The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

I am so confused...

me_ming
me_ming
✭✭✭✭✭
As a returning player, this game has become so confusing. I've been reading articles and watching videos about builds. And it has been so confusing and overwhelming. This whole hybridization thing is just so implemented so poorly. From someone who played before this whole hybrid thing, nothing makes sense to me. Just makes me want to stop playing again. It's frustrating enough to comeback to the game and update your gear and skills and whatever attributes you need to update, but to understand why you are wearing something or what and why you are wearing an armor or using a weapon, it just makes returning a tedious at best, and a struggle at worse. This game is really not for returning players.
"We're heroes, my boon companion, and heroes always win! Let that be a lesson to you."
-Caldwell, "The Final Assault"

"There is always a choice. But you don't get to choose what is true, you only get to choose what you will do about it..."

-Abnur Tharn, "God of Schemes"]
  • Stanx
    Stanx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry you're struggling. I think if you could give some examples of what exactly your struggling with there's a chance some people might be able to shine a light on them for you?
  • me_ming
    me_ming
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stanx wrote: »
    Sorry you're struggling. I think if you could give some examples of what exactly your struggling with there's a chance some people might be able to shine a light on them for you?

Thanks for the empathy. I actually did. I've asked guildies questions, even posted a question here in the forums under Player helping Player, but it seems to me, most people just follow a youtuber's or streamer's build without even understanding anything, because so far most replies I get is either "google it" or "check 'x' person's builds or website".

When I was actively playing this game in the past I understood why I was building something. I understood why on my magicka dps toons it's better to have more Max Magicka than Spell Dmg. Or on my healer I understood what situations or scenarios when Cost Reduction is better than Recovery. Now with this hybrid thing happening, nothing is making sense to me. One question I was asking people for a while was "If there is a way when Spell Crit Rating and Weapon Crit Rating can be higher than the other", but people don't seem to know the answer to that. I later learned that they won't be changing unless I drink a potion. That was the only way now when you one can be higher than the other.

Anyways, I know this post is a rant, but honestly, I'm just too frustrated at this game. I came back thinking I could just update my gear or skills, maybe respec a bit, farm and grind some skills that are OP at the moment. But to come back with all these information that no one really seems to understand, and force me to play a style I am not into, I don't understand why ZoS would think this can be appealing to people returning. I DON'T want to play a hybrid build on my characters that are spec'd for magicka or stam. How is these playing what I want, when the game is forcing me to play a 2h mage?
    "We're heroes, my boon companion, and heroes always win! Let that be a lesson to you."

"There is always a choice. But you don't get to choose what is true, you only get to choose what you will do about it..."

• Sarannah
    Sarannah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    You are looking WAY too deep into things. Just forget all of that.

The best thing to do when returning to a game, is to start a new character and completely relearn the game. Jumping back into the endgame when you do not know what you are doing(yet), is never a good idea. Just put on some skills you like, maybe research or find some gear you would want to wear, and re-start from there. After you relearn the game, you will be able to update and play your old characters without too much trouble again. (I did the same thing after I left for a few years)

The game is a lot of fun, very solid, and has had quite a bit of new content(Depending on when you left). Goodluck!
  • Lucozade85
    Lucozade85
    ✭✭✭
    The game was so much better without all the hybridization.
  • me_ming
    me_ming
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lucozade85 wrote: »
    The game was so much better without all the hybridization.

Honestly, when hybridization was still something that was just being talked about, I was all for it. I wanted to make a character that uses both magicka and stam (health) even. I wanted to have a healer that used stamina for healing. That is why I was excited for the warden class when I learned that they had a stamina-based healing. But I don't like how they handled it. I don't like that the only way for me to be effective is to follow one build.

• SPR_of_HA_community
    SPR_of_HA_community
    ✭✭✭✭
    Do not like hybridisation too. They make LA builds even more OP, doubling their regens (they can use both resources now)

The same time they nerf to the ground HA builds in PVE and PVP, saying about some mistic love.

Now HA builds do less HA damage than META builds on HA.

They even nerf HA of lifhtning staffs.

So yes, they change a lot and game becomes not interesting to play.
  • Snamyap
    Snamyap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm happy with hybridisation, gives me more options. Besides there is nothing stopping you from doing an old-fashioned single stat build. Except for Molten Whip, that's just a bad idea, if they wanted to experiment with dual resources they should have used a non-class skill imho.
  • me_ming
    me_ming
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Snamyap wrote: »
    I'm happy with hybridisation, gives me more options. Besides there is nothing stopping you from doing an old-fashioned single stat build. Except for Molten Whip, that's just a bad idea, if they wanted to experiment with dual resources they should have used a non-class skill imho.

