The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

FPS drops after U33

• blktauna
    blktauna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I run no overlays, no backups no nothing on this box. It just runs this game and discord. Frame drop after u33 put me back to playing like I was on OSX 3 years ago. They did something and they need to revert it.
    PCNA
    PCEU
  • Red_Feather
    Red_Feather
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I was just running around and came up to a group of players on a porch. My framerate was fine as I stood there and watched them goof around. When I turned away from them and started to run away, my framerate immediately halved and then recovered back up to normal. And if I turned around and walked back towards them again my framerate would drop by half and then recover back to normal.

I could keep doing it over and over, running back and forth, and it would half my framerate every time. But it wouldn't stay halved. It would quickly go back to normal like something had been interrupted and was recovering. 😯

Edited by Red_Feather on August 7, 2022 7:44PM
  • Red_Feather
    Red_Feather
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I have a question for any devs who might see this. Is there something in the game that might be toggling multi-threaded rendering on and off now? I am just curious.
  • cptscotty
    cptscotty
    ✭✭✭
    I was just running around and came up to a group of players on a porch. My framerate was fine as I stood there and watched them goof around. When I turned away from them and started to run away, my framerate immediately halved and then recovered back up to normal. And if I turned around and walked back towards them again my framerate would drop by half and then recover back to normal.

I could keep doing it over and over, running back and forth, and it would half my framerate every time. But it wouldn't stay halved. It would quickly go back to normal like something had been interrupted and was recovering. 😯

Halving of frame rates usually is a vsync thing. You are not meeting the the minimum requirements so it cuts it down 1 step...which is 1/2 of current fps if used to 60.
  • Red_Feather
    Red_Feather
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    cptscotty wrote: »

Halving of frame rates usually is a vsync thing. You are not meeting the the minimum requirements so it cuts it down 1 step...which is 1/2 of current fps if used to 60.

I thought so too at one point. So I tried limiting my frames to 30 and then turning v-sync off but what happened is my fps would be at 30 and then suddenly plummet and then recover. I could not figure out why it would bottom out even when capping frames at 30. So I put it back to default settings, 100 fps and v-sync on. Which gives me 60fps for the most part.

What is so frustrating is that from September of last year to March of this year my game ran perfectly fine, 60fps constantly with only the occasional drop to 55 very briefly, and all on higher settings. After march I have spent so much time trying to get it to not stutter and frame drop when passing players.

I was in a group in cyrodiil today and my fps stayed at 60 the whole time until two specific points where it was so unstable. I was stealthed watching enemy players pass by and every once in a while, my fps would just plummet and recover. Even if it was just a couple of people passing by.
    Edited by Red_Feather on August 8, 2022 1:23AM
  • emilyhyoyeon
    emilyhyoyeon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Just stopped in again to say this hasn't been fixed for me.

I have the exact same experience with the frame drops as Red_Feather. And also coincidentally Cyrodiil is the only area/zone in the game where I don't seem to ever get the FPS highlowhighlowhighlow.

The consistent inconsistency is so unpleasant. I feel like it would be less awful having permanently low frames than this stuttering or whatever lol.
    IGN @ emilypumpkin
    Zirasia Firemaker, imperial fire mage & sunbather _ Deebaba Soul-Weaver, argonian spirit minder & soul gem collector
    Tullanisse Starborne, altmer battlemage & ayleid researcher _ Qa'Rirra, khajiit assassin & dancer
  • Dottzgaming
    Dottzgaming
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Curious if this ever got fixed for anyone? About to try the new patch and am curious if i'll still be greeted by this problem.
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Curious if this ever got fixed for anyone? About to try the new patch and am curious if i'll still be greeted by this problem.

I don’t know if it was fixed in the PC patch today, but it still happens all the time in cities on console. Seems to generally be worst when after a loading screen or interacting with something.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• dadester
    dadester

No changes here
  • PeacefulAnarchy
    PeacefulAnarchy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I changed my maxcore setting back to -1 from 2 and it seems to be better; I'm not getting the severe CPU spikes I was getting before and when I do get spikes (on load screens) they're split second things rather than multi second full stalls. Haven't done anything over demanding, but some walks in some busy places seem to not have the severe dps drops they did when update 33 launched and that were still there when update 34 launched.

