Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Replay Quests, a new option (dialogue and mechanics)

Lapin_Logic
Lapin_Logic
✭✭✭✭✭
Please can we have a way to fully replay quests, I have some favourite quests that I can't experience again because all my toons have done them (Vigils end, The pale sentinel, Cindertail on Khenarthis roost, The Frozen Man on Bleakrock), Not only this but I cant run them with new friends, I just get to shoot mobs if I am lucky.

Would it be possible to add a dialogue option to the quest giver to "replay story", just gold as a reward so it doesn't spoil the economy, it would make the game more accessible as a "Multiplayer" game and also add much needed replay ability to older content that has such great characters in it
  • vsrs_au
    vsrs_au
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Please can we have a way to fully replay quests, I have some favourite quests that I can't experience again because all my toons have done them (Vigils end, The pale sentinel, Cindertail on Khenarthis roost, The Frozen Man on Bleakrock), Not only this but I cant run them with new friends, I just get to shoot mobs if I am lucky.

Would it be possible to add a dialogue option to the quest giver to "replay story", just gold as a reward so it doesn't spoil the economy, it would make the game more accessible as a "Multiplayer" game and also add much needed replay ability to older content that has such great characters in it
    I second that request. I'd also like to replay some quests I've done, eventually.
    PC(Steam) / EU / play from Melbourne, Australia / avg ping 390
  • NeeScrolls
    NeeScrolls
    ✭✭✭✭
    Please can we have a way to fully replay quests,
    vsrs_au wrote: »
    I second that request. .
    I personally think this particular idea is unnecessary & fringe , however u guys might enjoy these other threads on the same topic from recent--> https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/595516/quest-mode-for-dungeons/p1
    ...as well as--> https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/603766/request-repeatable-dungeon-quests ....and also this older one--> https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/197497/public-dungeon-quests-should-be-repeatable

Enjoy!
  • vsrs_au
    vsrs_au
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    NeeScrolls wrote: »
    I second that request. .
    I personally think this particular idea is unnecessary & fringe , however u guys might enjoy these other threads on the same topic from recent--> https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/595516/quest-mode-for-dungeons/p1
    ...as well as--> https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/603766/request-repeatable-dungeon-quests ....and also this older one--> https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/197497/public-dungeon-quests-should-be-repeatable

Enjoy!
    No, only the last one of the 3 threads you mentioned are even *slightly* on the same topic, and we all know what happens to threads that are years old when they get a reply :) So I support @Lapin_Logic 's thread.
    PC(Steam) / EU / play from Melbourne, Australia / avg ping 390
  • Lapin_Logic
    Lapin_Logic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I second that request. .

Enjoy!

Not sure how Playing with friends
    Or more Multiplayer functionality
    Is "Fringe and unnecessary" in an MMO

Heck even replaying Story content a la "New game plus" isn't even a novel and unusual RPG concept, and it would negatively effect literally no-one if you don't want to engage with it.
  • NeeScrolls
    NeeScrolls
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not sure how Playing with friends
    Or more Multiplayer functionality
    Is "Fringe and unnecessary" in an MMO.
    Because you can ALREADY do those things now.

I suggest you read the 1st thread link i posted for you (and yes i realize it's a very long thread w/ many pages & posts) .
  • Lapin_Logic
    Lapin_Logic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My Friend "What bears a knight with missing means, Only despair"
    Me "Let me help you gather the Swo.... oh I can't redo the 'Vigils end' Quest with you, in fact I can't even do Loriasel properly because I don't have 'Keystones' Give me a shout in 30 minutes when you port out of 'The Hists memories' "

That is just one example of Open World where this is Not an MMO.

I am not talking about Dungeon stories or a Dungeon story mode. Just the ability to enjoy the content I paid for again solo or with a friend without Deleting a character, So no we don't have that already.

It is compounded when a quest has a Puzzle in it (Thieves guild, Al Danobia tomb for instance.. of an instansted area) where you have to wait and can't see or help them.

You should have the ability to join Any player at Any stage of Any quest and it be just as if you had never played it and you both are contributing to the quest, adventuring "Together", not stand in a room where mobs are friendly to you but hostile to your group while you eat doritos with nothing to do with a friend who on PC might not even have voice or discord.

