The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

12 Things ZoS Could Have Done Instead of U35

TheBaronXIII
TheBaronXIII
✭✭
Most of us agree, update 35 is a hot mess. It’s made rotations more complicated for a few classes and builds. Nerfed some classes DPS to oblivion. As well as made old veteran content harder for a few classes and builds—which to me seems counter intuitive. If I have spent this much time leveling my character and invested that time farming the best gear, practicing, etc. than why is content I had conquered successfully now more difficult? What would be my motivation to login and continue? To level new skills and get different gear, just to have it all change once again for what reason again? Cause I am managing and watching timers WAY more now.

Even if you are one of those people who annoyingly love to brag about how it didn’t change anything for you, or just adjust, or get gud, QQ crowd. You biggest counter is that it didn’t change anything. So what was the point? Why waste all that time, when you could have done so many other things to bring players back and entice new ones to join?

So, let’s get constructive. I am not an expert at the game mechanics like so many of you are, so I won’t pretend. I have read some amazing posts about how U35 could have been improved. Truly insightful stuff and this community really knows this game, I’d argue much better than ZoS executives, not the devs or creatives, who I don’t feel are responsible for this giant blunder. The executive who makes decisions are, they call the shots. Maybe they do not have time to play the game or interact with the community and therefore are making decisions based on faulty data, spreadsheets, etc. I’ve seen it at my old place of employment.

My suggestion is to ditch U35. Scrap it. Leave the game as is for a bit longer and shift focus to things that will get people to stay and get new subscribers. While also making more of a concentrated effort to diversify the game. Currently as it stands, the game is severely lacking in diversity, and I will explain further with the ideas I think would be of more value to the game to address. At least they would to me. I think to a lot of people, but I digress.

Here they are:

- Fix all the known frustrating bugs. Example: The Wayrest Sewer door. You could either let players open the door no matter what is aggroed after the boss dies, or create an NPC, like some old tramp hanging out, that let’s players know to go kill the angry alligators so the dang doors open. For the longest time I had no idea it wouldn’t open because the alligators in the previous room got aggroed. And no one in PuGs even thinks to do that.

- Diversify pet skins. Yeah, I play a Warden, and while I love my bear, I find it a bit immersion breaking that literally every Warden has the same bear. Let us have a bit more control over our characters, let us feel like we have some influence on our toons and can set ourselves apart and add our own style and choice to our toons. Wouldn’t it be great if you could unlock skins of the Wild Guardian with quests, dungeons, and even through the crown store? There is an endless level of non-combat pets. Why not skins for Sorcs and Warden’s pets? A bratty Banekin, a Snowy White Wolf. It would be truly awesome!

- Diversify racials. As I said before, the game lacks diversity in endgame. Everyone is either an Orc, High Elf, Dark Elf, or Khajit. Because the racials are grossly unbalanced. The meta pushes for a game that severely lacks diversity in end game. Everyone has the same weapons, the same generic skills. Granted, balancing a game is hard and its obvious ZoS struggles with that given u35. But you could start small. Racials need an overhaul. Each race should have one combat racial that improves damage. Nords could have bonus damage with 2 handers and axes. Wood elves get a bonus to damage with bows, Dark Elves with daggers, etc. Then, a bonus to resources. Nords have more stam, Redgaurd’s have their stem regen, Bretins keep their magika bonus, etc. Then a racial for crafting, Orcs use less mats for armor, etc. Then a racial that like the argonians swimming. Finally a racial for defense. Dark elves have fire resistance, nords col, etc. An offensive bonus, a defensive bonus, a crafting bonus, a resource bonus, and a unique bonus that does not affect combat but is fun and sets them apart. For every race.

- Diversify morphs. Currently morphs feel identical. Whether its magika or stam, it’s hard to tell the difference they are so similar, especially for Necros and Wardens. This too needs an overhaul. Not necessarily with the damage they do, but with how they look and feel. Stalking blast bones for instance; Magika could stay as is, whereas stamina could be that you raise up a cloud of pestilence. Basically, magika necro spells focus on raising the dead, while stamina focus more on diseases. Think of the four horsemen of the apocalypse. Stam is pestilents, and Magika is death. The Warden could have two very different kinds of guardians. The DPS bear (with access to skins!) and a magical Raven. The raven does magical damage, maybe a CC or returns some health or other resource back to the Warden. But, even if it kept its same function, you could just change the look and feel so it feels different, and the choice feels unique and diverse. Same with Shalks, like, really, it’s just bugs, but the magika version could feel like ice shards. Or another way to approach it could be to take all the stamina abilities and make them feel like nature and beasts and the magika could be ice centered. The DK is super fire guy, why not a magika warden super ice gal?

