The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

FPS drops after U33

• KairanD
    KairanD
    ✭✭✭
    ixthUA wrote: »
    For example i7-9700k will hit 100% use and start stuttering.
    It shouldn't in this game. There is something very wrong with the game as it is now.
  • ixthUA
    ixthUA
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    KairanD wrote: »
    It shouldn't in this game. There is something very wrong with the game as it is now.

It should. Decompression uses all cores, and its a quite weak 4 years old CPU.
  • tomfant
    tomfant
    ✭✭✭✭
    U can run ESO on a potato laptop CPU just fine. It struggles with more powerful high core-count CPUs.
  • KairanD
    KairanD
    ✭✭✭
    No, it shouldn't. ESO is a light game to run, and even my i5 4670K used to be more than enough. It was butter smooth, even when playing PvP. Then U33 came and broke everything.

CPUs like the i7 9700K are much more powerful than what is necessary to play ESO very well.
  • Red_Feather
    Red_Feather
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

The game ran fine before update 33 in march. And then coincidentally the shadowcache path line went missing in the ESO settings file. Now the game appears to have to compile everything again and again so much that cpu usage has increased to levels not acceptable for a 10 year old game.... and on some systems it chokes the whole thing up to become a stutterfest.

And after months of it there is not one official rep post here.

The people in charge care more about selling the next thing than ensuring that the software works properly.
  • ixthUA
    ixthUA
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think before update 33 game used 1-2 cores to decompress textures, so there was no stutter, only distant blank textures. Now game uses all available cores, so old CPUs have stutter problem.
    I prefer ESO in its current state - game and zones load in seconds on my 16 core CPU.
  • Red_Feather
    Red_Feather
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Why does nobody care?!
    Edited by Red_Feather on May 20, 2022 5:44PM
  • KairanD
    KairanD
    ✭✭✭
    So it was an intentional and accessibile is gone. Good to know. [snip]
    It's definitely not intentional. The game isn't using the cache that it needs to use. You're right about having to compile it again and again because it's not being stored and addressed properly. And because of that there is a lot of people with recent hardware also complaining in this very topic.

A powerful CPU is not necessary to run this 10 year old game that lists Core i5 2300 or FX 4350 as recommended CPUs (and Core i3 540 or AMD A6-3620 as minimum). This is not Battlefield 2042.

When the crazy "full mailbox bug" came along, Zenimax was also silent for months. I was unable to play because I couldn't get rewards for dungeons or anything. So, being - almost - unable to play because of a bug is not something new here.

[edited to remove quote]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on May 20, 2022 5:18PM
  • ixthUA
    ixthUA
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I recorded a video to investigate if it's ShaderCache causing stutters.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpvipM1WoK8
    Edited by ixthUA on May 20, 2022 7:09PM
  • Chiaroscuro
    Chiaroscuro
    ✭✭✭
    Daeymon wrote: »
    Just to reiterate here what I said on the PC Technical Support equivalent on this thread. I ran a little experiment with my computer which is packing a Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070 (on the most recent drivers).

I turned off all addons, and either turned off all graphical settings or turned them down to their lowest option. So with my game looking like absolute trash, I went for a ride through Stormhaven and my FPS still was dropping into the 40's.

I've run this experiment in the past when I've had similar FPS issues, and the culprit has always been an addon or a new graphical setting. So normally when I put in into the trash state, my FPS stays at max, and then as I start the process of elimination by turning stuff back on, bit by bit and I eventually find what causes the drop. Never have I had the FPS drop while in trash mode. Quite curious.

Oh so it's not just me, thats what I came here to check. Daggerfall is like a slideshow sometimes, its bloody awful.
  • ixthUA
    ixthUA
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For those who didnt watch video, it's not shadercache that causes stutter. Upgrading CPU to at least 16 logical cores should fix the problem.
  • Parasaurolophus
    Parasaurolophus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For those who didnt watch video, it's not shadercache that causes stutter. Upgrading CPU to at least 16 logical cores should fix the problem.

You do not understand that before the update the game worked absolutely fine? And what players complain about with both fairly powerful and weak hardware.
    PC/EU
  • ixthUA
    ixthUA
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So they updated game client to use all cores to increase loading times. I read entire thread and haven't seen a single powerful CPU user complain.
  • ZOS_Icy
    ZOS_Icy
    mod
    Greetings,

We have recently removed some unnecessary back and forth from this thread. This is a reminder to keep the discussion civil and constructive. Please keep our Community Rules in mind moving forward.

Thank you for your understanding.
    Staff Post
  • KairanD
    KairanD
    ✭✭✭
    We don't know exactly what it is. But maybe the game isn't using the cache the way it should, even if it is generated. Or it is another thing.

