Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Which house-size do you prefer?

derkaiserliche
derkaiserliche
✭✭✭✭
Assuming you wouldnt need to spend crowns or gold on any house. Which size do you prefer?

Which house-size do you prefer? 87 votes

Inn rooms / appartments (like maras kiss or the rosy lion for example)
0%
Small houses (like the cyrodilic cungle house or snugpod for example)
5%
carlyKadzraDovjoyGruumsh1endgamesmug 5 votes
Medium houses (like ravenhurst or sleekcreek for example)
34%
NestorlaurajfCireouscalitrumanb14_ESOHrogunJonnAndCoLonestryderAmphithoeIncognitiusLadyHeloiseemilyhyoyeonTommy_The_GunSilverIce58LikiLokighastleyweedgeniusBretonMageN3CR01KallykatDiebesgut 30 votes
Large houses (like old mistveil manor or water's edge for example)
26%
SorianaMonkLoHanVehlirLivvyhondelinkkargen27merpinsmeekmikoanadandyWildRaptorXNord_RaserispartaxoxosmackinhippiesHappyTheCamperhiziumhaelgaanSilverStreekSkaraMinocThee_Cheshire_CatTaSheen 23 votes
Manors (like daggerfall overlook or grand psijic villa for example)
18%
WuffyCeruleiElsonsoTheImperfectMolydeusajm1946TonyRockaroniIgnisDrakkonMik195NachoProblemNightowl_74Supreme_AtromancerPDarkBHoodfizzyluboi_anachronism_amig186LunaFlora 16 votes
Large properties without a prebuild house (like moon sugar meadow or still waters retreat)
14%
DarkstorneSpell-Slingerw002expXarcLumennAshgard23MysanneSickleCiderJaimehMageCatF4FLugalduroyalwenchevymyu233 13 votes
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, but I also like medium houses and properties without a prebuild. I have about even numbers across my accounts.

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
  • Amphithoe
    Amphithoe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like houses I can actually fill with highly detailed rooms without running out of furniture budget.
    Guildmaster: School of Julianos
  • Sweetpea704
    Sweetpea704
    ✭✭✭✭
    Really, I like them all. BUT, I get annoyed when the house has too many doors/load screens to go to. I will literally block the doors and make my design in just the yard or part of the house. I like the properties. I also want inn rooms in EVERY zone.
  • Molydeus
    Molydeus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like massive homes I can get lost in, with great views and a grand feel, something I could never have in the real world.
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like all, except the furnishing limit for inn rooms seems awfully small. The apartments and small homes are much better in this regard. Most of all though, I have to like the look, feel, layout of the space. For large homes it really depends — I love the Varlaisvea Ayleid ruins because I like the layout and it feels right to me more sparesly decorated relative to its size. Whereas the Psijic Villa and Thieves’ Oasis seem like they would be much more difficult to include all that I would wish with the item limit. I also love the large open plots and bought Moonsugar Meadow as soon as it became available, so I really like a variety!
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Large properties without a prebuild house (like moon sugar meadow or still waters retreat)
    My favourite ones are template houses because you can build anything you like without having to go around the existing architecture, and also it's easier to block off areas that you don't want to use. I like medium and large houses as well, especially when they have an outdoors area. I think manors are beautifully designed, but with the current slot limit, it's very difficult to do them justice, and it's a pity having to block off areas trying to make the build look more cohesive.
  • TheImperfect
    TheImperfect
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All sizes and plots but I like a lot of space.
  • Nightowl_74
    Nightowl_74
    ✭✭✭
    My favorites are the Grand Psijic Villa, Pariahs Pinnacle, Lake Xanmeer, and other large manor type homes with relatively compact layouts, and I'm generally less fond of rambling floor plans with a lot of walkways. I also like the themed houses, although they tend to be smaller. Snowglobe, Exorcised Coven Cottage and Tel Galen are some I've really enjoyed decorating, but it was despite their size not because of it.
    Edited by Nightowl_74 on December 28, 2022 12:32AM
  • Mik195
    Mik195
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like ones with swimming areas like Aldemeri Grotto, Potentates (where I turned Vivecs bed into a pool float and have a pet wander out and chill there), Sweetwater and the one in Behtnik all have cool water features.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Houses where the Furnishing slots let me decorate where they feel "full" rather than pretty empty.
  • merpins
    merpins
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    medium or large houses, and properties with no houses on them are best imo. Since the build limit is so limiting, anything bigger just isn't possible to decorate properly.
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It’s mostly the space-to-slots ratio that determine how well a home works. The medium ones have had the slots ramp up enough before the space goes crazy.
  • Dojohoda
    Dojohoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I like having the most slots available but I will use whatever the site offers to build something.
    Fan of playing magblade since 2015. (PC NA)
    Might be joking in comments.
    -->(((Cyrodiil)))<--
  • Dovjoy
    Dovjoy
    Soul Shriven
    I have always enjoyed the aesthetic of cozy cottages. So naturally, I like small houses like the Cyrodilic Jungle House--I wish there were more small cozy homes with a good yard in ESO.
  • carly
    carly
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think after all I prefer small homes. I have a lot of houses in all sizes but I find myself gravitating towards my small homes more than any others. In fact I just bought Captain Morgaux's house this week - it was one of the few small ones I didn't own - and I love it! I love being in a busy city with so much activity going on around me and I like how cozy the house is.
  • Lugaldu
    Lugaldu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    My favorite thing to do is constructing my own buildings, so I prefer empty plots.
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think they all have their charms, actually.