(Some quests if you are in a group will either Count both players tally together, or in some cases you both need to gather the same number, in rare cases both players can harvest the same object but mostly if 1 of the group gets the item it progresses the quest for the group, this can sometimes be the case for dialogue options causing You to "Pick" what a group member chose/spammed to the end of without you being able to back out and redo)
    Edited by Lapin_Logic on April 26, 2022 12:23AM
  • NeeScrolls
    NeeScrolls
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just the ability to enjoy the content I paid for again solo or with a friend without Deleting a character,
    And that bold ^ is why it's fringe , since it presumes the majority of current $ubscribers don't have any character slots left.

No reason for @ZOS_ to spent time, money, effort re-coding the entire game (of stories) just to satisfy a tiny minority of specific players who happen to max out their allotted character slots.

This is my opinion, based on personal experience as a 'Dev' on another game, familiar with how code in MMO's can be.

You're welcome to disagree of course, based on your OP wish request.

But this same wish request has been asked since 2015, by a few very vocal forum users, yet still it has never (and imo won't ever) been implemented.

Perhaps it'll happen whenever ESO ends though, since then their business company won't be as concerned with Crown Store profits, multiple accounts, & replay value. Until then however, the best option to replay stories & such is to just roll a NEW toon (or 2nd account).
    Edited by NeeScrolls on April 26, 2022 2:09AM
  • Lapin_Logic
    Lapin_Logic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    just roll a NEW toon (or 2nd account).

That is just as impractical as "Give me a shout in half an hour when you have finished your quest"

Because "Just wait 3 days while I make a new account and reach the same quest as you" isn't Convenience in any measure of the word.

You say you are also a Dev, Might I suggest taking on board the old adage "The Customer is always right" because if they want it, then they Want it, and doubtless many others want it but can't be bothered asking, just like every other QOL addition that has been put in over the years that no one asked for but couldn't live without.
  • NeeScrolls
    NeeScrolls
    ✭✭✭✭
    Might I suggest taking on board the old adage "The Customer is always right" because if they want it, then they Want it, .
    heh , that old adage is merely a way to placate certain types of humans (in public)

If people heard the way most developers/coders speak about their "customers" in private ...umm... let's just say it wouldn't go over to well lol . Of course, i'm def. not claiming i know how @ZOS_ specifically feels about anyone nor anything (other than what they've already posted here on these forums) . But i am saying the proof---so far---is in the 2022 content pudding.

Anyways, we're straying off-topic here.

I've tried to illuminate you (and whomever reads this thread) with a different perspective/opinion. But it's clear you simply want what you want, and that's not gonna change. (which is fine, np i get it -- Heck i still want *flying mounts* ;) )
    Edited by NeeScrolls on April 26, 2022 5:08AM
  • Lapin_Logic
    Lapin_Logic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heck i still want *flying mounts* ;) )

I don't know how we haven't had even (hovering) "flying" mounts yet or a ghost polymorph/Skin with transparent legs, they turn us into whisps in one quest and that's basically the same with a animation override.
  • Mitheral
    Mitheral
    Soul Shriven
    I also would enjoy this feature as i really like to Read the quests and interact However when Grouped everyone is in such a hurry that i cant play the way i want becouse i dont want to hold my party up.
  • CompM4s
    CompM4s
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dont see why anyone would care if people were able to reselect a quest-line. Some people want to nerd out and RP or just like the stories; nothing wrong with that.
  • etchedpixels
    etchedpixels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    CompM4s wrote: »
    I dont see why anyone would care if people were able to reselect a quest-line. Some people want to nerd out and RP or just like the stories; nothing wrong with that.

Unfortunately people would then farm the quests. You'd have to implement a load of mechanics so you didn't get the rewards the second time or anything else but the generic trash. Otherwise we'd have some quests where there were 500 people going in cicles round the quest just like the Alik'r dolmens!