- Diversify weapons. Everyone at one time was using destroy staves. Now it’s dual wield daggers. This needs to be reexamined and overhauled. It would be better if weapons were similar in function and different in look. But better more astute players could have way more insight here. You can definitely achieve this by adding in better racials as well as giving some buffs to weapons. It was really sad that my Wood Elf Warden was so lackluster with their bow. Let them pew pew harder!

- New skill lines. Unarmed—Lets have monks! Illusion magic. Why is that not a thing in in ESO? It’s a thing in literally every ES game. As well as Alteration, conjuration, and thu’um are all missing from ESO. Granted this is a much bigger undertaking, but still better time spent than u35 or any other updates. You really had the game in a strong place before u35.

- Adding new weapons like Halberds, spears, crossbows, flails, etc. They can all be categorized under 1 hander, ranged, 2 hander, etc.

- Cloaks! How does a fantasy game not have cloaks? That would be a lot of work but think about how much work went into u35 and every hates it. No one hates cloaks! They can have additional stats that don’t necessarily affect combat in case there is a concern about balance. Maybe they help with stealth, or running faster, or bonuses to defense. Maybe they teleport you places for free. Some can just be cosmetic because Human Rangers would just look cooler with cloaks! So would Khajit thieves. Some could provide cool auras that set you apart from the crowd.

- Hiding armor. It’s great that we can hide helms. Some of my outfit designs call for no shoulder armor. I know I am not alone. Let us hide more pieces of armor! At least shoulders. I don’t want my wood elf to look like a freaking NFL linebacker.

- Companions lack diversity. It’s a bit immersion breaking to see a bunch of Bastions running around. I’ll be in a marketplace and run into all the other octuplets. . . I know ZoS is proud of their companions and character designs. But here is the thing—you don’t make a game for yourself, you make it for an entire community and frankly, we don’t care about Bastion’s face. Well, some of us do, and a lot of us don’t. It gets old seeing his face over and over and over again, as well as all the other companions. Let us put helmets on them, especially Bastions annoying stupid face. Because I want to be able to customize my experience as much as possible. Also, can we just shut him up completely? If he asks me one more time what I am going to make with that I am gonna punch his face.

- Pathing. I would give my kingdom for the ability to not get caught up on a freaking twig when fighting an overland boss. MY KINGDOM. Sometimes the pathing is so freaking bad. My character lacks the ability to step over a pebble. Really? He is a giant 6’8” nord, who is taken down the Maelstrom Arena in Veteran, but he cannot for the life of him step over a twig. . .

- New races! After race balancing, cause again, those racials are just beyond comprehension. So bad. It’s like you prefer certain races over another. . . Racism in a fantasy game. . . But new races would be cool, or just one, special unlockable. Like Half Giants. I am tall, I like to play tall characters, I want to be as tall as Lyris! She is so cool.

Just some creative brainstorming around ideas I think would have been better time spent than U35. Because it’s time to just admit failure and be honest with the community. ZoS messed this one up. Take the L, own up to it, apologize even, the community will thank you, appreciate you, respect you, and might not go back to FF14, Wrath Classic, or any other game.

I’d be interested in hearing all the creative ideas the community would have as well. This is a list of things I have been thinking about since I started playing. I used to work in gaming and am a creative who still works in the creative field, so my ideas are more on the creative side of things, that’s my expertise. However, I am sure there are plenty of mechanics experts that have great ideas for improving combat and balance. I just stick with what I know.
  • AvalonRanger
    AvalonRanger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They must fix fake role problem before U35... mostly.
    My playing time Mon-Friday UTC13:00-16:00 [PC-NA] CP over2000 now.
    I have [1Tough tank] [1StamSorc-DD] [1Necro-DD] [1Real Healer]
    But, I'm Tank main player. Recently I'm doing Healer.

