Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 7:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 7
• Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 9, 2:00 UTC (October 8, 10:00PM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)

Pvp doesnt work

dedrah
dedrah
Soul Shriven
Hi,im a new player and this is the first and the last time im making a post
First of all i want to start by saying that this is a beautiful game.the world is beautiful and you have many reasons to explore and visit it.i also like pve in this game, especially the harder content
But i came here to talk about pvp and my opinion on it as a new player.well its not only bad.it just doesnt work.there are times that your gap closers wont work.theyre greyed and wont go off.abilities dont go off.leap wont work.some times
Some other times i see people teleporting or out of reach.there are some abilities that even if you have your target in the targeting cross,you have to lower your mouse so that your target comes in a straight line,like petrify
Templars are broken.immortal,undying,using 1 spam button.toxic barrage is doing 20k damage,nightblades damage is also broken
What is the purpose of dodge in this game.you will get hit anyways.youll get hit at the start of your dodge,in the middle or the end.it doesn't matter.you might survive or you wont.depending on your luck
The maps.omg.who thought that putting 3 teams in such tiny maps was a good idea?it feels like,you are,most of the times,outnumbered.every map is the same.it doesnt matter if the environment is different.they are the same.
Cyrodiil.lag fest.you spamm your button,it never goes off.you write in chat,it appears after 5 minutes.i went there thinking like ill remember my old gw2 days.dissapointing.i never went back
The targeting cross.you need to play very close to your character so that you have higher chance of your abilities to work.thats the first game i see this.as a matter of fact i never played a game that i was praying my abilities to go off
The conclusion.i payed eso plus and wanted to buy blackwood.i wont.no chance.im shocked that they have such a gem in their hands and theyre so not bothered about basic stuff that are expected to work in other games
It seems like pvp could be fun.if it worked.i never played a game in such a bad state though,pvp wise.minimum content after so many years and the lack of creativity is disappointing
  • coletas
    coletas
    ✭✭✭✭
    I agree. Absolutely unplayable since years. For me was the best PvP game, now is simple unplayable.
  • ZeroDPS
    ZeroDPS
    ✭✭✭✭
    +1
    entered cyro 2 times in past and this year, same sh..
  • LostHorizon1933
    LostHorizon1933
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Java programmer?
  • Gaeliannas
    Gaeliannas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Been broken for years... and welcome to ESO!
  • BlossomDead
    BlossomDead
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Java programmer?

I see what you did there and it cracked me up.
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome! We’ve been dealing with the dysfunction for years.

And you can use the TAB key if you’re on PC to target lock. No need to panic click.
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • pleximus
    pleximus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    dedrah wrote: »
    Hi,im a new player and this is the first and the last time im making a post
    First of all i want to start by saying that this is a beautiful game.the world is beautiful and you have many reasons to explore and visit it.i also like pve in this game, especially the harder content
    But i came here to talk about pvp and my opinion on it as a new player.well its not only bad.it just doesnt work.there are times that your gap closers wont work.theyre greyed and wont go off.abilities dont go off.leap wont work.some times
    Some other times i see people teleporting or out of reach.there are some abilities that even if you have your target in the targeting cross,you have to lower your mouse so that your target comes in a straight line,like petrify
    Templars are broken.immortal,undying,using 1 spam button.toxic barrage is doing 20k damage,nightblades damage is also broken
    What is the purpose of dodge in this game.you will get hit anyways.youll get hit at the start of your dodge,in the middle or the end.it doesn't matter.you might survive or you wont.depending on your luck
    The maps.omg.who thought that putting 3 teams in such tiny maps was a good idea?it feels like,you are,most of the times,outnumbered.every map is the same.it doesnt matter if the environment is different.they are the same.
    Cyrodiil.lag fest.you spamm your button,it never goes off.you write in chat,it appears after 5 minutes.i went there thinking like ill remember my old gw2 days.dissapointing.i never went back
    The targeting cross.you need to play very close to your character so that you have higher chance of your abilities to work.thats the first game i see this.as a matter of fact i never played a game that i was praying my abilities to go off
    The conclusion.i payed eso plus and wanted to buy blackwood.i wont.no chance.im shocked that they have such a gem in their hands and theyre so not bothered about basic stuff that are expected to work in other games
    It seems like pvp could be fun.if it worked.i never played a game in such a bad state though,pvp wise.minimum content after so many years and the lack of creativity is disappointing

