The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

PSA: Solo Random Queue

propertyOfUndefined
propertyOfUndefined
✭✭✭✭✭
This option is available with today's patch. The dropdown is defaulted to "Solo Deathmatch Only", so just want to make sure you're all aware of this :)
  • bathynomusESO
    bathynomusESO
    ✭✭✭
    This option is available with today's patch. The dropdown is defaulted to "Solo Deathmatch Only", so just want to make sure you're all aware of this :)

I select solo random and am still getting all Deathmatch. 5 games in a row.
  • RedTalon
    RedTalon
    ✭✭✭✭✭

10+ here and counting
  • propertyOfUndefined
    propertyOfUndefined
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Same. Over 10 matches and all DM. I created a post about it in the Bugs section.
  • RedTalon
    RedTalon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah after 30 randoms have only gotten dms only and even had a few matches where whole team quits and are only left with thhree players lucking around or just one before more show up then quit.

Think people where expecting more selections, sorry for typos and errors
    Edited by RedTalon on November 2, 2021 1:37PM
  • Giraffon
    Giraffon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They should not have had anything set as the default. It's jacking the whole system. Not enough players are changing the setting to random so they are getting drug into the DMs.

The Default setting should have been "Choose Match Type" or something like that.

Even better, an option that excludes DMs.
    Giraffon - Beta Lizard - For the Pact!
  • Ulfhethinn
    Ulfhethinn
    ✭✭✭
    Giraffon wrote: »
    They should not have had anything set as the default. It's jacking the whole system. Not enough players are changing the setting to random so they are getting drug into the DMs.

The Default setting should have been "Choose Match Type" or something like that.

All of this. The "Random" queues need to be "Random Objective" and exclude DM.

Every time I get DM in the Random queues, I'm going to ditch, take the time penalty and either switch characters or do some other task like inventory management or similar.
  • FeedbackOnly
    FeedbackOnly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Metoo why didn't they just completely separate the two groups?
  • FeedbackOnly
    FeedbackOnly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ulfhethinn wrote: »

All of this. The "Random" queues need to be "Random Objective" and exclude DM.

Every time I get DM in the Random queues, I'm going to ditch, take the time penalty and either switch characters or do some other task like inventory management or similar.

It's what death match people did to us not playing modes right. They go rewarded with their own queue.

This is justice
  • mmtaniac
    mmtaniac
    ✭✭✭✭
    I like objective modes but learning how to fight in deathmatch is basic everyone should know how to survive ,fight is different thing but atleast survive.
  • ealdwin
    ealdwin
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Or they could just make Solo Random the default.

Each of the other three queues are for those who know what they want, and have a specific want: DM, Group, or both. Solo Random on the other hand is for those who either don't know what they want or don't care. Make the general one the default and the specific ones opt-ins, and there may be an improvement.
  • FeedbackOnly
    FeedbackOnly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Anyone seen a non deathmatch match yet?
  • propertyOfUndefined
    propertyOfUndefined
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope. And I haven’t stopped trying since patch release.
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Just like dungeons, if you queue for a random and someone has queued for a specific one then you will get what they chose. The same system handles both PvE and PvP.
  • propertyOfUndefined
    propertyOfUndefined
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not saying that isn’t true, but the fact that I haven’t gotten a single non-dm match in more than 30 attempts certainly means it isn’t functioning as intended considering the circumstances that led to this.
    Edited by propertyOfUndefined on November 5, 2021 12:35AM
  • SkaraMinoc
    SkaraMinoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Evidence suggests the queues are bugged at the moment.

SxdvNYN.png

Sdkqm3b.png

1RcE5ek.png

At Day 4, the top scores are 4210 for Land Grab and 2841 for Flag Games. I've seen many players ask in BG why the Random queue is only Deathmatch and there are multiple threads across the forums about this.

This doesn't mean there's actually a bug. The majority of players might queue for the default battleground, Solo Deathmatch.

qbLjLlK.png

Let's see if ZOS provides insight over the next few weeks. @ZOS_Kevin for visibility

Edited by SkaraMinoc on November 5, 2021 1:47AM
    PC NA
  • RedTalon
    RedTalon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    10 randoms or so.....all deathmatches again. Once more had three where it was already over more or less, easy ap but not a good sign, and one were I quit and reque later and ended up in the same match -sighs-
  • MurderMostFoul
    MurderMostFoul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SkaraMinoc wrote: »
    Evidence suggests the queues are bugged at the moment.