I really want to know what options are you talking about? I'm not being sarcastic. I'm honestly seriously curious.

• SPR_of_HA_community
    SPR_of_HA_community
    ✭✭✭✭

HA builds were in game long time, A lot of HA players played it starting from 2017+ years.

And big DPS, sets, weapons nerf and 2 times DPS nerf in PVP - is may be some thing that really stopping ? )

The same time for other builds their DPS just be lower and they will not be velcome in groups.

So it is questionable.

Game had set that do the same hybridisation of stats. Now hybrids are just better.

But ... no one expects balance in this game after they start rework everything - starting from race passives 2 years ago.

A lot of exp players already leave the project, others do not care much about combat at all.

Just looking on how templars skill was nerfed ... well cosplay some thing like bathing or toilet cleaning with new jabs is unique content you will not find anywhere else ;)

So ... game will be playable in some different way anyways )))

So bathing emotions, plunger - and this game will have better unique combat system that it already had )))
    Edited by SPR_of_HA_community on October 31, 2022 11:57AM
  • Snamyap
    Snamyap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    me_ming wrote: »

I really want to know what options are you talking about? I'm not being sarcastic. I'm honestly seriously curious.

I used to play stamina focused characters, I now can use magicka skills that do competitive damage. For instance I switched from Ambush to Lotus Fan. I rather have the area DoT and minor vulnerability than empower and minor berserk.

P.S. I'm using Oakensoul and build to solo dungeons.
    Edited by Snamyap on October 31, 2022 11:59AM
  • me_ming
    me_ming
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I used to play stamina focused characters, I now can use magicka skills that do competitive damage. For instance I switched from Ambush to Lotus Fan. I rather have the area DoT and minor vulnerability than empower and minor berserk.

P.S. I'm using Oakensoul and build to solo dungeons.

Are you talking about PvP? I suppose in PvP it adds diversity in builds. Then again even before PvP builds have been more flexible than PvE's. So yeah, I can see how that can be better for PvP.

Also, I don't mind at all solo builds and being able to solo some content for this game. I, in fact, am not very reliant to my guildmates. I prefer queue for my pledges, than asking guild mates. I prefer soloing in PvP, than zerging. I like to be self reliant. But I also don't want everything on this game to be soloed, this is an MMO after all, right?

• dmnqwk
    dmnqwk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hybridization, what is it?

At the heart of it's the option to use any skill you fancy, regardless of your focus on magicka or stamina

Take Barbed Trap In the olden days, days gone by, this was a stamina skill for stamina people. Now, it'a skill that anybody can use. You're no longer forced to farm the Psijic skill line for Channeled Acceleration but are free to pick the source of minor force you feel is best for your playstyle.
    Of course, it now means if you want the highest damages per second it's trap down or big frown.

If you want to be a Magicka only player, only using Magicka abilities - that's your perogative. There's nothing forcing you to play efficiently and use the other resource for free recovery. Nobody says you must be a DW/2h melee-based caster now.

But you have the option to do so now.

Stamina or Magicka?
    There are still some differences between the two - one major example is Executes and AoE.

Nightblades - You're going to be forced into melee if you want to be a Nightblade, but not permanently. Both Mag and Stam options for executes and AoE means you're not going to struggle with either of them. Your spammable (the skill you use as a filler between dots) is strongest in melee (Concealed Weapon or Surprise Attack) but you can always be purely ranged with Siphon Soul.
    Sorcerers - Magicka has an execute and Stamina always has weapon executes so you're covered. You're a bit screwed as Magicka on AoE, but tbh since all sorcs really need to play pets atm for maximum damage, whatever you play for fun isn't going to be as strong. You also see a lot of Oakensoul Heavy attack sorcs out there atm.
    Dragonknight - Your aoe can be either and there's no execute for the classes, but you're realistically playing the same whichever you pick. Stamina builds can use a different spammable but doing so is just button bloat over whip.
    Warden - Magicka wardens still suck. Stamina wardens suck less because whirling blades fills in their gap of no class-based aoe.
    Templar - Jabs is still powerful, but most templar players hate the new animation. Magicka or Stamina works here but, you're in melee anyhow unless you want to give up damage by trading a 14k spammable for an 8k one.
    Necromancer - Both Stamina and Magicka use the same blastbones and avid boneyard and stamina skeleton archer so... whichever you pick, it's the same pretty much.

