The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Dye mount armor option (request)

Ringing_Nirnroot
Ringing_Nirnroot
✭✭✭✭✭
It would be awesome if we had the option to dye our mount’s armor in the future :)
Edited by ZOS_Icy on May 29, 2022 5:44PM
  • Fischblut
    Fischblut
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I would also love to dye our whole mount and effects, not just armor <3

But even simply dying their armor would be step in right direction - it would allow us to match the mount's accessories with armor of our character. I would spend lot of time at outfit station again :)

They could even separate this - let everyone dye mount's armor, and let subscribers dye mount's body and effects :o
  • WeerW3ir
    WeerW3ir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    do i smell horse armor dlc? 🤨
  • Sarannah
    Sarannah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It would be awesome if we had the option to dye our mount’s armor in the future :)
    That would be cool!

Besides that, I would also love it if we could remove the horsefeeding visual upgrades from mounts. As those make some mounts look really bad.
  • Lugaldu
    Lugaldu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I already see pink Guars everywhere, equipped with orange gear and a rider in shiny purple armor on them ... sounds great.
  • Parasaurolophus
    Parasaurolophus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    God please no .... The players and their mounts are already full of colors.
    PC/EU
  • SickleCider
    SickleCider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Sarannah wrote: »
    That would be cool!

Besides that, I would also love it if we could remove the horsefeeding visual upgrades from mounts. As those make some mounts look really bad.

You can! Options --> Gameplay --> Hide mount stamina, etc.
    ✨🐦✨ Blackfeather Court Commission ✨🐦✨
  • Ringing_Nirnroot
    Ringing_Nirnroot
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Not all of us have the same taste :)
    Edited by Ringing_Nirnroot on March 15, 2021 3:06PM
  • SickleCider
    SickleCider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Yeah if anything I'd be making a lot of the luridly colored mounts more subdued.
  • Enemy-of-Coldharbour
    Enemy-of-Coldharbour
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been bringing this up for years. Doubt it will happen; but nice if it did.

Silivren (Silly) Thalionwen | Altmer Templar | Magicka | 9-Trait Master Crafter/Jeweler | Master Angler | PVE Main - Killed by U35
    Jahsul at-Sahan | Redguard Sorcerer | Stamina | Werewolf - Free Bites | PVP Main
    Derrok Gunnolf | Redguard Dragonknight | Stamina | Werewolf - Free Bites
    Liliana Littleleaf | 9-Trait Grand Master Crafter/Jeweler (non-combat)
    Amber Emberheart | Breton Dragonknight | Stamina | Master Angler
    Vlos Anon | Dunmer Nightblade | Magicka | Vampire - Free Bites
    Kalina Valos | Dunmer Warden | Magicka | Vampire - Free Bites
    Swiftpaws-Moonshadow | Khajiit Nightblade | Stamina
    Morgul Vardar | Altmer Necromancer | Magicka
    Tithin Geil | Altmer Sorceress | Magicka
    Dhryk | Imperial Dragonknight | Stamina

Guild Master - ESO Traders Union
    PC/NA - CP 2250+
  • Lugaldu
    Lugaldu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Of course, everyone has a different taste and it is good that way.

But I would like to ask it as a serious question: Does anyone really find it beautiful or aesthetic to run around in pink armor? Or do you just do it to annoy the other players or just because you can do it?

• Ringing_Nirnroot
    Ringing_Nirnroot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lugaldu wrote: »

But I would like to ask it as a serious question: Does anyone really find it beautiful or aesthetic to run around in pink armor? Or do you just do it to annoy the other players or just because you can do it?

There’s people who like bright colors etc, I doubt majority of them dye their costume like that to annoy people. They just want to look unique i guess, idk. Doesn’t mean we shouldn’t be allowed to dye mounts just because those people have a taste for bright stuff :) it won’t affect me tbh
    Edit: there’s nothing wrong with liking pink/ bright colors :)
    Edited by Ringing_Nirnroot on March 15, 2021 4:05PM
  • SickleCider
    SickleCider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Okay, I do have a question in response to your question: what's wrong with pink?

Some people do like bright and feminine colors. There's nothing wrong with that, and those colors aren't less realistic because they're bright and feminine. I think what you're responding to is uh, I guess the fact that good design and a sense of color composition are not a native understanding.

Mind you, I'd dye everything black. But that's me, not other people.

EDIT: My post was a mess. I had started to type in a response, lost it, somehow retained the original, double quoted. 🤦‍♀️ I'm on mobile.
    Edited by SickleCider on March 15, 2021 4:01PM
  • Ringing_Nirnroot
    Ringing_Nirnroot
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Okay, I do have a question in response to your question: what's wrong with pink?

