Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

ESO will be free with EPIC (20-27 July) Confirmed!

• SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you both, @Naomi_K and @phaneub17_ESO, for your helpful replies! :)
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • h9dlb
    h9dlb
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just got epic working and I get a message is this a new account or do you have an existing account. If I click existing it gives me a code to link accounts. Not sure whether I should choose new or existing?
    Edited by h9dlb on July 23, 2023 5:29PM
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    h9dlb wrote: »
    Just got epic working and I get a message is this a new account or do you have an existing account. If I click existing it gives me a code to link accounts. Not sure whether I should choose new or existing?

Well do you want a second account you pick new. If you want a secondary login point you select existing then it links your current account.
  • Ragnarok0130
    Ragnarok0130
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    TaSheen wrote: »
    Could someone explain what this is accomplishing please. Is it something like GOG now selling DRMA free Skyrim?

Zos likely thinks it will give players who may be interested but not enough to buy the game for $5 on a steam sale the incentive to check ESO out and become Crown Store Patrons. Of course the inevitable conclusion of this free on Epic deal will be the servers becoming infested with gold spamming accounts as we've already seen on PCNA when gold seller spammers hasn't been an issue on PCNA since early in the game's life.
  • Ragnarok0130
    Ragnarok0130
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Jammy420 wrote: »
    Braffin wrote: »
    Could someone explain what this is accomplishing please. Is it something like GOG now selling DRMA free Skyrim?

Not really. Epic games provides usually a free game once a week (except around christmas, then it's a daily giveaway). As far as I know they are paying the developers for this and use it to advertise their online store.

Most of the time you can get nice little indie games for free that way, but occassionally they also offer games from bigger companies (in the past there were for example gta5, some ea titles and so on).

Usually you can claim the basegame for free but have to pay if you want use additional dlc content.

Ah. I don't think I've ever run across Epic in any capacity prior. Thanks so much for explaining! I can see that base game areas may get a bit crowded then....

epic is like a much much more terrible version of steam lol

Which is why they're constantly trying to bribe people to join with free games and/or paying off publishers for timed exclusive releases.

They haven't even been able to implement avatars in three years. And after the fiasco with rocket league, I have forever been turned off from them.

Has Epic patched in a shopping cart yet? I couldn't believe that vital piece of infrastructure was missing form them at launch.
  • adriant1978
    adriant1978
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Zos likely thinks it will give players who may be interested but not enough to buy the game for $5 on a steam sale the incentive to check ESO out and become Crown Store Patrons. Of course the inevitable conclusion of this free on Epic deal will be the servers becoming infested with gold spamming accounts as we've already seen on PCNA when gold seller spammers hasn't been an issue on PCNA since early in the game's life.

I wonder if this is a prelude to ESO finally going full F2P. I can't believe they make much off sales of the base game anymore.
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Not to mention the login queue on PC EU earlier. *sigh*

"But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending." Mercedes Lackey, Into the West

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- four accounts, many alts....
  • SgtWinnie
    SgtWinnie
    ✭✭✭
    I have a steam copy I linked but never use steam to login.
    Same with the Zos launcher, only use it for updates.
    I have 62 accts atm thought I would pick up another with Epic but to much garbage to go thru to do so.
    Thank you for letting everyone know though, I'm sure people will make use of it.
  • wilykcat
    wilykcat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I saw something about Elderscrolls themed Fortnite stuff.
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SgtWinnie wrote: »
    I have 62 accts atm

What are you doing with...
  • vsrs_au
    vsrs_au
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder how many new players there are who will play ESO for only a short while, and then quit? I'm guessing that player retention (for any game, really) is higher when the player has actually paid money for the game.
    PC(Steam) / EU / play from Melbourne, Australia / avg ping 390
  • Katheriah
    Katheriah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
  • OnnuK
    OnnuK
    ✭✭✭✭
    Seyda Neen Docks has many Soul Shrivens now... Whenever I visit there yesterday it was like this ...I hope at least 25% of them stay and continue ESO journey...

ulpo5106ayd3.png
    Edited by OnnuK on July 24, 2023 5:40AM
    PC/EU @onnuk, Guild: ANADOLU "|H1:guild:29269|hAnadolu|h"
  • BenTSG
    BenTSG
    ✭✭✭✭
    Naomi_K wrote: »
    @SeaGtGruff Creating the link is easy. Logging in through Epic will log you into your Epic account. Only the game will use the data from you steam folder instead of having to install it a second time.

