The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

My GPU is going crazy after the update

Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus
✭✭✭✭✭
Uploaded today's update. Logging. I begin to hear a rather strange whistling sound. I don't understand where. I understand that this is not a cooler. The sound comes from the video card (gtx 1060). I turn off eso, the sound disappears. I run eso again. I start monitoring. Loading screen. GPU maximum MHz. I did not wait for the completion of the loading screen. Video cards are very expensive these days.
Edited by ZOS_Hadeostry on February 14, 2022 8:49PM
PC/EU
  • Darkstorne
    Darkstorne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Could be coil whine? Check your framerate, and make sure you switch on vsync from the settings menu. That can be a common issue in loading screens and menus, where your GPU is pumping out 1,000+fps :tongue:
  • Troodon80
    Troodon80
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Check your GPU settings and cap it at a reasonable FPS (60-300). Problem with ESO is that it has unlocked FPS during loading screens and character select. So your GPU is in overdrive during those times.

@Troodon80 PC | EU
    Guild: N&S
    Hand of Alkosh | Dawnbringer | Immortal Redeemer | Tick Tock Tormentor | Gryphon Heart
    Deep Dive into Dreadsail Reef Mechanics
  • Luke_Flamesword
    Luke_Flamesword
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You can also set maximum framerate in graphics card control panel adjusting value to your monitor refresh rate. There is no point to burden your card with more frames in any scenario and this is good safeguard against any broken software.
    PC | EU | DC |Stam Dk Breton
  • Parasaurolophus
    Parasaurolophus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Darkstorne, @Troodon80 this. Thx. Indeed, during the loading screen, my fps became very large. This is strange because I have vertical sync enabled in the game settings. I went to the nvidia panel. In the 3d settings, vsync was also enabled. It's good that there you can manually set the maximum frame rate. But before this was not the case, the coils did not whistle ... Did they change something in teso?
    PC/EU
  • YstradClud
    YstradClud
    ✭✭✭✭
    I tried logging in after the update but just got stuck in an never ending load screen so went to bed.
  • Troodon80
    Troodon80
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Parasaurolophus, it's not a recent thing that I know of. Maybe they've changed something under the hood. A couple different addon authors ( @code65536, Votan, etc. ) made addons some months or even years ago to cap FPS and display various other settings, but the best solution I have found is within the GPU's own control panel.

Edited by Troodon80 on February 14, 2022 11:15PM
    @Troodon80 PC | EU
    Hand of Alkosh | Dawnbringer | Immortal Redeemer | Tick Tock Tormentor | Gryphon Heart
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is one of the addons mentioned in this thread:
    https://www.esoui.com/downloads/info3173.html

pvw10774.png
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • Gundug
    Gundug
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a very real issue, and I had a video card fried by ESO before I finally realized what was going on. The thing sounded like a vacuum cleaner while I was playing.
  • Parasaurolophus
    Parasaurolophus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also, I remembered that the maximum fps value was not written in my .ini file. I wrote a value of 120 and... it didn't help. Went back to nvidia panel.
    PC/EU
  • DagenHawk
    DagenHawk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ESO requires a lot of memory and is hard on the GPU. Personally I make sure I never run my card (A Raedon VII with a Phantek GPU cooler) at Ultra anything...the world looks incredible, but in the long run it is more than a mortal GPU can stand.

My CPU is just a Threadripper 1950X (Not overclocked) AMD CPU's work in tandem with the GPU, but if it is something like this or the Intel Equivalent don't expect much help. Honestly I find the minimum settings with a couple High settings that are safe and tell myself I'm not playing for the graphics.

As Soon as I can find a 390 RTX and a AMD 59X at MSRP I'm upgrading, (I'm just a few miles from the Data center so I really don't worry about ping or lag) Hopefully then I can enjoy the game on ultra until then I will chug along in my equivalent of a 2010 Saturn.
  • Troodon80
    Troodon80
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also, I remembered that the maximum fps value was not written in my .ini file. I wrote a value of 120 and... it didn't help. Went back to nvidia panel.
    That's a mistake already. :smile:

If you enter the value of 120... 120 isn't the FPS you'll get. I don't know why ZOS did it like this or if it's just a Hero Engine thing, but the value should be 1 divided by the FPS you want. So 1 / 120 = 0.00833333. You can probably tell from this that typing 120 is several orders of magnitude higher than what you've intended, which is why it didn't fix it.

@Troodon80 PC | EU
  • Parasaurolophus
    Parasaurolophus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Troodon80 wrote: »
    That's a mistake already. :smile:

If you enter the value of 120... 120 isn't the FPS you'll get. I don't know why ZOS did it like this or if it's just a Hero Engine thing, but the value should be 1 divided by the FPS you want. So 1 / 120 = 0.00833333. You can probably tell from this that typing 120 is several orders of magnitude higher than what you've intended, which is why it didn't fix it.

No, I entered 0.00833333.
    PC/EU
  • Troodon80
    Troodon80
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Then I'm unsure where the issue is. What file did you edit?

It's still more reliable, in my opinion, to change the FPS within the GPU settings, but I'm curious about the issue.
    @Troodon80 PC | EU
  • Parasaurolophus
    Parasaurolophus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Troodon80 wrote: »
    Then I'm unsure where the issue is. What file did you edit?

It's still more reliable, in my opinion, to change the FPS within the GPU settings, but I'm curious about the issue.

I have edited the usersettings file. The value for the maximum fps I had was 0.0000000... This is the value for the unlimited fps. I didn't worry about it since I'm playing with vsync. But even changing this setting to 120 fps did not help. It helps only the settings in the nvidia panel.
    PC/EU
  • Troodon80
    Troodon80
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is the setting taking affect in-game during normal play? I'm wondering if it's just being ignored during loading screens?
    @Troodon80 PC | EU