Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 7:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 7
• Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 9, 2:00 UTC (October 8, 10:00PM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)

The ability to change your class given the recent AMA information

• darkdruidssb14_ESO
    darkdruidssb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not upset at all, but I think you need to have your facts straight if you want to use TES games to back up how ESO locks customization.
  • Surinen
    Surinen
    ✭✭✭
    I TOTALLY get what you are saying here, because I main a sorcerer too :). I laughed at this so hard because it is so true. Aesthetically there is NO comparison between casting Crystal Fragments and casting Flame Whip, and I get that, I truly do. However, I still believe there is a healthy population of competitive players who would take advantage of a respec system like the one suggested.

Also, I too have wished to have access to the Ardent Flame line at times..... would be very entertaining.
    but of course that there will be a certain, possibly even very noisy amount of players who will abuse it. there are people who walk into garage and walk out with flatmethrow backpack and napalm, ok wrong analogy - - - zzzzzzzuzuzuzuzu
    who walk int...(...) doesn't matter, really. this is why developer should balance it or at least they should make more than 10 excellent abilities, so that they will not fit on two bars. there isn't that much trully competitive player's anyway, small imbalances will be always swallowed. if you can kill in PvP then that is fine. at least I can suffer through imbalances, if it gives me ardent flame or some templar mumbo jumbo then I'm all for it. although, to be honest I'm not arguining strictly in favour of the class change. I'm advocating total class obliteration or an option to borrow 1-2 skill lines from the other classes. it may even be 1 or even 0.5 of it + passives, something that will enhance this game's longevity in my eyes. TES games thrive with their replayability. ESO unlike singleplayer installation, requires to gather items and yadda yadda things that you would not get through command line or mod or anything else, it binds you with your character. at least I loathe idea of alts. I would like to relive my stories with my main hero.

Edited by Surinen on May 2, 2014 9:32PM
  • Sleepydan
    Sleepydan
    ✭✭✭
    Xnemesis wrote: »
    NO NO and NO this encourages FoTM! Maybe a better solution is to have to reach say level ten before you choose the class that is right for you. By level ten you will know what kind of playstyle you would like to have. Re rolling a class just isn't a good idea IMO

I Disagree completely. The fact there are classes to begin with was the bad idea.

What if it was like this. Let's just say.

You get to pick any three (I say three because you currently can access three) class skills you like. If for any reason you change your mind, you can forget one or all of them and pick up any new ones, up to three.

The class skill level for your new selection starts at level one, regardless of the skill level you chose to forget.

Can anybody please tell me why that is a bad idea, or would ruin anybody's day?
  • Cagro
    Cagro
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks to Surinen and darkdruidssb14_ESO for the leveling tips. I will try them.
  • Solomon_Cato
    Solomon_Cato
    ✭✭
    Surinen wrote: »
    I TOTALLY get what you are saying here, because I main a sorcerer too :). I laughed at this so hard because it is so true. Aesthetically there is NO comparison between casting Crystal Fragments and casting Flame Whip, and I get that, I truly do. However, I still believe there is a healthy population of competitive players who would take advantage of a respec system like the one suggested.

Also, I too have wished to have access to the Ardent Flame line at times..... would be very entertaining.
    but of course that there will be a certain, possibly even very noisy amount of players who will abuse it. there are people who walk into garage and walk out with flatmethrow backpack and napalm, ok wrong analogy - - - zzzzzzzuzuzuzuzu
    who walk int...(...) doesn't matter, really. this is why developer should balance it or at least they should make more than 10 excellent abilities, so that they will not fit on two bars. there isn't that much trully competitive player's anyway, small imbalances will be always swallowed. if you can kill in PvP then that is fine. at least I can suffer through imbalances, if it gives me ardent flame or some templar mumbo jumbo then I'm all for it. although, to be honest I'm not arguining strictly in favour of the class change. I'm advocating total class obliteration or an option to borrow 1-2 skill lines from the other classes. it may even be 1 or even 0.5 of it + passives, something that will enhance this game's longevity in my eyes. TES games thrive with their replayability. ESO unlike singleplayer installation, requires to gather items and yadda yadda things that you would not get through command line or mod or anything else, it binds you with your character. at least I loathe idea of alts. I would like to relive my stories with my main hero.