So with the hybrid feeling, some classes no longer have differences between Magicka and Stamina if they want to deal the highest damage - but dont let that stop you pulling 30k dps to have fun instead of 50k dps using the best build and gear.

• jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As someone who has been running the same build since Sunspire launched, for solo content, soloing dungeons, and non-serious trial runs, hybridization is really only important if you are trying to maximize DPS. Builds from 3-4 years ago are still viable now for most content. You aren't going to be score pushing or anything with them, but there is no need to even remotely worry about hybridization if you are just returning to the game.
    Edited by jaws343 on October 31, 2022 12:26PM
  • me_ming
    me_ming
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    dmnqwk wrote: »

At the heart of it's the option to use any skill you fancy, regardless of your focus on magicka or stamina

Take Barbed Trap In the olden days, days gone by, this was a stamina skill for stamina people. Now, it'a skill that anybody can use. You're no longer forced to farm the Psijic skill line for Channeled Acceleration but are free to pick the source of minor force you feel is best for your playstyle.
    Of course, it now means if you want the highest damages per second it's trap down or big frown.

If you want to be a Magicka only player, only using Magicka abilities - that's your perogative. There's nothing forcing you to play efficiently and use the other resource for free recovery. Nobody says you must be a DW/2h melee-based caster now.

Stamina or Magicka?
    There are still some differences between the two - one major example is Executes and AoE.

Nightblades - You're going to be forced into melee if you want to be a Nightblade, but not permanently. Both Mag and Stam options for executes and AoE means you're not going to struggle with either of them. Your spammable (the skill you use as a filler between dots) is strongest in melee (Concealed Weapon or Surprise Attack) but you can always be purely ranged with Siphon Soul.
    Sorcerers - Magicka has an execute and Stamina always has weapon executes so you're covered. You're a bit screwed as Magicka on AoE, but tbh since all sorcs really need to play pets atm for maximum damage, whatever you play for fun isn't going to be as strong. You also see a lot of Oakensoul Heavy attack sorcs out there atm.
    Dragonknight - Your aoe can be either and there's no execute for the classes, but you're realistically playing the same whichever you pick. Stamina builds can use a different spammable but doing so is just button bloat over whip.
    Warden - Magicka wardens still suck. Stamina wardens suck less because whirling blades fills in their gap of no class-based aoe.
    Templar - Jabs is still powerful, but most templar players hate the new animation. Magicka or Stamina works here but, you're in melee anyhow unless you want to give up damage by trading a 14k spammable for an 8k one.
    Necromancer - Both Stamina and Magicka use the same blastbones and avid boneyard and stamina skeleton archer so... whichever you pick, it's the same pretty much.

So with the hybrid feeling, some classes no longer have differences between Magicka and Stamina if they want to deal the highest damage - but dont let that stop you pulling 30k dps to have fun instead of 50k dps using the best build and gear.

1. I know what Hybridization means. See this is the problem with people I've been asking about hybridization. They tend to give me an explanation of what hybrid builds mean, when what I'm asking is why I am forced to be a hybrid when I don't want too.

2. I was never a fan of mediocrity. So don't tell me no one is telling me to play efficiently, because I know no one is. But I want too. I find running normal dungeons and trials not challenging at all. Especially when they are nothing but glorified public dungeons. So where is my choice to play efficiently without being a hybrid?

3. Magicka-based toons have been using Trap even before Channeled Acceleration, and even with Channeled Acceleration, people were still using Trap, I, for one was still using it in some of my magicka builds.

4. Also people were pulling lower DPS before because they didn't know how to weave. Believe me, I've been in circles with all those classes who parsed no less than or at least close to 80k DPS. Just wanted to say though, especially with the Templar's Jabs/Sweeps, 1.) if you're a stamplar you WILL be melee regardless. Unless you prefer using bows. So are you telling me now, stamplars are running around using staves? No! They're still in melee. As for magicka-templars who are using sweeps, sweeps has heal and damage, I prefer using sweeps on my magicka templar, and I don't have problems being melee, because I can heal whilst I do damage. Before if you really want to be ranged you can use Force Pulse or the one from Psijic Order that buffs your LA (forgot the name) and still hit high dps. Now you can't do that. Also Magicka DKs have been playing that class without execute since launch and were still efficient. A lot of end game players (while they complained that they didn't have an execute ability) were hitting high numbers as a magicka DK. Like I said, the only problem before was that people didn't know how to weave properly. That's why they were hitting lower DPS. It had nothing to do with you not being able to use an execute because you're a magDK. Mag Sorcs had an execute but soon after Morrowind DLC, no one was using Mage's Wrath. So for a very long time, MagSorcs weren't even using their executes.
    Edited by me_ming on October 31, 2022 12:59PM

• dmnqwk
    dmnqwk
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Stamina or Magicka?

