Quest Status Bug

• Galiferno
    Galiferno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep, my main is now essentially unusable for questing. Zones where I've never quested are being put into weird quest stages. I went to Vivec to do my writs and the sky was covered in ash, Red Mountain was erupting, and all I could hear was yelling in the background. Obviously quest related, but I've never gotten to that point in the storyline, but now the the game thinks I have.
    Options
  • LadyskaQC
    LadyskaQC
    ✭✭
    When Necrom came out. I had advanced very far in the main quest and today I want to continue but I notice that my quests are no longer there. I used the tracking zone to get to the main quest he was telling me but no NPC. It's really annoying.

crr07ek3bo1f.png
    g2gyglkakzg5.png
    woprjhyev73w.png

Options
  • tomofhyrule
    tomofhyrule
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I find it... mildly concerning that this thread is on its fifth page (while the other threads in this forum mostly have just one or two), and yet we still haven't gotten any word from a developer. I understand that the ESO Tavern is happening right now, but this is also a bug that people have been affected by for the past month, and we seem to find more affected players every day.

All we know is that some players who have put in support tickets have gotten tickets returned with some form of 'the developers know it's an issue' and the tickets were left without any more details. We don't know if this fix is even a priority, we don't know if there's a timeframe to have a fix, we don't even know if our characters will be useable again...

Again, this is something that is stopping players from progressing quests all over Tamriel, including in the new zone. Any affected players who purchased Necrom (which is not on ESO+) are literally not able to do the story quests in that zone because of this bug. Quest progress is broken because of the game state mismatch. This is quite literally a gamebreaking bug, and it almost feels like nobody cares about it.
    Options
  • Poss
    Poss
    ✭✭✭✭
    I find it... mildly concerning that this thread is on its fifth page (while the other threads in this forum mostly have just one or two), and yet we still haven't gotten any word from a developer.

Lol I noticed players of a Blackreach server somewhere (aka the dead server) weren't accumulating AP. The issue was addressed pronto.

This bug is huge and will potentially push players new and old away from the game because they simply cannot progress. Nothing.

Yeh the players in Blackreach were no doubt getting annoyed but we’ve paid for Necrom and cannot play it
    Options
  • element0032
    element0032
    Soul Shriven
    Adding on that one of the replies to a ticket I submitted included a link to this page:
    https://help.elderscrollsonline.com/#en/answer/60785
    Not much information but I guess they're aware of the issue and it "will be resolved in a future update". Would like some developer acknowledgement in this thread though about what resolving it means for our character progress.
    Also confirming that I've done the kill 20 archanists quest and am affected by the bug.
    Options
  • Poss
    Poss
    ✭✭✭✭
    Think we’ve established they’re aware but a timeframe would be nice. I cannot progress in PvE because of this and PvP (aka the only thing left for me to do) is laggy as heck on the Xbox EU server so I can’t play that either. If we have to wait until the new patch in September, I’m done
    Options
  • WarCriminaI
    WarCriminaI
    Soul Shriven
    +1 on this issue. I made this forum account specifically to report this bug, but you guys are also suffering! Here’s a Reddit thread I made a few days ago. Same thing. https://www.reddit.com/r/elderscrollsonline/comments/1502zfy/pcna_bug_zone_progress_getting_deleted/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=ioscss&utm_content=2&utm_term=1
    Options
  • RevJJ
    RevJJ
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find myself logging in and wondering what to do since I don’t know if the game will track any new progress I make or if I will come to a point where I can’t progress. So I log off and play something else instead 🤷🏻‍♂️.
    Options
  • Sagranax
    Sagranax
    ✭✭✭
    No worries guys. It's clear ZOS is trying to sweep this under the carpet but will re-introduce this in due time as an 'hot new feature'.

What a mess....

Options
  • Galiferno
    Galiferno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hoped to see something in the PTS notes but still no acknowledgement of this.
    Options
  • tomofhyrule
    tomofhyrule
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Galiferno wrote: »
    Hoped to see something in the PTS notes but still no acknowledgement of this.

tbh I'd rather it not show up in PTS notes because I don't think "We have the fix, but y'all need to wait until the end of August to get your characters unbugged and start questing again" is fun for something like this. I'd like it to show up in an incremental the second they can get it to us rather than sitting on it for another month.

...but I will admit it would be nice to have a timeline by now. Or at least any communication beyond someone bringing their response from the support team in here.

I mean, as irritating to some people as it was, there were almost weekly updates on the status of Crown Crate gifting - even 'hey, no news yet' - despite that not at all impacting gameplay. Meanwhile here we've got people who did spend the money to buy Necrom and can't play it because their quest state is not allowing them to proceed, and we've got nothing...
    Options
  • emilyhyoyeon
    emilyhyoyeon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It's actually baffling to me how ZOS knows the questing/casual aspects of this game are the most popular exponentially, but they haven't acknowledged this bug.

