The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Do you still play ToT?

SilverBride
SilverBride
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
The other day someone asked in guild chat what ToT was and a member replied "That card game that no one plays any more."This really hit home because I and many of my friends have stopped playing.

Do you still play ToT or have you quit? Feel free to comment.
Edited by SilverBride on January 19, 2023 4:58PM
PCNA

Do you still play ToT? 173 votes

Yes
26%
CireousSorianasekou_trayvondRedTalonSheridanOlivianderVulsahdaalSatanicSisterC0L0SSUSfizl101IlsabetNeoauspexJusey1bbrown0770emilyhyoyeonTheImperfectArtanisulNaomi_KKitty_QuietlyErishti 45 votes
Yes but not as often as I used to
12%
wenchmore420b14_ESOTheForFeeFQuietPanda_22lion_heart_2000ub17_ESOHamfastNeKryXeNeonisysDragonRacerOberon45paperwhiteEnokarielphantasmalDspartaxoxoquinanciaTercesNorthwoldMyrethWitchyKikiCazadoramig186 21 votes
No
61%
NestorlaurajfdriosketchSolarikenchessalavakia_ESOalenae1b14_ESOGlassHalfFullbeardedJoeDarcyMardinmartinhpb16_ESOCaliguloveSotha_SilmertustaAektannShagrethSorakakadok00DreepaSilverBrideTheOldPopster 107 votes
  • White wabbit
    White wabbit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Still play the npcs as still not got full decks , but have never played against another player
  • sharquez
    sharquez
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    No but only because I've stopped playing the game, only popping in to check on things every once in a while. If things go well for the game this year I'll probably start up again and play TOT while I do.
    At least 3 of each class. PVPing Since IC.
  • NeKryXe
    NeKryXe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unfortunately I prefer to play ranked, and since I'm constantly getting 0 points on wins and always -150 points on losses, I've been playing way less. Probably I'll return to ESL again on next month and leave ToT if the incompetent rank system isn't fixed.
  • Mesite
    Mesite
    ✭✭✭✭
    The answer is no, but the question is 'Have you ever played ToT?'

I keep meaning to try but heard it's complicated.
  • colossalvoids
    colossalvoids
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    No, not even for achievements, kinda sending zos a message that their feature of the year wasn't desirable. Same with companions, but they're at least can be passively leveled after some time to check out achievements, unlike wasting tons of time with card game which concept is absolutely out of my alley for those types of games.
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    I hope that they will fix some of the issues that drove me and my friends away so we can find a reason to play again. Things such as the ranking system and overpowered decks and cards that create excessively long combos.
    PCNA
  • Ilsabet
    Ilsabet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes
    I only started a month or so ago, because I knew it was going to be a project to learn and it took me a while to work up the ambition. So I'm still in the progression phase of trying to get my rank up so I can do more of the questline. I only play against NPCs because I know I would get thrashed by actual people, so I wouldn't be part of the active player community anyway.
    Ilsabet Menard - DC Breton Nightblade archer - Savior of Pretty Much Everything, Grand Overlord & Empress Nubcakes
    Katarin Auclair - DC Breton Warden healer & ice mage
    My characters and their overly elaborate backstories
    Ilsabet's Headcanon
    The Adventures of Torbyrn Windchaser - Breaking the Ice & Ashes to Ashes
    PC NA
  • Ingenon
    Ingenon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    I am only doing the intro ToT quest on my alts to shut up the carnival barker Sorinne Gaerard that is in multiple zones. The tutorial instructions from Brahgas don't make me want to go further with ToT.
  • colossalvoids
    colossalvoids
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    Arttea apparently did a pretty solid community survey on the question recently, probably worth checking out for ones interested in potential "why's".
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    I haven’t tried it and don’t intend to. To me, it’s not the sort of mini game that belongs in an MMO RPG and further, it’s associated in my mind with how AWA was implemented if only because they were announced at the same time.
  • Lugaldu
    Lugaldu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    No
    The only incentive to fight through hundreds of ToT games was Brahgas as a house guest and the other furniture...
  • NeKryXe
    NeKryXe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To me, it’s not the sort of mini game that belongs in an MMO RPG

Weird. I can't think of any mini-game that would belong more in this MMO RPG than an RPG card game. Maybe some variation of mahjong would also fit in too, but a card game for now seems perfect. Also, it's way better and much more challenging than lockpicking, scrying or digging, and unlike those previous awful mini-games you can completely skip ToT if you don't like it.
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    NeKryXe wrote: »

Weird. I can't think of any mini-game that would belong more in this MMO RPG than an RPG card game. Maybe some variation of mahjong would also fit in too, but a card game for now seems perfect. Also, it's way better and much more challenging than lockpicking, scrying or digging, and unlike those previous awful mini-games you can completely skip ToT if you don't like it.

