The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Do you show UserID or Character Name in Nameplates?

• Ragnarok0130
    Ragnarok0130
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    UserID
    I use "User ID" for default display since I want to know if I'm with the same person in my raid and dungeon groups since having many alts is a thing. I can always see their toon's name in the target frame if I'm really curious.
  • N00BxV1
    N00BxV1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    UserID
    User ID is the most practical, while Character Name is for role play.

I don't role play and I'm not about to try and remember dozens of Character Names for every User that I encounter... I can remember a few of the Character Names of one of my friends, but if I saw them out in the wild with Character Names showing then I probably wouldn't even notice them...

So I use User ID. And if I want to know a user's Character Name then I can just target them and see it in the frame.

I also turn Nameplates and Healthbars on and have them highlight when targeted or injured. It makes it so much easier to spot other players and npcs at any time.

PS:
    I read OP's other thread where they were asking if there's an addon that can make it show "CharacterName@UserID" instead of just "CharacterName" OR "UserID". Can you imagine though? Might need a bigger screen just to fit some people's "CharacterName@UserID" into the chatbox and nameplates! lol
    Edited by N00BxV1 on October 31, 2022 9:22PM
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Character Name
    N00BxV1 wrote: »
    I read OP's other thread where they were asking if there's an addon that can make it show "CharacterName@UserID" instead of just "CharacterName" OR "UserID". Can you imagine though? Might need a bigger screen just to fit some people's "CharacterName@UserID" into the chatbox and nameplates! lol

That was a different thread where I was looking for an addon, and has no bearing on this thread.
    PCNA
  • Varana
    Varana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    UserID
    But yes, there are addons that do that, at least for the hover text. (AUI for example, afaik.)

Character names are, in my experience, about 5% more "immersive" than user names. I don't really see a substantial difference.
    Edited by Varana on October 31, 2022 11:08PM
  • SpiritKitten
    SpiritKitten
    ✭✭✭✭
    I show @ usernames in raids and character otherwise...in chat I show charactername @ username
  • SpiritKitten
    SpiritKitten
    ✭✭✭✭
    AzuraFan wrote: »
    I have nameplates turned off. I've tried them and they just get in the way. Too many, especially in a town.

I only show names on target
  • AzuraFan
    AzuraFan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have nameplates turned off. I've tried them and they just get in the way. Too many, especially in a town.

If I target someone, I can see their userid and character name. I don't need nameplates on for that.
    Edited by AzuraFan on November 1, 2022 1:20AM
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Character Name

If I target someone, I can see their userid and character name. I don't need nameplates on for that.

This. Nameplates on makes a seriously garbage screen display.

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
  • Kappachi
    Kappachi
    ✭✭✭✭
    Character Name
    Only character name, I don't care what someone's account name is, they named their character a specific thing because that's what they want that character to be called in-game, through zone chat, etc and that's what I call them by.
  • Elvenheart
    Elvenheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Danikat wrote: »
    I don't use nameplates at all. When they were added to the game I set up a keybinding to turn them on and off, but I can't remember ever having a reason to turn them on.

I have the target frame set to show only the character name, and chat set to show character name except in guilds where it's account name, but I think it's addons doing that rather than base game options.

This is me exactly, but I don’t have any add ons that do this. I turned off nameplates so long ago I actually forgot names could float over people’s heads. My guild roster list shows @names but if I hover over the @name it shows the name of the character that player is on.
  • Jeejee
    Jeejee
    ✭✭✭
    UserID
    Kappachi wrote: »
    Only character name, I don't care what someone's account name is, they named their character a specific thing because that's what they want that character to be called in-game, through zone chat, etc and that's what I call them by.

