Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

I’ve just lost all my Chromium Platings

Bellstand
Bellstand
✭✭
Greetings everyone

As the title gives it away, all my Chromium Platings seem to be gone. Just yesterday I was trying to retrieve a single one from my Craft Bag which didn’t work for some reason. The first thing I thought was this was due to a full inventory which wasn’t the case. Trying to retrieve one once more didn’t work again so I called it a day and went on. It isn’t unlikely this was caused by lags or another server issue, so I wasn’t concerned about it.

Well, after checking my Craft Bag afterwards I was surprised by the fact that they weren’t in there anymore. You know, not even one. Over 100 Chromium Platings, just gone. I checked every inventory and bank space imaginable, even guild stores and banks, and they couldn’t be found. Obviously, I was confused as the only prompt I confirmed was the withdrawal from my Craft Bag. It isn’t even possible to delete items straight out of the Craft Bag.

I wrote a ticket to support and they said there aren’t any records of my Platings. There goes that, I guess. Still, I want to give it try here in the forums and perhaps a mod can look into this issue.

Thank you all very much for your time, I really appreciate it. Stay safe y’all.

EDIT: The ticket # is 220113-003595
Edited by Bellstand on January 15, 2022 12:06AM
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can you check on the pts to see if they are still there on your character? If so maybe you can present it as evidence to support.
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There was another thread a week or so back about something similar. Let me see if I can find it. And you might want to list your support ticket number just for reference.

Here's the thread:

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/593890/items-worth-26m-missing-eso-support-refused-to-clear-things-up

@ZOS_Kevin, can you help here?
    Edited by Sylvermynx on January 14, 2022 11:42PM
  • Bellstand
    Bellstand
    ✭✭
    Jaimeh wrote: »
    Can you check on the pts to see if they are still there on your character? If so maybe you can present it as evidence to support.

This is actually a good idea. So, I just checked the PTS and found them there. Well, the Grains at least since I only recently refined them. Took a screen shot just to make sure.
    Sylvermynx wrote: »
    There was another thread a week or so back about something similar. Let me see if I can find it. And you might want to list your support ticket number just for reference.

Here's the thread:

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/593890/items-worth-26m-missing-eso-support-refused-to-clear-things-up

Edited my post with the ticket. This really happens to be some kind of rare bug. Hopefully they find a way the resolve this.

Thank you @Jaimeh @Sylvermynx for your input!
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck to you getting it sorted out! Let us know how it goes. That's a lot of gold value to lose....
  • AlnilamE
    AlnilamE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Make sure you reply to the email regarding your ticket and add the screenshot from the PTS. Let them know you would like them to investigate further.

And best of luck!

The Moot Councillor
  • Fennwitty
    Fennwitty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Go ahead and change your password anyway just in case.
    PC NA
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fennwitty wrote: »

Good thought!
  • merpins
    merpins
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Right, definitely change your password. It's weird that they have no record of you having those in your inventory, despite it being there in your PTS inventory. It's unlikely that you got hacked, sounds more like a small data leak bug that's effecting a number of players which is why they're missing it. By small, I mean the amount of data being lost is small, but what's being lost is major. It's probably effecting a large number of players, but people don't realize it when they suddenly lose all their cheese or all their small game. If someone stole it from you, they'd have record of you having the items and who they went to, which is why it's unlikely it's that, but still change your password. Better safe than sorry.

No other recommendations, it seems like you're going through the correct steps to bring attention to this.
    Edited by merpins on January 15, 2022 5:45AM
  • Kusto
    Kusto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since this has happened to several people lately, it's best not to hoard anything. Sell all your stuff and divide the gold between your characters.
  • joerginger
    joerginger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kusto wrote: »
    Since this has happened to several people lately, it's best not to hoard anything. Sell all your stuff and divide the gold between your characters.

I don't think this is very good advice, especially in the case of Chromium platings.
  • mocap
    mocap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ESO use 2FA. No way you can login someone else's account even if know password.
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bellstand wrote: »
    Jaimeh wrote: »

This is actually a good idea. So, I just checked the PTS and found them there. Well, the Grains at least since I only recently refined them. Took a screen shot just to make sure.
    Sylvermynx wrote: »

Here's the thread:

Edited my post with the ticket. This really happens to be some kind of rare bug. Hopefully they find a way the resolve this.