Please, any bit of info on a time frame for a fix
    IGN @ emilypumpkin
    Zirasia Firemaker, imperial fire mage & sunbather _ Deebaba Soul-Weaver, argonian ghostminder & soul gem collector
    Tullanisse Starborne, altmer battlemage & ayleid researcher _ Qa'Rirra, khajiit assassin & dancer
    Options
  • OtarTheMad
    OtarTheMad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I logged on to do Galen/Firesong and noticed my Map Completion says I have done a lot of the story quests in that zone when I've done none. Also, quest indicators are gone too. I ran into Hierot Birian in Galen and he had nothing above his head, unluckily I talked to him and grabbed a side quest.

I guess I can't finish Firesong or check if I finished all of Necrom.
    Options
  • TemplarHealz
    TemplarHealz
    ✭✭✭
    This has happened to me as well. I noticed some funny business due to my completion add-on's being off. I started to track down quests, and check my journal and achievements. My zone guide is telling me items are not completed that I've completed before.

I ran to a few of the markers to see if I could restart, but the NPC's are not available.

I also noticed that there are quest markers above NPC's with quests, but I cannot actually pick-up the quest. For example, a dungeon quest had a marker, but I was unable to accept the quest. I've completed this quest before.

When I check my DLC tab in my quest log, it shows that I can pick-up the DLC quest starter, but it will not actually give me the quest. I've also completed this quest before, but it's showing as available.

This is kind of a huge problem for those who are tracking their in-game progress. My character is pretty un-playable with the inability to track quest progress, or pick-up new quests. Looking for a solution...

Options
  • BetoPro
    BetoPro
    Soul Shriven
    Please, some staff or dev give us an answer.

I play this game mostly for the quests.
    Options
  • Colue
    Colue
    well it hit again with another quest in south elsweyr and nothing the same old message from the support team you would think that a game that does maintenance and has an active dev team would not be this lazy, and talk to us and fix the issue already bc this is making me want to find a different game.
    Options
  • dark_nick
    dark_nick
    don't know because of this bug, but today my endeavor daily continue to reset............i did all, and after few minutes they reset to zero, but endeavor points gained stay.
    Options
  • Djennku
    Djennku
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    dark_nick wrote: »
    don't know because of this bug, but today my endeavor daily continue to reset............i did all, and after few minutes they reset to zero, but endeavor points gained stay.

What time did you turn in your endeavors?
    It might have been at reset if it was around 3am PST/6am EST
    @Djennku, PCNA.

Grand Master crafter, all styles and all furnishing plans known pre U41.
    Vamp and WW bites available for players.
    Shoot me an in-game mail if you need anything, happy to help!
    Options
  • dark_nick
    dark_nick
    i did achievement in the morning as usual, in the afternoon i realize that daily ones were deleted, i check status endevour number, it was ok.
    then i realized that after changing some gamezones they continue to reset endlessly.....after 3-4 times got bored and quit.
    today i will check again
    Options
  • Poss
    Poss
    ✭✭✭✭
    I received a random update from support today telling me they’re close to finding a fix and that they hope to have the issue resolved in a future update.

Little bit annoyed by this reply. This fix should be a priority as a lot of us have had our progression halted completely and cannot start playing Necrom (which we’ve payed for). Instead, I’m only seeing dev updates on the crown gifting situation that they’re trying to push out
    Options
  • tomofhyrule
    tomofhyrule
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Poss wrote: »
    I received a random update from support today telling me they’re close to finding a fix and that they hope to have the issue resolved in a future update.

Little bit annoyed by this reply. This fix should be a priority as a lot of us have had our progression halted completely and cannot start playing Necrom (which we’ve payed for). Instead, I’m only seeing dev updates on the crown gifting situation that they’re trying to push out

That's nice to know, at least. Pity the only way we all find out about it is by individual people bringing their support tickets in here and relaying the messages.

@ZOS_Kevin , we are once again asking if you or someone on the team can just stop by and offer us any reassurance, maybe even give us an idea of when we'll get a fix or what activities to tell our friends to avoid so they don't hit the bug. As we've said, any affected characters are basically locked out of doing any questing whatsoever, which means that we are not able to fully enjoy the new Chapter. It's frustrating that we still know nothing about any potential fix, and it feels like this is not seen as a priority for the team.

