Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

ZOS PLEASE TELL US WHAT IS GOING ON WITH PERFORMANCE

• EmperorIl
    EmperorIl
    ✭✭✭✭
    i'm in a game right now

What game is that? Platform?

GW2 WVW PC

I heard they are redesigning it....I might have to check it out. ZOS better hope it isn't great or they can kiss a decent chunk of their playerbase goodbye. Before anyone wants to say they don't make anything off of us I have spent over $2k in crowns since release. If they want to lose that potential ....buh-bye then.
  • red_emu
    red_emu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I wonder if people would buy the game again if ZOS decided to make a complete copy paste of all the content but on a brand new engine? ESO 2 anyone? 👌
    PC - EU:
    Falathren Noctis - AD MagNecro
    Falathren - AD StamSorc
    Falathren Eryndaer - AD StamDen
    Falathren Irimion - AD MagPlar
    Talagan Falathren - AD StamDK
    Falathren Infernis - AD MagDK
    Your-Ex - AD MagBlade
  • angelofdeath333
    angelofdeath333
    ✭✭✭
    They could add a performance scroll to the Store? 500 crowns, maybe? "Reduce all lag by 100% for an hr". Jokes aside, its trash right now and i think they meant "2021: year of performance" in the opposite way...
  • biminirwb17_ESO
    biminirwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think people forget the 1 frame per second fights with only light attacks working. The crashes porting to a fight at a resource, the rubber banding and lag ALL existed from the start even before the deer were removed and before you could no longer charge rez stones on target dummies at the siege range.

The 92 DC at Fare the other day had no issues with lag and the 30 defenders battled valiantly with just the normal amount of lag.

The game has always had its issues, but Cyrodiil has become boring, unkillable groups of tanks, Dks running around resource towers until people get bored and leave, rock hoppers who cant afford siege, pvdoor and resource groups just here to get stones to upgrade gear, fugitives from BGs who think everything is a death match, this is why the population has dropped, not lag, in my view.
  • Idinuse
    Idinuse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of the big problems is that they moved the majority of the calculations from the client to the servers. I know it is due to the cheaters, but did it really make that big a difference? People still can fly and equip Dungeon Boss Skills and shoot at people, for starters. All the downsides and no particular benefit.

As a comparison in 2014-2016/17 the game performed, well as expected in most areas, at least far better than now in regards to lag. That was with a 32-bit game on a 32-bit operating system using max 4GB of (slow) memory with a PCI 1 DX9 GPU and a 2 core AMD CPU.

Today we have threadripping multi core CPUs, monster PCI 3-4 DX12+ GPUs on 64-bit code using 8-32+GB of super fast ram and lighting fast PCI 3-4 NvME and SSD drives. But the game performs abysmal for many and in many cases, of course not for all and of course not in all aspects. In fact on many levels the graphic details, much "single" play feel (well you know what I mean) is performing better, and you can tell they have worked hard. Still the lag performance is worse than in the 32-bit days.

Imagine if our clients could utilize all that CPU power instead of burdening the mega servers? Add to that an UDP update with no ACK or wait for packets to arrive in order...

There has to be some great anti-cheat system that could be used by ESO and the calculations restored to the clients. I mean, many games do with fairly good success.

