The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Game activity ideas

Auros
Auros
✭✭✭
I looked into the forum and since I was not able to find a single place to gather feedback and game ideas, decided to post here.

Simple: I love loot, in any form, through quests, drops, achievements, events, fishing etc.

Why not introduce some RNG items that would make the player feel really unique, while doing every day activities anyway? The element of surprise! It could be through fishing, antiquity system, random event, you name it. But a simple implementation like the tri-factor system in Diablo (for example) that when you get that ring or piece of armor, that has the perfect stats - it really feels unique and satisfactory. It could be also an item with a unique skill bound to it, for example, not game breaking, but QoL, or immunity 10 seconds (PvE - only), revive, extra shield, glowing head if you will :) - you name it - the limit is the imagination OR the perfect stats maybe?

The moment mythic items were introduced - pleople started theory-crafting and builds are already long ago implemented with these "mythic" items, that everyone have. NO, I am not saying to make the drop chance low, quite the opposite - make the high drop chance, but the chance for it to have perfect stats - low. That way, in the beginning you will actually get something useful, (for example: +50 weapon damage), but the perfect stat would be +150. Make the player feel really unique and lucky, not by opening boxes for mounts, cosmetics, housing items, but really rewarded with power and/or QoL (free teleport with 2h cooldown, for example) - for his persistance and luck! Something that will help him/her in their every day activities from now on.

Just an idea :)

Cheers!
  • Auros
    Auros
    ✭✭✭
    Few more ideas, from the top of my head :)

1. Killing contracts (witcher style) - kill me these ... will reward you with item/coins (special currency).
    2. Reputation system - you can gain access to merchant NPCs, use currency to buy really usefull items/skills/tools/whatever. This system could have multiple ways (currencies) to achieve the same result (example: someone would prefer to gather herbs, another one grind mobs for hides, claws, fish, etc.

An important note to these dailies: do NOT make them feel obligatory, so that you are forced to do them every day! That would lead to a hard limit a player can achieve per day, considering the thin balance between adventuring and grinding...

Make them zone-independent, so that everyone "wanders" in their favourite zone, rather than forcing the pleayer, to reside in a place he simply does not like, or maybe everyone will clutter at, because of the rarity of the thing they are looking for. That would be bad.

Encourage exploration! Give players a reason to visit places or simply be pleasantly surprised while wandering :)

Happy New Year!!

Edited by Auros on December 30, 2022 4:55PM
  • Billium813
    Billium813
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Auros wrote: »
    Simple: I love loot, in any form, through quests, drops, achievements, events, fishing etc.

Why not introduce some RNG items that would make the player feel really unique, while doing every day activities anyway? The element of surprise! It could be through fishing, antiquity system, random event, you name it. But a simple implementation like the tri-factor system in Diablo (for example) that when you get that ring or piece of armor, that has the perfect stats - it really feels unique and satisfactory. It could be also an item with a unique skill bound to it, for example, not game breaking, but QoL, or immunity 10 seconds (PvE - only), revive, extra shield, glowing head if you will :) - you name it - the limit is the imagination OR the perfect stats maybe?

ESO seems to be focusing more on "content matters" and "player ability matters" and less on "items matter" or "stats matter". I think ESO is trying to distance its gameplay from the intense grind that RNG loot would inspire. That system would be far from "casual" play and push players to grind content over and over and over to try to get that perfect item. You just have to look at the sticker book to know that isn't what ESO wants players to be doing. ESO wants players to get what they want in "relative" ease and get into the CONTENT they want faster (we call this the "end game").

Now, we can argue about how effective ZOS is being at steering ESO in that direction, but it does appear to be where they want the ship to go... and I like that direction myself. I want to enjoy the content, not worry about having sub-optimal weapons or armor. I like knowing that what I am wearing is the best that it can be (for the given stats) and it didn't require me investing 100 hours just to get it! I think that is a positive about ESOs current direction.

Second, ESO has been moving further and further away from a "levels matter" system. I think they looked at games like WOW, with the endless level cap and item farming treadmill and they want to get away from all that. For better or worse (go ahead and argue), ESO is placing more and more development into the "end game", where level doesn't really matter anymore. That bars being able to RNG loot at different levels.

So what is the "end game" really and why does it matter? There's the first 50 levels, which is supposed to be the "beginning game" for players. Then, there's the first 300 Champion Points, which is supposed to be the "mid-game". Finally, there's post-300CP where the "end game" finally opens up for players. ESO is pushing content for this "end-game" experience. They are shortening the other 2 phases more and more to get players INTO that "end-game" so they can start playing the content they want to play! Generating loot less than the level cap, for players in the "end-game", would be counter to getting players to that end game in the first place!

Third, I completely agree with players liking this "element of surprise"! ESO has chosen to place that in non-combat items like achievement titles, motif pages, and furnishings. I think that is the correct place to go given that combat (the single largest function of the game) shouldn't come down to 100 hours grinding for RNG weapons. You can make achievements and non-combat styles a total grind-fest because those are more for status and cosmetics. Something that doesn't hurt feelings on the battlefield or cause an imbalance in dungeon gameplay.
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Billium813 wrote: »
    ESO is pushing content for this "end-game" experience. They are shortening the other 2 phases more and more to get players INTO that "end-game" so they can start playing the content they want to play!