2023/12/21
    By the way...Dungeon-Meshi(One of Famous Japanese fantasy story comic book) got finale...
    Good-bye "King of Monster Eater".
  • Riptide
    Riptide
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’d be interested in hearing all the creative ideas the community would have as well

Better use of time than U35:
    [SNIP]

within ESO:

1. Finish Hybridization
    2. Remove transmute stones from random dugeons and source them from something that won’t create obnoxious problems
    3. Add more console QoL features
    4. Work on a new class
    5. Make non group member’s companion visibility a toggle
    6. Same for non combat pets
    7. Balance obnoxious sets in PVP
    8. Add a veteran overland mode
    9. Add a weaving tutorial
    10. Create endeavors around blocking, dodge rolling, and bashing to encourage their practice and use

The list is, again, almost endless.

Edited In accordance to the community-rules Trolling or Baiting
    Edited by ZOS_Suserial on August 31, 2022 7:55PM
    Esse quam videri.
  • AvalonRanger
    AvalonRanger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. Fix most of critical bugs. (for example. "dungeon door malfunction" )

2. Fix fake role cheating problem. Add more optional flag switch for the group finder.
    >Accept fake tank and healer? >Dungeon running purpose (speed run or Deep searchin)

3.Add Trial group finder.

4.Improve tutorial phase or bad game flow for all of grouping mission. Re-design terrible looking UI design.

5. Renewal dated action game design for all of it (Maybe ZOS doesn't have skill for this.)

6. Renewal cranky combat motion including new templar and dual wielding.

7. Consider better level design for the future contents.

8. Add more natural looking housing structure(roof, pillar, floor, stair). Don't need creepy stuff anymore.

Well, lots of work are waiting. But Non of those have done yet.
    My playing time Mon-Friday UTC13:00-16:00 [PC-NA] CP over2000 now.
    I have [1Tough tank] [1StamSorc-DD] [1Necro-DD] [1Real Healer]
    But, I'm Tank main player. Recently I'm doing Healer.

2023/12/21
    By the way...Dungeon-Meshi(One of Famous Japanese fantasy story comic book) got finale...
    Good-bye "King of Monster Eater".
  • Sandman929
    Sandman929
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let us mount even in combat, since being stuck in combat is a feature now.

They could have taken a pass at dozens of skills and dozens of dozens of sets that have no real reason for existence rather than breaking sets and skills that actually get used.

But, I'm a crazy dreamer, and that's not how they operate.
  • Athanas35
    Athanas35
    ✭✭
    Sandman929 wrote: »
    Let us mount even in combat, since being stuck in combat is a feature now.

This
    The past few days has been bad, Stuck in combat up to 10 minutes.
    Yesterday was stuck in combat over 15 minutes.

• Treselegant
    Treselegant
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Companions lack diversity. It’s a bit immersion breaking to see a bunch of Bastions running around. I’ll be in a marketplace and run into all the other octuplets. . . I know ZoS is proud of their companions and character designs. But here is the thing—you don’t make a game for yourself, you make it for an entire community and frankly, we don’t care about Bastion’s face. Well, some of us do, and a lot of us don’t. It gets old seeing his face over and over and over again, as well as all the other companions. Let us put helmets on them, especially Bastions annoying stupid face. Because I want to be able to customize my experience as much as possible. Also, can we just shut him up completely? If he asks me one more time what I am going to make with that I am gonna punch his face.

Or maybe, I don't know, use another companion. The option is there in the collection tab, where you can also put away your companion completely. It's an easy resolved issue.

However, as to your main point, yes, hoods and helmets are something that a lot of people want and I think that is a reasonable amount of customisation to expect. It's unlikely though that players will ever have complete control over their companions appearance as they are considered complete characters rather than blank templates for the player to edit to taste.

(edited for formatting and clarity).
    Edited by Treselegant on August 31, 2022 3:50AM
  • peacenote
    peacenote
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I really feel that "do nothing" should be on this list.

Releasing the new dungeons, combined with whatever QoL and fixes were in the patch notes (I saw someone get excited about transparent windows), and not doing any combat changes, would have been better.

I think it was U34 that had very few controversial changes and people were so grateful and happy. If you can't make it better, just keep analyzing data and thinking instead of making it worse...
    My #1 wish for ESO Today: Decouple achievements from character progress and tracking.
    • Advocate for this HERE.
    • Want the history of this issue? It's HERE.
  • GlassHalfFull
    GlassHalfFull
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would be happy if all/most/some sets had both PVE and PVP 5-piece stats listed separate on them so "balance" would not me such a mess and change so often.
    Curiosity is the cure for boredom, there is no cure for curiosity.
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They work on bugs constantly.

Of your list the only thing I see as being any kind of priority is the being able to step over a pebble thing. I would like to hide armor but being a cosmetic thing should be way way down on a list of priorities.