Thank you @Jaimeh @Sylvermynx for your input!

I hope you can get this resolved soon!
  • Wolfkeks
    Wolfkeks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wish you the best of luck and I hope you can get back your Chromium Plantings.
    It's really weird to see this happen again and I hope ZOS finds out what is causing this.
    "Sheggorath, you are the Skooma Cat, for what is crazier than a cat on skooma?" - Fadomai
    EU PC 2000+ CP professional mudballer and pie thrower
    Former Emperor, Grand Overlord, vAA hm, vHelRa hm, vSO hm, vMoL hm, vHoF hm, vAS+2, vCR+3, vSS hm, vKA, vRG, Flawless Conquerer, Spirit Slayer
  • Arunei
    Arunei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    That would be a waste in the long run, most people who sit on a lot of stuff also use it, especially people like me with crafters. If we sold everything we have on the very slight chance we might get hit with a bug, that means we eventually have to buy everything back. It becomes a huge effort and headache, especially considering the most valuable materials you'd do this with to avoid losing them are super inflated.

Better advice is to every so often just take a few screenshots of your most valuable stuff, once every week or two, and shove them into a folder. That way if something happens you have proof that you had stuff that might have disappeared. Sure, it might also be a bit time-consuming depending on how much you have, but it's less of a hassle than selling everything and then trying to buy or farm it all back.
    Character List [RP and PvE]:
    Stands-Against-Death: Argonian Magplar Healer - Crafter
    Krisiel: Redguard Stamsorc DPS - Literally crazy Werewolf, no like legit insane. She nuts
    Kiju Veran: Khajiit Stamblade DPS - Ex-Fighters Guild Suthay who likes to punch things, nicknamed Tinykat
    Niralae Elsinal: Altmer Stamsorc DPS - Young Altmer with way too much Magicka
    Sarah Lacroix: Breton Magsorc DPS - Fledgling Vampire who drinks too much water
    Slondor: Nord Tankblade - TESified verson of Slenderman
    Marius Vastino: Imperial <insert role here> - Sarah's apathetic sire who likes to monologue
    Delthor Rellenar: Dunmer Magknight DPS - Sarah's ex who's a certified psychopath
    Lirawyn Calatare: Altmer Magplar Healer - Traveling performer and bard who's 101% vanilla bean
    Gondryn Beldeau: Breton Tankplar - Sarah's Mages Guild mentor and certified badass old person
    Gwendolyn Jenelle: Breton Magplar Healer - Friendly healer with a coffee addiction
    Soliril Larethian- Altmer Magblade DPS - Blind alchemist who uses animals to see and brews plagues in his spare time
    Tevril Rallenar: Dunmer Stamcro DPS - Delthor's "special" younger brother who raises small animals as friends
    Celeroth Calatare: Bosmer <insert role here> - Shapeshifting Bosmer with enough sass to fill Valenwood

PC - NA - EP - CP1000+
    Avid RPer. Hit me up in-game @Ras_Lei if you're interested in getting together for some arr-pee shenanigans!
  • Kessra
    Kessra
    ✭✭✭
    mocap wrote: »
    No way you can login someone else's account even if know password.

For roughly 99% of the playerbase this statement might be true, but someone with a bit more knowledge how computers and networks in particular work, i.e. how to spoof IP addresses, and eventually already present on your computer or at least in your network (either physically as family member or remotely through a root kit) it isn't actually that difficult to gain access to the desired information.
  • Umbro100
    Umbro100
    ✭✭✭

Well, if this is realy happening then that is just awful. Loosing that much money is very very bad and disappointing , but what worries me more - how can we be sure the rest of your stuff is secure ? That gold ring you farmed for ages but it is not meta now so you put it away for later... No one is checking to see if they have today all the stuff they had yesterday.Things like this should not happen. Never ever. If they do, something is very wrong with this game.
  • ArchangelIsraphel
    ArchangelIsraphel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Has character cold storage gone live yet? If so, I'm wondering if the data of a stored character includes the craft bag and is somehow overwriting recent data of a regularly used character. I could be totally wrong, it's just a theory.
    Legends never die
    They're written down in eternity
    But you'll never see the price it costs
    The scars collected all their lives
    When everything's lost, they pick up their hearts and avenge defeat
    Before it all starts, they suffer through harm just to touch a dream
    Oh, pick yourself up, 'cause
    Legends never die
  • mocap
    mocap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kessra wrote: »
    present on your computer or at least in your network (either physically as family member or remotely through a root kit) it isn't actually that difficult to gain access to the desired information.
    there are no pro hackers on this planet, who will hack ESO account just to erase chromium platings.
  • AlnilamE
    AlnilamE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has character cold storage gone live yet? If so, I'm wondering if the data of a stored character includes the craft bag and is somehow overwriting recent data of a regularly used character. I could be totally wrong, it's just a theory.

