The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Fishing skill line and more????

S0Z0H
S0Z0H
✭✭✭
I would love a fishing skill line and a rework and or expansion of the fishing activity.
For instance , expand on fishing species we can catch.
The ability to upgrade fishing rods, like grey , all the way up to gold. ( A mythic fishing rod maybe also? Lol)
Also, make fishing it's own full on mini game within the game. With on screen HUD for fishing , special fishing music and dramatic camera angles when you catch a fish.

Another idea is opening up the water ways for boating. This will allow for more fishing spots and perhaps the ability to have to CRAFT a fishing boat!

Basically, make fishing so fun and rewarding and satisfying that some players will start ESO just to be come fishers!

Ok also... Allow the rare occasion of catching special items, this can be valuable and also very funny. For instance , you can catch a rare jewelry box, or an old boot. All which could be sold to box merchants or on guild traders.

And also...the ability to earn a special rare and hard to achieve Fishers SKIN.

Much of the ideas above are inspired by my own real life fishing, and games like Zelda 64 and Black Desert Online.

Fishing deserves more love..it's just a fun thing in a game if it's done right. I'm just saying fishing could be enhanced to be so much more relaxing , and even exciting.

Thanks!
  • Roukoru
    Roukoru
    ✭✭
    TL;DR, in simple words: `implement _normal_ fishing sim`.
    p.s. ... which conjures visions of the Lineage2 fishing minigame... but it is way too complex and never will be implemented.
    置之死地而后生 (In the land of death -- fight!)
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the idea of making fishing more interesting because right now I find it very boring and therefore almost never do it (it wouldn't surprise me if there's been years when the only time I've done any fishing was for the New Life quest). Pushing 1 button and then waiting for permission to push it again isn't fun IMO, especially when you can't really chat or do anything else while waiting because you only have a few seconds to push the button again or the whole thing resets.

I suspect a lot of what you're suggesting is too complex for ZOS to consider. I'm sure they could do it, but it would be a lot of work for what would still be a relatively minor feature. They couldn't even promote it as an expansion feature like the card game (which already seems a bit lacklustre as the major new feature) because it's something we've already got, just a new version of it.

But I'd like them to at least add an actual mini game where you have to do something besides push F twice to catch the fish. I've not played Black Desert Online but I agree that various Zelda games are good examples, where you have to actually counter what the fish is doing to reel it in.

Or maybe something like Spiritfarer for a middle ground: in that game you still just use 1 button to fish but you hold it down to reel in and periodically have to let it go because the fish is fighting back too much, so you have to watch what's happening (indicated by the rod colour) and alternate reeling it in and letting it go to successfully catch a fish. It's not a big complex system but it still feels more like actually doing something than the ESO version.
    S0Z0H wrote: »
    Ok also... Allow the rare occasion of catching special items, this can be valuable and also very funny.

I don't normally comment on grammar because it usually doesn't matter, but in this case I think it's important. "It would be fun" means you would enjoy it. "It would be funny" means you'd laugh at it. In this case it could be taken as something undesirable but amusing - getting the useless 'joke' prize instead of the real one, which I don't think is what you meant.

But I think this already happens. There's some furnishings which can only be found by fishing (or bought from guild traders) and possibly some other non-fish items too.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    to me fishing is nothing more than looting a material node, except this one has an indeterminate painful waiting period then you have to hit the use button a 2nd time to actually get something out of it

if they make it into more of a minigame, they should do it like lockpicking so that with skill you can complete it faster instead of just waiting until you have to reel in

fishing is so utterly boring to me i usually just watch tv while doing it and use a fishing addon to make a ding to tell me when to reel in so i dont even have to look at the screen, although i would prefer just being able to hit the use button once to cast and then it just auto reels in once the fish needs to be caught

(ive asked around in game if an addon could be made to actually auto-reel in instead of just alerting you to reel in, but was told that this would be against TOS as "too much automation"...and yet we have stuff like the writ crafter addons that literally do all that work for you automatically with 1 button click when you visit the tables)

(edit: spelling)
    Edited by Necrotech_Master on March 1, 2022 10:35PM
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • Folkb
    Folkb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know howd I'd feel about that. My initial feeling is that I don't want to add more barriers to master angler than there already are.
  • UntilValhalla13
    UntilValhalla13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The few times that I fished for a lead or something, I wasn't even paying attention half of the time. I would just watch YouTube on my phone, and look up when my controller would vibrate to press X. That's a sign that something is horribly boring. Ocarina of Time had more to fishing than ESO does. XD
    Edited by UntilValhalla13 on March 1, 2022 11:23PM
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    emil-antonowsky-i-like-it.gif

I would prefer this so much more than drinking an Artaeum Fish Bowl and waiting. And waiting. Then add in that I can't mass-filet fish because I'm on PS4. So yes, all in on a fishing skill line, a mythic fishing pole, etc.
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    emil-antonowsky-i-like-it.gif

I would prefer this so much more than drinking an Artaeum Fish Bowl and waiting. And waiting. Then add in that I can't mass-filet fish because I'm on PS4. So yes, all in on a fishing skill line, a mythic fishing pole, etc.

No one can mass-filet fish. Not even on PC - because the addon doesn't do multiple fish at once: one fish at a time, but at least you don't have to click for every one. However, while you're filleting in game, you can't do anything else even in some other application on your machine....
  • peacenote
    peacenote
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    S0Z0H wrote: »
    Also, make fishing it's own full on mini game within the game. With on screen HUD for fishing , special fishing music and dramatic camera angles when you catch a fish.

I am ok with some of the ideas but... we've got enough mini games, honestly. Just yesterday I ran into trouble because I couldn't scry a new lead, because I had too many un-dug up leads, which I drag my feet on doing because I hate the digging part of Antiquities. I'm kinda done with the game within a game thing.

I would like to be able to fish in the waters of my homes to give me another reason to go there and enjoy what I've built. I don't know why, but whenever I'm fishing I always am wistfully thinking that I wish I was in my home. The few times I enjoy fishing are when I'm in a scenic area and it allows me to appreciate the game world in a peaceful way.

That said, I really never have time to fish much and it's unlikely that any enhancements will move it up on the priority list for me, so I guess as long as it isn't made a more integral part of other things such that I HAVE to fish more and it takes longer... ZOS should listen to the avid fisherfolk over me. ;)
    My #1 wish for ESO Today: Decouple achievements from character progress and tracking.
    • Advocate for this HERE.
    • Want the history of this issue? It's HERE.