Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Which house-size do you prefer?

• SkaraMinoc
    SkaraMinoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Large houses (like old mistveil manor or water's edge for example)
    The largest possible house where I can furnish it properly. 700 slots is not enough for most of the big Notable houses.

Edited by SkaraMinoc on January 11, 2023 9:16PM
    PC NA
  • Northwold
    Northwold
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't really know how to answer as I like there to be big structures already there to work with, but I like to have my stuff outdoors in big spaces (or at least where I can see the outdoors -- which rules out almost every house that majors on interiors because the windows aren't transparent).

So it's not open ground, but I do want to be notionally outside, eg Thieves Oasis, the garden of Princely Dawnlight, Earthtear (because you can see out and the space is natural and vast).

And I also second the comments about doors. There are several beautiful houses where I've thought "I'd love to buy that for the outside area but it is a ridiculous number of doors / passageways away from the entrance" and so just didn't buy it. Examples include Markarth, the Fargrave one with the garden accessed through the house, or the Ayleid one in Gold Coast where I'd have wanted to do the open area above the main structure but it's literally two or three minutes of running to even arrive there from the entrance.

I really wish they would give the option for choosing where your front door is (although preferably not with a portal that throws coloured light everywhere like a teenage bedroom; it can look a bit naff).
    Edited by Northwold on January 12, 2023 3:33AM
  • fizzylu
    fizzylu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Manors (like daggerfall overlook or grand psijic villa for example)
    Elsonso wrote: »
    In this case, they may be going off sales figures. They look to see what is selling and make more of that. Feedback in the forum, if not backed up by sales data, may be much less important to them.

Considering we have no idea what houses sell the most, I'll go off of what I know from ESO players super into housing. Out of my two almost full trading guilds and my one very active social guild.... I know like 5 people that bought Pantherfang Chapel. 0 bought Seaveil Spire. 3 bought Varlaisvea Ayleid Ruins. 2 bought Highhallow Hold. 3 also bought Sweetwater Cascades. One of the bigger homes that quite a decent amount of people bought was Stone Eagle Aerie and the only reason why I think this one sold more is because it was in an actual city. Also, judging based off of the ESO housing forums; I see a lot of people also wanting smaller houses. Things like cottages, mage towers, I've even seen people wanting a small cave. Very rarely do I see someone say stuff like "I really want this gigantic abandoned ruin" or "I'd like to see this massive underwater area (in a game we can't even properly swim in)".
    So maybe it's just me haha but I find it hard to believe these gigantic homes they keep creating are selling THAT well. You can even find multiple forums on this site and even off of it where people are wanting to see Zenimax design smaller 700 slot homes. If anything, I see ZOS constantly releasing these massive homes as just further proof of how out of touch they are with their playerbase.
  • Northwold
    Northwold
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    fizzylu wrote: »
    Elsonso wrote: »
    In this case, they may be going off sales figures. They look to see what is selling and make more of that. Feedback in the forum, if not backed up by sales data, may be much less important to them.

Considering we have no idea what houses sell the most, I'll go off of what I know from ESO players super into housing. Out of my two almost full trading guilds and my one very active social guild.... I know like 5 people that bought Pantherfang Chapel. 0 bought Seaveil Spire. 3 bought Varlaisvea Ayleid Ruins. 2 bought Highhallow Hold. 3 also bought Sweetwater Cascades. One of the bigger homes that quite a decent amount of people bought was Stone Eagle Aerie and the only reason why I think this one sold more is because it was in an actual city. Also, judging based off of the ESO housing forums; I see a lot of people also wanting smaller houses. Things like cottages, mage towers, I've even seen people wanting a small cave. Very rarely do I see someone say stuff like "I really want this gigantic abandoned ruin" or "I'd like to see this massive underwater area (in a game we can't even properly swim in)".
    So maybe it's just me haha but I find it hard to believe these gigantic homes they keep creating are selling THAT well. You can even find multiple forums on this site and even off of it where people are wanting to see Zenimax design smaller 700 slot homes. If anything, I see ZOS constantly releasing these massive homes as just further proof of how out of touch they are with their playerbase.

Honestly, I would LOVE more gigantic old ruins (real ruins, like in somewhere like Thieves Oasis or Earthtear -- pillars and monumental structures that you can incorporate into whatever you want to do rather than fixed spaces of four walls and a roof). The problem comes when it's some ruins, and something else, and something else, and something else, Pantherfang being the most extreme example of that. So you end up with multiple different types of building, some of which you're plain not interested by, before you get to the bit you want as your house.