1. I know what Hybridization means. See this is the problem with people I've been asking about hybridization. They tend to give me an explanation of what hybrid builds mean, when what I'm asking is why I am forced to be a hybrid when I don't want too.

2. I was never a fan of mediocrity. So don't tell me no one is telling me to play efficiently, because I know no one is. But I want too. I find running normal dungeons and trials not challenging at all. Especially when they are nothing but glorified public dungeons. So where is my choice to play efficiently without being a hybrid?

3. Magicka-based toons have been using Trap even before Channeled Acceleration, and even with Channeled Acceleration, people were still using Trap, I, for one was still using it in some of my magicka builds.

4. Also people were pulling lower DPS before because they didn't know how to weave. Believe me, I've been in circles with all those classes who parsed no less than or at least close to 80k DPS. Just wanted to say though, especially with the Templar's Jabs/Sweeps, 1.) if you're a stamplar you WILL be melee regardless. Unless you prefer using bows. So are you telling me now, stamplars are running around using staves? No! They're still in melee. As for magicka-templars who are using sweeps, sweeps has heal and damage, I prefer using sweeps on my magicka templar, and I don't have problems being melee, because I can heal whilst I do damage. Before if you really want to be ranged you can use Force Pulse or the one from Psijic Order that buffs your LA (forgot the name) and still hit high dps. Now you can't do that. Also Magicka DKs have been playing that class without execute since launch and were still efficient. A lot of end game players (while they complained that they didn't have an execute ability) were hitting high numbers as a magicka DK. Like I said, the only problem before was that people didn't know how to weave properly. That's why they were hitting lower DPS. It had nothing to do with you not being able to use an execute because you're a magDK. Mag Sorcs had an execute but soon after Morrowind DLC, no one was using Mage's Wrath. So for a very long time, MagSorcs weren't even using their executes.

I am now confused as to your point.

You have said that you don't understand hybridization, that you do know what it is, that you don't want to do it AND that you've done it for ages (barbed trap on a Magicka char = hybridization).

Are you angry/frustrated/exasperated by them no longer forcing you to use a weaker barbed trap because your stamina pool is smaller than your magicka pool? By adding abilities to scale off the best option it has opened you up to what already existed - the option to use abilities from both resources. It just stopped some options being weaker than before, thus changing the best options.

Every character in this game has always been a hybrid. There is no class, there is no structure forcing you to only spend magicka. It's always been like that. The difference in the past, however, was fewer reasons to do so. So nothing has changed except the numbers of abilities, and as you know already, they change constantly anyway.

Hybridization isn't new, always existed. All that changed is how the damage/healing is calculated. So if you don't like mediocrity, then you've always 100% been a hybrid whether you admitted to it or not.
  • SPR_of_HA_community
    SPR_of_HA_community
    ✭✭✭✭
    Build craft was killed.

All builds are just the same.

Combat system ... is really bad and pure in this game.

So it is now just like some old mmo game with bad balance and combat system or even worse, because you can use 20+ skills there.

They just kill all good that was in combat part of the game and they start to do it 2+ years ago with change of race passives.

They ruined good CP system with new, that is not any better. Each skills change looks unnecessary and can not be undestandable by normal human logick.

So do not care to much, only casuals play this game now ;) Nothing changed in combat part of the game matters.
  • me_ming
    me_ming
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You have said that you don't understand hybridization, that you do know what it is, that you don't want to do it AND that you've done it for ages (barbed trap on a Magicka char = hybridization).

Are you angry/frustrated/exasperated by them no longer forcing you to use a weaker barbed trap because your stamina pool is smaller than your magicka pool? By adding abilities to scale off the best option it has opened you up to what already existed - the option to use abilities from both resources. It just stopped some options being weaker than before, thus changing the best options.

Every character in this game has always been a hybrid. There is no class, there is no structure forcing you to only spend magicka. It's always been like that. The difference in the past, however, was fewer reasons to do so. So nothing has changed except the numbers of abilities, and as you know already, they change constantly anyway.

Hybridization isn't new, always existed. All that changed is how the damage/healing is calculated. So if you don't like mediocrity, then you've always 100% been a hybrid whether you admitted to it or not.

The one I bolded out. That's where you are very wrong. Before there were NO stamina morphs on most class abilities, Jabs for example, it's was not a stamina skill, it was still magicka when you morphed it. They changed that, and that's fine with me, more options for stamina builds. So Hybridization IS NEW.