Most the rest would be redundancy with everything but animation. A spear would look different and the skills would have a different name but in the end they would actually work like other skills already in game.

Players use the same weapons because there will always be a build that is better than the rest. If ZoS did make it so no build had an advantage so what weapon you slot never mattered that would be much worse. If there is no META to push what point is there to most the game for a large portion of the player population?

Put long hair on your character and you will see why the game doesn't have cloaks.

Update 35 hasn't been a disaster for me as others are making it out to be. I'll admit I haven't tried it in PvP yet so maybe my opinion will change. I am still trying to get comfortable with a new rotation. I've been thumping world bosses to that end. I main a Templar and there are some bosses I was killing before the update that smote me now. First day I was dying to them often. Last night a few that were killing me after the update are no longer killing me. I'm a little more comfortable with my new rotation and how I need to move in the fight. The fight lasts longer so I can't just sit in front of the boss and jab my health up as the boss dies. I don't see that as a bad thing.
    I liked the new jab animation in trials. When the group stacks I can see my jab easier making it easier to have a smooth rotation. Personally I like that some content is now a little more challenging.
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
  • Jamie_Aubrey
    Jamie_Aubrey
    ✭✭✭✭
    Me that doesn't do any type of DPS parses and only plays in PVP: I see no problem, I still suck
    RETIRED FROM ESO
    PC/EU
    Former Empress & Grand Overlord Vex Valentino
  • TheBaronXIII
    TheBaronXIII
    ✭✭
    peacenote wrote: »
    I really feel that "do nothing" should be on this list.

Releasing the new dungeons, combined with whatever QoL and fixes were in the patch notes (I saw someone get excited about transparent windows), and not doing any combat changes, would have been better.

I think it was U34 that had very few controversial changes and people were so grateful and happy. If you can't make it better, just keep analyzing data and thinking instead of making it worse...

Right? I still am scratching my head over he fact that so many people in the community were playing the PTS and not liking the direction is was going and they still thought it wise to move forward with it. Especially considering the timing of Wrath classic coming out. I know several of my intake friends who are canceling subs and moving on because of the other options out there.
  • TheBaronXIII
    TheBaronXIII
    ✭✭
    I would be happy if all/most/some sets had both PVE and PVP 5-piece stats listed separate on them so "balance" would not me such a mess and change so often.

Me too! To me, this seems like an obvious solve for the conundrum that is balancing between PvE and PvP. I can't think of a game thats ever been able to do it. If it was me, I'd thrown in the towel and just separate how ever pice of gear, skill, etc. functions versus players and monsters.
  • TheBaronXIII
    TheBaronXIII
    ✭✭
    1. Fix most of critical bugs. (for example. "dungeon door malfunction" )

2. Fix fake role cheating problem. Add more optional flag switch for the group finder.
    >Accept fake tank and healer? >Dungeon running purpose (speed run or Deep searchin)

3.Add Trial group finder.

4.Improve tutorial phase or bad game flow for all of grouping mission. Re-design terrible looking UI design.

5. Renewal dated action game design for all of it (Maybe ZOS doesn't have skill for this.)

6. Renewal cranky combat motion including new templar and dual wielding.

7. Consider better level design for the future contents.

8. Add more natural looking housing structure(roof, pillar, floor, stair). Don't need creepy stuff anymore.

Well, lots of work are waiting. But Non of those have done yet.

All good ideas and definitely time better spent.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Held off on U35 and continued iterating the final PTS patch for U36 so they could have a cohesive update, as opposed to a whole bunch of unstandardized stuff that went Live with inadequate testing that will probably get adjusted further on in future updates.

But what's done is done.
    Edited by VaranisArano on August 31, 2022 8:17PM
  • EldritchSun
    EldritchSun
    ✭✭✭
    Adding new weapons means every single set, every single style has to be reworked, same goes for weapon passives too. New races mean another balance rework, and it's gonna be mess. Plus, there's not much room for new racial passives. The idea with cloaks looks good in theory, but with all the armour in the game and existing... I forgot the word, overlapping? problem on current armor styles it's gonna be an ugly show.
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Meh, this is nothing more than a wish list presented as a false dichotomy.
    They must fix fake role problem before U35... mostly.

This is the most overhyped problem in ESO. Form your own group, and you wont have this problem. Alternatively, make a build that can handle the essentials of all three roles, queue as a tank, and again, you want have this problem.