Please understand, many of us love this game, but spending $40+ and not being able to do the main quest of the zone is likely to leave a bad taste in many players' mouths.
    Options
  • loosej
    loosej
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's been almost a month since the first post in this discussion. I've got this feeling that the people at ZoS still have no idea what the problem is and if/how/when it will be fixed, and that they'd rather pretend it doesn't exist to avoid bad pr.
    Options
  • emilyhyoyeon
    emilyhyoyeon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Poss wrote: »

@ZOS_Kevin , we are once again asking if you or someone on the team can just stop by and offer us any reassurance, maybe even give us an idea of when we'll get a fix or what activities to tell our friends to avoid so they don't hit the bug. As we've said, any affected characters are basically locked out of doing any questing whatsoever, which means that we are not able to fully enjoy the new Chapter. It's frustrating that we still know nothing about any potential fix, and it feels like this is not seen as a priority for the team.

Please understand, many of us love this game, but spending $40+ and not being able to do the main quest of the zone is likely to leave a bad taste in many players' mouths.

Completely agree here. I'm someone else who basically can't do anything in the new chapter besides antiquities. Really frustrating.
    IGN @ emilypumpkin
    Zirasia Firemaker, imperial fire mage & sunbather _ Deebaba Soul-Weaver, argonian ghostminder & soul gem collector
    Tullanisse Starborne, altmer battlemage & ayleid researcher _ Qa'Rirra, khajiit assassin & dancer
    Options
  • WalkingBomb
    WalkingBomb
    ✭✭
    This should be a priority, this bug impairs my enjoyment of the game significantly. Anything else seems rather minor in comparison.
    Options
  • OtarTheMad
    OtarTheMad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Why is this being ignored? I logged in today to do some Dark Brotherhood stuff and I can't because the door says I am not part of the guild and won't let me in. So... guess I am just going to play something else today instead.

ZOS FIX YOUR F'N GAME!
    Options
  • ZOS_Kevin
    ZOS_Kevin
    Community Manager
    Hi all. We just checked in with the team and they are investigation this issue. Once we have more concrete fix to share or need additional info, we'll update the thread. The dev team has this thread and has been going through it as part of the investigation, so if you have any additional information you would like to add, please feel free.
    Community Manager for ZeniMax Online Studio and Elder Scrolls OnlineDev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter
    Options
    Staff Post
  • Gendizer
    Gendizer
    ✭✭✭
    I think the developers don't have time to fix bugs because they are busy with a more important task - ruining the game for people playing on heavy-attack builds.
    Options
  • Drakho
    Drakho
    Soul Shriven
    Hi, I am suffering this problem too. It may had been the kill 20 arcanists (alto, I am not 100% sure it started just after I handle in the quest).
    I hope they fix it soon as it is game breaking.
    Thanks.
    Options
  • acastanza_ESO
    acastanza_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ZOS_Kevin wrote: »
    Hi all. We just checked in with the team and they are investigation this issue. Once we have more concrete fix to share or need additional info, we'll update the thread. The dev team has this thread and has been going through it as part of the investigation, so if you have any additional information you would like to add, please feel free.

I just wanted to say that the team really, really, needs to prioritize getting a fix for this out before the "Secrets of the Telvanni" event runs or there are going to be some significant complaints.
    Options
  • tomofhyrule
    tomofhyrule
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_Kevin , thank you for responding.

Please pass this along to the team: I have tested it and The Kill 20 Arcanists quest from the Cyrodiil bounty board is confirmed as a cause.

Test scenario: My PTS character (copied last Saturday) had 6/20 Arcanists. I got a friend to meet me in Cyrodiil and I killed him repeatedly to rank up that quest.
    Initial state:
    nwzij91syxxr.png
    lkd9xqvhiccc.png
    After every kill, I checked the zone guide for the Telvanni Peninsula. Each time, it showed at 0/9 quests.

Once I got all 20 of my kills, I went back to turn in the quest.
    vhr45b0fjqp3.png
    My Telvanni Peninsula still looked correct, with 0/9 quests done.

...and then I left Cyrodiil.
    k0tsznigz7mj.png

So the trigger to bug the game is confirmed to be turning in the 'Kill 20 Arcanists' quest and then leaving Cyrodiil.

I will note that my character here still does not have the 100 Arcanists achievement yet, so that is not the case. It may be that the bug is set once the quest is turned in and then changing zone, but I was only able to test this the one time (there is a Bounty board in the IC sewers that also offers this quest, so presumably turning it in there and leaving the sewers may also but the game as well.

I do not think it matters how you leave Cyrodiil. My personal habit is to Wayshrine to Bleakrock and then port from Bleakrock's wayshrine to wherever I need to go. In this specific test, I noticed Bleakrock was still complete when I proted out, but as soon as I opened the wayshrine menu outside of Cyrodiil, I noticed that Bleakrock's quest states were bugged.

Note that I can't say that this quest is the exclusive cause as some other quests may also trigger it. However, I can confirm that this particular quest was the thing that bugged my game specifically, and my test conditions allowed me to single out that quest specifically and get this information.
    Edited by tomofhyrule on July 20, 2023 1:00AM
    Options