They've had YEARS to fix this but they haven't. PvP performance has only gotten worse and worse with every update. Hopefully now that Microsoft has bought them real change will come. They seem to care about the Xbox brand unlike ZOS.
  • Sleep724
    Sleep724
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Templar jab, nightblade dab, everybody laggin
    Pvp, aggravation, everybody, complaining
    In the keep, on the siege, no body dying
    Bang bang, ganked again, everybody respawing

All I wanna say is Zos doesn’t really care about us
  • BazOfWar
    BazOfWar
    ✭✭✭✭
    They are now pretending that they care about PvP because the pooh has hit the fan and people have left for newer and fresher games. Content creators and streamers are turning their backs on ESO.

Zos's empty words and false promises are only a smoke screen to try and stop the noose tightening on this neglected game mode.
  • Celephantsylvius_Bornasfinmo
    Celephantsylvius_Bornasfinmo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    'Pressing tab makes no difference....'*stares out into the distance and spits tobacco on the ground*
    'Believe me...I've seen things.'
  • doabhi
    doabhi
    ✭✭✭
    Big agree, PVP is a broken mess. People might say 'Git gud' but there's nothing to 'git' for the 'gud' when the client just ignores your keystrokes half the time. that's if you're lucky, rocking up to a besieged keep with 60+ people inside it?
    Roll the dice! if you don't get a nat 20, enjoy the login screen.
  • Marronsuisse
    Marronsuisse
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah I tried to get into PVP recently. Read a lot of guides, watched videos, put together a beginner PVP build to start practicing. It usually goes like this:

Work my way through buffs. Nothing happens. Barswap. Nothing happens. Try to attack. Nothing happens. Eventually an ability will fire but who knows if it's going to be on the back or front bar.

It's like this even in empty delves or almost empty IC districts.

I knew the PVP folks have been complaining about lag, but I assumed it would still be somewhat playable.
  • neferpitou73
    neferpitou73
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you want to get into PvP I would suggest joining a PvP guild. It's much easier to learn in an environment when you have people supporting you out on the battlefield.

But yes, PvP is broken and has been for years
  • Synaptic
    Synaptic
    ✭✭✭
    And the best part is they have no intention of fixing it, not in 2022 at least.
  • magus.septim
    magus.septim
    ✭✭✭
    Try the no cp campaign. There is no lag there for the most part and skills work. It's actually enjoyable to play pvp how it was intended. The CP campaigns are a total disaster as you have noticed.
    This is why I play ravenwatch. Also, no dark convergence set allowed there.
  • magus.septim
    magus.septim
    ✭✭✭
    BTW, emperor passives are still broken in all campaigns. It's a shame to see the general state of pvp in total shambles . I don't think the Microsoft acquisition is helping the overall situation either.
  • xaraan
    xaraan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yea, PvP has been horrid for years now. A lot of pvp-centric players have left the game for no other reason than not being able to play it.

Abilities not firing off is the least of my problems half the time. It took several seconds for sprint to register the other day every time I hit the button (much like when you hit to mount and it takes a few seconds to appear and mount). Yesterday I hit my quickslot button (no lie) over 40 times while not doing anything else before it consumed by potion. And yea, skills: like I told my friends that asked if the game was performing any better last week: it took me 16 button presses for rapid regen to finally go off one night. This doesn't even count the CTD of the game or freezing up and having to hard restart your whole computer b/c it locks everything up. And of course, numbers always matter, but in lag, its all that matters. A bigger group can just walk in and stack on flags beside you without using abilities to get the win and flip keeps or flags. It really makes you not want to play.

Add to this how the balance is still quite wonky. There will always be meta, I realize that, but some stuff is just broken. Dark Convergence has gone the way of prox det - mostly a tool for use BY zergs instead of against them despite its intention. (And in lag it's instant death b/c you cannot stun break most of the time). IMO, once you stun break out of it, you should be immune to DC for a considerable length of time and it shouldn't snare, just pull in. There are several things you can do to abilities and procs to make them less effective when people stack them, but they usually choose not to bother with any of that.