Also, the problem is a lot worse in busy areas, like the areas close to the wayshrine in Rawl'kha and Wayrest.
    Life pro tip: upgrade CPU if its usage reaches 100%.
    Life pro tip: if you need a 8-core, 16-thread CPU to play a 10 year old game that lists a Core i5 2300 as the recommended CPU, it's clear that the problem is not your hardware, but the game.

A company like Zenimax would never intentionally do something that breaks the game for the majority of users. That would be a suicidal move.

Maybe you're right when you say that they're trying to improve load times. And, if that's the case, it went wrong.
    So they updated game client to use all cores to increase loading times. I read entire thread and haven't seen a single powerful CPU user complain.
    There are people with processors like the 8-core, 16-thread Ryzen 7 2700 complaining about the slide show FPS at Wayrest. Also Ryzen 7 2700X. Just return one page.
    You do not understand that before the update the game worked absolutely fine? And what players complain about with both fairly powerful and weak hardware.
    It's so wrong to suggest that an update that made this game heavier than AAA 2022 games like BF 2042 is something expected... And I feel sad reading that type of thing.

Anyway, I would like to see an official answer, even if the problem is severe and hard to fix. Problems can and will happen during the development of a software, but it's important to have transparency about them. :wink:
  • LoneStar2911
    LoneStar2911
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Might be unrelated, but I feel the game has gotten more stuttery and non-responsive this week. Several times, I’ve had to interact with something a few times before the game reacts. :/
  • ixthUA
    ixthUA
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are people with processors like the 8-core, 16-thread Ryzen 7 2700 complaining about the slide show FPS at Wayrest. Also Ryzen 7 2700X. Just return one page.
    R7 2700X is 4 years old and only 5% more powerful than 5 years old R7 1800X.
    Edited by ixthUA on May 22, 2022 11:11AM
  • KairanD
    KairanD
    ✭✭✭
    R7 2700X is 4 years old and only 5% more powerful than 5 years old R7 1800X.
    It's still an insanely powerful CPU. It's way, way above what is necessary to play old light games like ESO.

Seeing people with this level of hardware complaining shows how bad this bug is. Let's hope the next maintenance fixes it.
  • ixthUA
    ixthUA
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MMORPGs are one of the most demanding games when there are a lot of players, and ESO had graphics update some time ago.
    2700X has only 1/3 of performance of modern CPUs: https://i.imgur.com/RPzISyw.png like 5950X or 12900K
  • KairanD
    KairanD
    ✭✭✭
    MMORPGs are one of the most demanding games when there are a lot of players, and ESO had graphics update some time ago.
    I really can't believe you're insisting in the idea that this update is something expected. That this level of performance is something expected. That ESO being the most demanding game of all - because no other game makes a Ryzen 7 2700X stutter at a slide show FPS - is something expected.

Yes, ESO had a graphics update sometime ago. It was great and it was working fine. Then U33 came and, all of a sudden and without reason, performance is now much worse. They would never do that intentionally.
    2700X has only 1/3 of performance of modern CPUs: https://i.imgur.com/RPzISyw.png like 5950X or 12900K
    Let's take a look at the Steam Survey (April 2022 results):

ei0cuc8op9c3.png

45,76% of players on Steam have a CPU with 4 or less physical cores. 78,04% of the players have a CPU with 6 or less physical cores.

ESO is an old and very popular game that recommends a Core i5 2300 (or FX 4350, which is weaker) to achieve great performance. Many people play ESO on weak (or not so weak) PCs. At least they used to. ESO is not an AAA game. ESO is not a niche game. ESO is not made for a tiny hardware elite. It was always made to be popular.

A company like Zenimax would never - I repeat, never - make intentionally an abrupt update that breaks the experience for the majority of players. We're not talking about a small reduction in performance, we're talking about a disastrous and abrupt loss for the majority of players. As I said before, it would be a suicidal move (topics like this one show that). Many of my friends stopped playing until this is fixed.

Also, Ryzen 7 2700X was never a top tier enthusiast CPU like a 5950X or a 12900K, so that comparison doesn't make sense. And R7 2700X still is, by all means, an extremely powerful CPU that runs any game fine. Or, at least, games that don't have a severe bug. It may not be the best CPU out there, but it should certainly do better than a Power Point presentation at a wayshrine. Even CPUs way weaker than Ryzen 7 2700X should be fine. And they are, because this is certainly going to be fixed.
  • HeavyESO
    HeavyESO
    ✭✭✭
    Dropping to 47 fps in the Atoll of Immolation with a 980 pro SSD, i7-10700k, 3070ti, 16GB RAM... Did a userbenchmark test and they're all performing above average, what is happening this patch and why have they not responded to it?
  • Xenite
    Xenite
    ✭✭✭
    Also, Ryzen 7 2700X was never a top tier enthusiast CPU like a 5950X or a 12900K

A 2700 is more than capable of chewing through just about any modern game, especially at 1080p. That guy has no clue what the hell he's even talking about. I can run virtually any modern title over 90+ fps with no cpu bottleneck issues.

