Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

FPS drops after U33

• dadester
    dadester
    ZOS_Kevin wrote: »
    Hi All. After chatting with the team we do have some information here.

So the team did make some changes based on feedback here for framerate stability and implemented those in U34. However, our teams are reviewing some of the more recent feedback and will work toward more improvements. No eta on those yet, but they have been noted and in progress.

I am happy that we finally have a response to this thread, I'm not sure i'm overall excited with the message.

Since there are no ETA's, are there next steps or items being investigated? Can we be informed of it? A potential roadmap for what's being looked into
    As someone with the issue, is there any information we should be providing? Anything we shouldn't be saying?
  • ZOS_Kevin
    ZOS_Kevin
    Community Manager
    @dadester We'll have to circle back with the team in a bit to see if there is any additional information they can provide.

As for anything players should be providing, at this point, the only thing of note would be detailing experiences and providing video if possible with FPS counter and outlining your PC specs. Also would be good to know if players are running add-ons and how many. Just something for us to consider as well.
    Community Manager for ZeniMax Online Studio and Elder Scrolls OnlineDev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter
    Staff Post
  • MageCatF4F
    MageCatF4F
    ✭✭✭✭
    MageCatF4F wrote: »
    Same problem on the oldest family system, which is rather old - but - no such problems as these before this lovely patch.

Oldest machine is: Athlon II X4 635 with NV 1660 Super and 12 GB RAM. Windows 7. Typical mechanical HD. Cable.

Riding around on mount at full sprint used to be fluid. Now it staggers and glitches. Really crappy.

I suppose we are lucky MS and ZOS still let us play at all, but again, this patch ruined performance on this machine.

My initial post in this thread from March 14, 2022.

To elaborate, this started happening to this older machine and also our middle Windows 7 machine to a lesser extent after Update 33. Our newest Windows 10 machine, an I7 9700F with 16 GB RAM and SSD and RTX 2060 super had no problems at all after U33.

Following advice given by your customers in this thread we modified the setting in Usersettings.txt SET MaxCoresToUse.4 "2" and it solved most of the problems the old machine was having but not all of them.

The old machine still, to this day, loads in to instances much slower than before U33. The old machine still gets those brief loading screens when sprinting on mount through cities and near the Grahtwood Undaunted Onclave.

Our newest machine, Windows 10 from the start, remains good, unaffected by whatever you guys did in U33.

All 3 machines are obviously connected to the same cable MODEM through our router via ethernet cables.
    I could switch the connections around to different ports but I'm really really sure that isn't a factor.

In fact I already did that for the old machine for unrelated reasons - it made no difference for ESO.

Really, it is something you did in Update 33. It affects certain hardware/software configurations, as reported here by many of your customers 3 months ago. Why has it taken so long?

Edit: changed a "G" to an "R".
    Edited by MageCatF4F on June 23, 2022 2:15AM
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    WoppaBoem wrote: »
    Snamyap wrote: »

So the team did make some changes based on feedback here for framerate stability and implemented those in U34. However, our teams are reviewing some of the more recent feedback and will work toward more improvements. No eta on those yet, but they have been noted and in progress.

I had some issues with U33 but it has become much, much worse since U34. Very unhappy customer here.

Yes the frame rate is appealing. Just before High Pile of *** dropped I was so impressed on the game looks and FPS in performance mode on Xbox. The High pile of *** drops and the game look worse and the FPS dropped dramatically.

I am unsure if I am seeing this on PS or not, since I saw this post about it before I might be somewhat biased.

I run Fidelity settings to make things look pretty, but since High Isle I feel like just riding around overland that the frame rate is jerky. Supposedly at this setting the max is 30 FPS, so if it’s not smooth then the rate must be dipping below that. I remember that the first thing I noticed when I got the PS5 was how awesomely smooth the gameplay was.

I am able to play in Cyrodiil and do world bosses and such on this setting, so it’s a surprise that just riding around feels more like PS4 gameplay now. It could be the lag with the new zone, but there aren’t a huge number of players there.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• Red_Feather
    Red_Feather
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I had some issues with U33 but it has become much, much worse since U34. Very unhappy customer here.

Yes the frame rate is appealing. Just before High Pile of *** dropped I was so impressed on the game looks and FPS in performance mode on Xbox. The High pile of *** drops and the game look worse and the FPS dropped dramatically.