It's enough of a problem that in the early days ESO actually had to rate limit the character deletion (hence you can only delete 3 characters and then have to wait). Because people were doing exactly this - quest, store item, delete, repeat.
    Too many toons not enough time
  • ice34697
    ice34697
    ✭✭✭

And yet, from what I've been reading about U35, ZoS can spend all the time, money, and effort to overhaul certain content because a tiny minority of players were able to reach the pinnacle of top tier performance with their builds and an even smaller group of players didn't like that. again, from what i have read, the VAST MAJORITY of the ESO community is absolutely appalled with U35 and feel it was completely unnecessary. Yet ZoS pushed it out anyway.

So don't go and say that ZoS doesn't try to cater to the minority. They already have.

And as for the argument that repeating quests, for years I played Star Trek Online before joining the ESO community (love both games). STO has the replay option which simply rewards you with a fraction of the normal XP and gold upon replaying it. It was a great way to travel and quest with friends who hadn't done a certain quest that you had, or maybe you just wanted to revisit a quest that you done when you first joined and simply wanted to remember the story behind the quest. I know that STO and ESO are completely different in regards to game style and mechanics, but replaying quests should most definitely be something that ZoS should consider. Not everyone wants to make new characters. Some of us just like having MAYBE 1 or 2 that we like and can RP with or have spent a massive amount of time dedicated to them that it almost feels like betrayal to start with a new character.

Thank you all for coming to my TED Talk. I shall get off my soap box now.
    Edited by ice34697 on August 25, 2022 2:06PM
  • Say_My_Name
    Say_My_Name
    ✭✭
    Has there been any word on replaying quests from the devs? I know there are recent plans that include "Quality of Life" stuff for already existing content, or at least that's what they said after releasing Scribes of Fate.
  • Anumaril
    Anumaril
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd love to be able to replay quests. Like many other players I don't use alts, as I'm very connected to my current (and only) character. But some quests have such amazing stories I'd like to revisit and re-experience them. The only reason I don't right now is that I'd have to make a whole new character to do it.

Off the top of my head the Balmora questline is amazing, and I'd love to re-experience that every now and again. The end of the Murkmire questline also has a really pretty Ayleid dimension I'd love to go back to regularly, but completing the main questline locks you out of it.

I don't think it would be impossible to implement, especially if ZOS made it un-exploitable by having it so that if you repeat a quest it doesn't give rewards anymore (gold, experience, or loot).
  • TinyDragon
    TinyDragon
    ✭✭✭
    I'd also love this, being able to enter the story instances with friends is a great feature in another MMO I've played.

I quest with my partner, and he only plays one character. I'd have a much better time doing the quests he's done and I haven't if he could come along.
    Edited by TinyDragon on August 20, 2023 4:15AM
  • BenTSG
    BenTSG
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'll add my +1 to being able to reply quests
  • Kappachi
    Kappachi
    ✭✭✭✭

If you have 20 character slots then surely there's one you can make an expendable slot that you delete/remake for purposes of redoing quests and such? that's the kind of thing I do both in this game & guild wars 2 with maxed out char slots in both.
  • evan302
    evan302
    ✭✭✭
    No reason for @ZOS_ to spent time, money, effort re-coding the entire game (of stories) just to satisfy a tiny minority of specific players who happen to max out their allotted character slots.

I'll give you two reasons:
    Player Retention and Customer Satisfaction
    Other MMOs have this feature, Star Trek Online apparently does and FFXIV also introduced it recently, the latter's New Game Plus offers no XP for completion, yet apparently it is very popular (I haven't played it recently).

It's been explained to you why making another character isn't going to be practical for everyone, and it's a lot of faffing around setting up a brand new character compared to just going and picking up the quest again.
    Endgame in an MMO can often feel dull and dry for people who play mainly for the story, content is dripped out and people often go and play something else in between. They don't always come back, that's how I ended up here from my previous game.
    Giving people a way of redoing old content will give some of those players an incentive to stay around and it is surely a lot less work than making something completely new like ToT that they may or may not choose to engage with.

I think this is a great idea @Lapin_Logic and with ZoS focusing on QoL, this is a good time to put it forward.
    Edited by evan302 on August 24, 2023 9:00AM
  • Dokolus
    Dokolus
    ✭✭✭
    +1

I'd definitely love for this to replay, just for nostalgia sake, but also to replay with friends new and old.