So while I don't know if they fixed everything they do seem to have fixed something in the last couple of months. I'm running on a Ryzen5 2600X 6core CPU.
  • Red_Feather
    Red_Feather
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I changed my maxcore setting back to -1 from 2 and it seems to be better; I'm not getting the severe CPU spikes I was getting before and when I do get spikes (on load screens) they're split second things rather than multi second full stalls. Haven't done anything over demanding, but some walks in some busy places seem to not have the severe dps drops they did when update 33 launched and that were still there when update 34 launched.

So while I don't know if they fixed everything they do seem to have fixed something in the last couple of months. I'm running on a Ryzen5 2600X 6core CPU.

Nah, it's not fixed. I just logged in and ran from stormhaven wayshrine to undaunted camp. Something I've done for years. It stutters every single time both ways. Not as bad as back in march, but it is so bad still. I'm going to pronounce this dead at this point.
  • PeacefulAnarchy
    PeacefulAnarchy
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Nah, it's not fixed. I just logged in and ran from stormhaven wayshrine to undaunted camp. Something I've done for years. It stutters every single time both ways. Not as bad as back in march, but it is so bad still. I'm going to pronounce this dead at this point.
    Sorry to hear that. I do have multithreading turned off and it has been working ok for me today.
  • ixthUA
    ixthUA
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    On my PC lags are gone. I changed 2 things:
    - removed all overlays (reshade, discord, steam, gpu driver, afterburner);
    - upgraded gpu from RX 480 to RX 6650 XT.
  • blktauna
    blktauna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't use overlays. Glad you found something that helped you.
    PCNA
    PCEU
  • Red_Feather
    Red_Feather
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I just logged in. Not many players and still stuttering. And I have upgrade my hardware in multiple ways. I cannot believe how hopeless this is. And not one single care from the people making the game. I guess we are all nothing.
  • Dottzgaming
    Dottzgaming
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry to hear that. I do have multithreading turned off and it has been working ok for me today.

Ill try that and see if it helps. It did nothing for me last patch, but maybe this one will be different.
    With it on, i can say that the issue is less severe but still present for sure. Game is playable, but holy heck its choppy in cyrodiil as enemies start to load.

EDIT: No dice, actually made it worse
    Edited by Dottzgaming on September 8, 2022 9:58PM
  • emilyhyoyeon
    emilyhyoyeon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah I'm also still having the same issue with the same intensity and frequency. After 6 months, kind of really depressing at this point.
    IGN @ emilypumpkin
    Zirasia Firemaker, imperial fire mage & sunbather _ Deebaba Soul-Weaver, argonian spirit minder & soul gem collector
    Tullanisse Starborne, altmer battlemage & ayleid researcher _ Qa'Rirra, khajiit assassin & dancer
  • dadester
    dadester
    At this rate, i'm not expecting any improvements until a new update comes to this specific forum post from someone with ZOS in their name
  • Fabi95
    Fabi95
    ✭✭✭
    I'm still experiencing the same issue and a friend as well. Adjusting the "MaxCoresToUse.4" value has become a mandatory workaround to keep CPU usage lower and framerate stable. ZOS needs to look what engine changes they made for update 33, since that is when it all started.

Maybe it's notable to say that when using a HDD for ESO, even when the HDD is 100% busy, ESO also uses 100% CPU and 100% GPU usage during a loading screen. This is not after a first time start, it's when the actual shadercache was already compiled. Once the HDD is no longer 100% busy, the GPU and CPU usage strangely goes down as well, as if ESO does real content loading now instead of "spinning".
    It's like as if ESO has code in loading screens that is spinning at maximum speed for no discernible reason. I do recall that ZOS made a change to unlock framerate during loading screens, apparently to improve loading speed. Where my second best guess would be that something went wrong after that change was implemented. And that this "code spinning" might also possibly occur in cities when loading character assets.