Right now, I'm thinking of getting Potentate's Retreat and completely ignoring the house, doing everything around the pond / garden behind. You can do that without it getting too silly in that house -- because you just walk through the main chamber and out -- but if you had to twist and turn and go through multiple doors to get anywhere it would be plain annoying.
    Edited by Northwold on January 12, 2023 4:55PM
  • fizzylu
    fizzylu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Northwold wrote: »
    Honestly, I would LOVE more gigantic old ruins (real ruins, like in somewhere like Thieves Oasis or Earthtear -- pillars and monumental structures that you can incorporate into whatever you want to do rather than fixed spaces of four walls and a roof). The problem comes when it's some ruins, and something else, and something else, and something else, Pantherfang being the most extreme example of that. So you end up with multiple different types of building, some of which you're plain not interested by, before you get to the bit you want as your house.

Right now, I'm thinking of getting Potentate's Retreat and completely ignoring the house, doing everything around the pond / garden behind. You can do that without it getting too silly in that house -- because you just walk through the main chamber and out -- but if you had to twist and turn and go through multiple doors to get anywhere it would be plain annoying.

Yes, Pantherfang Chapel is one of the worst houses to me haha like it's Pantherfang CHAPEL, why do I have a massive fort? I ended up passing on that house because of that exact reason haha and I think you painted the picture I was trying to better. The problem isn't necessarily the ruins, it's the already spatially demanding ruins on top of some other huge structure.... when really they could simplify it down a lot and still have a decently sized house. I know a few people that bought the Varlaisvea Ruins house that ended up hating it because of this issue. They struggled a lot with finding a way to properly decorate the outdoor area. My bestfriend had the same issue with Pantherfang Chapel. I ended up helping her decorate it and seriously, that fort is unnecessarily huge. She ran out of furnishing slots before I knew it, the top floor (bedroom area?) is practically empty.
    But still, they are just completely ignoring the market for smaller/more simple homes. I know plenty of people that have said they would pay the Potentate's Retreat price for a smaller home.... because in their mind, they are paying for the FURNISHING SLOTS.... not the actual square feet of the home. Zenimax seems to charge for square feet though and increases the price based off of some "unique feature" which could also be why they seem to refuse to release smaller 700 slot homes. Maybe in their minds, they wouldn't be able to charge as much for it. And there's nothing Zenimax likes to add to the game more than some big price tag in their "micro transaction" cash shop hahahahaaaa
  • WuffyCerulei
    WuffyCerulei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Not necessarily just for the house itself, but also the large amount of furnishings you can have. I love having a lot of pretty plants, and the more space I have, the better.
    For the love of Kyne, buff sorc. PC NACP 2100+Star-Sïnger - Khajiit Magicka Sorc - EP Grand Overlord - Flawless Conqueror vMA/vBRP/vDSA no death/vHel Ra HM/vAA HM/vSO HM/vMoL HM/vHoF HM/vAS +2/vCR+3/vSS HMs/vKA HMs/vVH/vRG Oax HM/vDSR
  • Northwold
    Northwold
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    fizzylu wrote: »
    Northwold wrote: »

Yes, Pantherfang Chapel is one of the worst houses to me haha like it's Pantherfang CHAPEL, why do I have a massive fort? I ended up passing on that house because of that exact reason haha and I think you painted the picture I was trying to better. The problem isn't necessarily the ruins, it's the already spatially demanding ruins on top of some other huge structure.... when really they could simplify it down a lot and still have a decently sized house. I know a few people that bought the Varlaisvea Ruins house that ended up hating it because of this issue. They struggled a lot with finding a way to properly decorate the outdoor area. My bestfriend had the same issue with Pantherfang Chapel. I ended up helping her decorate it and seriously, that fort is unnecessarily huge. She ran out of furnishing slots before I knew it, the top floor (bedroom area?) is practically empty.
    But still, they are just completely ignoring the market for smaller/more simple homes. I know plenty of people that have said they would pay the Potentate's Retreat price for a smaller home.... because in their mind, they are paying for the FURNISHING SLOTS.... not the actual square feet of the home. Zenimax seems to charge for square feet though and increases the price based off of some "unique feature" which could also be why they seem to refuse to release smaller 700 slot homes. Maybe in their minds, they wouldn't be able to charge as much for it. And there's nothing Zenimax likes to add to the game more than some big price tag in their "micro transaction" cash shop hahahahaaaa

Indeed. Before Pantherfang came along my dream house was just using one of the Chapel or cathedral assets and giving it light streaming through the windows (airy homes WITH LIGHT seem to be a bit of a rarity among the enclosed houses in ESO). Which they did and it was almost perfect. Except instead of adding a nice garden and perhaps a couple of small wings to the side, they added a massive castle around it and made the whole thing feel completely ridiculous (not to mention ugly and prison-like). Hard pass and presumably I will never see my dream chapel.
    Edited by Northwold on January 13, 2023 11:06AM
  • boi_anachronism_
    boi_anachronism_
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally I love large houses with a ton of property. I build extensions off existing structures 🙂