SxdvNYN.png

Sdkqm3b.png

1RcE5ek.png

At Day 4, the top scores are 4210 for Land Grab and 2841 for Flag Games. I've seen many players ask in BG why the Random queue is only Deathmatch and there are multiple threads across the forums about this.

This doesn't mean there's actually a bug. The majority of players might queue for the default battleground, Solo Deathmatch.

qbLjLlK.png

Let's see if ZOS provides insight over the next few weeks. @ZOS_Kevin for visibility

Not a bug like you said, just a system that is extremely susceptible to creating death match games based upon the mixing of random queue and death match queue. I haven't played with this new system yet since I'm on console. Is there a daily bonus still?

If not, placing the daily bonus on the random mode queue would likely alleviate some of the overly frequent death match games coming out of the random queue.

EDIT: oh, I just looked more closely at your last picture. Daily bonus being attached to death match queue is going to definitely tilt it even further into creating deathmatch games the vast majority of the time. Switching the daily bonus to random queues only, like it was before, would certainly help. @ZOS_GinaBruno
    Edited by MurderMostFoul on November 5, 2021 2:04PM
    “There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.”
  • propertyOfUndefined
    propertyOfUndefined
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’ve given up trying at this point. Death matches were fine for the first week or two, but it’s honestly starting to feel like overstaying in the vegas strip. Everything starts to look the same, and there’s no variety at all. I long for a relic match… a chaos ball… heck, even a crazy king…

Guess I’ll put pvp on hold until they address this. :(
    Edited by propertyOfUndefined on November 6, 2021 2:02AM
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The problem that ZOS faces with a nearly-always-DM queue is the same one that they faced last update with the DM-only queues

Gina described it as follows, emphasis mine:
    First, it’s valuable to note the general feedback on this test was quite polarizing. While there were certainly a lot of players that liked only having Deathmatch available, there were just as many that didn’t enjoy it. A frequent complaint we saw, though, was the disappointment that we removed something that is ultimately at the core of our game: the freedom of choice. And in the case of this test, the data appeared to back that up as well. Although we initially saw a very slight bump in participation, it quickly declined and has left Battleground populations in a fairly unhealthy state.

Players didn't stick around for DM-only queues.

Will they stick around for nearly-always-DM queues? I can't imagine that there's going to be much difference in the results: a slight bump in participation and then a decline.
  • thesarahandcompany
    thesarahandcompany
    ✭✭✭✭
    The problem that ZOS faces with a nearly-always-DM queue is the same one that they faced last update with the DM-only queues

First, it’s valuable to note the general feedback on this test was quite polarizing. While there were certainly a lot of players that liked only having Deathmatch available, there were just as many that didn’t enjoy it. A frequent complaint we saw, though, was the disappointment that we removed something that is ultimately at the core of our game: the freedom of choice. And in the case of this test, the data appeared to back that up as well. Although we initially saw a very slight bump in participation, it quickly declined and has left Battleground populations in a fairly unhealthy state.

Will they stick around for nearly-always-DM queues? I can't imagine that there's going to be much difference in the results: a slight bump in participation and then a decline.

A lot of players are returning or considering returning. We have a community BG hub discord server where 100s of deathmatch players mingle and discuss ESO PVP. Don't underestimate the connection of the community and how well a few of us on forums have our finger on the pulse of the community.

We really need to move on from 'queues' in my opinion, and work on incentivizing and bringing deathmatch players to queue objective mode by making them more engaging. That's one of the reasonable solutions in my opinion.
    Sarahandcompany
    She/Her/Hers
  • Taggund
    Taggund
    ✭✭✭✭

I tried it for 2 nights, and then no more. I did not mind deathmatch when part of the rotation, however, I do not want only deathmatch. It would be nice to see a response from ZOS on the current situation.
  • Aldoss
    Aldoss
    ✭✭✭✭✭

My wife and I stopped playing the DM-only test once DC hit critical mass and wasn't hotfixed like Hrothgar's was. We loved the DM only format, but the DC meta will go down in history as the single worst meta we've ever had to endure. We weren't the only ones with these same feelings.

So far, this patch is going extremely well. It's nice to enjoy PvP again.
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

A lot of players are returning or considering returning. We have a community BG hub discord server where 100s of deathmatch players mingle and discuss ESO PVP. Don't underestimate the connection of the community and how well a few of us on forums have our finger on the pulse of the community.