Now this is something that I completely agree 100% with you. This would open things up completely and create an infinite amount of variety. Give us access to all skill lines until, like mention earlier, level 10. Then choose the three skill lines we favor the most, and give us access to all weapon skills like the current system allows. I would be all in on something like this.

Unfortunately, I do not see something like this happening :/.
  • Surinen
    Surinen
    ✭✭✭
    Now this is something that I completely agree 100% with you. This would open things up completely and create an infinite amount of variety. Give us access to all skill lines until, like mention earlier, level 10. Then choose the three skill lines we favor the most, and give us access to all weapon skills like the current system allows. I would be all in on something like this.

Unfortunately, I do not see something like this happening :/.
    I'm all for free skill lines and no classes for the whole game. although I would not mind, let's say 2 weeks cooldown or 3 weeks even. or global cooldown on such change to minimalise respeccing from patch to patch. well, I'm not paid to think about technicalities. I want to simply breathe fire with my sorcerer, to hear this beautiful flamethrower sound.

• Ulvich
    Ulvich
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I'm not mistaken didn't they try this sort of thing with RIFT. And didn't RIFT go f2p soon after? I'm against this all the way.
    - Monster Slayer
    - Savior of Nirn
    - Adventurer Across a Decade
    - Hit Hard. Hit Fast. Hit Often
    - BETA Group: 85 b 9
  • Surinen
    Surinen
    ✭✭✭
    Ulvich wrote: »
    If I'm not mistaken didn't they try this sort of thing with RIFT. And didn't RIFT go f2p soon after? I'm against this all the way.
    you are mistaken. it was a different system and it was implemented from the beginning of the game. actually, it was one of those things that made game popular, alongside with quite a lot of content.

Edited by Surinen on May 3, 2014 1:47PM
  • Solomon_Cato
    Solomon_Cato
    ✭✭
    Ulvich wrote: »

Fair point.
  • Solomon_Cato
    Solomon_Cato
    ✭✭
    I am just curious about the spellcrafting system they will implement later this. Curious to know what all it entails, and whether or not it just really is a cop out or something intricate and unique to the game.
  • neocomab16_ESO
    neocomab16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    NO NO and NO this encourages FoTM! Maybe a better solution is to have to reach say level ten before you choose the class that is right for you. By level ten you will know what kind of playstyle you would like to have. Re rolling a class just isn't a good idea IMO

FOTM is already in the game. It is called rerolling sorc or DK.
  • smercgames_ESO
    smercgames_ESO
    ✭✭✭

FOTM is already in the game. It is called rerolling sorc or DK.

rerolling dk vampire to be more accurate
  • darkdruidssb14_ESO
    darkdruidssb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    rerolling dk vampire to be more accurate

^This. Vamp Sorc is also popular, but DKs are just all around better right now.

On the subject of Rift and why it went F2P.

Rift didn't have as open character skill customization as ESO. You picked your starting class.. 1 out of the 4 available kind of like ESO. From there if you picked a Warrior you would eventually get access to 9 skill trees (souls) and you could combine 3 at a time to make a build. The skill trees were more setup like World of Warcraft with branches leading to different abilities/passives. Each class had a completely different set of 9 skill trees to combine. No classes had shared abilities and you couldn't fill every role with every class.. like a Mage couldn't tank and a Warrior couldn't support heal.

The main problem with Rift was that end game raiding was boring and balance was terrible. 9 souls sounds great, but in reality there were only ever 1-2 builds that you could actually use with you class and be competitive with other players. By the time the developers actually had decent content coming out the player base had already dropped significantly. The Guardian faction was seen as the "good guy" faction and severely over populated the Defiant faction so open world PvP was pretty 1 sided and you would get rolled by a few pre-made PvP groups in the instanced PvP since they seemed to have more pre-mades running than Defiant.

I had a 50 warrior, 50 rogue and 50 mage with a 45ish cleric.. when I quit it was to play Guild Wars 2.

I realize that ZOS probably won't change the way classes work any time soon... or ever. It was just a thought that bothered me with how they want to discourage players to feel like they have to reroll, but you still have to reroll if you want to play another class. I seriously doubt that Spell Crafting will make up the gap in abilities between classes.