The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 6:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – May 6, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
· Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)

How is it possible to deal such low(<10k) dps? (Solved, #1 updated)

• VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Auztinito wrote: »
    spartaxoxo wrote: »
    It’s punishes players that wish to play the way they want.

Part of getting good at any game is not just doing any random thing you feel like doing, but actually taking the time to learn how things work.

I do agree the game could do more to teach people to play it. But people who don't want to learn aren't going to use that regardless because that is a player goal issue NOT a game design issue. Even games that teach people better have a skill curve, and the people at the bottom for reasons they can help are generally speaking the ones who do whatever random thing they feel like doing for fun without regards to it's impact on their success or lack thereof.

The story content is more than enough for that kind of player. If you want more, don't just do random stuff and actually try.

It's actually not that hard to get mid-tier dps. It doesn't require trials sets or dlc dungeons. It doesn't require animation canceling, light attack weaving, and in some cases even bar swapping. It just requires an extremely basic rotation and desire to learn. Just tossing down some damage over time and heavy attacking for example can get you there. The game does not ask a lot to get people mid tier.

It is a game design issue if your average player base is not meeting the “pre-determined” average of the game.

For example, in FPS. What is usually average skill? 1.0 KD, right? What happens if more than half your players fail to meet that? As a game designer, that’s your job to figure out and fix. Understanding player behavior and psychology is a backbone to game design. Your job is to get players to meet that average whether you make it easier to achieve through matchmaking systems or giving advanced/more in depth tutorials.

The designers for this game basically like you think they can’t do anything to fix it when there are numerous ways they could.

- Add UI elements to make weaving easier

- Make it optional playstyle through gear sets.

- Tutorialize LA weaving and other mechanics

Instead they leave it in the hands of their community. A community that tells players to solo dungeons if they want to do story. A community that tell players to get gud when they struggle. A community that effectively calls bad dps fakes. I’m sorry. The community was never up to that task and it’s a complete failure on ZOS for thinking the community could solve it.

What level of content are you defining as your pre-defined average?

I'd say the vast majority of PUGS are able to complete normal content. In fact, the last time I remember a storm of complaints about lots of players being unable to complete dungeons, it was when level 10 players regularly got put in White Gold Tower or Imperial City Prison.

Now, that was a case where ZOS realized that the average level 10 player was not able to reliably compete White Gold Tower or Imperial City Prison without a lot of help, and so they sensibly changed the Groupfinder so that players didn't get those dungeons before level 45.

You should also know that ZOS does go back and adjust their DLC dungeons. Usually about a year later, we see them nerf places where groups frequently fail to make them more accessible to the average player who's doing those dungeons. Do note that caveat: the average player doing those dungeons. Not everyone wants to do DLC dungeons - and if they don't, they can't expect ZOS to rebalance content for them that they don't do.

I agree with you that the Devs can and should tutorialize more elements. I'm not sure that most players aren't capable of doing the content they want to do. Complaint threads make a lot of fuss on the forums, but it's rare for me to see PUG DPS so bad as to be worth remembering in normal dungeons. Most groups are capable enough to complete the dungeons.

I specifically state that players that hit 5-10k are only really limited to overland activities. Now while most PUGs won’t struggle because they’re in a group. However, if you enjoy doing story, your sol when you run dungeons. So they are limited to overland because story = solo or premade to Most players hitting that low aren’t going to have people unless they remove

I hate to say it, but you are dead wrong that players who do 5 to 10k DPS are limited to overland. I see plenty of them in Groupfinder and most of the time we do just fine in normal dungeons. DLC can be a pain, but it's not really a problem in base game dungeons as long as their team has a modicum of patience.

Maybe they are limited to doing overland solo, but group dungeons aren't intended to be done solo. They are intended to be done as a group, and specifically able to be PUGed by a random tank, healer, and two DDs. And normal dungeons are successfully PUGed all the time by players with 5-10k DPS.

I'm sorry, but you can't complain that 5-10k DPS won't allow you to solo content that isn't even intended to be soloed. Well, you can complain, but it doesn't really make sense to me. Most players doing 5-10k DPS play and complete normal dungeons as intended - in a group.

Dungeon Norm - Rush to final boss.

Someone needs quests - Pick up quests for them but skip all dialogue.

Players that are doing 5 -10k dps are not going to be able solo like most players tell them to do if they want to do story.

In short, the community is not conducive to low dps players that want to do story within dungeons.

I do think that premade groups are an underrated option for players who want to take their time and enjoy the story. It's not just a thing for low DPS players.