I want to be called by my account id
  • fizl101
    fizl101
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    UserID
    Jeejee wrote: »
    Kappachi wrote: »

I want to be called by my account id

same.
    Soupy twist
  • Jammet
    Jammet
    ✭✭✭
    Character Name
    I also wished both would be visible at all times. Maybe one in smaller writing. Not knowing the character names of someone would drive me crazy, but always having to focus a person to see the userID is very cumbersome and often impossible in a crowd.
  • EchoesofThunder
    EchoesofThunder
    ✭✭✭
    I use character names when questing, soloing, crafting, etc.
    I use player names (account names) when doing guild events such as trials and harder dungeons. Guildies swap around their characters for these events, and it's best (for me, at least) to know who's there.
  • RedTalon
    RedTalon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Character Name
    Character Name never really pay attention to userids since treat all the same.
  • robwolf666
    robwolf666
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Character Name
    Character name - the game is my characters story/adventure, not mine.
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    UserID
    User ID for me. I prefer information over aesthetics and the account name tells me far more about the person than their character name does.
  • Fenris_Arainai
    Fenris_Arainai
    ✭✭✭✭
    Neither. I have them turned off.

In the chat, I use an add-on, so I set up to see both character@player names, and in my group frame I have players, so I know who is talking (trials/dungeons in voice chat; I do group content only with my guild). Some people have many characters and remembering who is who would be a full time job XD
    Glory to you and your Dunmer House!
  • WiseSky
    WiseSky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Character Name
    Feels slightly more immersive
    Immersive Quests Addon
    Wish to Quest without Quest Way Markers? ''Talk to the Hooded Figure'' Turns into ''Talk to the Hooded Figure, who is feeding the chickens near the southeastern gate in the city of Daggerfall in Glenumbra.'' If you Wish To write bread crumbs clues for quest for other players to experience come join the team!
    List of Immersion Addons
  • Cerilon
    Cerilon
    ✭✭
    UserID
    There were too many Ragnar lothbrocks, Lagerthas and Khaleesis xD
  • Cadbury
    Cadbury
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Character Name
    I have Character Names shown because it's funny to see certain names make offense/vulgar/controversial posts in zone chat. It helps with my immersion.
    "If a person is truly desirous of something, perhaps being set on fire does not seem so bad."
  • CrashTest
    CrashTest
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    UserID
    UserID bc it's easier to send invites for raids and groups.

ZOS just needs to add an option for @names to show in group roster.
  • Natakiro
    Natakiro
    ✭✭✭
    UserID
    ID. I am pretty bad with names so there is no way in a million years I would ever remember who was who in my friend list/guilds if it was by character names, especially for those that run a bunch of alts.

I also don't play ESO for immersion whatsoever and can't get into character, so ID doesn't feel off, and I will be more likely to recall people that do a lot of the same activities every day, makes it feel more like there's a circle of people that I fight dragons with, farm WBs, etc. And some character names are so long it looks silly seeing these huge strings of text overhead.

I do really wish there was a way to add notes to people in your friend list; I have terrible short-term memory due to a medical issue and can't recall how I met a lot of people in my friend list unless I see them every day while playing.
    PC-NA | Play on Desktop, Steam Deck, VR via vorpX
  • barney2525
    barney2525
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I show a picture of my dog

:#
  • jtm1018
    jtm1018
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    UserID
    So I would know who tbag me in bg, when I am doing 0 20 0 in a deathmatch. Yes I love joining bg dm but bg dm dont love me.
  • Einar_Hrafnarsson
    Einar_Hrafnarsson
    ✭✭✭✭
    UserID
    People have to many characters to remember them, so userID
  • Paulytnz
    Paulytnz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    whitecrow wrote: »
    I don't use them but if I did I would use character name, after all this is an RPG.

I'm curious now how having nameplates toggled off affects the name we see in the chat window. Is that still determined by the toggle for preferring UserID or Character Name?

It's all about YOUR option in the setting as to what you see in the chat window, well on consoles that is anyway. If you have it set to char names you will see the char names in chat window. The game also puts a small head icon next to the name just to remind you that it is char name and not account name, took me a while to figure out what that icon meant.
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Character Name
    Paulytnz wrote: »
    I'm curious now how having nameplates toggled off affects the name we see in the chat window. Is that still determined by the toggle for preferring UserID or Character Name?

It's all about YOUR option in the setting as to what you see in the chat window, well on consoles that is anyway. If you have it set to char names you will see the char names in chat window. The game also puts a small head icon next to the name just to remind you that it is char name and not account name, took me a while to figure out what that icon meant.

I don't have a head icon in the chat window on PC. That must be a console thing.
    Edited by SilverBride on November 2, 2022 4:10PM
    PCNA