More to the point: why that color, or any specific color?

Why pink?

Some people do like bright and feminine colors. There's nothing wrong with that, and those colors aren't less realistic because they're bright and feminine. I think what you're responding to is uh, I guess the fact that good design and a sense of color composition are not a native understanding.

Mind you, I'd dye everything black. But that's me, not other people.

Same here xD everything black on majority of my characters
  • INe_Saninus
    INe_Saninus
    ✭✭✭
    As much as struggle trying to match a mount to whatever awesome new look I've made for my toon... I definitely support this.
  • scorpius2k1
    scorpius2k1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I already see pink Guars everywhere, equipped with orange gear and a rider in shiny purple armor on them ... sounds great.

I already see pink outfits, equipped with orange weapons and a hat in shiny purple. I agree, without sarcasm, it does sound great as well to be able to for our mounts to match our characters as we see fit.

I don't see the problem here, regardless of "why" players choose to do it. Let them have fun. The point of a game and adds more variety, yes? If changing the color of something is a problem, then maybe the color isn't the actual problem. Js.
    🌎 PC/NA
    🐧 Linux (Arch)
    🧑‍💻 ESO Addon Dev
    ⚔️ Stamplar | Magplar | Stamcro | Magsorc | Magcro Healer
  • Lugaldu
    Lugaldu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Some people do like bright and feminine colors. There's nothing wrong with that, and those colors aren't less realistic because they're bright and feminine.

Well, I'm not saying anything against someone liking pink (by the way, I also color everything black) and we are also in a fantasy environment. But in this fantasy environment, almost everything else has a subtle and natural color scheme and is often based on real cultures or cultures that once existed. We don't find any medieval-looking stone buildings whose walls are painted bright purple. The armor is made of leather, wood, bone, scales and metal and in the past these materials could only be colored to a certain degree. I don't like armor that looks like it is part of the fairground - For me at least, it's immersion destroying. Another thing is robes and dresses, dyeing fabrics in bright colors is much more realistic than dyeing a cuirass.

Edit: I also do not consider e.g. red and purple as "feminine" colors. Today it is maybe seen rather "feminine", but in ealier times purple was the color of the kings, made from precious purple snails.
    Edited by Lugaldu on March 15, 2021 5:46PM
  • Parasaurolophus
    Parasaurolophus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Every time I create an outfit for my characters, choose a mount for them or furnish a house, I always ask myself - what would a single part look like? Does it look friendly to the setting? I understand that not all players care about setting and lore. But honestly, I would like the function to disable outfits. I fell in love with the world of scrolls "ordinary" and "mundane" and sometimes I really feel uncomfortable with the abundance of too artistic outfits and bright mounts. Excuse me ...
    Edited by Parasaurolophus on March 15, 2021 8:41PM
    PC/EU
  • Fischblut
    Fischblut
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I've been bringing this up for years. Doubt it will happen; but nice if it did.

We need to keep requesting this feature :) Some things which previously were not even planned, became true after time. Alliance Change feature, for example.

For my taste, it's much better to see shiny/colorful players and mounts in a dull world :)
    I do writs in Vivec city, and it's such a depressing area, so many bland-looking players (of course, lot of them are newbies and don't have many dyes/fancy costumes). It becomes much better when I see somebody with pretty colorful outfit or mount.
    But honestly, I would like the function to disable outfits.

While I would never use it, I don't mind if there was such option for people who don't like shiny things.

I made these rough examples of "dyed" mounts very long time ago:

zWxjsIm.jpg

EFr73gc.jpg

Green-Graht senche became Spectral Senche, Flame Atronach senche became Coldflame Atronach senche :smiley:
    Edited by Fischblut on March 15, 2021 10:13PM
  • Sarannah
    Sarannah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    That would be cool!

Omg, never knew this! Thank you very much!

When I turn them all off, my character changes size/appearance(height and hips mostly), is this bugged somehow?
  • SickleCider
    SickleCider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    That would be cool!

Omg, never knew this! Thank you very much!

When I turn them all off, my character changes size/appearance(height and hips mostly), is this bugged somehow?

Oh, that's weird. I've never seen that before. Can you post screenshots?
  • SickleCider
    SickleCider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Some people do like bright and feminine colors. There's nothing wrong with that, and those colors aren't less realistic because they're bright and feminine.

Well, I'm not saying anything against someone liking pink (by the way, I also color everything black) and we are also in a fantasy environment. But in this fantasy environment, almost everything else has a subtle and natural color scheme and is often based on real cultures or cultures that once existed. We don't find any medieval-looking stone buildings whose walls are painted bright purple. The armor is made of leather, wood, bone, scales and metal and in the past these materials could only be colored to a certain degree. I don't like armor that looks like it is part of the fairground - For me at least, it's immersion destroying. Another thing is robes and dresses, dyeing fabrics in bright colors is much more realistic than dyeing a cuirass.