Cold storage applies to accounts. I don't know which servers are done yet, but that would not apply to an account that's playing regularly. You have to not log in for a period of time for your data to be transferred.
    The Moot Councillor
  • Kwoung
    Kwoung
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    present on your computer or at least in your network (either physically as family member or remotely through a root kit) it isn't actually that difficult to gain access to the desired information.
    there are no pro hackers on this planet, who will hack ESO account just to erase chromium platings.

There are however, a bunch of significant others in folks lives who may have issues with someone's gaming habits (or are just mad at them) and would delete or give away all your expensive stuff. Brothers, sisters, wives, husbands, parents, etc... Seen this happen to folks many times over the years, it usually being a ticked off sibling for missing stuff, and parents when all the persons characters disappear.
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What confuses me about this instance is that "Over 100 Chromium Platings" disappeared, yet they weren't on the PTS either although "the Grains [were] at least since I only recently refined them."

I'm not questioning whether that's true, I'm just curious as to why? That means there were over 1000 Chromium Grains on the PTS, but no Chromium Platings, right?

Whenever I craft, I refine anything that can be refined, as soon as I've got 10 or more of the unrefined materials.

Why does anyone else let the unrefined materials pile up to such huge numbers before refining them?

Is it related to doing writs on 18 characters per day using an addon?

Is it related to buying large quantities of unrefined materials from other players?

As I said, I'm just curious.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SeaGtGruff wrote: »
    What confuses me about this instance is that "Over 100 Chromium Platings" disappeared, yet they weren't on the PTS either although "the Grains [were] at least since I only recently refined them."

I'm not questioning whether that's true, I'm just curious as to why? That means there were over 1000 Chromium Grains on the PTS, but no Chromium Platings, right?

Whenever I craft, I refine anything that can be refined, as soon as I've got 10 or more of the unrefined materials.

Why does anyone else let the unrefined materials pile up to such huge numbers before refining them?

Is it related to buying large quantities of unrefined materials from other players?

Me personally I have ended up in that situation where I just kinda ignored refining because I didn't need it, or ignored surveys until they piled up way too much and then once I finished refined everything.
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

I never refine unless I need the refined material. Not sure why. Just seems like an unnecessary extra step, especially with craft bag making material storage a non-issue.
  • Kwoung
    Kwoung
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Can't speak for the OP, but I do the same with Jewelry crafting. I decon everything, I do writs, etc.. and for Cloth, Wood, Smithing I refine them. But for JC I generally put it off and only refine when I either have a large amount of them or actually need them. No idea why I do that really, maybe because the JC table in Vivec is on the other side of the bank, or maybe because it seems to be a bit more of a hassle than refining the other types of materials with the extra steps involved?
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I used to refine them all right away as well.

Now I only refine when I need them. I do this after talking to another player.

The developers may change the number of grains needed to make a plating sometime in the future. So keeping them as grains if they reduce it will allow me to get more platings in the future. If they change it to be the other way so it takes more (I don't foresee this), we'd know in advance on the PTS of a change like that, so I'd then refine them before that patch went live.
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    60,005 achievement points
  • etchedpixels
    etchedpixels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ESO use 2FA. No way you can login someone else's account even if know password.

If the victims machine has been compromised then it's trivial. The attacker just waits until they are playing. In the ESO PC case though it's probably even easier to wire up an addon to very rarely transfer stuff depending what the API forces to be confirmed.

You should use 2FA, it's a positive but it's sure not a magic bullet.

Sadly an ESO chromium plating sells on the gaming black market for several dollars. So 100 of them is worth it. In other games (notably Roblox is plagued by this as targets are mostly kids so easy victims) it's routine to ransack accounts for under $50 of stuff, and it's mostly automated.

