The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

U37 Templar

ketsparrowhawk
ketsparrowhawk
✭✭✭✭✭
Hello!

StamPlar main here.

Templar has become defined by The Beam. Their identity is only The Beam. Currently, the most popular Templar play style I see consists of spamming javelins and Beams on low- (or even full-) health targets from far away, then Mist Forming away after receiving a light-attack.

Even against full-health targets The Beam hits as hard as a normal spammable, and it's cheap enough to spam. There is little incentive to use any other offensive ability. The former gleaming champions of the battlefield have become annoying pests.. lurking on the edges of the fight trying to steal kills they didn't earn.

The change to Bloodthirsty will further incentivize this play style.

Before U35 The Beam was already VERY STRONG. But Jabs was also very strong. So strong that most Templars didn't feel the need to slot an execute ability. Now not only has Jabs been nerfed, but also Backlash, Burning Light, Empower.. so we don't really have much else outside of The Beam now. I've removed it from my bar because it forces such one-dimensional gameplay. I end up not even engaging with the rest of my offensive kit at all because it's not nearly as effective as JUST spamming The Beam. Removing it forces me to at least try to line up a combo.

Here is what I would love to see for Templar:
  • Revert the U35 buff to The Beam. Redistribute that power to the rest of the offensive kit. Backlash would be a great place to start. It would also be nice if Jabs at least hit as hard as Rapid Strikes.
  • Increase the damage of Solar Barrage or give it a different, PvP-relevant secondary effect.
  • Give in-class access to root/snare immunity. Adding it to Cleansing Ritual would be an elegant solution imo.

Thanks!
  • mmtaniac
    mmtaniac
    ✭✭✭✭
    Templar is not Templar anymore right now it's one skill class. With optional abilities.
  • TechMaybeHic
    TechMaybeHic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think beam hits as hard as other spammables in full health target. My tooltip for mine is 1500 more damage than my sum total of jabs when both fully buffed; but that's over 1.8 seconds vs .8 seconds. And that doesn't start to scale until they are at 50% but does scale rapidly.

Backlash and it's morphs are in bad shape though. I think battle spirit is double dipping on it, and as long as Maras is around; it's still would be prone to be worthless as there's a good chance that purge EVERYTHING will line up with your POTL getting removed all the while Maras Balm is mitigating 1.5k of your jabs damage about every set.

I honestly don't see a way forward as long as one very popular set is such a big counter to both templar spammables and burst even if the burst ability is fixed
  • ketsparrowhawk
    ketsparrowhawk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think beam hits as hard as other spammables in full health target. My tooltip for mine is 1500 more damage than my sum total of jabs when both fully buffed; but that's over 1.8 seconds vs .8 seconds. And that doesn't start to scale until they are at 50% but does scale rapidly.

Backlash and it's morphs are in bad shape though. I think battle spirit is double dipping on it, and as long as Maras is around; it's still would be prone to be worthless as there's a good chance that purge EVERYTHING will line up with your POTL getting removed all the while Maras Balm is mitigating 1.5k of your jabs damage about every set.

I honestly don't see a way forward as long as one very popular set is such a big counter to both templar spammables and burst even if the burst ability is fixed

My beam's tooltip is 18k. Over 1.8 seconds that's 10k dps, which is comparable to most instant-cast spammables (force pulse, elemental weapon, etc).
  • TechMaybeHic
    TechMaybeHic
    ✭✭✭✭✭

My beam's tooltip is 18k. Over 1.8 seconds that's 10k dps, which is comparable to most instant-cast spammables (force pulse, elemental weapon, etc).

Ok...but in comparison to jabs, even for all it's shortcomings; still better. Concealed weapon? Dizzy swing?

I guess you are looking at ranged spammables so in that case; yes. Numbers match up but those have status effects. Destro abilities have more penetration. One of the elemental weapons has major breach. It's just not cut and dry, and I don't think addressing it's place in there will help being a templar as much as just address where it is as a ranged class
  • ketsparrowhawk
    ketsparrowhawk
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Ok...but in comparison to jabs, even for all it's shortcomings; still better. Concealed weapon? Dizzy swing?

I guess you are looking at ranged spammables so in that case; yes. Numbers match up but those have status effects. Destro abilities have more penetration. One of the elemental weapons has major breach. It's just not cut and dry, and I don't think addressing it's place in there will help being a templar as much as just address where it is as a ranged class

The beam has secondary effects too. It is NOT dodgeable and it has a 500% execute multiplier starting at 50% hp. It hits harder than an ultimate.