And while I also like big manors, I'm a bit bothered that many crown store houses seem to be extremely huge and expensive, while sometimes a medium sized (and less expensive) house of the same theme would feel big enough for me. I'd buy a smaller Ayleid ruin for a reasonable price, for example, but not the huge one that costs over 100 $/€ - and doesn't even have enough housing slots to furnish it sufficiently.
    @Syldras | PC | EU
    The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
    Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
    Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
    Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire
  • princesspurpleblob
    princesspurpleblob
    ✭✭✭
    I prefer medium ones - not to small, not to big, just perfect <3

I wish there are more medium homes available :'(
    Hall of Colossus - Alinor in Elsweyr | Alinor Crest Townhouse - Alinor Noble Estate | Colossal Aldmeri Grotto - Alinor Scenic Estate | Sleek Creek House - Khajiiti Paradise | Bouldertree Refuge - Flora Estate | Autumn's Gate - Sweet Autumn Lodge | Domus Phrasticus - Breton Country House | Exorcised Coven Cottage - Forest Cottage | Antiquarian's Alpine Gallery - The Starry Sky Inn | Mathiisen Manor - Mathiisen Wedding Hall | Humblemud - Torchic Barn Party House | Other inn rooms / apartments / homes
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Manors and Large.

BUT.... what I really want are usable properties without doors. This is an annoying thing and I tend to not want to use the interior areas. If they are going to break them into separate rooms, then each room should have a separate allotment of items that can be placed there that does not count against the rest of the property.

PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Lumenn
    Lumenn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wide open. I've said in the past housing can be limited (fun, but limited) in ESO. While HAVING the materials in another game (that I won't mention here lest it get EXILED to the moderator trash bin) I can still spend WEEKS designing and building whole cities, yet here I'm having to wall off a good chunk of the zone due to item limits or cover up decrepit ruins and falling apart walls and it's ridiculous (unless that's your theme for that house). Give me a flat open spot that I can build my own property the way that I want it, usually without crumbling masonry and wasted space.
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Syldras wrote: »
    I think they all have their charms, actually.

And while I also like big manors, I'm a bit bothered that many crown store houses seem to be extremely huge and expensive, while sometimes a medium sized (and less expensive) house of the same theme would feel big enough for me. I'd buy a smaller Ayleid ruin for a reasonable price, for example, but not the huge one that costs over 100 $/€ - and doesn't even have enough housing slots to furnish it sufficiently.

That’s actually my favorite “giant” home because I like the layout and like it furnished with fewer larger furnishings and dramatic lighting! :smiley: But I certainly wouldn’t argue against a second smaller Ayleid home — yes, please and structural pieces in Ayleid style as well! :innocent:

In contrast, the layout of Bastion Sanguinaris is really awkward to me and I have to decide what parts I’ll want to use and what I’ll have to block off for lack of furnishing slots… It is not the only one, but perhaps the only one I liked enough to buy anyway after seeing some fantastic builds! :sweat_smile:
  • fizzylu
    fizzylu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Manors, but only because it allows for the most furnishing slots.... some of the manor houses are way too big or just designed in ways I do not like. Like I was really excited about Pantherfang Chapel until I found out the chapel was just a little part of it and most of it was actually an oversized fort(?). I was ready to live out my cult leader dreams in that place, but nope.
    Edited by fizzylu on January 3, 2023 2:13AM
  • Supreme_Atromancer
    Supreme_Atromancer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I could have chosen the plot of land option too. I think those are awesome- the only problem I have with them is that building a convincing house on them will eat up your furnishing cap so fast. I'd love them even more if it were somehow possible to do like pre-fab, load-in houses of varying styles so you could do what you want without eating through the 700 limit. ALSO, location is everything to me. I have my absolute favourite little part of the world that is so personal to me which I love, and have been waiting years for the opportunity to live there.

