The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Public Dungeon Quests should be repeatable

Arato
Arato
✭✭✭✭✭
With the buff to public dungeon xp, it just makes sense to allow the quests in public dungeons to be able to be repeated (without the trophy items on repeat) to get something to do in there rather than just endlessly grinding mobs.
  • F7sus4
    F7sus4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're getting more XP by killing all the mobs on your way than handing in the quest that was associated with a particular dungeon anyway.
  • Arato
    Arato
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    F7sus4 wrote: »
    You're getting more XP by killing all the mobs on your way than handing in the quest that was associated with a particular dungeon anyway.

perhaps, but it's more fun to go through with a goal to persue (a quest) rather than just going in and grinding for hours on end.
  • F7sus4
    F7sus4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is a bunch of repeatable quests in the end-game and Cyrodiil that no one bothers to do anyway.
  • Kuroinu
    Kuroinu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've never went out of my way to go grind once in this game so far. I'm level 49 and around halfway through Coldharbour.

I tend to ignore mobs in the open world; unless a Lorebook, Chest or Skyshard is close to them lol. All I've been doing is discovering and clearing all locations and then moving on to the next zone once I've done all the quests. I'm usually a couple levels above the base zone level when I start off in a new zone, if anything I think the EXP you get from everything should be reduced by at least 10% for levels 1-50.
    Edited by Kuroinu on July 20, 2015 8:47AM
  • Arato
    Arato
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is a bunch of repeatable quests in the end-game and Cyrodiil that no one bothers to do anyway.

I see people doing them every day, I do them somewhat regularly myself, because I'd frankly rather shove my hand in a blender and flick the switch than just grind mobs.
  • Arato
    Arato
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've never went out of my way to go grind once in this game so far. I'm level 49 and around halfway through Coldharbour.

I tend to ignore mobs in the open world; unless a Lorebook, Chest or Skyshard is close to them lol. All I've been doing is discovering and clearing all locations and then moving on to the next zone once I've done all the quests. I'm usually a couple levels above the base zone level when I start off in a new zone, if anything I think the EXP you get from everything should be reduced by at least 10% for levels 1-50.

You're not in VR's so you should refrain from discussing something you don't know anything about.
  • RazzPitazz
    RazzPitazz
    ✭✭✭✭
    Arato wrote: »

You're not in VR's so you should refrain from discussing something you don't know anything about.

I agree with @Arato, Just not the slightly rude delivery however true it is.
    Once you hit VR you will find those mobs to be a bit more enticing as you realize that XP Nat isn't moving nearly as fast as it used to. As it stands right now you have to finish almost everything in a zone to get to the next VR level and even after the boosts from the incoming update it will still take most of the zone content.
    There may come a point when running in circles killing mobs will become just as entertaining, maybe more so, than running in circles/lines turning in quests for roughly the same or less xp.
    I imagine after the update that public dungeons will be the initial go to grind spot off and on.
    PC NA
    VR1 - Jar'eed - Khajiit Dragon Knight - AD
    VR1 - Broad Tail - Argonian Templar - EP
    All-Star Crafter Guild
  • Arato
    Arato
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    RazzPitazz wrote: »

I agree with @Arato, Just not the slightly rude delivery however true it is.
    Once you hit VR you will find those mobs to be a bit more enticing as you realize that XP Nat isn't moving nearly as fast as it used to. As it stands right now you have to finish almost everything in a zone to get to the next VR level and even after the boosts from the incoming update it will still take most of the zone content.
    There may come a point when running in circles killing mobs will become just as entertaining, maybe more so, than running in circles/lines turning in quests for roughly the same or less xp.
    I imagine after the update that public dungeons will be the initial go to grind spot off and on.

in my defense I was MUCH ruder in my head and when typing out the response and backspacing over it several times. What came out was the result of CONSIDERABLE restraint.

