The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Heads up, if you want that Argonian companion....

BlueRaven
BlueRaven
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
... be prepared to go deep into a public dungeon in Necrom. Really deep. The quest for him takes you into one.

This will be ok for my main, but for my new low level Arcanist alts it may be awhile before I can acquire him. ./sigh

Just get yourself mentally prepared, it's a bit of a slog.
Edited by ZOS_Icy on April 18, 2023 1:41PM
  • Hapexamendios
    Hapexamendios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just call me Mr. Slog
    Options
  • rpa
    rpa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Without knowing any details, I'd guess you can bring help with you to a public dungeon unless the quest has those pesky solo instances.
    Edited by rpa on April 18, 2023 4:29AM
    Options
  • chessalavakia_ESO
    chessalavakia_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did the quest for the companion on a new arcanist alt at around level 10 with just a few pieces of green gear and no CP points spent.

It's not pretty but, it is doable.

(The other parts of the dungeon were hard enough I elected to leave instead of doing them.)
    Options
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    rpa wrote: »
    Without knowing any details, I'd guess you can bring help with you to a public dungeon unless the quest has those pesky solo instances.

Tbh I just wanted to get the companion quick to goof around with him for a bit, to see his abilities (etc).. But when I got to the public dungeon , which is large and the quest requires us to go to the exact opposite side of the dungeon, I stopped for the evening.

•••

I have been running into this a lot on the pts. The quests seem to be a bit too much. A daily that requires a premade group. And now a companion quest that involves a public dungeon.

This chapter feels weird. I can’t quite put my finger on it, but it’s just not that enjoyable so far. It’s not the story, what little if it I have done seems fine. It’s the mechanics of the chapter. And even the new furniture I find is not that interesting.

The Arcanist seems fun, but for the chapter itself, I am having my doubts.
    Options
  • rpa
    rpa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Then create fully levelled template char to test things. It's PTS you do not have to level and grind gear for a test char.
    Options
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Then create fully levelled template char to test things. It's PTS you do not have to level and grind gear for a test char.

I am on my main, I have fully golded gear. I can do a public dungeon solo.

But I have a friend who loves companions and is not very good at dps. They will not be able to get this companion on their own. I assume many people are like this. Hence the heads up.
    Edited by BlueRaven on April 18, 2023 4:52AM
    Options
  • Snamyap
    Snamyap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    BlueRaven wrote: »

But I have a friend who loves companions and is not very good at dps. They will not be able to get this companion on their own. I assume many people are like this. Hence the heads up.

I wouldn't worry, it will probably be swamped with players on release all there for the companion.
    Options
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Snamyap wrote: »

I wouldn't worry, it will probably be swamped with players on release all there for the companion.

Yeah, but still it’s such a marked change from the earlier companion quests. Like the rest of the chapter, it just makes me ask why they made these design decisions.

I dunno, that is just my personal feelings. I can’t say they are universally felt. Maybe it’s because I am not really enjoying the other parts of the chapter or something.
    Options
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well the first days after release it will be more players than mob in that public dungeon anyway.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
    Options
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So you're saying something to do with overworld gameplay is difficult for once?
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
    Options
  • FeedbackOnly
    FeedbackOnly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Just go on launch day. There will be plenty of people inside killing for you 👀
    Options
  • Damien2424
    Damien2424
    ✭✭
    ZOS creates easy overland content -> players deem it as bad -> forums flooded with complaining comments
    ZOS creates semi-hard overland content -> players deem it as bad -> forums flooded with complaining comments

Y'all are impossible to please.
    Options
  • Caligamy_ESO
    Caligamy_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I did this tonight on a brand spankin new Archanist at around lvl 6 with the adventurer junk gear the tutorial gives you.. (which was literally just a pair of training pants and a staff.) It wasn't that difficult.. and another player showed up halfway through, then it was smooth sailing for us the rest of the way through as we laser beamed everything on our way to the quest marker.

Also solod one of the Herald's Seekers out roaming the Telvanni map at around lvl 26 and got a lead for a Telvanni window, now THAT was tough I'll admit. I loved every bit of it though.
    Edited by Caligamy_ESO on April 18, 2023 9:44AM
    love is love
    Options
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the info--how would you say in compares to Isobel's quest? More or less of a slog?
    Options
  • Caligamy_ESO
    Caligamy_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Jaimeh wrote: »
    Thanks for the info--how would you say in compares to Isobel's quest? More or less of a slog?