As RinaldoGandolphi suggested in this thread:
    https://www.battleye.com/

https://www.easy.ac/en-us/

https://go.kaspersky.com/anticheat.html
    Sed ut perspiciatis unde omnis iste natus error sit voluptatem accusantium dolorem que laudantium, totam rem aperiam, eaque ipsa quae ab illo inventore veritatis et quasi architecto beatae vitae dicta sunt explicabo. Nemo enim ipsam voluptatem quia voluptas sit aspernatur aut odit aut fugit, sed quia consequuntur magni dolores eos qui ratione voluptatem sequi nesciunt. Neque porro quisquam est, qui dolorem ipsum quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non numquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem. Ut enim ad minima veniam, quis nostrum exercitationem ullam corporis suscipit laboriosam, nisi ut aliquid ex ea commodi consequatur? Quis autem vel eum iure reprehenderit qui in ea voluptate velit esse quam nihil molestiae consequatur, vel illum qui dolorem eum fugiat quo voluptas nulla pariatur?
  • _adhyffbjjjf12
    _adhyffbjjjf12
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Idinuse wrote: »
    One of the big problems is that they moved the majority of the calculations from the client to the servers. I know it is due to the cheaters, but did it really make that big a difference? People still can fly and equip Dungeon Boss Skills and shoot at people, for starters. All the downsides and no particular benefit.

As a comparison in 2014-2016/17 the game performed, well as expected in most areas, at least far better than now in regards to lag. That was with a 32-bit game on a 32-bit operating system using max 4GB of (slow) memory with a PCI 1 DX9 GPU and a 2 core AMD CPU.

Today we have threadripping multi core CPUs, monster PCI 3-4 DX12+ GPUs on 64-bit code using 8-32+GB of super fast ram and lighting fast PCI 3-4 NvME and SSD drives. But the game performs abysmal for many and in many cases, of course not for all and of course not in all aspects. In fact on many levels the graphic details, much "single" play feel (well you know what I mean) is performing better, and you can tell they have worked hard. Still the lag performance is worse than in the 32-bit days.

Imagine if our clients could utilize all that CPU power instead of burdening the mega servers? Add to that an UDP update with no ACK or wait for packets to arrive in order...

There has to be some great anti-cheat system that could be used by ESO and the calculations restored to the clients. I mean, many games do with fairly good success.

You need it, otherwise cheating can literally destroy gameplay and economies. This is why every other mmorpg is designed from the start to not trust clients, and why ZOS had to scramble when they started to see what happens when you don't implement properly. Put it this way, the more client code, the more server code you need to validate the client responses. Its a false economy to do otherwise. The problem is not server side code, many many games do this successfully with far higher populations. Fix the root cause is always the answer.
    Edited by _adhyffbjjjf12 on January 4, 2022 6:53PM
  • NotTaylorSwift
    NotTaylorSwift
    ✭✭✭✭

cheating can literally destroy gameplay and economies

I'd rather see a handful of cheaters in cyro and actually be able to play the game tho :) They would be banned at some point, idc if it takes longer xD but rn cyro is absolutely unplayable. It is just SO bad. Nothing to describe it. I would take real cheaters/hackers over this game performance every day of the week.
    Edited by NotTaylorSwift on January 4, 2022 8:40PM
  • Kwoung
    Kwoung
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

cheating can literally destroy gameplay and economies

I'd rather see a handful of cheaters in cyro and actually be able to play the game tho :) They would be banned at some point, idc if it takes longer xD but rn cyro is absolutely unplayable. It is just SO bad. Nothing to describe it. I would take real cheaters/hackers over this game performance every day of the week.

At this point, I agree. Running into the occasional cheater and getting killed by them before they get banned, is a small thing compared to the complete lagfest I have to put up with in Cyrodiil in most of the time. If ZOS actually had GM's that came in game, cheaters could be taken care of and perma-banned near instantly as well, which would pretty much solve the problem. Whatever happened to the old ways when someone got reported a GM would follow them around invisible for a few to check it out, then make an informed decision based on what they saw, versus having to have 100 players report someone before anything <nothing in many cases> gets done?
  • Macwynne67
    Macwynne67
    Soul Shriven
    It was so laggy last night it was hard to play in Cyrodil. How come old school games like daoc has hardly no lag in pvp but ESO pvp is a lock down fest ?
  • Kwoung
    Kwoung
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Macwynne67 wrote: »
    It was so laggy last night it was hard to play in Cyrodil. How come old school games like daoc has hardly no lag in pvp but ESO pvp is a lock down fest ?

Maybe ZOS should hire the DAOC devs (again) to fix it here?
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kwoung wrote: »
    Macwynne67 wrote: »

Maybe ZOS should hire the DAOC devs (again) to fix it here?