Every build video you'll see for pvp is like: "be stage 3 vamp" - so vampire has become the same meme option it used to be when they changed it b/c everyone was taking it for the passives. i.e. nobody takes it to be a vampire (except maybe a few RPers) and everyone takes it for stage 3 vamp damage reduction passive in pvp. So that needs fixed, maybe they should have battle spirit cut the buff in half for pvp.

And though they've worked on it - there is still a big problem of players that are so tanky they barely take damage, yet can dish it out. I'm all for tanks, but if they can burst people down, then things aren't very equal. The solution for this probably isn't simple though, you'd almost need to look at specific builds and see if just certain sets were overperforming and address it piece by piece.

And last but not least - the lag hammer. It needs to go. It was a bad idea to begin with, and they've never even bothered changing it out with other weapons like they eluded to when it first came out. It's not the great equalizer like they pitched, it's just the thing that the already stronger group gets a hold of and dominates even more b/c of. It also encourages even more zerg stacking than normal, making the server lag worse.

So to me, it's obvious they just don't care about pvp that much. From obvious balance issues where in some cases it could be easily fixed to performance getting worse patch after patch after patch for years and years despite anything they supposedly do to improve it.

-- @xaraan --
    nightblade: Xaraan templar: Xaraan-dar dragon-knight: Xaraanosaurus necromancer: Xaraan-qa warden: Xaraanodon sorcerer: Xaraan-ra
    AD • NA • PC
  • alberichtano
    alberichtano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Java programmer?

Then perchance explain to us who don't? :p
  • alberichtano
    alberichtano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    xaraan wrote: »
    Yea, PvP has been horrid for years now. A lot of pvp-centric players have left the game for no other reason than not being able to play it.

Abilities not firing off is the least of my problems half the time. It took several seconds for sprint to register the other day every time I hit the button (much like when you hit to mount and it takes a few seconds to appear and mount). Yesterday I hit my quickslot button (no lie) over 40 times while not doing anything else before it consumed by potion. And yea, skills: like I told my friends that asked if the game was performing any better last week: it took me 16 button presses for rapid regen to finally go off one night. This doesn't even count the CTD of the game or freezing up and having to hard restart your whole computer b/c it locks everything up. And of course, numbers always matter, but in lag, its all that matters. A bigger group can just walk in and stack on flags beside you without using abilities to get the win and flip keeps or flags. It really makes you not want to play.

Add to this how the balance is still quite wonky. There will always be meta, I realize that, but some stuff is just broken. Dark Convergence has gone the way of prox det - mostly a tool for use BY zergs instead of against them despite its intention. (And in lag it's instant death b/c you cannot stun break most of the time). IMO, once you stun break out of it, you should be immune to DC for a considerable length of time and it shouldn't snare, just pull in. There are several things you can do to abilities and procs to make them less effective when people stack them, but they usually choose not to bother with any of that.

Every build video you'll see for pvp is like: "be stage 3 vamp" - so vampire has become the same meme option it used to be when they changed it b/c everyone was taking it for the passives. i.e. nobody takes it to be a vampire (except maybe a few RPers) and everyone takes it for stage 3 vamp damage reduction passive in pvp. So that needs fixed, maybe they should have battle spirit cut the buff in half for pvp.

And though they've worked on it - there is still a big problem of players that are so tanky they barely take damage, yet can dish it out. I'm all for tanks, but if they can burst people down, then things aren't very equal. The solution for this probably isn't simple though, you'd almost need to look at specific builds and see if just certain sets were overperforming and address it piece by piece.

And last but not least - the lag hammer. It needs to go. It was a bad idea to begin with, and they've never even bothered changing it out with other weapons like they eluded to when it first came out. It's not the great equalizer like they pitched, it's just the thing that the already stronger group gets a hold of and dominates even more b/c of. It also encourages even more zerg stacking than normal, making the server lag worse.

So to me, it's obvious they just don't care about pvp that much. From obvious balance issues where in some cases it could be easily fixed to performance getting worse patch after patch after patch for years and years despite anything they supposedly do to improve it.