It's like when you talk about it taking a year after graduating from college to find a job in your field (some people I graduated with the same degree still haven't found such a job 3 years later and are waiting tables still) after the recession and suddenly even STEM fields are overcrowded.. Someone who's still in college will claim that they'll have no problem finding a job right after graduation because they're still in the easy part of life and don't know better.
  • The_Sadist
    The_Sadist
    ✭✭✭✭✭

chris-pratt-gif-2.gif?w=500&h=318

I can't say I'm fond of the idea, unless the quest themselves are time-gated and are only able to be done once per day sort of thing. As @F7sus4 pointed out, with the increased exp running dungeons or public delves for experience might be viable without the associated quest. I personally dislike grinding for CP, as gathering collectibles has left my quite hollow inside, but I think adding more content would be preferable over implementing a system that allows players to repeat delve quests. That being said, we already have daily undaunted dungeons and Cyrodiil will keep the casual player quite busy.
    Edited by The_Sadist on July 20, 2015 6:35AM
    "Each event is preceded by Prophecy. But without the hero, there is no Event." ― Zurin Arctus, the Underking.
    Tragrim - How do I work this thing?
    Casually stalking the forums
  • Arato
    Arato
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The_Sadist wrote: »

chris-pratt-gif-2.gif?w=500&h=318

I can't say I'm fond of the idea, unless the quest themselves are time-gated and are only able to be done once per day sort of thing. As @F7sus4 pointed out, with the increased exp running dungeons or public delves for experience might be viable without the associated quest. I dislike grinding for CP as grinding for collectibles has left my hollow inside, but I think adding more content would be preferable sort of thing. We already have daily undaunted dungeons and Cyrodiil will keep the casual player quite busy.

Yeah I just meant daily repeatable quests in the Public dungeons, just to give some sort of purpose to going in there rather than just grinding mobs because they're there and they give xp. A quest gives a goal to follow, and distracts you from the grinding that you do on the way, and sets a limit on it. Where without a quest you're very conscious of the fact that you're just running around in circles going through the motions and having alternating thoughts of wishing certain developers had very unfortunate things happen to them and just uninstalling the game.

I already have a repetitive grind I do 10 hours a day 4 days a week, I don't need another one that I do for free.
  • F7sus4
    F7sus4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see people doing them every day, I do them somewhat regularly myself, because I'd frankly rather shove my hand in a blender and flick the switch than just grind mobs.
    Good. Now you can do the same with regular dungeons as well, just without a quest. No need to repeat them hundreds of times to do so-called "grinding" - there's always a smooth way in and out. Unless you miss/lose "immersion" by not having a quest entry in your journal and GPS marker (LOL).
  • Arato
    Arato
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good. Now you can do the same with regular dungeons as well, just without a quest. No need to repeat them hundreds of times to do so-called "grinding" - there's always a smooth way in and out. Unless you miss/lose "immersion" by not having a quest entry in your journal and GPS marker (LOL).

Not the same thing, you don't have an objective, you don't have a limit, you're just aimlessly grinding until you want to stick someone else's hands in a blender.
  • F7sus4
    F7sus4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "I don't have a quest entry, so I don't have the dialogues that I could spam-click."

<3<3<3<3<3
    Edited by F7sus4 on July 20, 2015 8:29AM
  • Arato
    Arato
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Delves have a smooth way in and a shortcut back out. Public dungeons do not. Getting out of public dungeons genrally means backtracking all the way through.

I don't see why you're so opposed to having quests. You don't mind grinding, good for you, but a lot of players prefer questing to grinding

I take it you know this and are worried that more people will go to Public dungeons where you intend to grind and clear out your mobs if there are quests?
  • F7sus4
    F7sus4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not grinding versus questing. It's about a sole statement that having a quest just to trigger interactive dialogues makes sense only if you actually read all the text. (And it also shows how starved for new content all the players are at this moment.)

:star:
    Edited by F7sus4 on July 20, 2015 8:45AM
  • Kuroinu
    Kuroinu
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Your initial post is vague and offers no specific info. on the level range you are referring to; be it 1-50 or Veteran Ranks. If you were specific I most likely wouldn't have posted because I'm well aware of the VR EXP grind that apparently I knew nothing about. But clearly you made an impulse post, meaning you didn't finish reading what I said. I've highlighted in bold the part you most likely missed.

It always helps to be specific and I don't mind that you were rude, just understand that I only posted because you weren't specific.
  • Arato
    Arato
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Your initial post is vague and offers no specific info. on the level range you are referring to; be it 1-50 or Veteran Ranks. If you were specific I most likely wouldn't have posted because I'm well aware of the VR EXP grind that apparently I knew nothing about. But clearly you made an impulse post, meaning you didn't finish reading what I said. I've highlighted in bold the part you most likely missed.

