Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

ESO will be free with EPIC (20-27 July) Confirmed!

OnnuK
OnnuK
✭✭✭✭
It will be free via Epic Games on 20 - 27 July.
i0w8cnkzhr05.png
stl6lac238i2.png
PC/EU @onnuk, Guild: ANADOLU "|H1:guild:29269|hAnadolu|h"
  • AzuraFan
    AzuraFan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Excellent! I'm going to pick this up and create a second account. I'm learning French and I'm thinking I might switch that account to French as a fun way to practice reading and comprehension. I didn't want to do it with my existing account, so this will work out great.
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Could someone explain what this is accomplishing please. Is it something like GOG now selling DRMA free Skyrim?

"But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending." Mercedes Lackey, Into the West

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- four accounts, many alts....
  • Braffin
    Braffin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    TaSheen wrote: »
    Could someone explain what this is accomplishing please. Is it something like GOG now selling DRMA free Skyrim?

Not really. Epic games provides usually a free game once a week (except around christmas, then it's a daily giveaway). As far as I know they are paying the developers for this and use it to advertise their online store.

Most of the time you can get nice little indie games for free that way, but occassionally they also offer games from bigger companies (in the past there were for example gta5, some ea titles and so on).

Usually you can claim the basegame for free but have to pay if you want use additional dlc content.
    Never get between a cat and it's candy!
    ---
    Overland difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including One Tamriel, an overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver & Gold as a "you think you do but you don't" - tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game. I'm bored of dungeons, I'm bored of trials; make a personal difficulty slider for overland. It's not that hard.
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Braffin wrote: »

Not really. Epic games provides usually a free game once a week (except around christmas, then it's a daily giveaway). As far as I know they are paying the developers for this and use it to advertise their online store.

Most of the time you can get nice little indie games for free that way, but occassionally they also offer games from bigger companies (in the past there were for example gta5, some ea titles and so on).

Usually you can claim the basegame for free but have to pay if you want use additional dlc content.

Ah. I don't think I've ever run across Epic in any capacity prior. Thanks so much for explaining! I can see that base game areas may get a bit crowded then....

"But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending." Mercedes Lackey, Into the West

• phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

They're doing a crossover with Fortnite so possibly Elder Scrolls characters will be available as skins there I presume.
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

They're doing a crossover with Fortnite so possibly Elder Scrolls characters will be available as skins there I presume.

Huh. Well, I've never had any interest in Fortnite, and I don't need to mess with Epic games for any reason either. If I want a 4th account eventually (assuming I stick around that long) I'll buy the base game and chapter collection on sale from ZOS.

• Dr_Con
    Dr_Con
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    can you please translate what the underlined text means for those of us who don't speak Turkish? I'm looking to host an event and need absolute confirmation this is going to happen, my EGS launcher did not specify that it was going to be free- only that it was "coming soon," it does not specify if there will be a free ESO+ week.

tom5leyvdsws.png

this seems to imply the base game (which commonly goes on sale for like 5.99 or is available free sometimes) will be free.

@ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_Kevin it would be amazing to get some sort of official confirmation about whether or not ESO+ will be free this week while we wait for an official post. Online gaming news articles are already speculating about it.
    Edited by Dr_Con on July 18, 2023 3:00PM
  • OnnuK
    OnnuK
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dr_Con wrote: »
    can you please translate what the underlined text means for those of us who don't speak Turkish? I'm looking to host an event and need absolute confirmation this is going to happen, my EGS launcher did not specify that it was going to be free- only that it was "coming soon"

underlined text "ücretsiz" means free xD
    Here is the English version with full free lineup...
    fmbs6ocxldtn.png
    Edited by OnnuK on July 18, 2023 3:01PM
    PC/EU @onnuk, Guild: ANADOLU "|H1:guild:29269|hAnadolu|h"
  • Dr_Con
    Dr_Con
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    OnnuK wrote: »
    can you please translate what the underlined text means for those of us who don't speak Turkish? I'm looking to host an event and need absolute confirmation this is going to happen, my EGS launcher did not specify that it was going to be free- only that it was "coming soon"

underlined text "ücretsiz" means free xD
    Here is the English version with full free lineup...
    fmbs6ocxldtn.png

Thank you! Now my request from the ZOS team is separate from the topic title, I eagerly await their response
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Braffin wrote: »

Ah. I don't think I've ever run across Epic in any capacity prior. Thanks so much for explaining! I can see that base game areas may get a bit crowded then....

epic is like a much much more terrible version of steam lol

the only game i ever played on it was fortnite (4-5 years ago back before it had the battle royale nonsense when it had a decent co op campaign)

i even refused to play borderlands 3 until it went on steam, i had to wait a full year for its exclusivity agreement with epic to run out
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014

i have my main house (grand topal hideaway) listed in the housing tours, it has multiple target dummies, scribing altar, and grandmaster stations (in progress being filled out), as well as almost every antiquity furnishing on display to preview them

feel free to stop by and use the facilities
  • ZOS_Kevin
    ZOS_Kevin
    Community Manager
    @ZOS_Kevin it would be amazing to get some sort of official confirmation about whether or not ESO+ will be free this week while we wait for an official post. Online gaming news articles are already speculating about it.