There are plenty of ways to do it, even if you don't have friends who play or they aren't interested. I've seen people on these forums recruit people for story runs. I've seen people recruit in guild chat for story and gear runs. Rarely in zone, but I've seen that too. It's less about low DPS than it is about getting players together for a common goal that goes beyond "just finish the dungeon" which is about all anyone gets out of random Groupfinder.

Now, ideally, ZOS would make a genuine story mode since they insist on including dungeons in their year long story arcs. The catch with bringing group dungeons down to the level of an overland quest or even a public dungeon is that you have to dramatically change the boss mechanics. Even dungeon bosses that can be soloed have a ton of mechanics that are normally spread out between 4 players. It's a lot when it's only one player, so that would need to be changed.
    Options
  • Kwoung
    Kwoung
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Now, ideally, ZOS would make a genuine story mode since they insist on including dungeons in their year long story arcs. The catch with bringing group dungeons down to the level of an overland quest or even a public dungeon is that you have to dramatically change the boss mechanics. Even dungeon bosses that can be soloed have a ton of mechanics that are normally spread out between 4 players. It's a lot when it's only one player, so that would need to be changed.

I am sure you are aware, that if ZOS did offer a story mode, they would err on the safe side and literally balance it for the lowest common denomination, which would effectively remove any sort of challenge whatsoever. Pretty much like overland, but without bosses. Not saying that is a bad thing, as some would probably appreciate it, but I would guess, that most want some sort of challenge in order to feel like they accomplished something and participated in the story. I know it would leave me feeling pretty empty if it was simply read the dialog, then one shot the dungeon/boss. Or, maybe I am completely wrong on that. /shrug

Options
  • TheImperfect
    TheImperfect
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Part of getting good at any game is not just doing any random thing you feel like doing, but actually taking the time to learn how things work.

I do agree the game could do more to teach people to play it. But people who don't want to learn aren't going to use that regardless because that is a player goal issue NOT a game design issue. Even games that teach people better have a skill curve, and the people at the bottom for reasons they can help are generally speaking the ones who do whatever random thing they feel like doing for fun without regards to it's impact on their success or lack thereof.

The story content is more than enough for that kind of player. If you want more, don't just do random stuff and actually try.

It's actually not that hard to get mid-tier dps. It doesn't require trials sets or dlc dungeons. It doesn't require animation canceling, light attack weaving, and in some cases even bar swapping. It just requires an extremely basic rotation and desire to learn. Just tossing down some damage over time and heavy attacking for example can get you there. The game does not ask a lot to get people mid tier.

It is a game design issue if your average player base is not meeting the “pre-determined” average of the game.

For example, in FPS. What is usually average skill? 1.0 KD, right? What happens if more than half your players fail to meet that? As a game designer, that’s your job to figure out and fix. Understanding player behavior and psychology is a backbone to game design. Your job is to get players to meet that average whether you make it easier to achieve through matchmaking systems or giving advanced/more in depth tutorials.

The designers for this game basically like you think they can’t do anything to fix it when there are numerous ways they could.

Instead they leave it in the hands of their community. A community that tells players to solo dungeons if they want to do story. A community that tell players to get gud when they struggle. A community that effectively calls bad dps fakes. I’m sorry. The community was never up to that task and it’s a complete failure on ZOS for thinking the community could solve it.

I'd say the vast majority of PUGS are able to complete normal content. In fact, the last time I remember a storm of complaints about lots of players being unable to complete dungeons, it was when level 10 players regularly got put in White Gold Tower or Imperial City Prison.

Now, that was a case where ZOS realized that the average level 10 player was not able to reliably compete White Gold Tower or Imperial City Prison without a lot of help, and so they sensibly changed the Groupfinder so that players didn't get those dungeons before level 45.

You should also know that ZOS does go back and adjust their DLC dungeons. Usually about a year later, we see them nerf places where groups frequently fail to make them more accessible to the average player who's doing those dungeons. Do note that caveat: the average player doing those dungeons. Not everyone wants to do DLC dungeons - and if they don't, they can't expect ZOS to rebalance content for them that they don't do.

I agree with you that the Devs can and should tutorialize more elements. I'm not sure that most players aren't capable of doing the content they want to do. Complaint threads make a lot of fuss on the forums, but it's rare for me to see PUG DPS so bad as to be worth remembering in normal dungeons. Most groups are capable enough to complete the dungeons.