@Naomi_K Would you be able to point me in the direction of some sort of guide on how to do it, and if it even works if I link my standalone version of ESO (From the website, not via Steam or Epic)? I've never seen System Linking before, and I've no clue what to even link what to which and what to launch to get either the default launcher or the Epic Launcher once linked. It's all good if you aren't able to though!
  • Naomi_K
    Naomi_K
    ✭✭✭
    @BenTSG I've never done this before either. I followed acastanza_ESO's instructions on page 2 of this thread. They wrote down the command prompt they used to create the link. It should work with standalone ESO too.

I Installed the Epic Games launcher and then installed the ESO launcher from there. (In a seperate location from my steam installation). Launched ESO from Epic to let the ESO launcher update. Then closed it again without installing ESO.

Then created the link:

1 - Press Windows + R on keyboard to bring up Run
    2 - Type in cmd.exe and click ok
    3 - Use the command prompt to make the link

This is the command prompt acastanza_ESO's wrote. Just replace their folder paths with yours.
    mklink /D "C:\Program Files (x86)\Epic Games\Games\TheElderScrollsOnline\The Elder Scrolls Online" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Zenimax Online\The Elder Scrolls Online"

When you've linked the folders, use the default launcher to log in as usual to your main account and use the Epic launcher to log into your Epic account.
    PC EU
  • BenTSG
    BenTSG
    ✭✭✭✭
    Naomi_K wrote: »
    @BenTSG I've never done this before either. I followed acastanza_ESO's instructions on page 2 of this thread. They wrote down the command prompt they used to create the link. It should work with standalone ESO too.

I Installed the Epic Games launcher and then installed the ESO launcher from there. (In a seperate location from my steam installation). Launched ESO from Epic to let the ESO launcher update. Then closed it again without installing ESO.

Then created the link:

1 - Press Windows + R on keyboard to bring up Run
    2 - Type in cmd.exe and click ok
    3 - Use the command prompt to make the link

This is the command prompt acastanza_ESO's wrote. Just replace their folder paths with yours.
    mklink /D "C:\Program Files (x86)\Epic Games\Games\TheElderScrollsOnline\The Elder Scrolls Online" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Zenimax Online\The Elder Scrolls Online"

When you've linked the folders, use the default launcher to log in as usual to your main account and use the Epic launcher to log into your Epic account.

Of course I missed that someone else had put down to how do it! Apologise for the ping then. Anyway I followed what you said and found Acastanza's comment too which helped me figure out that I had to delete the exsisting ESO folder in the Epic install to create the link, and got that all sorted. I forgot the servers went down so when I loaded up Epic, it downloaded a patch that my other launcher did not so it's good to see both will still handle updates and all just fine! Many thanks to both yourself and Acastanza for the help!
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Last day!
  • WiseSky
    WiseSky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I
    Jammy420 wrote: »
    Why on earth would I want to play on the most toxic platform out there?
    WiseSky wrote: »
    Lylith wrote: »
    epic?

easy pass.

thanks anyway.

Here are 20 games you passed out on, out of the 300 I have collected for free with epic over 2 years.

y9jz9012lfiq.png

I would rather not be part of a company that tries to push third party exclusives.

Did you know that Microsoft acquired Zenimax? And now, all those Bethesda exclusives, including Starfield, will be under Microsoft's umbrella.

I personally love playing those single-player games without any cost... it's like a free lunch!
    Immersive Quests Addon
    Wish to Quest without Quest Way Markers? ''Talk to the Hooded Figure'' Turns into ''Talk to the Hooded Figure, who is feeding the chickens near the southeastern gate in the city of Daggerfall in Glenumbra.'' If you Wish To write bread crumbs clues for quest for other players to experience come join the team!
    List of Immersion Addons
  • Ragnarok0130
    Ragnarok0130
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I wonder if this is a prelude to ESO finally going full F2P. I can't believe they make much off sales of the base game anymore.

I’ts not about making money from the base game any longer which is why it’s frequently $5 on steam sales. It’s about driving new players to the the MTXs in the Crown Store as well as selling expansion packs and most importantly the subscription because corporate finance love predictable recurring revenue streams.
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    SgtWinnie wrote: »
    I have 62 accts atm

What are you doing with...

How many guild members are needed to have a guild store? Maybe they have a personal build with a kiosk?
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    h9dlb wrote: »

Why would you want to want to link the account to Epic? What would the benefit be?
  • Wow
    Wow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I appreciate ZoS for allowing people to continue with their pre existing account on their new store. Unlike GW2 that was released on Steam last year, they were so lazy and just slap this and be done with it
    **Please note that existing Guild Wars 2 player accounts cannot be accessed via Steam

At this point who the hell don't have GW2 accounts already, the games been out for decade and people who took interest in it probably already had one.
    I'm a Godot Engine and GameMaker enthusiast from the most populated island on earth, Java, Indonesia. Coffee is my staple fuel, and durian is my favourite fruit. I'm currently building a Godot Community site.