Edit: I also do not consider e.g. red and purple as "feminine" colors. Today it is maybe seen rather "feminine", but in ealier times purple was the color of the kings, made from precious purple snails.

Weeeeeeeeeell. Okay, I get the essence of what you're saying. For the most part the color schemes they have chosen for their NPCs and dwellings are rather subdued. And yes, tis well true, that coloring metal was (still is) a tricky thing to do. (I like to color my metal metal colors, because that's the way I like it looking). I have no qualms with bright dyes on fabric and leather, though. I think it's a misconception that things in the far flung history were always neutrally colored. Different cultures had varying degrees of ostentatiousness with color and access to different kinds of dyes. But! We seem to agree about fabrics, and I think our overall aesthetic is probably about the same.

You know, I actually did consider going back to edit my post and make a qualifying statement about referring to pink as a "feminine" color. I agree the whole thing about color gender is bunk. It's a very ethnocentric way to look at things, and even in very "Western" cultures it's subject to change. (Pink used to be a masculine color!) It was a shorthand I used to address the fact that some people dismiss some colors as being too "girly," as if that's inherently a wrong thing.

I think actually we agree about stuff. 👍 I think our only difference is that I'm not as bothered by the (sometimes questionable) choices other people make. I figure a breakdown of aesthetic cohesion is inevitable when you're playing an MMO.
  • waterfairy
    waterfairy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I want to be able to dye the mounts skin/fur as well because it's lame to see the same exact mount on other players...especially something like the new welwa that's everywhere. More customization is needed to be a special snowflake in MMORPGs
  • Wildberryjack
    Wildberryjack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mount armor dye, I WISH! Sometimes X mount is perfect for my transmog, at least the critter is, but the mount armor? Not so much. Ugh.
    The purpose of art is washing the dust of daily life off our souls. ~Pablo Picasso
  • NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dyeing the tack would be nice. I don't want the mount itself to be dyeable but the tack can be quite frustrating sometimes. I know one mount I've which has black tack, I'd want a lighter brown or something.
    They could just limit the dyes useable if needed.
    [Lie] Of course! I don't even worship Daedra!
  • Lugaldu
    Lugaldu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's a misconception that things in the far flung history were always neutrally colored.

Right! Take, for example, ancient Greek statues - they weren't shiny white, but painted in bright colors (blue, red, brown, black colors especially).
    I think actually we agree about stuff. 👍 I think our only difference is that I'm not as bothered by the (sometimes questionable) choices other people make. I figure a breakdown of aesthetic cohesion is inevitable when you're playing an MMO.

Agree.

You have to let people do their thing the way they like it as long as it is about harmless things, and try not to be bothered by certain things that you would do differently yourself. For the aforementioned reasons, as far as the dyeability of materials is concerned, I would still be in favor of more realistic options / a limitation in colors. A pink horse with a pink saddle simply fits, for my taste, more into a Barbie world than into Tamriel. Maybe lately I've seen just too much designs like this in a concentrated form...

• waterfairy
    waterfairy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I remember the same argumemt was brought up long ago about not dying weapons because they thought the land would be full of skittles warriors yet there's only a few that I see who go full fruity colors. There's already pink and purple colored magic mounts so what's the harm in adding the option to custom color our mounts and their armor?
  • Stille_desAethers
    Stille_desAethers
    ✭✭✭
    I appreciate the fixed anatomy of the mounts. As with toons, unless special skins are earned/purchased, their bodies have reason to remain their natural colors (or be altered within reason, e.g. vampirism).

However, I don't see why we shouldn't be able to dye their gear like we dye rider gear. Saddle, bags, bridle, cuffs are not an anatomical component of most mounts :)

I'd love to color-coord mount gear with their riders'– even if it is account-wide, as with costumes.
    That would be a step in the right direction.
    Aus der Engel Ordnungen is a bald, bespectacled, Dunmer vampire with an affection for Dwarven tech. She cannot hear you scream. "For beauty really is nothing but the beginning of terror..."
  • EozZoe1989
    EozZoe1989
    ✭✭✭
    this is a super idea.. but its up to the owners of the game.. and most imprtant stuff that should been in the game all along is not lol .,..
  • ZOS_Icy
    ZOS_Icy
    mod
    Greetings,

We have closed this topic as it was originally created in March 2021. In many cases, it's better to create a new thread on a topic that you want to discuss as opposed to bumping one that is rather old.

Thank you for your understanding.
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.