I specifically state that players that hit 5-10k are only really limited to overland activities. Now while most PUGs won’t struggle because they’re in a group. However, if you enjoy doing story, your sol when you run dungeons. So they are limited to overland because story = solo or premade to Most players hitting that low aren’t going to have people unless they remove

I hate to say it, but you are dead wrong that players who do 5 to 10k DPS are limited to overland. I see plenty of them in Groupfinder and most of the time we do just fine in normal dungeons. DLC can be a pain, but it's not really a problem in base game dungeons as long as their team has a modicum of patience.

Maybe they are limited to doing overland solo, but group dungeons aren't intended to be done solo. They are intended to be done as a group, and specifically able to be PUGed by a random tank, healer, and two DDs. And normal dungeons are successfully PUGed all the time by players with 5-10k DPS.

I'm sorry, but you can't complain that 5-10k DPS won't allow you to solo content that isn't even intended to be soloed. Well, you can complain, but it doesn't really make sense to me. Most players doing 5-10k DPS play and complete normal dungeons as intended - in a group.

Players that are doing 5 -10k dps are not going to be able solo like most players tell them to do if they want to do story.

In short, the community is not conducive to low dps players that want to do story within dungeons.

I do think that premade groups are an underrated option for players who want to take their time and enjoy the story. It's not just a thing for low DPS players.

There are plenty of ways to do it, even if you don't have friends who play or they aren't interested. I've seen people on these forums recruit people for story runs. I've seen people recruit in guild chat for story and gear runs. Rarely in zone, but I've seen that too. It's less about low DPS than it is about getting players together for a common goal that goes beyond "just finish the dungeon" which is about all anyone gets out of random Groupfinder.

Maybe instead of changing the mechanics they could force each players screen to see the dialogue and go through it at each point where dialogue is an option before being able to move on to the next part of the dungeon or leave the dungeon. At the end of the dungeon you could have an extra 20 minutes before it kicks you out to have a look around.
    Options
  • tzaeru
    tzaeru
    ✭✭

Maybe instead of changing the mechanics they could force each players screen to see the dialogue and go through it at each point where dialogue is an option before being able to move on to the next part of the dungeon or leave the dungeon. At the end of the dungeon you could have an extra 20 minutes before it kicks you out to have a look around.

This would be extremely annoying when farming for specific set items.
    Options
  • tzaeru
    tzaeru
    ✭✭
    tzaeru wrote: »
    For example, in FPS. What is usually average skill? 1.0 KD, right? What happens if more than half your players fail to meet that? As a game designer, that’s your job to figure out and fix.

FPS games use matchmakers that balance the teams, which aren't similarly possible for PvE games.

The average KD must of course be 1.0 over the whole playerbase, since each kill corresponds with a death.

But if you put the whole playerbase play randomly vs other, the median KD would be significantly below 1.0. Maybe something like 0.6.
    Your job is to get players to meet that average whether you make it easier to achieve through matchmaking systems or giving advanced/more in depth tutorials.

More in-depth tutorials would be needed. The weaving for example is not explained at all.

But nothing says that a game can't have a lot of content that feels inaccessible to the average player.

It's really up to the developers to decide how accessible and easy or hard they want content to be.

Tutorializing is fine but weaving adds depth to the combat experience and increases the skill ceiling, which I think is a good thing. It's nice that via practicing something a lot, you can perform significantly better than the average in it. I like that.
    A community that tells players to solo dungeons if they want to do story.

My primary guild arranges story dungeon crawls where everyone is given all the time they want to read through lore and listen to dialogue before progressing to the next part.

Personally I tell players, who want to do stories in dungeons, to either look for friends or guildmates to do the dungeon with or alternatively, when they join a dungeon, say in chat "Hi, I'm reading the lore and would like to see all the bosses, is that OK?"
    A community that tell players to get gud when they struggle.

From me the answer is same as above.. Find friends or guildmates :smile:
    A community that effectively calls bad dps fakes.

I've luckily never seen this happen though I would find it very mean-spirited.

A good enough player should be able to carry a "bad" player so flaming them is just sad.

Accessible != Easy.

For example, let’s look at FFXIV. What makes that game difficult at endgame? It’s mechanics. Mechanics players need to utilize to beat the boss. Anyone is welcome to play the content but it’s not easy especially if we talk about current Savage/Unreal/Ultimates, right? Overtime players learn mechanics because players pass on the knowledge. It doesn’t get easier because it’s more about knowing than pushing your dps to skip a phase.

You can make difficult content that is accessible and beatable by bad players. What matters in that type of content is group. If someone is slacking, you’re a team. Help pick up their slack like a team.

