Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Idea: add a "prevent harming animals" option in settings

Peaches0w0
Peaches0w0
✭✭✭
Note: this obviously wouldn't include hostile animals like bears, wolves, etc

I just hate accidentally killing mice and foxes while in combat ;-;
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Second this. It’s irritating to try and take on a boss or even just random mobs only to have my attack veer off and murder a spider or rat.
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works
  • Zama666
    Zama666
    ✭✭✭✭
    Love using an Ultimate on a rat! Just love it!
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We also need a button for "Prevent Touching Torchbugs" to make Mirri happy.
  • SpiritKitten
    SpiritKitten
    ✭✭✭✭

on PC the addon NoInteract does this
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

on PC the addon NoInteract does this

Thanks, but...Consoles.
  • Rudrani
    Rudrani
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Peaches0w0 wrote: »

agree a billion times.

those poor deer in scalecaller have enough problems as it is without "heroes" running through and blowing them up.

• Peaches0w0
    Peaches0w0
    ✭✭✭
    Rudrani wrote: »

agree a billion times.

those poor deer in scalecaller have enough problems as it is without "heroes" running through and blowing them up.

Bamby had it commin ._.
  • Fennwitty
    Fennwitty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Rudrani wrote: »

agree a billion times.

Bamby had it commin ._.

They're co-conspirators with the dragon cultists!
    PC NA
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zama666 wrote: »
    Love using an Ultimate on a rat! Just love it!

i find this hilarious

like when i use stampede and charge past the enemy i was trying to target and hit a rat or small insect lol
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • SkaraMinoc
    SkaraMinoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    They have "Disable attacking innocents" and they really need "Disable attacking critters".

I would use both.
    PC NA
  • ck37090
    ck37090
    ✭✭✭✭

Just out of curiosity... Why? Turning off killing innocents makes sense because it causes a bounty... What is the reason you don't want to kill rabbits and such? I mean realistically you can't genuinely feel bad for killing a digital bunny and if it's for some sort of role playing reason, wouldn't it be more realistic to have to take greater care in not killing them while fighting? Honestly, I doubt anyone would object if it was an option, I was just more curious on the mindset
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ck37090 wrote: »

Just out of curiosity... Why? Turning off killing innocents makes sense because it causes a bounty... What is the reason you don't want to kill rabbits and such? I mean realistically you can't genuinely feel bad for killing a digital bunny and if it's for some sort of role playing reason, wouldn't it be more realistic to have to take greater care in not killing them while fighting? Honestly, I doubt anyone would object if it was an option, I was just more curious on the mindset

I would use a "Don't kill critters" option.

There can be a massive giant taking up most of my screen. But if my reticle slips over a tiny centipede between his legs the moment I use Dawnbreaker, I'm getting flash-fried bug parts and I've wasted my ultimate.

Before you go, "Well, be more careful," I'd like to remind you that ZOS has changed targeting priority in the past to make those incidents less common, and then changed it back in other updates for reasons I don't recall hearing about. So targeting priority is not set in stone.

That's not about roleplay. It's about good gameplay where I'd like my combat abilities to prioritize the enemy instead of a critter.

Examples of similar complaints:

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/414183/critters-are-priority-target-once-again

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/497190/force-pulse-only-targeting-critters
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They have a problem with targetting in this game, on many levels, and I think that needs to be addressed before we get into "prevent attacking critters" settings.

I fear that this setting would end up with us locked up doing nothing while the message "Cannot attack critters" scrolls in the corner. It would not be the "attack something other than critters" setting. :smile:
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • ck37090
    ck37090
    ✭✭✭✭
    I can get the arguments about targeting but it didn't sound like that was the consideration by the op and some of the follow ups.
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I can get the arguments about targeting but it didn't sound like that was the consideration by the op and some of the follow ups.

Just because one is valid doesn’t mean the other isn’t; people play for different reasons.

I will also add to the list that Bastian throws a fit when I accidentally murder a spider, which aside from feeling like the game is yelling at me for its own bad targeting, also makes it take that much longer to max out his disposition. Minor? Sure. Annoying enough to want it fixed? Absolutely.
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works
  • ck37090
    ck37090
    ✭✭✭✭

Just because one is valid doesn’t mean the other isn’t; people play for different reasons.

I will also add to the list that Bastian throws a fit when I accidentally murder a spider, which aside from feeling like the game is yelling at me for its own bad targeting, also makes it take that much longer to max out his disposition. Minor? Sure. Annoying enough to want it fixed? Absolutely.

Easy there champ, I wasn't saying anyone's opinion was not valid, I was just curious what the thought process was
  • Castagere
    Castagere
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with this too. Killing non-hostile mobs by accident always bothers me.
  • DJ_Virtual
    DJ_Virtual
    ✭✭✭
    It's just a game. You're not actually hurting animals. People are always trying to add safety bumpers to stuff.
  • Peaches0w0
    Peaches0w0
    ✭✭✭
    DJ_Virtual wrote: »
    It's just a game. You're not actually hurting animals. People are always trying to add safety bumpers to stuff.

Plenty of people have listed practical reasons as well. ie wasting skills like ultimate on the random spider right next to the targeted mob.

I don't really see any reason not to add the feature. you could always leave it disabled and let others play as they like
  • wheresbes
    wheresbes
    ✭✭✭✭

I'd include those as well, I mean what's the point in killing wolves, etc.?

Imagine strolling around in peace with the environment.

I want these:
    https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Knights_of_the_Nine_Items#Boots_of_the_Crusader

• Peaches0w0
    Peaches0w0
    ✭✭✭
    wheresbes wrote: »

I'd include those as well, I mean what's the point in killing wolves, etc.?

Eh. From a mechanical stand point there's gonna be obsticals and defending yourself against hostile wild life does make sense. While an ability to enjoy areas without animals attacking would be nice I don't think it'd fit with the gameplay design in mind.
  • Fennwitty
    Fennwitty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I will also add to the list that Bastian throws a fit when I accidentally murder a spider, which aside from feeling like the game is yelling at me for its own bad targeting, also makes it take that much longer to max out his disposition. ...

On this specific issue, you do not actually lose any rapport from Bastian when killing a critter.

He will vocally complain, but it does not impact rapport.

Possibly the devs considered it for lowering rapport in an earlier version just like snakes give Mirri positive rapport -- but in the current implementation, there is no rapport impact for killing random critters around Bastian.
    PC NA