I take no view on what actually happened or what is and isn't true in this case.

Too many toons not enough time
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kwoung wrote: »

Can't speak for the OP, but I do the same with Jewelry crafting. I decon everything, I do writs, etc.. and for Cloth, Wood, Smithing I refine them. But for JC I generally put it off and only refine when I either have a large amount of them or actually need them. No idea why I do that really, maybe because the JC table in Vivec is on the other side of the bank, or maybe because it seems to be a bit more of a hassle than refining the other types of materials with the extra steps involved?

Refining jewelry grains has a known output. Need 3 zircon platings? Refine 30 zircon grains. Other crafts are easier to acquire upgrade mats, because there is no middle step with grains, but more random. Need 4 elegant lining? That might take 40 raw material or 1000 raw material. Who the heck knows.

So I think you might refine legacy crafting materials just to stockpile them, because you have no output guarantees, and the only way to know how many elegant lining you have is to refine the raw mats and see what you get. But jewelry, why bother? There is really no difference between 30 zircon grains and 3 zircon platings.
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tmbrinks wrote: »

I used to refine them all right away as well.

Now I only refine when I need them. I do this after talking to another player.

The developers may change the number of grains needed to make a plating sometime in the future. So keeping them as grains if they reduce it will allow me to get more platings in the future. If they change it to be the other way so it takes more (I don't foresee this), we'd know in advance on the PTS of a change like that, so I'd then refine them before that patch went live.

I can't imagine that they would ever change the number of grains needed to refine into a plating. I know-- "Never say never." But it just strikes me as something that they would never do. I mean, has it ever happened before?
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • LurgidBean
    LurgidBean
    ✭✭✭✭

If crafting furniture, grains aren't used just full plates. It's easy to eat up blue and purple platings without realizing it on some pieces, particularly if you're crafting a lot or doing a big project. Keeping them as grains prevents some late-night housing accidents.
    Edited by LurgidBean on January 15, 2022 9:11PM
    Xbox NA/EU
    "Once I misplaced an entire roast chicken, so this doesn't surprise me."
  • Arunei
    Arunei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Why not let unrefined mats gather? People may not feel like stopping by the crafting stations any given day, or they might have a bunch of surveys they're picking away at and want to refine everything at once instead of running to a station to refine between every survey. Maybe they hang on to raw mats to sell in batches of certain amounts, because not everyone who farms mats is a crafter. Maybe they're like me and just like having a big number of mats to refine for no reason other than big numbers make our brains happy.

Besides, as someone else already mentioned, in terms of upgrade Grains there's no difference between 1k Grains and 100 Platings.
    Character List [RP and PvE]:
    Stands-Against-Death: Argonian Magplar Healer - Crafter
    Krisiel: Redguard Stamsorc DPS - Literally crazy Werewolf, no like legit insane. She nuts
    Kiju Veran: Khajiit Stamblade DPS - Ex-Fighters Guild Suthay who likes to punch things, nicknamed Tinykat
    Niralae Elsinal: Altmer Stamsorc DPS - Young Altmer with way too much Magicka
    Sarah Lacroix: Breton Magsorc DPS - Fledgling Vampire who drinks too much water
    Slondor: Nord Tankblade - TESified verson of Slenderman
    Marius Vastino: Imperial <insert role here> - Sarah's apathetic sire who likes to monologue
    Delthor Rellenar: Dunmer Magknight DPS - Sarah's ex who's a certified psychopath
    Lirawyn Calatare: Altmer Magplar Healer - Traveling performer and bard who's 101% vanilla bean
    Gondryn Beldeau: Breton Tankplar - Sarah's Mages Guild mentor and certified badass old person
    Gwendolyn Jenelle: Breton Magplar Healer - Friendly healer with a coffee addiction
    Soliril Larethian- Altmer Magblade DPS - Blind alchemist who uses animals to see and brews plagues in his spare time
    Tevril Rallenar: Dunmer Stamcro DPS - Delthor's "special" younger brother who raises small animals as friends
    Celeroth Calatare: Bosmer <insert role here> - Shapeshifting Bosmer with enough sass to fill Valenwood

PC - NA - EP - CP1000+
    Avid RPer. Hit me up in-game @Ras_Lei if you're interested in getting together for some arr-pee shenanigans!