If jabs were better then that's what Templars would be spamming. But they're not. They're spamming the beam and almost nothing else. Q for a BG and see for yourself.
  • Syiccal
    Syiccal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let's not forget jabs will be taking yet another nerf in u37 as nearly everyone that currently uses race against time I imagine will start using the new mist and gain Major evasion.
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The beam has secondary effects too. It is NOT dodgeable and it has a 500% execute multiplier starting at 50% hp. It hits harder than an ultimate.

If jabs were better then that's what Templars would be spamming. But they're not. They're spamming the beam and almost nothing else. Q for a BG and see for yourself.

Even some real quick testing shows me that weaving anything else at 100% health is more effective than weaving with Radiant spam. You do after all get an extra LA with every attack.

Weaving with RD got me around 10k on a dummy, weaving with Jabs 20k, weaving with Force Pulse 14k, heck even weaving with Vamps bane got 13k.

People love spamming RD because it is so easy and requires no thought (and looks cool). It isn't actually that effective at 100% health though.
  • ketsparrowhawk
    ketsparrowhawk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    danno8 wrote: »

Even some real quick testing shows me that weaving anything else at 100% health is more effective than weaving with Radiant spam. You do after all get an extra LA with every attack.

Weaving with RD got me around 10k on a dummy, weaving with Jabs 20k, weaving with Force Pulse 14k, heck even weaving with Vamps bane got 13k.

People love spamming RD because it is so easy and requires no thought (and looks cool). It isn't actually that effective at 100% health though.

It's effective enough that it's all the vast majority of Templars do these days. Like you said it's easy so that's what they do. It shouldn't be worth casting until the target is in execute range. Like all the other execute abilities.

Target dummy testing is a far cry from real application. If those other spammables got better results then that's what Templars would be using. But for the most part they're just not. They're using the Beam
    Edited by ketsparrowhawk on February 4, 2023 6:04PM
  • The_Titan_Tim
    The_Titan_Tim
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm saying that it's effective enough that it's all the vast majority of Templars do these days. Like you said it's easy so that's what they do. It shouldn't be worth casting until the target is in execute range. Like all the other executes abilities.

Target dummy testing is a far cry from real application. If those other spammables got better results then that's what Templars would be using. But for the most part they're just not. They're using the Beam

I’m one of the last Stamplar, and I use Dizzying Swing or Lethal Injection + Crushing Weapon animation canceling now instead of Biting Jabs, as Jabs do next to nothing against other players, and I find a million times better results than I would if I were to spam Radiant Glory. I do love being able to use it now instead of Executioner, but I don’t see where you’re coming from.

If you were playing Magicka, I would get the complaints about Sweeps but that’s more derivative from the fact that there isn’t a worthwhile ranged spammable in the game right now outside of Draugrkin Crushing Shock, the ability just hits to weak for a single-target and Dark Flare doesn’t hit anywhere near as hard as it needs to in order to break through the massive health bars we all have.

While Biting Jabs can’t hit as hard as Rapid Strikes because of the fact that Rapid Strikes are single target while Biting Jabs are AoE; and I have come to terms with that.

When scaling abilities you have to factor in every aspect of them, is it single target? Is it an interruptible channel? While the people I see complaining the ability loudest are players that don’t run a burst heal, a hard counter to any execute, including Radiant; with a simple block-cast, as every class has a better one than Templar.
  • ketsparrowhawk
    ketsparrowhawk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Okay I am very sorry to have compared the beam to a spammable as that has derailed the conversation. Whether or not it has the exact same power potential as other spammables is aside from the fact that it IS what most templars spam most of the time.

Regardless, too much of the class's power budget is contained within the beam leaving the rest of the kit lacking.
    Edited by ketsparrowhawk on February 4, 2023 6:21PM
  • Syiccal
    Syiccal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Okay I am very sorry to have compared the beam to a spammable as that has derailed the conversation. Whether or not it has the exact same power potential as other spammables is aside from the fact that it IS what most templars spam most of the time.

Regardless, too much of the class's power budget is contained within the beam leaving the rest of the kit lacking.

I agree that I'd be happy to see beam take a power cut for jabs, or PoL or even some new iteration of a skill that actually gives some burst potential.
  • The_Titan_Tim
    The_Titan_Tim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Syiccal wrote: »

I agree that I'd be happy to see beam take a power cut for jabs, or PoL or even some new iteration of a skill that actually gives some burst potential.

Or, here’s a revolutionary idea, we could just buff Power of the Light and other single target executes to the same scale, giving Executioner and Assassin’s Blade the same % as nerfing one of the only counters to Undeath is asinine.

Executes need to insure kills and people survive my Radiant whenever they are paying attention to me already, lessening the damage just makes it that much easier.
    Edited by The_Titan_Tim on February 4, 2023 6:38PM
  • ketsparrowhawk
    ketsparrowhawk
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm saying that it's effective enough that it's all the vast majority of Templars do these days. Like you said it's easy so that's what they do. It shouldn't be worth casting until the target is in execute range. Like all the other executes abilities.