A game that fits in an RPG game is one that would actually be played by characters in that world — like darts, foxes and felines, punctilious conflict, etc. An RPG or collectible card game seems very out of place to me. So yes, I skip it.
  • NeKryXe
    NeKryXe
    ✭✭✭✭✭

A game that fits in an RPG game is one that would actually be played by characters in that world — like darts, foxes and felines, punctilious conflict, etc. An RPG or collectible card game seems very out of place to me. So yes, I skip it.

I understand now your point, and I admit that I was also expecting ToT to be placed in tavern tables, and showing characters playing (like poker in many games). But then the problem is not the game, the game is nicely done, the problem is that it was really really badly placed in the ESO world. It's a very bad design with a terrible implementation in the game. In that way I agree. For example, in Red Dead Redemption you go to a saloon to play poker and you can see the characters playing. I thought that they were going to do something like that. Maybe they'll fix it one day. But again... ToT is not bad, but the game implementation is.
  • WitchyKiki
    WitchyKiki
    ✭✭✭
    Its becoming redundant for me. The more I play it the less seriously I take it. I play for fun now, if I don't find a match fun I concede and move on. most of my matches now end up on concedes because I'm either winning too easy, or the game became unfun. I am loosing my interest.
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    No, I don't play ToT anymore. I found it boring from the beginning, to be honest, but, wanting to give it a chance at least, thought I might at least level it up a bit and see if it gets more interesting on higher levels. Then Firesong was released, I decided to focus on the new story quests first and continue levelling ToT later... But never took it up again since that. No motivation. And somehow I doubt that will change.
    Also, it's way better and much more challenging than lockpicking, scrying or digging, and unlike those previous awful mini-games you can completely skip ToT if you don't like it.

Lockpicking as a mechanism makes sense though, as boxes containing valuables won't just lay around open (and if you don't like it, you can just try to break locks at the cost of 1 lockpick, with very good chances if you improve the lockpicking skill in the legerdemain skill line).

Excavations add much to the lore through the descriptions of the antiquities. Of course not everyone cares for that, but I think it was an interesting new method of storytelling.

If it's necessary to force people to do it to get mythic items is another question, though. I think things should be kept seperate. No one should be forced to get an item useful for PvP though excavations, no one should have to play ToT to progress in a non-ToT-related storyquest (as it was on Galen), and basic furniture items shouldn't be locked behind group dungeons (prestige objects like sculptures - I'm fine with that; but not basic things like windows). I know they want to "motivate" players to try different things, but I find it rather frustrating (and not motivating at all) if I have to do things I don't enjoy to get something I want/need that's related to a completely different thing.
    @Syldras | PC | EU
    The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
    Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
    Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
    Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire
  • vsrs_au
    vsrs_au
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Mesite wrote: »
    The answer is no, but the question is 'Have you ever played ToT?'

I keep meaning to try but heard it's complicated.
    It is! Or at least, the strategy in the games can be complicated. I was completely lost in my first game, where Brahgas made an ineffective attempt to explain it. I couldn't even work out how to get a card from the central row. Several internet searches later, it started to make more sense. I've still only played 6 games, all against NPCs.
    Edited by vsrs_au on January 20, 2023 12:49AM
    PC(Steam) / EU / play from Melbourne, Australia / avg ping 390
  • haelgaan
    haelgaan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    never played ToT, quite happy that i haven't. i'm still disappointed that ZOS wasted even an iota of effort on that steaming pile of feature.
  • sekou_trayvond
    sekou_trayvond
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Heck yeah! Play pretty much every day. Only real game system I interact with atm. Super addicting.
  • rbfrgsp
    rbfrgsp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    I only log in for the ToT and crafting dailies nowadays. Been this way for 6 months or more.
  • Diebesgut
    Diebesgut
    ✭✭✭✭
    No

... my Khajiit just played the intro quest to stop this girl yelling at them at every corner ...