Now, that’s great to hear but it’s not the norm of guilds or this community. That is no different than saying it’s the community’s job to fix this problem.

I'm not sure if I see how a dungeon can simultaneously be challenging and interesting to a "good" player and a "bad" player.

If you prefer to focus on mechanics and don't want to - or can't - get solid with a DPS rotation, play a tank or a healer. They anyway have a bigger demand than DDs do.

Overall I would claim that the group of people that is able to push their DPS very high and the group of people that learn mechanics quickly has a large overlap. Not a 100% overlap, but very large overlap nevertheless.

This is to say that it is likely that you'll find it is mostly the same people who both learn mechanics fast and can react quickly enough to difficult mechanics in veteran content, and who also are able to push their DPS very high.

Personally I think it's great that players who are able to execute accurate rotations and manage DoTs carefully get an advantage. It increases the skill ceiling and gives mechanically talented players something more to strive for. To me, arguing that it's unfair to the average player sounds a bit like arguing that extra damage from headshots in CS:GO is unfair to the players who are not able to reliably hit headshots.

Like, sure, you're right, headshots do give a significant advantage to a skilled player over an unskilled player. But they raise the skill ceiling and make the game more interesting to the skilled players.
    Edited by tzaeru on November 25, 2021 8:48AM
    Options
  • Auztinito
    Auztinito
    ✭✭✭
    For example, in FPS. What is usually average skill? 1.0 KD, right? What happens if more than half your players fail to meet that? As a game designer, that’s your job to figure out and fix.

FPS games use matchmakers that balance the teams, which aren't similarly possible for PvE games.

The average KD must of course be 1.0 over the whole playerbase, since each kill corresponds with a death.

But if you put the whole playerbase play randomly vs other, the median KD would be significantly below 1.0. Maybe something like 0.6.
    Your job is to get players to meet that average whether you make it easier to achieve through matchmaking systems or giving advanced/more in depth tutorials.

More in-depth tutorials would be needed. The weaving for example is not explained at all.

But nothing says that a game can't have a lot of content that feels inaccessible to the average player.

It's really up to the developers to decide how accessible and easy or hard they want content to be.

Tutorializing is fine but weaving adds depth to the combat experience and increases the skill ceiling, which I think is a good thing. It's nice that via practicing something a lot, you can perform significantly better than the average in it. I like that.
    A community that tells players to solo dungeons if they want to do story.

My primary guild arranges story dungeon crawls where everyone is given all the time they want to read through lore and listen to dialogue before progressing to the next part.

Personally I tell players, who want to do stories in dungeons, to either look for friends or guildmates to do the dungeon with or alternatively, when they join a dungeon, say in chat "Hi, I'm reading the lore and would like to see all the bosses, is that OK?"
    A community that tell players to get gud when they struggle.

From me the answer is same as above.. Find friends or guildmates :smile:
    A community that effectively calls bad dps fakes.

I've luckily never seen this happen though I would find it very mean-spirited.

A good enough player should be able to carry a "bad" player so flaming them is just sad.

Accessible != Easy.

For example, let’s look at FFXIV. What makes that game difficult at endgame? It’s mechanics. Mechanics players need to utilize to beat the boss. Anyone is welcome to play the content but it’s not easy especially if we talk about current Savage/Unreal/Ultimates, right? Overtime players learn mechanics because players pass on the knowledge. It doesn’t get easier because it’s more about knowing than pushing your dps to skip a phase.

You can make difficult content that is accessible and beatable by bad players. What matters in that type of content is group. If someone is slacking, you’re a team. Help pick up their slack like a team.

Now, that’s great to hear but it’s not the norm of guilds or this community. That is no different than saying it’s the community’s job to fix this problem.

I'm not sure if I see how a dungeon can simultaneously be challenging and interesting to a "good" player and a "bad" player.

If you prefer to focus on mechanics and don't want to - or can't - get solid with a DPS rotation, play a tank or a healer. They anyway have a bigger demand than DDs do.

Overall I would claim that the group of people that is able to push their DPS very high and the group of people that learn mechanics quickly has a large overlap. Not a 100% overlap, but very large overlap nevertheless.

This is to say that it is likely that you'll find it is mostly the same people who both learn mechanics fast and can react quickly enough to difficult mechanics in veteran content, and who also are able to push their DPS very high.