I am unsure if I am seeing this on PS or not, since I saw this post about it before I might be somewhat biased.

I run Fidelity settings to make things look pretty, but since High Isle I feel like just riding around overland that the frame rate is jerky. Supposedly at this setting the max is 30 FPS, so if it’s not smooth then the rate must be dipping below that. I remember that the first thing I noticed when I got the PS5 was how awesomely smooth the gameplay was.

I am able to play in Cyrodiil and do world bosses and such on this setting, so it’s a surprise that just riding around feels more like PS4 gameplay now. It could be the lag with the new zone, but there aren’t a huge number of players there.

Katangirl, if you are seeing this...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juCyfobsgf4
    then you are seeing what this topic is talking about.

That video is just a way to show what it looks like. What's happening now after the march update is the cpu is being overloaded on some people's computer, both old and new hardware, and we can't figure out the how or why.

It causes 100% cpu utilization and massive stuttering. Even with no addons and a clean install it'll still happen. This entire topic for 3 months has only found one thing and that is limiting cpu core count helps some but doesn't solve it.

Edited by Red_Feather on June 23, 2022 8:52PM
  • ixthUA
    ixthUA
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That video is just a way to show what it looks like. What's happening now after the march update is the cpu is being overloaded on some people's computer, both old and new hardware, and we can't figure out the how or why.

It causes 100% cpu utilization and massive stuttering. Even with no addons and a clean install it'll still happen. This entire topic for 3 months has only found one thing and that is limiting cpu core count helps some but doesn't solve it.
    New does not mean powerful. If its 6 core without hyperthreading - it will have performance of a 10 years old hardware.
    My hardware is 5-6 years old, so i modestly play on minimal settings at 48 fps, with minor stutter.
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

No that is not what I am seeing. The FPS drop is not that severe, just enough to notice a slight dip.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• emilyhyoyeon
    emilyhyoyeon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

this is exactly what's happening for me, but it stutters every 5 or so seconds for about 1-2 seconds, instead of constant like this video shows.

Also, for me, it doesn't always happen. But it does happen 99% of the time in dungeons, BGs; sometimes player houses. Sometimes I get this in one of my houses one day, and then the next day I go to the same house, and my game is stable.

I have a video of me standing still for 2 and a half minutes in a random alinor building and my fps is constantly fluctuating like in that video, causing stuttering that I don't show because my character is standing still. I'm not sure if uploading and posting it would help considering I mostly recorded it to focus on the fps counter.
    Zirasia Firemaker, imperial fire mage & sunbather _ Deebaba Soul-Weaver, argonian spirit minder & soul gem collector
    Tullanisse Starborne, altmer battlemage noble & ayleid researcher _ Qa'Rirra, khajiit assassin & dancer
  • Red_Feather
    Red_Feather
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

this is exactly what's happening for me, but it stutters every 5 or so seconds for about 1-2 seconds, instead of constant like this video shows.

Also, for me, it doesn't always happen. But it does happen 99% of the time in dungeons, BGs; sometimes player houses. Sometimes I get this in one of my houses one day, and then the next day I go to the same house, and my game is stable.

I have a video of me standing still for 2 and a half minutes in a random alinor building and my fps is constantly fluctuating like in that video, causing stuttering that I don't show because my character is standing still. I'm not sure if uploading and posting it would help considering I mostly recorded it to focus on the fps counter.

Yeah it is just a visual reference. I don't have the game installed anymore so I looked up stuttering on youtube until I found an older video that looks like how the stuttering looked. That's all the video is meant to be. In that video the person's suttering was caused by something completely different because it was in february and has nothing to do with update 33. It's nothing more than a video to show how bad stuttering can be when I have no game to show footage of.
  • Red_Feather
    Red_Feather
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ixthUA wrote: »
    [New does not mean powerful. If its 6 core without hyperthreading - it will have performance of a 10 years old hardware.
    My hardware is 5-6 years old, so i modestly play on minimal settings at 48 fps, with minor stutter.

You've been posting for 2 months and every post you make is trying to diminutize what is happening to other people here after update 33. I really don't get why it's so important to you that this be ignored and everyone go out and buy new high end computers.
    Edited by Red_Feather on June 24, 2022 8:46PM
  • dadester
    dadester

@ZOS_Kevin this video is very on point with what happens to me now. The issue shows up anytime there is a large amount of items that need to be loaded, or potentially described as reloaded. Portals in trials or overland, going around a city, exploring a Cyrodiil fort that's being sieged, and etc. Before this most recent update it was more going to single digit fps and staying for about 20 seconds, it would've be impossible to record it. It was coinciding with my CPU skyrocketing to max and all of it from ESO.