Hey there. This promotion is specific to ESO base game, not to ESO+.

Edited by ZOS_Kevin on July 18, 2023 3:20PM
    Community Manager for ZeniMax Online Studio and Elder Scrolls OnlineDev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter
    Staff Post
  • Treeshka
    Treeshka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does it mean whoever claims it between those days can keep it forever and can play base game whenever they want? Not sure if it is limited time free play or not. Never been in Epic Store.
  • ZOS_Kevin
    ZOS_Kevin
    Community Manager
    @Treeshka Yes, if you claim the base game through the Epic store during that week, you keep the base game forever on the Epic store. No strings attached.
    Edited by ZOS_Kevin on July 18, 2023 4:44PM
    Community Manager for ZeniMax Online Studio and Elder Scrolls OnlineDev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter
    Staff Post
  • fizl101
    fizl101
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Treeshka wrote: »
    Does it mean whoever claims it between those days can keep it forever and can play base game whenever they want? Not sure if it is limited time free play or not. Never been in Epic Store.
    Its free to ‘buy’ for 1 week, its not limited time play. They release a free game every week
    Soupy twist
  • EF321
    EF321
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Will it be tied to Epic launcher, like steam version to steam?
  • RicAlmighty
    RicAlmighty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    EF321 wrote: »

Yes. Unless you also buy the base game direct from Zos on that same account. Otherwise you will need to use the Epic launcher
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes. Unless you also buy the base game direct from Zos on that same account. Otherwise you will need to use the Epic launcher

You don't have to use the Steam launcher, but doing so avoids the whole account name and password thing, and you can link an existing ESO account (free trial account) to Steam. I wonder if the same applies to the Epic version.
    ESO Plus: No
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • MorninStar
    MorninStar
    ✭✭
    Elsonso wrote: »

You don't have to use the Steam launcher, but doing so avoids the whole account name and password thing, and you can link an existing ESO account (free trial account) to Steam. I wonder if the same applies to the Epic version.

Yes if you played on a free trial account, you can link that account to the Epic store and the game.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MorninStar wrote: »
    Elsonso wrote: »

Yes if you played on a free trial account, you can link that account to the Epic store and the game.

If that is the case, then it should make for an excellent transition for players who took advantage of the free trials but didn't end up purchasing the game.
    Edited by Elsonso on July 18, 2023 11:54PM
  • Tyrant_Tim
    Tyrant_Tim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Can’t wait to see the game packed.
  • Haenk
    Haenk
    ✭✭✭✭
    I hope this is not a move into "F2P with microtransactions"-territory...
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Haenk wrote: »
    I hope this is not a move into "F2P with microtransactions"-territory...

This feels like nothing more than a special promotion, more of a benefit for Epic than for ESO. My expectation is that when the promotion is concluded, ESO joins the Epic Game Store at something like $20, similar to what Steam sells it for. Epic Game Store is clearly trying to build a player base against Steam and looking for titles that will further that goal. ESO is not the type of game I associate with the Epic Game Store, which may be why this is happening.

Given an assumption that the Epic Game Store audience is not really stacked with fantasy RPG MMO players, it would be interesting to see how many of these new free ESO players actually make it to Level 10.

• phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS_Kevin wrote: »
    @Treeshka Yes, if you claim the base game through the Epic store during that week, you keep the base game forever on the Epic store. No strings attached.

Can I use the same email for the Epic Store ESO as I do with my current ESO account? Thinking about how it works with account recovery and stuff.
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    ZOS_Kevin wrote: »

Can I use the same email for the Epic Store ESO as I do with my current ESO account? Thinking about how it works with account recovery and stuff.

I assume it is like Steam or consoles where you don’t need to associate an email. Just your Epic account.
  • AzuraFan
    AzuraFan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Darn, I think I'll skip it, then. I don't want to be tied to the epic launcher. I'll wait until the next sale and buy it directly from ZOS.
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AzuraFan wrote: »

Darn, I think I'll skip it, then. I don't want to be tied to the epic launcher. I'll wait until the next sale and buy it directly from ZOS.

Yeah. I hate game front ends. I don't even use ZOS's launcher except for patches.

• Lylith
    Lylith
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    epic?

easy pass.

thanks anyway.
  • WiseSky
    WiseSky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Lylith wrote: »
    epic?

easy pass.

thanks anyway.

Here are 20 games you passed out on, out of the 300 I have collected for free with epic over 2 years.

y9jz9012lfiq.png

Immersive Quests Addon
    Wish to Quest without Quest Way Markers? ''Talk to the Hooded Figure'' Turns into ''Talk to the Hooded Figure, who is feeding the chickens near the southeastern gate in the city of Daggerfall in Glenumbra.'' If you Wish To write bread crumbs clues for quest for other players to experience come join the team!
    List of Immersion Addons
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eh. No use for any of those, free or not. Actually....

I only play TES. The only world I'm interested in living in.

• h9dlb
    h9dlb
    ✭✭✭✭
    Can you link the epic game to the steam account game so you don't have to install it twice?