Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Dear DPS, using pake order in vet dungeons

• Mayrael
    Mayrael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mindcr0w wrote: »
    Mayrael wrote: »
    I think he meant that title should be "Dear DD" because DPS is personless statistic while we talk about DD - Damage Dealer :)

Oh you youngsters.

DPS was the most widely used shorthand for "person who specializes in damage" for decades in gaming. Especially in online gaming, and double especially in MMO's.

Is "DD" more concise and logical? Yes. But DPS is a perfectly cromulent term that doesn't need "correcting".

Actually term DPS is younger than DD. DD originates before any MMOs :)
    Say no to Toxic Casuals!
    I am doing my best, but I am not a native speaker, sorry.

"Difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including A Realm Reborn-tier overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver&Gold as a "you think you do but you don't"-tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game." - @AlexanderDeLarge
  • Mindcr0w
    Mindcr0w
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Scardan wrote: »
    Somebody who is doing damage is a Damage Dealer. DPS is that thing what he is doing Damage Per Second. Somebody who bakes cakes is baker, not the cake itself. Abbreviations have a definite meaning, it is even silly to discuss this! xD

Oh, you oldies :p.
    You all used abbreviations wrong. For whole decades xD.

Because vernacular and slang are always meant to be taken literally.

What percentage of the time do you actually laugh audibly in meatspace before typing LOL?

When has a significant part of your body ever fallen off when you type LMFAO?

When have you ever experienced actual pain in that same body part when dealing with someone you would describe as a PITA?
    Mayrael wrote: »
    Actually term DPS is younger than DD. DD originates before any MMOs :)

Cometely irrelevant as I clearly stated that DPS has a long history of being the more widely used term. Not the first used.
    Why bother arguing over whether it's DD or DPS, you knew what they meant in either case?

Exactly this. DD's popularity is relatively recent, and it gets the point accross just fine, and people used to using DPS seem completely fine with its use. I've never once seen someone claim DPS is the only acceptable term the way some insist only DD is acceptable. It is quite obnoxious. A real PITA.
    Edited by Mindcr0w on March 17, 2021 12:47PM
  • TheForFeeF
    TheForFeeF
    ✭✭✭
    RedMuse wrote: »
    TheForFeeF wrote: »
    I always go into a PUG dungeon with my Pale Order on. But, the first thing I ask is "real heal or fake heal? So I know to replace my Pale Order & self heal".

If I don't get a reply, it stays on. If you tell me that you are, in fact, a healer, then the ring and self heal get replaced and I do more damage.

The issue is that too many people queue for heal when they are a DD (although, this doesn't bother me as much as fake tank, but that is a different story). So, a Pale Order ring for tank/DD is a must when doing PUG dungeons. But, you should always have a replacement if there is a healer.

On the flip-side, if I ask that, and you don't reply, then complain about not being able to heal me and we wipe... technically, that is on you. After all, I did ask. It isn't that hard to type "yes" or "no"... or even "y" or "n" if you cba to type the rest.

I don't understand...why people just don't kick fake healer if the situation is that bad. I main healer role and doing random normal on each of them since this patch has given me grey hairs when I see someone dying because I can't heal them with ring on.

When doing vet dungeons, you can easily run it with 1 tank 3 DD without any issues. Sometimes, a self-heal is enough, but a Pale Order ring covers the "what-if" situations.

Unfortunately, healers get shafted by a lot of content in this game, so there aren't many of them at all. So, when using the LFG tool, a lot of people fake-heal.

I'd kick a fake-tank in a heartbeat. But, with a fake-heal, I'd rather put on my Pale Order and self-heal and get the dungeons done. If it becomes a problem, I ask if the fake-heal can off-heal, if not, they get kicked and we look for another healer. However, I've never had a problem with a fake healer when I have my self-heal and pale order on.

Now there's some deep hypocrisy for you.

Whats the hypocrisy there?
  • TheForFeeF
    TheForFeeF
    ✭✭✭
    Bucky_13 wrote: »
    I always go into a PUG dungeon with my Pale Order on. But, the first thing I ask is "real heal or fake heal? So I know to replace my Pale Order & self heal".

If I don't get a reply, it stays on. If you tell me that you are, in fact, a healer, then the ring and self heal get replaced and I do more damage.

