The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Stam / mag abilities likely to see more use on mag / stam toons

Larcomar
Larcomar
✭✭✭✭✭
So "Player abilities that scale with your offensive stats, such as Weapon Damage and Max Stamina, will now dynamically scale with the highest of your offensive stats." There are some obvious general applications here - I'm hoping it means my mag toons can now use vigor effectively rather than be forced to use a resto staff - but I was trying to think through what changes I'd make to my various characters. Are there obvious abilities that esp stamina classes can now make effective use of? I'm guessing they'll benefit most from it, even given the constraints of mag regen. For eg I was wondering about stam sorcs now making effective use of mages wrath and possibly crystal frags - I think it's only 1/3 cost when it pops, so it might be sustainable. Maybe as well the class AOE spells? What have people been finding works - and doesn't.

chers

larc

• robpr
    robpr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In pvp, beside obvious Vigor

StamDK can use Embers, Coag and Shattering Rocks to heal
    Stamblade can use Impale to stab fleeing targets and Swallow Soul to damage and heal
    Magblade can use Surprise Attack
    Stamsorc can use frags on proc. And its magic damage, so it has chance to proc magickasteal status effect.
    Stamplar can use damage scaling on Living Dark, Aurora Javelin and Honor the Dead
    Stamcro can use healing ghost for its full heal power
    Stamden can use Lotus flowers with full heal power and Magicka Shalks for major breach again

In pve
    MagDk can use Venomous Claw
    Magblade can use stamina Grim Focus for longer duration
    Stamblade can use Twisting Path
    Magsorc can use Hurricane and Bound Armaments proc
    Stamsorc can use Frag proc
    Magcro can use Skeleton Archer
    Magden can use stamina shalks (if there is bad mag sustain)
    All mag chars can use DW Deadly Cloak and 2H Carve and Maelstrom Stampede
    All stam chars can maelstrom staff instead of maelstrom bow
  • Larcomar
    Larcomar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks - thats pretty darn comprehensive. And not too much of a redisgn thank god :)
  • Snamyap
    Snamyap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Twisting Path already scales to highest stat. Was changed a few months back, and been on my stamblade's bar ever since
  • Talonlord
    Talonlord
    On Crystal Fragments, do keep in mind that (unless I've missed something) it can still only proc off of magicka abilities, likely making it too unreliable for a stamsorc to run it. Probably more interesting for them is gaining access to Winged Twilight and Daedric Curse + morphs.

Beyond that, while I can't speak for pvp, in pve most skills where you might have felt like either mag or stam had some advantage over the other for being able to access it will now also be open to the other with these caveats because sustain is still a point:
    1. You don't want to run too many skills of the opposite resource since you wouldn't be able to sustain it.
    2. You don't want to run spammable or execute skills of the opposing resource since you'd want to cast these so many times in quick succession that you woulndn't be able to sustain it.

Some quick examples of valuable skills opened up for pve builds are magicka pets for stamsorc, Subterranean Assault for magden, and Blazing Spear for stamplar. As well as all the various weapon DoTs for anyone wishing to use a weapon associated with the opposite resource.
  • francesinhalover
    francesinhalover
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Larcomar wrote: »
    So "Player abilities that scale with your offensive stats, such as Weapon Damage and Max Stamina, will now dynamically scale with the highest of your offensive stats." There are some obvious general applications here - I'm hoping it means my mag toons can now use vigor effectively rather than be forced to use a resto staff - but I was trying to think through what changes I'd make to my various characters. Are there obvious abilities that esp stamina classes can now make effective use of? I'm guessing they'll benefit most from it, even given the constraints of mag regen. For eg I was wondering about stam sorcs now making effective use of mages wrath and possibly crystal frags - I think it's only 1/3 cost when it pops, so it might be sustainable. Maybe as well the class AOE spells? What have people been finding works - and doesn't.

chers

larc

Well not really a change since mags already use barbed/lightweight trap.
    But the ability will scale with mag now so yeah.
    Mags can also use two handed or bow for dots like endless hail with vma bow.

Deadly cloak if mags go dw/destro. Maybe rending slashes.

Fighters guild ultimate. Caltrops for aoe dmg.

Flying blade or fighters guild crosshair gap closing.

This update helps more stams than mags tbh. But thats obvious, game is called elder staffs online after all
    Edited by francesinhalover on March 14, 2022 2:43AM
    I am @fluffypallascat pc eu if someone wants to play together
    Shadow strike is the best cp passive ever!