smilie_wet_125.gif

Khajiit Sicherheitsdienst ~ Überprüfung von Schlössern aller Art ~ Khajiit Security ~ Inspection of any kind of locks
    Khajiit Gebrauchtwaren ~ Handel mit Waren aller Art ~ Khajiit Store ~ Trading of any kind of goods
    Playstation
  • DarcyMardin
    DarcyMardin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    No
    Never played it to begin with. Not interested.
  • beenbadder
    beenbadder
    ✭✭
    No
    Tried it & found it boring & impossible to win against NPCs.
  • Rooatouille
    Rooatouille
    ✭✭
    Yes
    It seems I'm in the minority here, but yes, I still play and regularly. I think one of the big reasons I've continued to play is the ToT guild I started. The community we've built makes the games amongst us at tournaments far more engaging and rewarding than playing a random opponent on the leaderboard. Granted, I now know a good number of the players whether as members of the guild or just because I play against them regularly, so that makes it even better for me. I've been told that there is a problem of toxicity in the lower ranked tiers and that, along with a ranked reward system that needs tweaking, may be part of why there has been some loss of interest.

I also hear more often than I'd like that there are a lot of players who have never even tried the game. I will never advocate somebody forcing themselves to play if they don't enjoy it, everybody has different game preferences and there's nothing wrong with that, but I still encourage those who haven't even given it a shot to try it out and see what they think.
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Not only do I still play (against the NPCs), but I still enjoy it so much that I often play multiple times a day-- that is, second and occasionally third sessions after having completed the daily. Also, that's on two servers, not just one, so on some days I play as many as six sessions per day of ToT, although it's usually closer to four. Each of those sessions is usually three matches, or four on the rare occasions that the NPC wins a match. So I usually play a minimum of six NPC matches a day, ranging up to as many as 18 matches on days when I'm really into it-- not all at once, but spread out between multiple sessions of ESO.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • laurajf
    laurajf
    ✭✭✭
    No
    No.

Games take too long. I was only doing the NPC daily (no interest in PVP), but those 3 games, between the games themselves and the travel to and from them, took up way too much time and I ended up with not much time left over to do the normal things I enjoyed.

The rewards are actually pretty bad for the time spent playing each game.

Lastly, as with many things in this game, too much RNG involved and too much grinding to level up. I just wanted the furniture and burned out before I even got them.
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    laurajf wrote: »

I think the rewards are pretty good, but I also think they could be better. In fact, I think that one way ZOS could persuade more players to give ToT a try and play it more regularly would be by giving better rewards, such as legendary crafting temps, or rare crafting trait mats. For instance, if players knew that they had a chance to get some Potent Nirncrux, or Slaughterstone, or Chromium Plating, etc., in the reward coffers from playing ToT, I think more players would be willing to give it a try. We already have a chance to get materials used for crafting furniture, and I think that's a good thing. But upping the rewards a bit would be awesome in my opinion.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • WitchyKiki
    WitchyKiki
    ✭✭✭
    SeaGtGruff wrote: »

I think the rewards are pretty good, but I also think they could be better. In fact, I think that one way ZOS could persuade more players to give ToT a try and play it more regularly would be by giving better rewards, such as legendary crafting temps, or rare crafting trait mats. For instance, if players knew that they had a chance to get some Potent Nirncrux, or Slaughterstone, or Chromium Plating, etc., in the reward coffers from playing ToT, I think more players would be willing to give it a try. We already have a chance to get materials used for crafting furniture, and I think that's a good thing. But upping the rewards a bit would be awesome in my opinion.

I just capped on transmutes. Thats never happened. Don't even know what to do with them. I pull so many purples and blues from coffers, as well as very valuable mats. The rewards are very good.
  • WitchyKiki
    WitchyKiki
    ✭✭✭
    No.

Games take too long. I was only doing the NPC daily (no interest in PVP), but those 3 games, between the games themselves and the travel to and from them, took up way too much time and I ended up with not much time left over to do the normal things I enjoyed.

Lastly, as with many things in this game, too much RNG involved and too much grinding to level up. I just wanted the furniture and burned out before I even got them.

If you want some of the tradable furniture, I am willing to part with it if youre on PC. I get too many of those tapestries.
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SeaGtGruff wrote: »

You can get jewelry mats from it. Furnishing Mats. Expensive style pages. Transmute Crystals. I've hit cap multiple times. They rewards are really good.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on January 21, 2023 1:29AM