The issue is that too many people queue for heal when they are a DD (although, this doesn't bother me as much as fake tank, but that is a different story). So, a Pale Order ring for tank/DD is a must when doing PUG dungeons. But, you should always have a replacement if there is a healer.

On the flip-side, if I ask that, and you don't reply, then complain about not being able to heal me and we wipe... technically, that is on you. After all, I did ask. It isn't that hard to type "yes" or "no"... or even "y" or "n" if you cba to type the rest.

Or, you start with it unequipped, as you will find out pretty fast if you're with a healer or not. Usually at the first boss. If you die due to a lack of heals and not due to a one shot you screwed up on then equip the ring.

Problem is, daily pledges may be the only place some people are able to get no-death runs. So I would argue its better to start with it then without it. Usually you can tell if there is a healer by the first or 2nd trash-pack.
  • JanTanhide
    JanTanhide
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LOL. I've seen this quite a bit myself when I run my Healers through PUG runs. Had a DPS post in group chat "Are you even a Healer?" as he proudly ran around wearing his Pale Order ring dying to the damage.

It's easy to tell when someone is wearing it. Just spam BOL at the beginning or Regen and see who gets lit up.
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I only run Pale order in base dungeons or if I know I can solo the dungeon or at least a boss (not considering one shots since Pale Order and healing is irrelevant for those). So pretty much all normal dungeons and all base game Vet dungeons I would run it.

But, with the new CP node, I have actually dropped it from my build this patch, for now at least. We'll see how things shape up with damage mitigation being worse off than before.
  • AyaDark
    AyaDark
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I read to many of pale order ring ... that i want to try it on tank !

Just to see how healer will be happy :blush:
  • Mojmir
    Mojmir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AyaDark wrote: »

18% of damage on a tank? Sounds pitiful, also your heals won't work on others.
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mojmir wrote: »

Pale Order only stops other people from healing you, you can still heal other people if you are wearing it.
  • Mojmir
    Mojmir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jaws343 wrote: »
    Mojmir wrote: »

Pale Order only stops other people from healing you, you can still heal other people if you are wearing it.

Ok cool, but my first point?
  • the1andonlyskwex
    the1andonlyskwex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cirantille wrote: »
    Lol this happened to me when I was tomb healer

The DD in tomb had pale order ring, I tried to spam everything I had and it was not healing

Guess who got the blame

Heheh

:joy:

Had not one but two people think it was a good idea during last boss of vwgt. They just dead on normal waves that spin around. I am like you died because you I couldn't heal you and then I had to waste time reading you because of it.

I wasn't even nice about it either...I was like idiot at the end.

Oh side note...pale order users can still get heals from orbs synergy

Maybe I'm just a potato, but if I'm healing and someone stands in the spinning waves on vwgt, they die, regardless of what ring they're wearing.
  • Starlight_Whisper
    Starlight_Whisper
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't understand...why people just don't kick fake healer if the situation is that bad. I main healer role and doing random normal on each of them since this patch has given me grey hairs when I see someone dying because I can't heal them with ring on.

When doing vet dungeons, you can easily run it with 1 tank 3 DD without any issues. Sometimes, a self-heal is enough, but a Pale Order ring covers the "what-if" situations.

Unfortunately, healers get shafted by a lot of content in this game, so there aren't many of them at all. So, when using the LFG tool, a lot of people fake-heal.

I'd kick a fake-tank in a heartbeat. But, with a fake-heal, I'd rather put on my Pale Order and self-heal and get the dungeons done. If it becomes a problem, I ask if the fake-heal can off-heal, if not, they get kicked and we look for another healer. However, I've never had a problem with a fake healer when I have my self-heal and pale order on.

Not kicking the fake healer but kicking fake tank
  • Starlight_Whisper
    Starlight_Whisper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cirantille wrote: »
    Lol this happened to me when I was tomb healer

The DD in tomb had pale order ring, I tried to spam everything I had and it was not healing

Guess who got the blame

Heheh

:joy:

Had not one but two people think it was a good idea during last boss of vwgt. They just dead on normal waves that spin around. I am like you died because you I couldn't heal you and then I had to waste time reading you because of it.

I wasn't even nice about it either...I was like idiot at the end.

Oh side note...pale order users can still get heals from orbs synergy

Maybe I'm just a potato, but if I'm healing and someone stands in the spinning waves on vwgt, they die, regardless of what ring they're wearing.

