The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Lightning staffs are they pointless now?

• CP5
    CP5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I wanted to wait until the patch notes went live, because after seeing the Storm Cursed set, I had my hopes up. If they duplicated the "deal shock damage to target and some nearby" and made it trigger "when applying concussed with a shock staff equip" it could actually make shock staves a good anti group option. Do that, standardize the destructive reach, so it offers a pure element spammable for all 3 staves, and shock staves could be in at least a somewhat better place.
  • Tannus15
    Tannus15
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    no, still bad
  • remosito
    remosito
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    would a monster/ mythic that concusses enemies damaged by a leap/teleport/.. be enough?

ShutYerTrap (selectively mute NPC dialogues (stuga, companions); displayleads (antiquity leads location); UndauntedPledgeQueuer (small daily undaunted dungeon queuer window)
  • Succuby
    Succuby
    ✭✭✭
    Now lightning staffs are officially R.I.P.

It is not rip for HA builds, because it is always will be possible to damage like this, but with no real reason in it.

With current changes LA gameplay is GOD like , all others ways of do damage get hardly nerfed.

They get better sets, more sustain and etc, whyle other sets and way to damage get nerfed.

For LA - fire staff is better and you do not have good alternate to it.

When i start play 5 years ago - game was good in build craft, it has different ways to play.
    Now it is for low brainers with only one big way - how you need to press the same 3 buttons for same 3 sets.

New hybridization ? Different play styles - what a joke.

Just always the same combination of same skills and sets.

Clone wars. Is it really teso not Star (Clone) Wars ? :)
    Edited by Succuby on February 1, 2022 7:54AM
  • Narvuntien
    Narvuntien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Can you link to what you are talking about I couldn't find it?

I kind of want to use Ice because I can't get a lightning staff to drop in any healer set.
  • Succuby
    Succuby
    ✭✭✭
    Narvuntien wrote: »
    Can you link to what you are talking about I couldn't find it?

I kind of want to use Ice because I can't get a lightning staff to drop in any healer set.

Lightning staff sets like Undaunted infiltrator, nobble dualist was not nerfed, it was destroyed.

It just shows disrespect to HA players and people who use Ligtning staffs itself.

Just look pts notes or topic with name about this sets ;)
  • K9002
    K9002
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This new Storm Cursed set should not be a set. The 5 piece bonus should be a lightning staff passive or a skill effect.
  • Iselin
    Iselin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Sorcs get extra damage out of lightning just like Wardens get some out of ice, so there is that.

I've been running a one bar, heavy attack lightning staff, pet sorc build for grinding CP similar to Alcast's and it works just fine soloing dungeons or doing anything else.

I've also always liked the channeled heavy with lightning. It feels smoother to me than the wind up / release heavies with the other two.
  • xStaticx
    xStaticx
    ✭✭✭
    Lightning staff used to be great back in the day before off-balance was given a 22 sec cooldown.

With the removal of the old CP Exploiter passive last year and now the HA set nerfs, it is pointless to run.

I think Sorc should at least get something added to help make lightning somewhat viable to run.

Just looking at the class benefits below ...

DragonKnight +5% Flame damage passive, +10% Flame damage (Engulfing Flames), +50% more Burning damage passive/Restore 1000 Magicka per Burning effect passive.

Warden +10% Frost damage passive, +200% increased chance to proc Chilled passive.

Sorc +5% Shock damage passive with nothing added for their respective status effect.

Maybe add something to Sorc to help with their status effect effectiveness?

• Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    K9002 wrote: »
    This new Storm Cursed set should not be a set. The 5 piece bonus should be a lightning staff passive or a skill effect.

It somewhat reminds me of the old Explosion passive for Sorcs. Or was it called Disintegration? Something like that.
    Dealt damage to low-health enemies when dealing shock damage. They replaced it with the incredibly blah Amplitude passive.

Now that stamsorcs are capable of dealing shock damage as well, I think this could be rolled back into a shock passive. Or at least buff Energized to 10% like Wardens get for frost damage.

While we're at it, why is Winter's Embrace so much better than Lightning Flood? More damage, lower cost, longer duration. Which Sorc even uses LF anymore? Even Orbs are better because the Synergy is better. Not to mention the other morph, Liquid Lightning, is a joke.
    Alandrol Sul: He's making another Numidium?!?
    Vivec: Worse, buddy. They're buying it.
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tannus15 wrote: »
    lightning staff is so bad that even sorcs with their shock damage passive don't use them.

it should be "viable" for other classes and "preferred" for mag sorc.

concussive and off balance are inherently support buffs since if one person applies them, everyone else becomes redundant and should be changed to dps buffs. that said, the reason lightning staffs are bad has less to do with the staff and more to do with the complete lack of buffs for shock damage.

Where is engulfing for shock? why does unstable wall of fire do more damage? they just added another set that increases fire damage by 5%.

Add 10% shock damage taken to lightning flood. it's currently the worst AOE dps in the game and only run for the unique synergy, less so now that alkosh is dead.
    Increase the concussive damage tick.
    Increase the damage of wall of lightning. it's meant to be the AOE staff yet wall of fire does more damage. logic please?
    change off balance to something that can benefit each individual using a lightning staff. increased spell damage vs that target or something.

if none of this happens, then at the very least the AOE % damage increase should carry over from the back bar for skills cast so it's viable to back bar a lightning staff.

the values should be balanced so that it's slightly ahead in a fight with lots of adds and slightly behind in a single target fight. sorc passive should make up that difference so it's even with a flame staff in single target.

with the lightning staff being the AOE staff, sorcs should be top tier for AOE with the shock passive, yet they are one of the worst AOE classes in the game. something got lost there when lightning flood got nerfed into the ground.

^^^^^