It always helps to be specific and I don't mind that you were rude, just understand that I only posted because you weren't specific.

Well, to explain, public dungeon xp is going up by 100% due to the increased Veteran Rank, I'm guessing that only public dungeons in veteran zones are getting this xp boost because as you say, the xp requirements and xp available for 1-50 is more than enough. Most people are satisfied with the 1-50 gameplay experience Many people reach VR1 sometime in Coldharbor and still have quests to go, especially if they do all the delves and public dungeons and group dungeons and world bosses, etc. They could skip things if they wanted but a lot of people do all the stuff because they want to see the various stories and explore the delves, etc.

Many people are NOT happy with the Veteran Rank system, ZOS has said they would remove it at some point and replace it, but instead they add to it and futz with the xp requirements to see if people will like them better.afterward, so I expect most of these xp changes won't affect 1-50 content since people are happy with that.
  • Kuroinu
    Kuroinu
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, to explain, public dungeon xp is going up by 100% due to the increased Veteran Rank, I'm guessing that only public dungeons in veteran zones are getting this xp boost because as you say, the xp requirements and xp available for 1-50 is more than enough. Most people are satisfied with the 1-50 gameplay experience Many people reach VR1 sometime in Coldharbor and still have quests to go, especially if they do all the delves and public dungeons and group dungeons and world bosses, etc. They could skip things if they wanted but a lot of people do all the stuff because they want to see the various stories and explore the delves, etc.

Many people are NOT happy with the Veteran Rank system, ZOS has said they would remove it at some point and replace it, but instead they add to it and futz with the xp requirements to see if people will like them better.afterward, so I expect most of these xp changes won't affect 1-50 content since people are happy with that.

I understand and I'm aware of all the exp changes coming to VRs. I did have a thought on your request just now though.

Something similar to those daily Undaunted pledges but for Public dungeons and not restricted to once a day. Kinda makes sense to me to involve the Undaunted in a form of repeatable quest, even if it's just for EXP.
  • Arato
    Arato
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I understand and I'm aware of all the exp changes coming to VRs. I did have a thought on your request just now though.

Something similar to those daily Undaunted pledges but for Public dungeons and not restricted to once a day. Kinda makes sense to me to involve the Undaunted in a form of repeatable quest, even if it's just for EXP.

Maybe but since public dungeons don't scale with you it couldn't be a random public dungeon pledge every day like the group dungeon pledges.
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've never done the Craglorn dailies (just some of the one-time Celestial quests), so I don't know how their story works, but to me, the Public Dungeon quests aren't appropriate for repeating. You can only retrieve the Cartulary of the Tamed Dunes from the Lost City, free the goblins of Toothmaul, or save the people of the Village of the Lost, once. After that, they don't need to be retrieved/freed/saved again.
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • Arato
    Arato
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enodoc wrote: »
    I've never done the Craglorn dailies (just some of the one-time Celestial quests), so I don't know how their story works, but to me, the Public Dungeon quests aren't appropriate for repeating. You can only retrieve the Cartulary of the Tamed Dunes from the Lost City, free the goblins of Toothmaul, or save the people of the Village of the Lost, once. After that, they don't need to be retrieved/freed/saved again.

Cyrodiil and Craglorn quests are repeatable.

I don't know, maybe a different quest that is repeatable introduced to them rather than the current quest maybe, but seems to me kinda sad that public dungeons are done once, just to do the quest and kill all the bosses for the achievements, and then forgotten, and now they're raising the xp in them, but that only serves a subset of people who like aimlessly grinding in a circle.
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enodoc wrote: »
    Cyrodiil and Craglorn quests are repeatable.
    Yeah I know they're repeatable, I was just wondering whether repeating them made "sense". Most of the Cyrodiil ones, unlike the standard levelling zones quests, are things you could logically and conceivably do a number of times (like restocking supplies, searching for missing people, clearing enemies out of somewhere), and I wasn't sure if Craglorn was the same.
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • CaptainObvious
    CaptainObvious
    ✭✭✭✭
    For the craglorn ones, not really. The Craglorn quests are like other area quests except the quest giver and monsters you slaughter are incredibly forgetful.
    Due to a typo in the system, the area was accosted by the Daedric Prince Moar Lag Brawls.