With the new patch they can survive with some health or just take minor damage but damage in vwgt is ongoing so they can't keep up after taking wave.
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    zaria wrote: »
    Ekzorka wrote: »
    Damage Per Second. :p
    How does pale order help your dps? you loose your monster set proc or one of your 5 piece bonuses.

Now its nice then soloing stuff but you looses out healing from others and the SPC proc if healer run it.
    It increases your dps by a lot of you combine it with shimmering frenzy. Technically shimmering frenzy is the thing that increases your dps but you need pale order to survive when frenzy is draining 10k hp per sec and more.

Why would anyone run this combination in PVE, let alone group content? Not mocking, genuinely curious.
  • TheForFeeF
    TheForFeeF
    ✭✭✭

Not kicking the fake healer but kicking fake tank

I wouldn't say that is hypocrisy, as it is just playing to the facts.

If you get a fake tank, vet content becomes a lot harder as DD's are squishy. There isn't a way around that as healers may have to stop healing to get away from a boss that isn't taunted due to said fake tank. A healer not healing means dead DD. A dead DD means no DPS.

However, if you get a fake healer, there are easy ways around it, such as slotting a self-heal and putting on Pale Order. On top of that, if you have a tank that is making sure all the boss damage is going to them, the 3 DDs are then able to solely focus on their role. If you have a more than competent group, you can ignore pretty much the majority of the mechanics and just burn the boss.

Basically, a fake tank makes vet content harder and unbearable, to the point it can be rage-inducing. A fake healer doesn't make the content any more difficult then it is already designed to be.

Normal dungeons is a different story all together... You don't need Tanks or Healers at all.

The issue is ZoS has made difficult content easy to the point where you can drop a role. This then creates a gap, so you'd find a lot of healer mains would rather be a DD or a Tank. This then creates longer LFG times. This then creates people queuing as fake healer. Waiting for a healer is a much longer process than waiting for a tank. It is just much more time efficient.

That being said, there are some DLC vet dungeons/HM that I would refuse to run without a proper group.
  • Astrid
    Astrid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because let’s be real, 90% of the healers in this game are straight tragic and I wouldn’t trust them with my life 😂 Pale order stays on unless I know them, i’ve died way too many times to really clueless players. Main healer myself and totally understand if someone wants to take that risk of not doing enough damage to survive, that’s totally on them. But magblade and pale I’m pretty sound for majority of dungeon content (unless it has a shield phase, or a heal debuff like moongrave HM) just looking after myself. Most content doesn’t require a healer sadly.
  • Molydeus
    Molydeus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They do not do damage, they do damage per second, so they are DPS not DD.

DD do damage to kill some thing. DPSwill hit immun target if it just show more numbers.

Every other MMO refers to damage dealers as DPS. It's a habit to call the damage role as "dps".
  • JanTanhide
    JanTanhide
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see this a lot. No big deal to me. When I am on a Healer first thing I do is spam a burst heal as I roll through the group to see who can be healed. It's easy to tell.

In Black Drake just yesterday (PUG) one of the DPS was running it. He kept dying over and over. I typed in Group Chat "Pale Order?". He left the group.

I don't care if anyone runs it, that's your choice. But don't get excited when you die over and over because you cannot be healed by anyone else.
  • deleted221205-002626
    deleted221205-002626
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To get back on topic.. As a healer i know exactly what theyre referring to.. its the fact that half the group is wearing pale order which isnt a dps item but more importantly leaves them LOOKING as though they require heals constantly and the healer spamming and magicka dumping trying to heal them which is impossible.
  • Kahnak
    Kahnak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Molydeus wrote: »
    They do not do damage, they do damage per second, so they are DPS not DD.

DD do damage to kill some thing. DPSwill hit immun target if it just show more numbers.

Every other MMO refers to damage dealers as DPS. It's a habit to call the damage role as "dps".

Some people are just compelled to be a contrarian in order to feel special. Odds are, they probably use DPS interchangeably just like everyone else.
    Tombstone Reads: "Forgot to get good"
  • ZOS_Hadeostry
    Greetings,

We've closed this thread given its age and given that some information may be out of date. If you wish to continue discussing this topic please create a new thread. Thank you for your understanding.
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.