Some want to play...

Which is fine, so long as ZOS don't leave out the large number (arguably overwhelming majority) of players who have no interest in any endgame activities like veteran content and PvP, and who are in danger of having their additional content cut back.

Also, in pushing for more repeatable content ZOS seem to be potentially switching to more RNG, not less. What's the point of doing more repeatable content if it isn't to have more chances of getting the decent loot that you want/need?
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tandor wrote: »
    ESO is pushing content for this "end-game" experience. They are shortening the other 2 phases more and more to get players INTO that "end-game" so they can start playing the content they want to play!

Some want to play...

Which is fine, so long as ZOS don't leave out the large number (arguably overwhelming majority) of players who have no interest in any endgame activities like veteran content and PvP, and who are in danger of having their additional content cut back.

Also, in pushing for more repeatable content ZOS seem to be potentially switching to more RNG, not less. What's the point of doing more repeatable content if it isn't to have more chances of getting the decent loot that you want/need?

Agreed.

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
  • Auros
    Auros
    ✭✭✭
    I agree that existing build-based and item levels should remain. Maybe some QoL and goodies, that are non-game breaking. We remember the spell-craft idea ... existed since launch. Well, if they can not risk to introduce it, maybe some "funny" QoL things could be introduced in addition to what already exists.

With so many items that exist in our craft bags - ... I'm tired of selling writs on the market for years. Other mats and items should be valuable more than collection book. So, I think ZOS are loosing a big trading chunk of the game that way.

Even mythic items and legendaries: is it used in a build, ok - go and grind it - done. The rest - discard... Its a waste of a system.

Fishing is underdeveloped.... so many base systems, that could grow into complex "things to do" for every taste.

And I personally am not into Trials and Arenas as well. So... what do I do, once I complete every zone quests and achievements?

Yes, I love exploration, just give me a reason to continue doing it :)
    Edited by Auros on December 30, 2022 7:48PM
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Auros wrote: »
    I agree that existing build-based and item levels should remain. Maybe some QoL and goodies, that are non-game breaking. We remember the spell-craft idea ... existed since launch. Well, if they can not risk to introduce it, maybe some "funny" QoL things could be introduced in addition to what already exists.

And I personally am not into Trials and Arenas as well. So... what do I do, once I complete every zone quests and achievements?

Yes, I love exploration, just give me a reason to continue doing it :)

To give a good example, there's a certain similarly established MMORPG that has recently released additional alternative content for the entirety of levels 1 to 32. I'm having a ball exploring that, and I'm not alone!
  • Billium813
    Billium813
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Some want to play...

Perhaps I wasn't clear, and I KNOW people will disagree with me, but I view everything available after CP 300 as "end game" content. Trials and normal dungeons (DLC and base), arena's and PvP. I know most players consider "end-game" to be only "the hardest content ESO has" like Vet HM and furnishings (expensive). However, I lump that all together. In fact, ESO testing doesn't even slot CP when testing Trials and dungeons; they run with blue gear.

The reason I do that is because after CP 300, there are no restrictions on content anymore by the game. You aren't level barred from anything and the best weapons and armor are available to you as a player. You can argue all you want that Vet HM Trials are too hard for a CP 300 player, but I don't think they are. Nothing says that "Veteran" or "HM" means "end game". I'v seen CP 300 players do just fine and it's more about experience than level. CP slottables are just icing on the cake, they aren't that mandatory or necessary to complete content. Being able to access content in game and being competent are the biggest hurdles for players. Most of that comes with simple experience and familiarity with content.

IMO, "Repeatable content" doesn't necessarily mean more RNG... granted, ZOS has been super vague about about what kind of "repeatable content" that they are talking about, but I would like to think they are focusing more on content and less on RNG combat loot obtained from said "repeatable content"... however, we won't really know until they announce more information.
    Edited by Billium813 on December 30, 2022 9:17PM
  • Carcamongus
    Carcamongus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What if these items you randomly got were more amusing than useful? I'd hate it for another layer of RNG torture to be added to the game, but if the interesting trinkets weren't gameplay-enhancing, but just interesting, there'd be no need to grind. How about some funny treasure that's related to the quest you just completed or food/drink that caused some visual effects? Maybe more random encounters like those from Zenithar's event, in which you gained items that could be used in other encounters.
    Imperial DK and Necro tank. PC/NA
    "Nothing is so bad that it can't get any worse." (Brazilian saying)
  • Auros
    Auros
    ✭✭✭
    What if these items you randomly got were more amusing than useful? I'd hate it for another layer of RNG torture to be added to the game, but if the interesting trinkets weren't gameplay-enhancing, but just interesting, there'd be no need to grind. How about some funny treasure that's related to the quest you just completed or food/drink that caused some visual effects? Maybe more random encounters like those from Zenithar's event, in which you gained items that could be used in other encounters.

Agreed