Sooo much that. I play a tank myself but even I get tired of meeting uber gamers that can just laugh their way through dozens of enemies with no chance of getting killed.

I would argue that it would be fairly easy to end those issues - there are already caps for different defenses and such. They need to be nerfed or rebalanced. Maybe mass healing skills need to get nerfed in PvP (which stings to say because I don't want to be mean to healers), or defensive values lowered. Or a bit of both.

(Awaiting the hatestorm of doom for my suggestions) ;)
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BTW, emperor passives are still broken in all campaigns.

They haven't commented on that yet. Maybe it's the new "working as intended." You never know with these folks. I mean, they said Dark Convergence "unintended behavior" was fixed, but it still pulls through walls and doors, and off balconies. That part of it must be intended then. So we can't really know what is bugged and intended unless they speak up.

Edited by Jaraal on April 14, 2022 8:02PM
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • Mayrael
    Mayrael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Java programmer?

Then perchance explain to us who don't? :p

It's because of dots in OP post. It's a so called member operator used to access class or package member, in other words it is used almost in every line in a code :)

Edit:
    Oh and it looks like this:
    System.out.println(i);

Edited by Mayrael on April 14, 2022 8:18PM
    Say no to Toxic Casuals!
    I am doing my best, but I am not a native speaker, sorry.

"Difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including A Realm Reborn-tier overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver&Gold as a "you think you do but you don't"-tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game." - @AlexanderDeLarge
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Title Response: No it does not. End of story.
  • Synaptic
    Synaptic
    ✭✭✭
    No worries though, they're coming out with a fully fleshed out card game system that even has ranking because they think that's PvP.
  • React
    React
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    6 years of steadily degrading performance. Every single patch in the past 6 years that was intended to improve something has done the opposite with 100% consistency, as far as pvp goes.

They had a "year of performance" two or three years ago with a roadmap with quartley improvements fully mapped out. That year actually was the largest downgrade in performance patch-to-patch to date.

They changed blocking functionality, one of the most crucial and core mechanics to combat with the intention of "streamlining combat and making block more fluid", while claiming it wouldn't affect animation cancelling or ability usage at all. It totally broke animation cancelling across the entire board, and was the catalyst of many of the "abilities not firing" issues that you have today. They never acknowledged this or rolled their change back.

[snip]
    [edited for bashing]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on April 15, 2022 1:32PM
    @ReactSlower - PC/NA - 2000+ CP
    React Faster - XB/NA - 1500+ CP
    Content
    Twitch.tv/reactfaster
    Youtube.com/@ReactFaster
  • Molydeus
    Molydeus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BazOfWar wrote: »
    Content creators and streamers are turning their backs on ESO.

Have never, ever been a significant part of ESO.
  • MentalxHammer
    MentalxHammer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let this thread be a testimony to the devs as to why they need to focus on PvP. So many new and veteran players are turned off from this amazing game just because of sheer neglect.
  • Synaptic
    Synaptic
    ✭✭✭
    Molydeus wrote: »
    BazOfWar wrote: »
    Content creators and streamers are turning their backs on ESO.

Have never, ever been a significant part of ESO.

That's why everyone's running the builds they put together and post.

Go into a dungeon or battleground and you'll see the same proc sets and skills being used by 80-85% of the players.
  • dedrah
    dedrah
    Soul Shriven
    Ive quit pvp and i might as well quit the game since i cant pvp.its a beautiful game but pvp is trash.you dodge,you get hit,players out of reach when youre on top,your stun breakers dont work properly,petrify doesnt work properly.nah this is trash,other games are in this state in alpha
    Edited by dedrah on April 17, 2022 12:10PM
  • Feaky
    Feaky
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, its total garbage now. I used to play daily, but now basically go into Cyro once a month on each of my toons for the transmutes and that's about it. The problems are so obvious that I have to believe the devs never played PVP or this stuff would be fixed. Either that or they just don't care.
  • Celephantsylvius_Bornasfinmo
    Celephantsylvius_Bornasfinmo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just keep getting random crashes now. I repaired last night, but didn't bother relogging back in.
    Will check later, but the latest update + the ongoing context has choked Cyrodill to death.
    Edited by Celephantsylvius_Bornasfinmo on April 17, 2022 3:47PM