Less back and forth... and back and forth... and back and forth... :(

Seemed pretty straight forward, some convo in town, go to the pub dungeon, didn't even have to fully explore the dungeon because you just take a left and your halfway there. No bosses were required until you get to the actual quest npc at the end which is in its own little instance so I imagine most people could just sprint and dodge roll their way there.

I took my time with it though and actually did it on 3 different characters, one was lvl 6, one was the CP template, and another at the Lv 25 template.
    love is love
    Options
  • LunaFlora
    LunaFlora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Damien2424 wrote: »
    ZOS creates easy overland content -> players deem it as bad -> forums flooded with complaining comments
    ZOS creates semi-hard overland content -> players deem it as bad -> forums flooded with complaining comments

i dont think you're actually talking about the same people.

i like how overland content currently is, don't need harder difficulty, and whilst i like doing public dungeons too can easily see how this makes it harder for new players or people on new characters to get Sharp in a public dungeon instead of another area.

people who see this as a bad decision are likely not the same people who want harder overland content. seems pretty weird to see them as the same people
    miaow! i'm Luna ( she/her ).

🌸*throws cherry blossom on you*🌸
    "Eagles advance, traveler! And may the Green watch and keep you."
    🦬🦌🐰
    PlayStation and PC EU.
    LunaLolaBlossom on psn.
    LunaFloraBlossom on pc.
    Options
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So the question then is... is he WORTH the slog to get him? Does he offer something new or advantageous over Isobel or the others?
    CP: 1965 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
    Options
  • Damien2424
    Damien2424
    ✭✭
    LunaFlora wrote: »

i dont think you're actually talking about the same people.

i like how overland content currently is, don't need harder difficulty, and whilst i like doing public dungeons too can easily see how this makes it harder for new players or people on new characters to get Sharp in a public dungeon instead of another area.

people who see this as a bad decision are likely not the same people who want harder overland content. seems pretty weird to see them as the same people

I never said that they are the same people, it's ZOS' point of view where they can implement literally anything and somebody will whine over it. They can't please everyone at once.
    As people already pointed out you can just sprint and roll dodge your way into the last instance where the enemy is scaled to your level. If you can't reach that point, sorry, but it's an issue on your end, not on the developers side. It's an MMO, change your style of play, go be a vampire, get the companion and cure yourself, respec to stamina, etc.
    And before you think I am against accesibility, I am a solo player who never achieved more than 30k dps so I do contents I am capable of doing. There is a LOT of it.
    Options
  • LunaFlora
    LunaFlora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    ADarklore wrote: »
    So the question then is... is he WORTH the slog to get him? Does he offer something new or advantageous over Isobel or the others?

Sharp's bonus is useful for fishing.

Sharp provides “Sharp’s Patience” which offers an improved chance at finding trophy fish and slightly reducing reel time.

here you can read the patch notes too
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/631584/pts-patch-notes-v9-0-0#latest

🦬🦌🐰
    PlayStation and PC EU.
    LunaLolaBlossom on psn.
    LunaFloraBlossom on pc.
    Options
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Sharp provides “Sharp’s Patience” which offers an improved chance at finding trophy fish and slightly reducing reel time.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/631584/pts-patch-notes-v9-0-0#latest

Read them... I was wondering more about his FIGHTING skills... whether he offers anything more useful than the other companions. I don't fish, so this bonus would be useless to me.
    CP: 1965 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
    Options
  • LunaFlora
    LunaFlora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Read them... I was wondering more about his FIGHTING skills... whether he offers anything more useful than the other companions. I don't fish, so this bonus would be useless to me.

you didnt specify fighting skills. he has warden skills but i havent found a full list of his skills so i have no clue what exactly he has
    Edited by LunaFlora on April 18, 2023 11:37AM

🦬🦌🐰
    PlayStation and PC EU.
    LunaLolaBlossom on psn.
    LunaFloraBlossom on pc.
    Options
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

For me the issue I have with this is perspective. This is a quest for a companion, not a mythic lead or a mount or something. This is for a companion.