I’m one of the last Stamplar, and I use Dizzying Swing or Lethal Injection + Crushing Weapon animation canceling now instead of Biting Jabs, as Jabs do next to nothing against other players, and I find a million times better results than I would if I were to spam Radiant Glory. I do love being able to use it now instead of Executioner, but I don’t see where you’re coming from.

If you were playing Magicka, I would get the complaints about Sweeps but that’s more derivative from the fact that there isn’t a worthwhile ranged spammable in the game right now outside of Draugrkin Crushing Shock, the ability just hits to weak for a single-target and Dark Flare doesn’t hit anywhere near as hard as it needs to in order to break through the massive health bars we all have.

While Biting Jabs can’t hit as hard as Rapid Strikes because of the fact that Rapid Strikes are single target while Biting Jabs are AoE; and I have come to terms with that.

When scaling abilities you have to factor in every aspect of them, is it single target? Is it an interruptible channel? While the people I see complaining the ability loudest are players that don’t run a burst heal, a hard counter to any execute, including Radiant; with a simple block-cast, as every class has a better one than Templar.

I'm not complaining about a lack of counters and I'm not saying there aren't more effective ways to deliver damage. I'm just saying that when you enter a BG and look around at the Templars.. they're just pushing one button from a safe distance and getting better results then they should for such low effort. Mind you, as a Templar main they rarely get the better of me. So this isn't from a place of resentment. We used to have a nice well-rounded offensive kit but now many plars don't see a lot of reason to even bother when they can go 18-0 pushing one button.
  • TechMaybeHic
    TechMaybeHic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beam really is irrelevant to the overall point I think. It does not really make it break Templar. Lack of burst does. And right now, even if Backlash is fixed, Maras Balm is a very popular set and it auto-purges backlash before it goes off as you have the snare on them with jab also healing the 1500 every second, minor breach just from physical damage at all even if you use PL morph, probably some sort of major breach or dot or brittle if you're serious about actually doing damage, and the Backlash itself. So I'm saying you are going to hit the 5 negative effects faster than 6 seconds to fill Backlash

The only thing I can think of doing is try to build for pressure and most of it be PBAOE
  • ketsparrowhawk
    ketsparrowhawk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beam really is irrelevant to the overall point I think. It does not really make it break Templar. Lack of burst does. And right now, even if Backlash is fixed, Maras Balm is a very popular set and it auto-purges backlash before it goes off as you have the snare on them with jab also healing the 1500 every second, minor breach just from physical damage at all even if you use PL morph, probably some sort of major breach or dot or brittle if you're serious about actually doing damage, and the Backlash itself. So I'm saying you are going to hit the 5 negative effects faster than 6 seconds to fill Backlash

The only thing I can think of doing is try to build for pressure and most of it be PBAOE

Sustained pressure is the best approach I've found. I stack character-centered AOE's like Solar Barrage, Deadly Cloak, Crescent Ult, & probably Blood Mist next patch. Still using jabs for the spammable. A lot of unavoidable / un-cleansable AOE pressure. Got rid of POTL.. no longer worth slotting imo.
  • Stx
    Stx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yeah… when I think of a class that would have the strongest execute in the game. I would think it should be a warrior, assassin, dark knight.. something like that.

But no, in ESO the best execute belongs to the paladin/holy warrior class Lol, and not only that, but that’s all the class has anymore…
  • Solariken
    Solariken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    If the beam were as strong as you suggest then BGs and Cyro would be overrun with Templars, but they are a minority in a sea of DK/Warden/Nb.

Beam is awesome against monkey rollers but doesn't do as well against undeath block healing, especially those that can get completely out of execute range with one button like DK and Warden.

That being said, the Beam IS the best offensive PvP ability in the Templar kit, and almost all the other offensive abilities are garbage. Nerfing the beam is not necessary, but buffing jabs and PotL is definitely needed.

P.S. nerf Living Dark while you're at it.
  • maxjapank
    maxjapank
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I’m all for buffing Backlash and Jabs, but let’s not diminish Radiant in order to do so. Before Radiant was buffed, you rarely saw it in pvp. It was too weak to use as an execution skill. By the time the first tick went off, most players were healed up..or they were able to outheal the dmg.
  • ketsparrowhawk
    ketsparrowhawk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Solariken wrote: »
    If the beam were as strong as you suggest then BGs and Cyro would be overrun with Templars, but they are a minority in a sea of DK/Warden/Nb.

