The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Do you show UserID or Character Name in Nameplates?

SilverBride
SilverBride
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
I want so badly to be able to show both in the Nameplates but that is not possible at this time. I go back and forth between which name I prefer and I wondered what others choose.
PCNA

Do you show UserID or Character Name in Nameplates? 192 votes

UserID
45%
aleksandr_ESODeathStalkeracastanza_ESOSuddwrathck37090alenae1b14_ESOCyberOnEsoOminerApoAlaiazariaSqcGroufQuietPanda_22SorakaKarminathevampDagoth_RacJKorrerdbeerheldN00BxV1redspecter23 88 votes
Character Name
54%
laurajfBlueRavenvailjohn_ESOGalentohopka_esodaryl.rasmusenb14_ESOGlassHalfFullRedTalonSmaxxValvekwisatzMuizerSpell-Slingerdanno8Lauranaephaneub17_ESOMalthorneSaint-AngeNettleCarrierSilverBride 104 votes
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Character Name
    I usually show character name but now and then try out UserID for awhile. But I always end up changing it back.
    PCNA
  • BenTSG
    BenTSG
    ✭✭✭✭
    Character Name
    I prefer seeing the Character name primarily in the world, feels a little more immersive to me that way, more so when people give their characters nice outfits! I do use both ID and character name in the chat box though, otherwise makes it a pain to know who's who in the guilds!
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Character Name
    BenTSG wrote: »
    I prefer seeing the Character name primarily in the world, feels a little more immersive to me that way, more so when people give their characters nice outfits! I do use both ID and character name in the chat box though, otherwise makes it a pain to know who's who in the guilds!

I assume you are using an add-on to do that.
    PCNA
  • BenTSG
    BenTSG
    ✭✭✭✭
    Character Name
    BenTSG wrote: »

I assume you are using an add-on to do that.

To show both ID and character name in the chat box? Yes, that would be the pChat add-on. Lots of customisation. Been using it so long I have actually forgotten how the default chat box is like now.
  • Hapexamendios
    Hapexamendios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    UserID
    Always ID. I don't know the names of my friends characters.
  • bmnoble
    bmnoble
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Character Name
    I usually leave it on character names can't stand looking around and seeing everyone's @names everywhere.

Feels slightly more immersive that way nothing that can be done about all the character names that look like they were picked by having a cat walk across a keyboard though.

Only time I switch to @names is if I am planning to sell/buy/craft stuff in zone chat.
  • AlexanderDeLarge
    AlexanderDeLarge
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    UserID
    I'd do character names if people were actually lore-friendly with them but most aren't and at that point there's no benefit to using character names. Just confusion.
    Difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 10 years. 7 paid expansions. 22 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including A Realm Reborn-tier overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver&Gold as a "you think you do but you don't"-tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the vast majority of this game.

"ESO doesn't need a harder overland" on YouTube for a video of a naked level 3 character AFKing in front of a bear for a minute and a half before dying
  • fizzylu
    fizzylu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    UserID
    I just find the UserID's easier to remember usually haha I would normally swap it over for RP events though, but that's about it. In any other situation I definitely prefer the UserID's.
  • Varana
    Varana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    UserID
    I use nameplates only for people that I'm in a group with.

For others, my UI addon shows me @name, character name, and title under their health bar when pointing the cursor at them.
    In chat, @name.
    Nameplates while in general overland or in town are unnecessary and way too much visual clutter.
    Edited by Varana on October 31, 2022 9:11AM
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't use nameplates at all. When they were added to the game I set up a keybinding to turn them on and off, but I can't remember ever having a reason to turn them on.

I have the target frame set to show only the character name, and chat set to show character name except in guilds where it's account name, but I think it's addons doing that rather than base game options.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • GOAT4EVAR
    GOAT4EVAR
    ✭✭✭
    Character Name
    Ngl i dont see a point in having a character name in the first place if only your UserID is shown
  • emilyhyoyeon
    emilyhyoyeon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Character Name
    Character names can be immersive when lore friendly or lore appropriate but ID names are inherently not so I always have character nameplates or nameplates turned off.
    IGN @ emilypumpkin
    Zirasia Firemaker, imperial fire mage & sunbather _ Deebaba Soul-Weaver, argonian spirit minder & soul gem collector
    Tullanisse Starborne, altmer battlemage & ayleid researcher _ Qa'Rirra, khajiit assassin & dancer
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Character Name
    Character name; I have NO interest in seeing user IDs. Though right now I have nameplates off anyway.

