The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 6:
· [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
· [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)

Forum Suggestion: 'Disagree With Comment' feature

• S0Z0H
    S0Z0H
    ✭✭✭
    I think having a disagree button makes sense if you have an Agree button. But idk, Zenimax would probably make us all download a 10 gig patch or something , and then random bugs would occur all over the forum, like your profile might get locked out for 10 hours or something. Then you'd have to login with your low level forum toon and hope that doesn't get locked out either, and profile achievements would prolly be missing in the forum. That 100th agree achievement ? Gone.

So ya, let's keep the devs away from the forum. Adding a Disagree button would most likely bottleneck the site server, and it would crash
    Edited by S0Z0H on April 1, 2022 8:44AM
    Options
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I voted no, but now I kinda wish I had voted yes. I normally am not a fan, but this forum rule called "unnecessary back and forth." Which just means two or more people having a discussion where they are disagreeing with one another, but weren't flaming each other so wouldn't be against the rules for flaming.

A disagree button would allow people to dissent without getting in trouble. What's the point in promoting a discussion where people hash out disagreement if that isn't allowed anyway.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on April 1, 2022 8:53AM
    Options
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    vsrs_au wrote: »
    Danikat wrote: »
    I've used forums with disagree buttons and I never found it particularly helpful. As other people have said it doesn't contribute anything useful to the discussion because it's too vague and open to interpretation. If you post a suggestion and someone says why they disagree you can respond with clarification, suggested changes, a more persuasive argument, whatever might be needed to address their point/s. If literally all you know is that someone, somewhere disagreed with it you can't do that, so the discussion goes no where.

That's true even for seemingly simple suggestion, like the above "I think there should be a 1,000g login reward". Do they disagree because they prefer the current rewards? Because 10,000g is not enough? Too much? Are they worried about the impact on the economy or that players will expect it all the time or what? All of those concerns could be valid, and they all have potential solutions, but without knowing which it is the person making the suggestion can't try to improve on it.

I suppose the argument could be made that it's an easy way to silence trolls - they get to push a button and feel they've done their bit to shut down the person they disagree with, but it's meaningless and virtually invisible and therefore harmless and easily ignored by everyone who is actually involved in the discussion. But even then I think it's better to encourage them to learn to articulate their thoughts if they want to join in a conversation.

Agree buttons can have a similar problem (and again are easily ignored and largely irrelevant) but at least there the simple interpretation is that they agree with absolutely everything the post says and would have said all the same things if they had written their own reply. If that's not accurate that's their problem.
    I agree with all you said except for your last paragraph ;) The agree button has the same defect as a disagree button: when it's used, it's *not* clear whether the person who used the button agrees with everything in your post.

I know it's not clear, but I don't think it's as much of a problem for everyone else in the discussion if an agree is misinterpreted as absolute agreement with everything in a post, because that's easier to incorporate into a discussion with no further info than complete disagreement with everything someone said.

It's only a problem for the person who intended to only agree with a specific part of it, and in that case they've got an incentive to reply to clarify their position.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
    Options
  • Grizzbeorn
    Grizzbeorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Bradyfjord wrote: »
    @Blinx I guess it's possible to abuse it somehow.

That's the reason why many forums no longer have that reaction option; because it gets abused.

PC/NA Warden Main
      Options
    • Lysette
      Lysette
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      IT would be anonymous, and that is not really a good idea - because it is an unspecific critic which does not just add nothing to the discussion, but makes it impossible to react to it in any way - ergo misses the purpose of this forum, namely to be constructive.
      Edited by Lysette on April 1, 2022 1:00PM
      Options
    • DMuehlhausen
      DMuehlhausen
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      Honestly there shouldn't even be agree. If there was a thumbs down people would do it just to troll people.
      Options
    • SpacemanSpiff1
      SpacemanSpiff1
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      disagreeing is toxic and abusive
      Options
    • peacenote
      peacenote
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      I have always thought that a lack of reactions to a post meant a combination of disagreement or disinterest. I think that's good enough.

Also with both an agree and disagree it might be easy to accidentally hit the wrong one. I would want it to be a different word like... "nah." :D
      My #1 wish for ESO Today: Decouple achievements from character progress and tracking.
      • Advocate for this HERE.
      • Want the history of this issue? It's HERE.
      Options
    • duagloth
      duagloth
      ✭✭✭✭
      disagreeing is toxic and abusive

Lol what?
      Options
    • xDeusEJRx
      xDeusEJRx
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Can't imagine that zos would be happy to see the dislike ratios on their posts, so I can't imagine that happening
      Solo PvP'er PS5 NA player

90% of my body is made of Magblade
      Options
    • OsUfi
      OsUfi
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      No. This isn't Reddit.
      Options
    • LalMirchi
      LalMirchi
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      I disagree with OP but no button is required or needed?
      Options
    • VaranisArano
      VaranisArano
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      One reason there's not a disagree button is because it encourages people to explain their reasoning why they disagree.

I know I learn a lot more from the people who take the time to explain why they disagree with me than I do from the flybys.

Somewhat apropos to the poll, I want to note two things:

1. An agree/disagree button has as much nuance as a Yes/No option on a poll. Since you couldn't give us a straight Yes/No, but instead had to qualify and explain what your options meant, I think that indicates something how about agree/disagree votes aren't really as clear as they seem at face value.

2. I could have just voted No, and you would have no clue why.

(Feel free to disagree! One of the joys of these discussions on the Forums is that we have to actually talk it out, rather than just downvoting each other in passing. :smile: )
      Options
    • Tenthirty2
      Tenthirty2
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      I don't see it adding any value to discussions.
      If someone disagrees with something I say it's always nice to see an explanation why they disagree.
      There's a chance for me to learn about someone else's differing viewpoint, maybe reassess my own.

Besides, Reddit already has downvoting which is (sposed to be) in the same spirit as disagreeing and it gets abused massively there.
      • "Some enjoy bringing grief to others. They remind M'aiq of mudcrabs - horrible creatures, with no redeeming qualities."
      • "When my time comes, I will smile. And that will be all." -Sir Nathain Galien
      • IGN: TenThirty2 (PC/PS: NA, PC/PS: EU)
      Options