As to the option I actually chose... I very much empathise with the demand for smaller houses: it can feel bad if you can't fill out a giant mansion because of the cap. Buuuuuut... I need space to put all my things. Crafting stations. Mundus Stones, Ayleid Well, Combat Dummy(ies), Lustratorium, Arcaneum, Chironaseum! Secret summoning chambers! Altars! And that's not even thinking about whatever they might decide to include in future years! So, go big!
  • derkaiserliche
    derkaiserliche
    ✭✭✭✭
    fizzylu wrote: »
    Manors, but only because it allows for the most furnishing slots.... some of the manor houses are way too big or just designed in ways I do not like. Like I was really excited about Pantherfang Chapel until I found out the chapel was just a little part of it and most of it was actually an oversized fort(?). I was ready to live out my cult leader dreams in that place, but nope.

Yea i agree. I actually liked the sweetwater cascades, but then i saw the huge area behind the house. Sometimes it just feels too much.. A good looking house with a nice balcony or a yard would do the work.

• FayJolyn
    FayJolyn
    ✭✭✭✭
    Definitely medium houses. Mostly because small houses usually do not have an outer area. For me they're right at that sweet spot of having enough space to get creative while having just enough furnishing slots (with eso+). Manor houses are just to big sometimes to properly fill up. And the most expensive houses just don't appeal at me at all. They feel like a soulless cash grab The only reason I would get a manor is for the Lady or Clan Mother title.
    Zha'ishii - Kahjiit nightblade (main) PC-EU
  • SpiritKitten
    SpiritKitten
    ✭✭✭✭
    The furnishing limit and interior space for all the apts is too low.

Ravenhurst is a great, reasonably-sized modest house with a decent-sized yard. More homes like this are what seems lore-friendly and player-friendly and that is what we should have the most of going forward imo.

Alinor Crest Townhouse is also a great layout if you want larger and fancier but reasonably sized rooms with a pleasant movement flow. The only door goes to the wonderful deck which is a good size for decorating.

These two homes to me seem like standard housing that people would actually live in, so I like homes like these.

Sleek Creek has an awesome yard with water, but the interior was a pain to decorate because it's so weird. Most people don't live in filthy walls like a lot of the houses seem to have. I don't like that. But I did a good job decorating it, I think, once I got over the mental hurdle of the dirty walls.
    Edited by SpiritKitten on January 7, 2023 6:38PM
  • w002exp
    w002exp
    ✭✭✭
    If its a 700 slot house it needs to be either a large open property like Cold Harbor Surreal Estate, or a smaller house thats actually capable of being properly furnished like Proudspire Manor.

But houses like the recent High Isle one are just ridiculously enormous and only look complete if you block off huge sections of it.
  • fizzylu
    fizzylu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    w002exp wrote: »
    If its a 700 slot house it needs to be either a large open property like Cold Harbor Surreal Estate, or a smaller house thats actually capable of being properly furnished like Proudspire Manor.

But houses like the recent High Isle one are just ridiculously enormous and only look complete if you block off huge sections of it.

Yeah, it really seems Zenimax has gone in the direction of "bigger is better" and that's just so not true.... and it's extra baffling considering players have time and time again said things like "if you can't increase furnishing slots, just make smaller manors", but Zenimax just continues to ignore it like all other player feedback hahahahaaaa
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    fizzylu wrote: »
    w002exp wrote: »

Yeah, it really seems Zenimax has gone in the direction of "bigger is better" and that's just so not true.... and it's extra baffling considering players have time and time again said things like "if you can't increase furnishing slots, just make smaller manors", but Zenimax just continues to ignore it like all other player feedback hahahahaaaa

In this case, they may be going off sales figures. They look to see what is selling and make more of that. Feedback in the forum, if not backed up by sales data, may be much less important to them.

I'm not saying anyone in here needs to heed this, but ... moral of the story: If someone doesn't like large manors because they are too large and hard to decorate, and this is important enough to supply feedback along those lines, they shouldn't buy the large manors.

PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • SickleCider
    SickleCider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    "Fine, I'll do it myself."

Medium/large houses is my second choice. Some of them can be charming and super decoratable. I have buyer's remorse about some large houses I've been seduced by and have become savvier about passing on them, even if I like the theme.
    Edited by SickleCider on January 11, 2023 9:15PM
    ✨🐦✨ Blackfeather Court Commission ✨🐦✨