement avatars in three years. And after the fiasco with rocket league, I have forever been turned off from them.
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a question for anyone who's gotten this free copy and installed it.

(I picked it up, but haven't installed it yet due to hard drive space issues on my computer.)

I read one announcement that mentioned "ESO base game plus Warden." Do we need to grab the Warden class for free from the Crown Store during this free offer, or is it always available for free now?

I'm wondering if I'll need to go ahead and install the game a second time-- hard drive space be darned-- so I can be sure to get the Warden class for free, or if it's safe to drag my feet until I get around to looking up how to install the game on an external drive via the Epic Game Launcher.
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You get Warden, VVardenfell, and 500 Crowns. There's a "newcomer" package to buy 1500 crowns, salamander pet, and a 150% XP scroll for $10.00 from the Epic Store for this copy of the game. The starter package, Adept is currently discounted just 50 shy over your starter amount to get you to buy the newcomer package.

I did the link thing and it works, it shaved off 97.5gb and running off the steam install, I turned off auto updates on Epic. If you use a controller that isn't Xbox, it doesn't work with Epic Store, but the workaround is to add the Epic Launcher to Steam so when ESO runs it activates Big Picture mode and then you can use any controller you want.
    Edited by phaneub17_ESO on July 23, 2023 4:13AM
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You get Warden, VVardenfell, and 500 Crowns. There's a "newcomer" package to buy 1500 crowns, salamander pet, and a 150% XP scroll for $10.00 from the Epic Store for this copy of the game. The starter package, Adept is currently discounted just 50 shy over your starter amount to get you to buy the newcomer package.

I did the link thing and it works, it shaved off 97.5gb and running off the steam install, I turned off auto updates on Epic. If you use a controller that isn't Xbox, it doesn't work with Epic Store, but the workaround is to add the Epic Launcher to Steam so when ESO runs it activates Big Picture mode and then you can use any controller you want.

@phaneub17_ESO, thank you for that information! I'm not sure I want to attempt "the link thing," although if it's easy to do then I'll go for it. But does linking the Epic offer to your existing Steam install mean that it will log in with your Steam credentials, or will it still be a separate account? I'm hoping to keep it separate from my existing ESO/Steam account.
  • Naomi_K
    Naomi_K
    ✭✭✭
    @SeaGtGruff Creating the link is easy. Logging in through Epic will log you into your Epic account. Only the game will use the data from you steam folder instead of having to install it a second time.
    PC EU
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can log into both epic and steam account separately with their respective app and launchers. I have two shortcuts on my desktop for each one. The Epic one is a little slow that it can't connect on first attempts so I have to do it twice at the login screen, but otherwise they both work fine. They're both token ID logins so no need to enter anything.

This is great with Zeal of Zenithar next week, my main account will be working that on all 20 characters while using my second account as strictly play only. No collecting, no crafting, barebones cosmetics, I'm still using power level gear though.
    Edited by phaneub17_ESO on July 23, 2023 12:35PM