Personally I think it's great that players who are able to execute accurate rotations and manage DoTs carefully get an advantage. It increases the skill ceiling and gives mechanically talented players something more to strive for. To me, arguing that it's unfair to the average player sounds a bit like arguing that extra damage from headshots in CS:GO is unfair to the players who are not able to reliably hit headshots.

Like, sure, you're right, headshots do give a significant advantage to a skilled player over an unskilled player. But they raise the skill ceiling and make the game more interesting to the skilled players.

If that high dps skill ceiling didn’t dictate all dungeons then you’d have more players in dungeons and getting better/progressing.

Here’s the thing.

Why do you need/like having such a drastic advantage over others in PvE?

That is a horrible analogy. Headshot-ing in a shooter is consistent is easily achieved by anyone. LA Weaving on the other hand isn’t about fairness. For a good amount of players, it’s a “mechanic” that strains players hands, looks incredible wonky, isn’t naturally learned through experience of the gameplay, and is not something that’s consistent in the game.

If it was made an optional part, what does it change if the gap was shrunken to be more in line? It doesn’t hinder you. You’re still able to do it.

If it was made easier through UI elements or the game’s system(Sound Indicator when done correctly). How does it negatively affect you?
    Options
  • tzaeru
    tzaeru
    ✭✭
    If that high dps skill ceiling didn’t dictate all dungeons then you’d have more players in dungeons and getting better/progressing.

DD is only half the roles though. In my guild we've several people who only play healer or tank in veteran trials because they can't or don't like to do tight DPS rotations.

Also are you sure you aren't exaggerating a little bit regarding the difficulty of dungeons?

I duo'ed the base game I-dungeons (Fungal Grotto 1, Darkshade Caverns 1, etc) as a newbie without proper sets or a proper rotation with a friend. It was tough for sure but it was also very entertaining and fun.

I have hard time seeing how 4 newbies could not get through normal basegame dungeons.

Because if mostly everything is achievable by mostly everyone, then it no longer feels like an achievement.
    Headshot-ing in a shooter is consistent is easily achieved by anyone.

This is very far from my own experiences. When I played CS:GO actively, I practiced daily and still kept missing shots I think should be hits 99% of time. The difference between headshotting accuracy of someone who practices daily and decidedly compared to someone who only plays casually on the weekends is massive, as it should be.
    LA Weaving on the other hand isn’t about fairness. For a good amount of players, it’s a “mechanic” that strains players hands, looks incredible wonky, isn’t naturally learned through experience of the gameplay, and is not something that’s consistent in the game.

Game should explain it better, but it kinda is discoverable in the game if you're inclined to consider mechanics like this.

Is it a strain for some players, sure. But it's not really more of a strain than fighting games, or GW2, or so on.
    If it was made an optional part, what does it change if the gap was shrunken to be more in line? It doesn’t hinder you. You’re still able to do it.

If it didn't give me a meaningful advantage, why would I do it?

Weaving is not required to complete the base game dungeons. I wasn't aware of the proper weaving technique when I completed my first dungeons.
    If it was made easier through UI elements or the game’s system(Sound Indicator when done correctly). How does it negatively affect you?

That's fine. By making it easier, I thought you've been meaning to make it easier to execute when you are aware of it.

Making it easier to learn sure, I'm all for that.

EDIT, addition:

Here's my admittedly still intermediate-level parse that I used to pass the DPS check for veteran trials in my guild (52k). Potions not used and the skills are somewhat suboptimal, I didn't e.g. have a Barbed Trap available: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/747180502406004766/913134762066063410/unknown.png

Light attacks only represent 20% of the damage directly. You would need to light attack every 8 seconds to keep ulti generation up, but that's all really.

Weaving is not the majority of my damage. The sets, DoT management and a somewhat proper rotation make up the bulk.
    Edited by tzaeru on November 25, 2021 10:17AM
    Options
  • LashanW
    LashanW
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a horrible analogy. Headshot-ing in a shooter is consistent is easily achieved by anyone. LA Weaving on the other hand isn’t about fairness. For a good amount of players, it’s a “mechanic” that strains players hands, looks incredible wonky, isn’t naturally learned through experience of the gameplay, and is not something that’s consistent in the game.
    LA weaving is not intuitive that's for sure. But most of the high end combat stuff aren't naturally learned through experience of the gameplay anyways. We don't even have a replayable combat tutorial or a training area (that isn't player made) in ESO. That's why we see so many pugs who don't use the basics such as blocking or interrupting.