Beam is awesome against monkey rollers but doesn't do as well against undeath block healing, especially those that can get completely out of execute range with one button like DK and Warden.

That being said, the Beam IS the best offensive PvP ability in the Templar kit, and almost all the other offensive abilities are garbage. Nerfing the beam is not necessary, but buffing jabs and PotL is definitely needed.

P.S. nerf Living Dark while you're at it.

Wasn't trying to suggest that it's too powerful. Only that it's too powerful in relation to the rest of the offensive kit. Which is why when you do see a Templar it seems to be the only ability they have slotted. I only suggest nerfing beam since ZOS's approach seems to be "take from one thing and give to another". If buffing the rest of the kit without nerfing the beam is on the table then great, let's do it. I doubt it is though.
  • ketsparrowhawk
    ketsparrowhawk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    maxjapank wrote: »
    I’m all for buffing Backlash and Jabs, but let’s not diminish Radiant in order to do so. Before Radiant was buffed, you rarely saw it in pvp. It was too weak to use as an execution skill. By the time the first tick went off, most players were healed up..or they were able to outheal the dmg.

It was already way stronger than any other execute before U35. Templars didn't use it because the rest of their offensive kit was so strong they didn't need to waste the bar space. Tbh I don't mind if it keeps the buff. I only suggested it because I assume there is a "power budget" to consider and I would like the rest of the kit to be more powerful.
  • MetallicMonk
    MetallicMonk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Templar's offensive kit needs some help for sure, the damage potential outside of beam is laughable and doesn't exist against any above average caliber of player. That being said na you don't get to keep beam's absolute ape status on top of a buff. The power needs to be shifted slightly outside of the execute into other skills, there are too many beam spammers in cyro already and they don't need to be rewarded for the probably the lowest effort form of gameplay more than they already are.
  • maxjapank
    maxjapank
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    maxjapank wrote: »

It was already way stronger than any other execute before U35. Templars didn't use it because the rest of their offensive kit was so strong they didn't need to waste the bar space. Tbh I don't mind if it keeps the buff. I only suggested it because I assume there is a "power budget" to consider and I would like the rest of the kit to be more powerful.

Not in pvp it wasn’t.
  • TechMaybeHic
    TechMaybeHic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am totally ok with leaving beam in ruin even if it doesn't mean fixing anything else.
    I still don't like using it as someone who generally runs melee templar as the delay from activation to fire is slow and I find it mostly favor having others keep the target in execute range for you Would just rather focus on the fixing other stuff.

I do however; when I get beamed in a large fight while full health, I track the source and I'm coming for it. Kind of a bright guide that says "I'm an easy kill, but your effective health pool is reduced as long as I'm doing this"
  • UnassumingNoob
    UnassumingNoob
    ✭✭✭✭
    Templar execute is divided into 3 ticks over 1.8s. Strong for pve but for pvp… a lot can happen in 1.8s.

You are seeing a lot of beam atm because there is literally nothing else in the Templar kit that can do anything that another class does better.

Nightblade exe is instant and hits harder. In a vacuum JB does a lot of damage. But realistically Templar is in a sorry state
  • MetallicMonk
    MetallicMonk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Templar execute is divided into 3 ticks over 1.8s. Strong for pve but for pvp… a lot can happen in 1.8s.

You are seeing a lot of beam atm because there is literally nothing else in the Templar kit that can do anything that another class does better.

Nightblade exe is instant and hits harder. In a vacuum JB does a lot of damage. But realistically Templar is in a sorry state

I agree templar is in a sorry state and needs help in other areas, maybe even lots of help in some but that doesn't change the fact they have one extremely overperforming ability in PvP.

Nightblade execute just isn't a good comparison you can completely avoid it, killer's blade almost never hits me.
  • mmtaniac
    mmtaniac
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jabs should just ignore mitigations or atleast change how they interact with battle spirit. Spear as historic weapon was good wapon against full plate armor. But spear is eso is worst kind of weapon against armored enemy.
  • Ardriel
    Ardriel
    ✭✭✭✭
    We templars certainly don't need another nerf! :/
  • NeuroticPixels
    NeuroticPixels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wait… I’m a magplar… should I be using/spamming the beam too?
    Check out the ReShade I made: Crispy Sharpness
  • Caribou77
    Caribou77
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree with op that Templar needs a more dynamic array of class tools than just beam.

It demonstrates poor class design when your choices are limited to one class skill or the old 2h Dizzy/Executioner repeat.

Each class needs an effective (not op but effective) class spammable, especially Templar and Magsorc and Necro right now.
  • ketsparrowhawk
    ketsparrowhawk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wait… I’m a magplar… should I be using/spamming the beam too?

Yes. It is by far the single best offensive ability you have access to as a Templar.