They hosed something in the multi thread support on 8 core chips. Spiking such high core usage simply standing around other players is not normal. As I said previously my wife's system is nearly identical to mine and she has zero issues on a 6 core processor.

Going from nearly 100 fps to 15-20 in towns after the patch isn't because I need to upgrade lol

Edited by Xenite on May 25, 2022 7:03PM
  • ixthUA
    ixthUA
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Apparently i have idea what i am talking about. You can make your CPU 4 or 6 core by setting affinity for game .exe, but it will not solve stuttering and FPS drops. I recorded a video, you can see that fps drop happens as soon as i enter a crowded area, even on 6 core CPU.
    https://youtu.be/EEEIU8tyxq8
    To solve this, need either a modern CPU, or enable caching (and probably preloading) of textures.
  • Xenite
    Xenite
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently i have idea what i am talking about.

No.... you really don't. :smile:
  • linuxhell
    linuxhell
    ✭✭✭
    Well, i have hardware that i consider good and above average:
    ryzen 7 2700x
    nvidia gtx 1080 ti
    32gb ram
    ssd nvme

After this patch my fps became unstable becoming a roller coaster and the game was really bad to play
    Then change SET MaxCoresToUse.4 "-1" to SET MaxCoresToUse.4 "4" made the game good again although it could still be a little better but i can play it again without major performance issues

I believe we shouldn't have a nasa computer to play this game, there is definitely something wrong with the game
  • Xenite
    Xenite
    ✭✭✭
    linuxhell wrote: »
    I believe we shouldn't have a nasa computer to play this game, there is definitely something wrong with the game

Absolutely nothing wrong with those specs, in fact I would guarantee that setup probably puts you in the top 10-15 percentile of PC players for this game. This seems to be a very specific issue that affects specific cpu's under certain situations (typically only around other players) even then the excessive spikes are only of specific cores for me.

I've seen numerous people say that cutting the core count down greatly improved the problem. And people with far less powerful systems are not having the issue at all.

Trolling and telling people they need to buy a upgrade when they are running a 2700 is just laughable. Why I blocked him, helps weed out the absolute nonsense from people actually trying to resolve this issue.

Edited by Xenite on May 26, 2022 12:18AM
  • Rogue_WolfESO
    Rogue_WolfESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm running ESO on a 10 month old Rog Strix G17 with ryzen 7 5800H, 16gb ram, 3060 rtx. Also experiencing fps drops from 144 to 3 in cyrodiil. Started after the memory upgrades done to NA server
  • NeuroticPixels
    NeuroticPixels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’ve been having issues, too. Last night, my fps suddenly dropped from 100 to 8 while running around in the overland. Just for a second. But enough to be noticeable and annoying. It does this from time to time and wasn’t happening a while back. :(
    Edited by NeuroticPixels on May 27, 2022 3:48PM
    Check out the ReShade I made: Crispy Sharpness
  • jjjozo
    jjjozo
    ✭✭✭
    Playing since February 28, 2016 and I can tell one single thing, this game is on steady decline of PvP performance since the beginning and it has very simple reasons. There was a moment 4-5 years ago when they officially degraded PvP servers performances based on lower interest of player-base for PvP. Also as a simplistic try to remove cheaters from PvP, they made changes in overall client/server task processing distribution to make servers process a lot of tasks previously processed by clients to avoid simple local client hacks, because even simple CheatEngine could make you fly or go through walls or alter health/stamina/magicka pools and regens. These things resulted in permanently increased ping, lag spikes and ability bars freezing on client side. Also health/stamina/magicka pools updates and resource regen updates are 1 to 10 seconds behind actual reality, because under-performing servers must process ridiculously large amount of calculations.

As the main player-base prefers solo PvE, small scale PvE, RP, housing and such things and also PvP player-base is only a little percentage, then capabilities of game servers are adjusted towards that goal. Obviously you don't need big server resources and bandwidth for fighting AI mobs, compared to large scale real time interactions of hundreds of players in Cyrodiil. Economic model of every game is simple, they won't invest money and time in something that is not preferred by players.

This is not a PvP game, PvP won't be fixed, because this is a company as any other company and obviously they must follow certain economic model to earn money. Devs don't decide what to create and what to fix, economic department does.
  • jjjozo
    jjjozo
    ✭✭✭
    Also there are players always preferred by server queues and those are ones with always positive comments. It's most likely only another part of clever economic model to create a little diversity in the community. Just wake up people, this is a real world, miracles don't exist.