We really need to move on from 'queues' in my opinion, and work on incentivizing and bringing deathmatch players to queue objective mode by making them more engaging. That's one of the reasonable solutions in my opinion.

Zenimax did their test. They have real data from that test and Gina commented on the results. Since those former players are so well connected but did not come back for the 100% DM BGs then they do not seem very interested at all.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm curious as to whethe
    Aldoss wrote: »

My wife and I stopped playing the DM-only test once DC hit critical mass and wasn't hotfixed like Hrothgar's was. We loved the DM only format, but the DC meta will go down in history as the single worst meta we've ever had to endure. We weren't the only ones with these same feelings.

So far, this patch is going extremely well. It's nice to enjoy PvP again.

Dark Convergence is bad, but I'm hesitant to blame it specifically for all of the DM-only problems last update. We've had other really bad BG metas before, like Viper, Sloads, or the brief foray into CP BGs.

I think DC is illustrative of a basic problem with DM-only queues: you'll be facing the same DM meta sets for three months until the next update with no other options. For players who don't like the meta, it gets boring real quick. Worse, whenever we get the next "bad" set like Dark Convergence, we'll be back in the same boat of players jumping ship to avoid that new set.
  • Magio_
    Magio_
    ✭✭✭✭
    Amottica wrote: »
    Zenimax did their test. They have real data from that test and Gina commented on the results.

And they decided to separate the DM queue and apply the current queue options. Don't conveniently forget that part.
    Dark Convergence is bad, but I'm hesitant to blame it specifically for all of the DM-only problems last update. We've had other really bad BG metas before, like Viper, Sloads, or the brief foray into CP BGs.

It's nowhere near the same. I didn't care much about fighting vs DC spam myself, but from what I hear what people strongly dislike about it is losing control of their characters and basically having to play a minigame of The Floor Is Lava every BG for 15 minutes to not constantly lose control of their characters' movement.

Dying to an OP set is one thing. Dying to an Ult bomb 15 meters away from where you were positioned because of a set is something else entirely.
  • SkaraMinoc
    SkaraMinoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Great thread on the General Forums explaining what's happening w/ clips from the Creative Director.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/590843/battlegrounds-still-deathmatch-only

tl;dr the default queue is Deathmatch and majority of players select that which causes the Random queue to always Deathmatch. This also happened with Warsong Gulch and de_dust2.
    PC NA
  • Gamer1986PAN
    Gamer1986PAN
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SkaraMinoc wrote: »
    Great thread on the General Forums explaining what's happening w/ clips from the Creative Director.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/590843/battlegrounds-still-deathmatch-only

tl;dr the default queue is Deathmatch and majority of players select that which causes the Random queue to always Deathmatch. This also happened with Warsong Gulch and de_dust2.

in that case just dismiss tdm from the random queue so this queue has its purpose again... again 7/7 tdm. Or at least give this queue a minimum queue time from 5-10 minutes if you find enough players in that time that want to play any other then tdm then you dont put them in a tdm. after 5-10 minutes queue without group you can activite the tdm in this queue in the background. 5-10 minutes is a queue i will gladly wait for if i dont have to play that boring tdm over and over again...
    Edited by Gamer1986PAN on January 4, 2022 7:47PM
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    the most fair queues we had were probably the original ones (random + selection for DM/flag/land games and random gave the daily bonus, just like how dungeons work)

only random was not fair towards DM (20% chance of DM)

the current queue is not fair towards any mode that is not DM (99% chance of DM)

at least with original queue, if you didnt want DM you could avoid DM entirely (unless you wanted your daily random bonus), there were many times i specifically would queue for land and flag games because i did not want to do DM (in original system, using random was much closer to a 50/50 chance of DM than the the only random queue was)
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • mandricus
    mandricus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The problem with original implementation was the mix of group and solo queue. So, more often than not, two groups of random people were put against a premade team of organized builds, with a dedicated healer and vocal coordination for ulti dumps, with matches often finishing 500-0-0.
    That's the reason why they had to split the queue between group and solo players, making harder for the group finder (which has also to try to match people with similar MMR levels in order to avoid putting experienced players against newbies) to match 12 people with similar MMR level in order to start the match.
    I guess that on PC-EU and PC-NA the population at peak hours could still allow a further splitting of the queue (DM / Objectives split between group and solo players) but on consoles, expecially on Xbox, in most cases the low population is a problem (there is the concrete risk of having to wait hours and hours for a match to start)
    Edited by mandricus on January 5, 2022 10:30PM