My addon list is 80, that's including all the libraries, when I was trying different things to fix this issue, having 0 enabled addons, and deleting the files, didn't change anything. Reinstalling the game, changing SSD's the game is located, turning down graphics, and many other 'solutions' as stated in many of this threads that have showed up over the years. Limiting cores did stabilize it, as previously mentioned it's the SET MaxCoresToUse.4 "2".

System information:
    • Motherboard: ASRock X370 Taichi
    • CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700
    • RAM: 16GB, DDR4 @ 1801 mhz
    • GPU: AMD Radeon Sapphire NITRO+ RX580
    • HD: Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB
    • Monitor: ViewSonic XG2401

Please let me know what other information I may be able to provide.

Edit: added some punctuation and grammar fixes
    Edited by dadester on June 25, 2022 5:43AM
  • Cuddlypuff
    Cuddlypuff
    ✭✭✭✭
    dadester wrote: »

@ZOS_Kevin this video is very on point with what happens to me now. The issue shows up anytime there is a large amount of items that need to be loaded, or potentially described as reloaded. Portals in trials or overland, going around a city, exploring a Cyrodiil fort that's being sieged, and etc. Before this most recent update it was more going to single digit fps and staying for about 20 seconds, it would've be impossible to record it. It was coinciding with my CPU skyrocketing to max and all of it from ESO.

My addon list is 80, that's including all the libraries, when I was trying different things to fix this issue, having 0 enabled addons, and deleting the files, didn't change anything. Reinstalling the game, changing SSD's the game is located, turning down graphics, and many other 'solutions' as stated in many of this threads that have showed up over the years. Limiting cores did stabilize it, as previously mentioned it's the SET MaxCoresToUse.4 "2".

System information:
    • Motherboard: ASRock X370 Taichi
    • CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700
    • RAM: 16GB, DDR4 @ 1801 mhz
    • GPU: AMD Radeon Sapphire NITRO+ RX580
    • HD: Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB
    • Monitor: ViewSonic XG2401

Please let me know what other information I may be able to provide.

Edit: added some punctuation and grammar fixes

This is almost identical to my case too. X370 Taichi, AMD Ryzen 1700X CPU and Nvidia 1080TI GPU. No other games are affected besides ESO.
  • ixthUA
    ixthUA
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You've been posting for 2 months and every post you make is trying to diminutize what is happening to other people here after update 33. I really don't get why it's so important to you that this be ignored and everyone go out and buy new high end computers.
    I provided some facts to correct some mistakes, i have no preference if ZOS reverts changes of U33 or not. I Pointed out its not shader compillation that causes stutter and most of complains come from users with old or weak (laptop) CPUs.
    s4ez3rg7fiqf.png
    Just look at these specs from steam page, i do not think game will even run on them at 720p 30 fps
  • LashanW
    LashanW
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's definitely something off with CPU usage, when I'm playing fps is smooth but whenever I hit a loading screen it stutters like hell. CPU usage goes to 100% and can barely do anything else on the computer. It looks like fps is uncapped during loading screens, I've seen it go 2000+. Normally I have fps capped to 150.

CPU is Intel Core i5-9600K.
    ---No longer active in ESO---
    Platform: PC-EU
    CP: 2500+
    Trial Achievements
    Godslayer, Gryphon Heart, Tick-Tock Tormentor, Immortal Redeemer, Dro-m'Athra Destroyer, vMoL no death

Arena Achievements
    vMA Flawless, vVH Spirit Slayer

DLC Dungeon Trifectas
    Scalecaller Peak, Fang Lair, Depths of Malatar, Icereach
  • ixthUA
    ixthUA
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Loading is tied to FPS, that is why FPS lockers disable themselves when they detect "loading" (like when lockpicking, character selection/creating). Forcing always-on FPS lock will make loading time very long.
    When game is installed on SSD, loading speed is limited by CPU, so it will reach 100% usage. Unless some CPU threads are disabled (like limiting maxcores).
    If some CPU cores were reserved for rendering, stutter would not happen on 4+ core CPUs, but loading would be slow.
  • KairanD
    KairanD
    ✭✭✭
    Ouch. I have the same problem. After U33 the drops started and they're bad, but the ones shown in your video are a lot worse. And my hardware is weaker than yours:

Processor: Core i5 4670K @ 3.8GHz.
    Cooler: Zalman CNPS9900 MAX Blue + Deepcool Z5.
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87-D3HP-CF @ BIOS F6.
    Memory: 16GB (4 x 4GB) Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz.
    VGA: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070Ti 8GB Superclocked Black Edition.
    SSD: Sandisk Plus 240GB.
    HD: 2x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm + 500GB HGST 5400rpm.
    PSU: OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W + Clamper Multi Energia 5.
    Case: PCYes! Horse Blue Edition + 5x 120mm fan + Rise PSU Cover + Rise VGA Holder.
    Extras: Wi-Fi + Bluetooth 4.0.
    Connection: Blink Telecom 300Mb.

I'll try to record in the same place (Vivec City) to post here. Which settings are you using?
    New does not mean powerful. If its 6 core without hyperthreading - it will have performance of a 10 years old hardware. My hardware is 5-6 years old, so i modestly play on minimal settings at 48 fps, with minor stutter.
    My processor from 2013, with the GTX 1070Ti, allows me to play with these settings:

t03e4mhlmwgn.png

I'm getting drops, but less severe than the ones shown by @RedFeather. Before U33 the game was performing a lot better.

I'm pretty sure my 4C/4T chip from 2013 is not more powerful than a 6C/12T or 8C/16T Ryzen?
  • LashanW
    LashanW
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Loading is tied to FPS, that is why FPS lockers disable themselves when they detect "loading" (like when lockpicking, character selection/creating). Forcing always-on FPS lock will make loading time very long.
    When game is installed on SSD, loading speed is limited by CPU, so it will reach 100% usage. Unless some CPU threads are disabled (like limiting maxcores).
    If some CPU cores were reserved for rendering, stutter would not happen on 4+ core CPUs, but loading would be slow.
    Yeah I have the game installed on an NVMe SSD.
    Loading screens have become very random for me, in terms of how long they are. Sometimes they take 5 seconds, sometimes 2+ minutes. It's especially bad when I'm alt-tabbed out of the game (I play with borderless fullscreen.)

The thing is, none of these specific issues happened before U32-33. My PC hardware hasn't changed.
    ---No longer active in ESO---
    Platform: PC-EU
    CP: 2500+
    Trial Achievements
    Godslayer, Gryphon Heart, Tick-Tock Tormentor, Immortal Redeemer, Dro-m'Athra Destroyer, vMoL no death

Arena Achievements
    vMA Flawless, vVH Spirit Slayer

DLC Dungeon Trifectas
    Scalecaller Peak, Fang Lair, Depths of Malatar, Icereach
  • Cuddlypuff
    Cuddlypuff
    ✭✭✭✭
    [New does not mean powerful. If its 6 core without hyperthreading - it will have performance of a 10 years old hardware.

Yeah this bothered me too. I even posted ages ago something to this effect [snip]

[edited for baiting]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on June 26, 2022 10:15AM
  • FN_FAL
    FN_FAL
    Soul Shriven
    Getting fps drops with Intel core i5-1035G1 4c/8t

Pretty sure this game can run much better on newer end cpus with hyperthreading but I think its not being fully utilized

Even though my current setup utilizes Integrated graphics, I was able to get 60 fps above at 900p medium subsampling but it drips down when I reach towns and cities and goes back up for no reason when roaming around at these cities, its a never ending cycle of fps drops and ups.

Fps also goes down after playing for some amount of time which is kinda annoying I have to restart the game for this
    Edited by FN_FAL on June 29, 2022 12:49AM
  • blktauna
    blktauna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    After U33 my frames fluctuated at around 40-80 out of cyrodil but have been getting steadily worse since u34.
    I have returned to the point of 18 frames, nothing rendering and close to 1 minute long load screens with every use of the wayshrine outside of cyrodil. This is both PCNA and PCEU