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    UserID
    I have two accounts; 18 characters on the main one, 7 on the alt one. I don't expect any of my guildmates to keep track of all my character names.
  • Olauron
    Olauron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are nameplates different from the UI part that is shown when you are looking at another player character (or NPC) with the crosshair? Because the latter shows both, as far as I remember (and you can select what would be primary and what would be secondary).
    The Three Storm Sharks, episode 8 released on january the 8th.
    One mer to rule them all,
    one mer to find them,
    One mer to bring them all
    and in the darkness bind them.
  • fizl101
    fizl101
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    UserID
    I turn off nameplates apart from exceptional circumstances, but when looking at someone I always focus on their ID not their character name. Apart from a few memorable names, I wouldn't have a clue of the majority of my guild friends characters names, but I do know their PSN ID
    Soupy twist
  • Cazador
    Cazador
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    UserID
    I prefer having character names on but it's a little odd to call people by names other than their player id so I usually leave it set to player Id.
  • boi_anachronism_
    boi_anachronism_
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    UserID
    Easier for team members to recognize in raids.
  • metheglyn
    metheglyn
    ✭✭✭✭
    Character Name
    I have nameplates turned off, but in chat I see the character name. I prefer to see character names rather than userID.
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Character Name
    Character name, I can already read their userID by putting my crosshairs on them.
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Character Name
    Olauron wrote: »
    Are nameplates different from the UI part that is shown when you are looking at another player character (or NPC) with the crosshair? Because the latter shows both, as far as I remember (and you can select what would be primary and what would be secondary).

Yes, the nameplate is always visible above the player and we do not need to mouse over them to see it, if we have nameplates enabled.

Vevvev wrote: »
    Character name, I can already read their userID by putting my crosshairs on them.

The problem with that is we have to put our crosshairs over the player which isn't easy to do if they are standing in a crowd or moving around.

I'd love if we could choose "both" and have it display as Character@UserID if we wish.
    Edited by SilverBride on October 31, 2022 7:19PM
    PCNA
  • whitecrow
    whitecrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Character Name
    I don't use them but if I did I would use character name, after all this is an RPG.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Character Name
    nameplates i do character name

group menu is character name by default as well, with a user ID on hover

i use pchat to change whats in the chat though, for zone chat i prefer character names, but for guilds i prefer the user ID because that makes more sense
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • Olauron
    Olauron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Olauron wrote: »

Yes, the nameplate is always visible above the player and we do not need to mouse over them to see it, if we have nameplates enabled.
    I see, thanks.
    I don't use them at all (I prefer as clear gaming screen as possible).
    The Three Storm Sharks, episode 8 released on january the 8th.
    One mer to rule them all,
    one mer to find them,
    One mer to bring them all
    and in the darkness bind them.
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Character Name
    whitecrow wrote: »
    I don't use them but if I did I would use character name, after all this is an RPG.

I'm curious now how having nameplates toggled off affects the name we see in the chat window. Is that still determined by the toggle for preferring UserID or Character Name?
    PCNA
  • Kingsindarkness
    Kingsindarkness
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Character Name
    Character name I have had issues with userid and creepers following you around in-game.

Edited by Kingsindarkness on October 31, 2022 5:11PM
  • AzuraFan
    AzuraFan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have nameplates turned off. I've tried them and they just get in the way. Too many, especially in a town.
  • ClevaTreva
    ClevaTreva
    ✭✭✭
    Nameplates ruin immersion for me. I don't use them at all.
  • Jack-0
    Jack-0
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Character Name
    I play with a lovely bunch of people and I like to see their character names, it doesn't take long to learn who's who when you're playing with the same groups quite frequently, and also some of them put a lot of effort into their individual character names.

I was quite taken aback when I first started ESO that my *account name* is visible to other players, in older MMOs like UO no one would ever know your account name, just the names of your characters.
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Character Name
    Character name I have had issues with userid and creepers following you around in-game.

The one we choose only affects what we see. Other players who choose to display UserID will still see everyone's UserID regardless of what those players have chosen for themselves.
    PCNA