Lol, I see what you did there. :D

(Matt Firor is the head developer for both games, for those who don't know.)
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • WaywardArgonian
    WaywardArgonian
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's been bad for a while but recently I've frequently been in a position where I couldn't get any skill to fire. Not with delay, not by mashing the button 10 times, nothing. Sometimes I will still see the animation play but it just does nothing. Crashing is also more frequent whereas previously it rarely happened to me.
    PC/EU altaholic | DC Gray Host graveyard shift | Former Empanada of Ravenwatch | @ degonyte in-game | Nibani Ilath-Pal (AD Nightblade) - AvA rank 50 | Jehanne Teymour (AD Sorcerer) - AvA rank 50 | Niria Ilath-Pal (AD Templar) - AvA rank 50
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm just going to ask OP if they have ever heard of "SNAFU"?
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • DrSlaughtr
    DrSlaughtr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BR isn't always the answer

XB NA BR is garbage right now because one faction, just one, is pop locked. The other two are usually 2 bars and never pop locked. The moment the one faction locks the entire server goes down the drain.

Meanwhile GH is even worse than normal. It seems this particular patch has been exceptionally bad for performance. Even in BR, trying to fire any skill is delayed at best or never fires at all. Seige takes forever to fire. Guards desyncing people with their dumb, old animations and attacks that don't even match those from the players.

It's laughably bad.
    I drink and I stream things.
    Twitch: DrSlaughtr
    YouTube: DrSlaughtr
    Facebook: DrSlaughtr
    Twitter: DrSlaughtr
    TikTok: DrSlaughtr
  • McTaterskins
    McTaterskins
    ✭✭✭✭
    BR isn't always the answer

XB NA BR is garbage right now because one faction, just one, is pop locked. The other two are usually 2 bars and never pop locked. The moment the one faction locks the entire server goes down the drain.

Meanwhile GH is even worse than normal. It seems this particular patch has been exceptionally bad for performance. Even in BR, trying to fire any skill is delayed at best or never fires at all. Seige takes forever to fire. Guards desyncing people with their dumb, old animations and attacks that don't even match those from the players.

It's laughably bad.

It's been progressively more terrible by the day since last week's maintenance. We can always tell when it's gonna be a bad week by loading into the Rimmen bank. If the guard that leans on the wall is a couple meters from the wall but still leaning, it means it is going to be a long week/weekend.
  • Yasha
    Yasha
    ✭✭✭✭
    Vizirith wrote: »

Wow, I haven't seen the game run that smoothly in years. Are you right next to teh servers or something?
  • spacefracking
    spacefracking
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ball groups is fine if the game is coded properly, i'm in a game right now with easily 200 in a 3 way running battle, AOE EVERYWHERE, at 60fps solid with everything maxed out. That's with number of enemy players shown at minimum and its an absolute riot, no rubber banding, no lag, straight fighting. Zos has no excuse in this day and age.

51766206211_3a166acb3c_h.jpg

I love that golden hour when pop is high but the ball groups aren't on yet, so big fights can be had. It's wonderful :')
  • _adhyffbjjjf12
    _adhyffbjjjf12
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ball groups is fine if the game is coded properly, i'm in a game right now with easily 200 in a 3 way running battle, AOE EVERYWHERE, at 60fps solid with everything maxed out. That's with number of enemy players shown at minimum and its an absolute riot, no rubber banding, no lag, straight fighting. Zos has no excuse in this day and age.

51766206211_3a166acb3c_h.jpg

I love that golden hour when pop is high but the ball groups aren't on yet, so big fights can be had. It's wonderful :')

there was actually 3 blobs in that fight above, the group running into screen with myself in green was getting chased by a big f off blob :) The above game has far far more AOE and blobs, but the difference is the server code can cope. At least ZOS have now acknowledged the server code needs restructuring, that's a glimmer of hope things will change in a year or so in ESO.