what is going on here?
    PCNA
    PCEU
  • blktauna
    blktauna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Today on PCEU AND PCNA it 2 min+ loading screens to login, change zone, use wayshrine..
    PCNA
    PCEU
  • blktauna
    blktauna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    On NA and EU when I go to Craglorn for the event, no toons are rendered in. after about 30 sec they start rendering but very slowly. Some never leave the black outline stage. I had an entire convo with the initial quest giver where he was not even there.
    PCNA
    PCEU
  • emilyhyoyeon
    emilyhyoyeon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't expect this to be fixed yet, but just want to say I'm still having this issue. It is headache-inducing
    Zirasia Firemaker, imperial fire mage & sunbather _ Deebaba Soul-Weaver, argonian spirit minder & soul gem collector
    Tullanisse Starborne, altmer battlemage noble & ayleid researcher _ Qa'Rirra, khajiit assassin & dancer
  • Red_Feather
    Red_Feather
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Didn't expect this to be fixed yet, but just want to say I'm still having this issue. It is headache-inducing

I am so disheartened to hear this. I check this forum every day in the hopes I can reinstall the game and play it without mass stuttering. 😢
  • dadester
    dadester
    Can confirm, still no improvement. 20 fps around content, 50s when not near anything vs the 90s a year ago
  • jle30303
    jle30303
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I too am having similar issues since the most recent couple of patches. Massive FPS drops, massive increases in CPU usage, other players frequently loading only in black silhouette, NPCs not loading in at all even if they are clickable. The banker in Vvardenfell has been suffering this problem for years, but the ENTIRE cast of the Zenithar event frequently took ages to actually load in.

This tells me two things:

(1) The priority of load order is wrong - NPCs should be loaded in before other players anyway
    (2) In a game as old as ESO, with hardware improvements over the last ten years, there really is not an excuse for performance being as bad as it is. Improvements in hardware and connection SHOULD mean that by now things should load faster and perform better, not worse.
  • shaxigamingeb17_ESO
    Figured I'd chime in. FPS drops are to be seen as normal in ESO, apparently. Even parsing on a dummy in a guild hall with no one else present takes me from 120 FPS to 18 FPS in about an hour. Addons, as expected, don't affect it at all. In content I frequently see 5 or 6 FPS if we wipe a few times. Content being Dreadsail Reef, Blackrose Prison, any dungeon etc. Specs are Ryzen 5 3600, 16GB DDR4, RTX 2060. I have to run at a mix of medium and low settings to get to 6 FPS if we are unable to clear some piece of content quick enough
  • cptscotty
    cptscotty
    ✭✭✭
    Figured I'd chime in. FPS drops are to be seen as normal in ESO, apparently. Even parsing on a dummy in a guild hall with no one else present takes me from 120 FPS to 18 FPS in about an hour. Addons, as expected, don't affect it at all. In content I frequently see 5 or 6 FPS if we wipe a few times. Content being Dreadsail Reef, Blackrose Prison, any dungeon etc. Specs are Ryzen 5 3600, 16GB DDR4, RTX 2060. I have to run at a mix of medium and low settings to get to 6 FPS if we are unable to clear some piece of content quick enough

Thats not normal at all. For a drop that huge thats a interface issue. Most likely your drive access. Keep task manager open in the background and when its done dropping check back and see what your disk/cpu usage was during those times. If its that, I can help with tips to search for causes, or you can just think through the things that would cause delayed drive access.
  • Red_Feather
    Red_Feather
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I spent the morning reinstalling the game. I am now playing on an SSD with lower settings too. It still is not fixed.

My fps drops 40-50 frames running through certain areas. Update 33 is when this all started. Stuttering and frame drops everywhere when BEFORE that update in march there was none.

What exactly was changed in update 33 that killed this game's framerate. If only we knew we could change it ourselves.
    Edited by Red_Feather on August 6, 2022 6:52PM
  • cptscotty
    cptscotty
    ✭✭✭
    I spent the morning reinstalling the game. I am now playing on an SSD with lower settings too. It still is not fixed.

My fps drops 40-50 frames running through certain areas. Update 33 is when this all started. Stuttering and frame drops everywhere when BEFORE that update in march there was none.

What exactly was changed in update 33 that killed this game's framerate. If only we knew we could change it ourselves.

Some areas you may want to look. Where are your settings files located? Does that folder have an automated backup such as the One-Drive back up? Try disabling those or moving the locations around. It would help too if you ran task manager in the background and MSI-Afterburner with overlay in the game and say what spikes during those times. Look at CPU/HDD usage on task manager graphs and individual core usage.

Which cpu do you have?