I always felt companions were aimed at the solo, average player. The kind of person who does not do group content. Seems a bit odd to have the quest take the player into a place like a public dungeon and not a delve.
    Options
  • Caligamy_ESO
    Caligamy_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Sadly... it doesn't feel like it, he lasts about as long as a wet paper bag in decent gear compared to Isobel. He casts things like fetcherflies for minor vuln, has the cliffracer, and shalks, and a brief kagouti summon ultimate. But it doesn't help a whole lot when I turn around for 2 seconds and he's lying down.

I really loved his story, voice actor, and character design overall though.
    love is love
    Options
  • Damien2424
    Damien2424
    ✭✭

For me the issue I have with this is perspective. This is a quest for a companion, not a mythic lead or a mount or something. This is for a companion.

I always felt companions were aimed at the solo, average player. The kind of person who does not do group content. Seems a bit odd to have the quest take the player into a place like a public dungeon and not a delve.

How does that limit the solo, average player? Just dodge the bosses, you don't have to engage with them in any way to get the companion. You have to enter a public dungeon instead of a delve and that's it.
    If it would be tied to completing the new trial I would agree, but in this shape and form it's fuming over nothing.
    Options
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

How does that limit the solo, average player? Just dodge the bosses, you don't have to engage with them in any way to get the companion. You have to enter a public dungeon instead of a delve and that's it.
    If it would be tied to completing the new trial I would agree, but in this shape and form it's fuming over nothing.

Look for me the character I would like to pair him with is a vampire assassin nightblade. I can probably run through that whole place, from start to finish, and not aggro one mob.

My main has all gold gear so I am not worried about them either.

But I am not really thinking about myself here. I am thinking about that new level 10ish, no cp player, or like my friend players who is so casual they shy away from anything remotely group content-like.

Again this is for a companion, not something needed for a trial.
    Options
  • SpacemanSpiff1
    SpacemanSpiff1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Look for me the character I would like to pair him with is a vampire assassin nightblade. I can probably run through that whole place, from start to finish, and not aggro one mob.

My main has all gold gear so I am not worried about them either.

But I am not really thinking about myself here. I am thinking about that new level 10ish, no cp player, or like my friend players who is so casual they shy away from anything remotely group content-like.

Again this is for a companion, not something needed for a trial.

it's a good thing there's other companions available.
    Options
  • Damien2424
    Damien2424
    ✭✭
    If they really want that companion they will not shy away form RUNNING. They have to hold down one extra button which they usually hold down while traveling from one place to another. They do not have to participate in any group content other than the one which they are already doing is, which is seeing other players passing by.

On the other hand I found that delves are more populated than public dungeons, are they shying away from delves too?
    Edited by Damien2424 on April 18, 2023 12:35PM
    Options
  • Stanx
    Stanx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The public dungeon will be swarming with other players, running that specific quest. If you can't handle the mob packs then just wait (probably no more than a minute close to launch) and someone will clear the way for you. Plus you can grab a skill point and a skyshard for your low level character while you're there. Failing that, just ask for a group in zone / guild chat.

Unless the quest requires fighting a public dungeon boss (does it? I'm on console so no access to PTS) then a low level player should be able to clear a public dungeon quite easily.
    Options
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If they really want that companion they will not shy away form RUNNING. They have to hold down one extra button which they usually hold down while traveling from one place to another. They do not have to participate in any group content other than the one which they are already doing is, which is seeing other players passing by.

On the other hand I found that delves are more populated than public dungeons, are they shying away from delves too?

I don’t follow them around all day. I assume they do.

And I suppose everyone can just corpse run it to be technical.

The point is I saw companions as ultra casual content. Easy-overland questing aimed at literally everyone in the game. With the point of the companion being an aid for people to do things like public dungeons.
    So it’s a bit weird to me that they have the quest to get one be inside an actual public dungeon.

And just to repeat. I am personally not afraid of this public dungeon, although personally I probably won’t get this companion on all of my characters. It’s feels a bit too much work for something this trivial.
    Options
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stanx wrote: »
    The public dungeon will be swarming with other players, running that specific quest. If you can't handle the mob packs then just wait (probably no more than a minute close to launch) and someone will clear the way for you. Plus you can grab a skill point and a skyshard for your low level character while you're there. Failing that, just ask for a group in zone / guild chat.

Unless the quest requires fighting a public dungeon boss (does it? I'm on console so no access to PTS) then a low level player should be able to clear a public dungeon quite easily.

Right but what about a month from after launch? Six months?
    Edited by BlueRaven on April 18, 2023 1:21PM
    Options