I never said I don't understand hybridization. You didn't know why it was beneficial to use trap, even if it was a stamina based ability? It was used mainly for Minor Force, that's it. If you took out Minor Force of that skill, I guarantee you people will take it out their bars. It was and IS not used because of it's damage.

I never had hybrid characters before, just because I used one skill that was based off stamina, doesn't make my build, it means I need that for a buff.

I wanted hybrid builds, yes, but I wanted it to be a third option, so you can choose to be either stamina, magicka or both. Not THE only way to go. How can I be optimized using a staff, when stamped will always exceed wall of elements? Or the passive from DW will always be a better option for crit chance? it's not a choice anymore is it? Why am I forced to use melee weapons when on some of my toons I don't want to use a melee weapon?
    Edited by me_ming on October 31, 2022 8:51PM

• Marto
    Marto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're reading way too much into it.

Pre-hybridization builds still work. They function almost the same way they did before the update. Most of them probably function even better.

All it does is open the door to slotting more varied skills, focusing on their effects, rather than the resource they spend.

You can now use Mage's Wrath on a stamina sorcerer, providing them with a good long range execute.
    You can use Vigor on a magicka build, since it's one of the best self-heals in the game.
    If you were using trap beast on a magicka build, the damage is now pretty substantial.
    Stamina Templars can use Breath of Life for a good instant heal.
    Magicka Necromancers can take advantage of their DoT passive and slot the Dual Wield ultimate.

Things like that.
    "According to the calculations of the sages of the Cult of the Ancestor Moth, the batam guar is the cutest creature in all Tamriel"
  • Myrddin1357
    Myrddin1357
    ✭✭✭

The one I bolded out. That's where you are very wrong. Before there were NO stamina morphs on most class abilities, Jabs for example, it's was not a stamina skill, it was still magicka when you morphed it. They changed that, and that's fine with me, more options for stamina builds. So Hybridization IS NEW.

I never said I don't understand hybridization. You didn't know why it was beneficial to use trap, even if it was a stamina based ability? It was used mainly for Minor Force, that's it. If you took out Minor Force of that skill, I guarantee you people will take it out their bars. It was and IS not used because of it's damage.

I never had hybrid characters before, just because I used one skill that was based off stamina, doesn't make my build, it means I need that for a buff.

I wanted hybrid builds, yes, but I wanted it to be a third option, so you can choose to be either stamina, magicka or both. Not THE only way to go. How can I be optimized using a staff, when stamped will always exceed wall of elements? Or the passive from DW will always be a better option for crit chance? it's not a choice anymore is it? Why am I forced to use melee weapons when on some of my toons I don't want to use a melee weapon?

Hybridization is still an ongoing project for ZOS. I don't know if and when they will complete it, but some things like the weapon and spell critical issue you mentioned are somewhat messy now and not clear.

You are not forced into anything. You can still use two fire staves and use only magicka skills if you want and do just fine. You may not be able to hit the current absolute meta but we are talking about a meta of 125K+ dps on the trial dummy. Not using two hander and daggers may mean you hit 120K instead of 125K. There isn't a single piece of content you cannot complete by choosing staves that you would have been able to complete just by switching to melee weapons on magicka characters. The choice is still yours. If you want to set world records and be the best dps on the leaderboards, then yes, you are forced into a certain setup. But that was always the case - meta changes all the time and if you want to be meta at any given point you are forced into a specific combination.

• me_ming
    me_ming
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Hybridization is still an ongoing project for ZOS. I don't know if and when they will complete it, but some things like the weapon and spell critical issue you mentioned are somewhat messy now and not clear.

You are not forced into anything. You can still use two fire staves and use only magicka skills if you want and do just fine. You may not be able to hit the current absolute meta but we are talking about a meta of 125K+ dps on the trial dummy. Not using two hander and daggers may mean you hit 120K instead of 125K. There isn't a single piece of content you cannot complete by choosing staves that you would have been able to complete just by switching to melee weapons on magicka characters. The choice is still yours. If you want to set world records and be the best dps on the leaderboards, then yes, you are forced into a certain setup. But that was always the case - meta changes all the time and if you want to be meta at any given point you are forced into a specific combination.

I know that you can complete content with previous gear. It's not a question of completing content for me. it's a question of being competitive. So yeah, I AM someone who wants to push for scores and someone who was used to be in the Leaderboards consistently. So that's where my frustration is coming from. I really hope they fix hybridization, because like I said, I am not against it, I am for hybrid builds, but what I don't want is for it to be THE only build you can do. That is something I will never wrap my head around.