The vanishing of a cache-related entry in the usersettings file is still suspicious too. Which is something ZOS could use to possibly narrow down this issue.
    Edited by Fabi95 on September 13, 2022 3:27PM
  • Red_Feather
    Red_Feather
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Fabi95 wrote: »
    The vanishing of a cache-related entry in the usersettings file is still suspicious too. Which is something ZOS could use to possibly narrow down this issue.

I noticed that too!

My old settings file I saved has this....

SET GraphicsDriver.7 "D3D11"
    SET PatchDataPath "game:/GameData/"
    SET CacheDataPath "machine:/Cache/"
    SET ViewedAddOnEULAVersion "5"

The new one has this...

SET GraphicsDriver.7 "D3D11"
    SET PatchDataPath "game:/GameData/"
    SET ViewedAddOnEULAVersion "5"

How come the Cache DataPath is missing I wonder.
  • dadester
    dadester
    I wonder when we'll get another update on this, there doesn't seem to have been any changes or real updates i've seen
  • Red_Feather
    Red_Feather
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    dadester wrote: »
    I wonder when we'll get another update on this, there doesn't seem to have been any changes or real updates i've seen

I created a support ticket long ago and the last reply I got was in first week of September saying it was escalated. But that was it. Nothing after that. Maybe it is being worked on, but I don't think any players know anything.
  • dadester
    dadester
    Any update ZoS?
  • AvalonRanger
    AvalonRanger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In my case, group dungeon FPS became terrible recently.

After new "Galen" area added, group dungeon FPS become too
    much low, and almost unplayable quality.
    My playing time Mon-Friday UTC13:00-16:00 [PC-NA] CP over2000 now.
    I have [1Tough tank] [1StamSorc-DD] [1Necro-DD] [1Real Healer]
    But, I'm Tank main player. Recently I'm doing Healer.

2023/12/21
    By the way...Dungeon-Meshi(One of Famous Japanese fantasy story comic book) got finale...
    Good-bye "King of Monster Eater".
  • dadester
    dadester
    No change btw
  • dadester
    dadester
    I think.. it got worst....
  • Zastrix
    Zastrix
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yep the FPS is still insanely bad and there is no fix. I have created a thread but because of the sheer incompetency after MONTHS of the threads' existence I asked for it to be locked because I don't want to even bother to spend the minimum possible amount of effort here, or rather the same effort they are giving to fix this issue.

Switching to Linux Proton GE 'kinda' fixed the issue for me. It works *better* but not *good*. I can barely hit 50 fps in some zones with a beefy PC which can run both doom eternal and witcher 3 on max settings at 150fps.
    110-114k Stage 4 Vamprie Magblade u39
    Aldmeri Dominion did nothing wrong in Shadowfen.
  • Parasaurolophus
    Parasaurolophus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zastrix wrote: »
    Yep the FPS is still insanely bad and there is no fix. I have created a thread but because of the sheer incompetency after MONTHS of the threads' existence I asked for it to be locked because I don't want to even bother to spend the minimum possible amount of effort here, or rather the same effort they are giving to fix this issue.

Switching to Linux Proton GE 'kinda' fixed the issue for me. It works *better* but not *good*. I can barely hit 50 fps in some zones with a beefy PC which can run both doom eternal and witcher 3 on max settings at 150fps.

This problem went away for me after u35, but it scares me that this problem persists with other players. Oh, I'm now afraid to upgrade my PC next year. What is your config?
    PC/EU
  • Zastrix
    Zastrix
    ✭✭✭✭
    This problem went away for me after u35, but it scares me that this problem persists with other players. Oh, I'm now afraid to upgrade my PC next year. What is your config?

From what I saw don't go with an i7-9700k and Z390D motherboard. As long as you go with an AMD CPU it shouldn't be an issue.
    110-114k Stage 4 Vamprie Magblade u39
    Aldmeri Dominion did nothing wrong in Shadowfen.
  • Red_Feather
    Red_Feather
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Zastrix wrote: »

From what I saw don't go with an i7-9700k and Z390D motherboard. As long as you go with an AMD CPU it shouldn't be an issue.

My computer was an amd fx8350 and the stuttering was really bad. It's part of why I stopped playing eso last year. I have a ryzen 5600 now and it's okay. But that cpu is overkill for a game this ancient.