But what do you mean LA weaving isn't consistent? It's very consistent if your ping is 300 or less and server isn't having hiccups.
    How do you make it more optional than it already is? There are builds that does not involve LA weaving and still can do veteran content. Unless you mean every difficult combat achievement should be doable without LA weaving.
    Such features would be very nice in base game. I don't think anyone would say no to such things. Fortunately for me, I play on PC. Addon community already got this covered. I personally use GCD bar addon,
    https://esoui.com/downloads/info2322-GlobalCooldownGCDBar.html

Oh btw, the gap between players who LA weave and who don't. It's not that big. Somewhere around 30% dps difference. I did a test back in update 29. Tested on my magsorc.
    One more fun fact: The dps difference is around 40% if you completely disable light attacks (no heavies either) AND don't use ultimates.
    ---No longer active in ESO---
    Platform: PC-EU
    CP: 2500+
    Trial Achievements
    Godslayer, Gryphon Heart, Tick-Tock Tormentor, Immortal Redeemer, Dro-m'Athra Destroyer, vMoL no death

Arena Achievements
    vMA Flawless, vVH Spirit Slayer

DLC Dungeon Trifectas
    Scalecaller Peak, Fang Lair, Depths of Malatar, Icereach
    Options
  • Kiralyn2000
    Kiralyn2000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Because if mostly everything is achievable by mostly everyone, then it no longer feels like an achievement.

I guess that's part of me not being a strongly "competitive" person - I honestly don't care what other people have achieved or not, or how much faster they did it than me. Nor do I get a "woohoo, I'm awesome!" from getting Achievement X, Y, or Z. The only part of achievements that matter are things they unlock, like dyes & costumes. Doesn't matter what they represent.

(I was completely baffled, way back when in WoW when they made raids "more accessible", and some raiders screamed about how their fancy uber-stat raid armor was now "worthless", because other people had it. That makes no sense, it still has the same better-stats-than-anything-else. Who the *bleep* cares if anyone else has it equipped?)

- but yeah. Not being really 'competitive' also factors in to not caring to min-max my DPS better & better via repeated target dummy use; and not caring about PvP. I'm just here to mess around, quest, explore, and enjoy the game. /shrug

But don't worry - I don't dungeon or PvP, so I'm not inflicting my lousy builds & DPS on anyone else. :#
    Options
  • alanmatillab16_ESO
    alanmatillab16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    even worse than all of that is the sort of player that plays with one eye on their damage meter and one hand down their pants. Leave that shtaco in WoW. They refuse to remove debuffs, get out of the fire, taunt adds or anything else that is not doing "DeEpEeEsS" incase it wastes a global cooldown and they drop down the damage meter.
    Edited by alanmatillab16_ESO on November 25, 2021 2:01PM
    Options
  • etchedpixels
    etchedpixels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Raideen wrote: »

I don't use trial target dummies, I dont have the patience to sit there for 6 minutes working on a dummy. I use the el cheapo Clockwork city target dummy. I have never hit over 32k on that dummy and I have a number of builds where I use the standard back bar staff magicka build infused spellpower with wall of elements, an armor debuff, a dot and my spammable and I cant even hit much above 15k.

Most of the parses are measured with gear, food and the like chosen for that purpose only, on a dummy that gives you all the buffs you would have in a trial. It's not an equivalent comparison at all.

If you want a better comparison group with a frioend or two wearing high group buffing armour, spamming combat prayer and the other buffs and have them just buff you whilst you beat up the clockwork dummy.

Too many toons not enough time
    Options
  • Troodon80
    Troodon80
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most of the parses are measured with gear, food and the like chosen for that purpose only, on a dummy that gives you all the buffs you would have in a trial. It's not an equivalent comparison at all.

If you want a better comparison group with a frioend or two wearing high group buffing armour, spamming combat prayer and the other buffs and have them just buff you whilst you beat up the clockwork dummy.
    Do not parse on the Clockwork Precursor, especially with friends. It's useful for low level and low DPS players getting the hang of a rotation, but shouldn't be used for parsing. It only has 9100 resistances, not the 18200 that proper overland, delve, dungeon, and trial bosses have.

If you meant the centurion, sure, that's a good target, but given the health pool you'd probably still want a fairly large group to get it down in a decent time.
    Edited by Troodon80 on November 26, 2021 2:15AM
    @Troodon80 PC | EU
    Guild: N&S
    Hand of Alkosh | Dawnbringer | Immortal Redeemer | Tick Tock Tormentor | Gryphon Heart
    Deep Dive into Dreadsail Reef Mechanics
    Options
  • Ratinira
    Ratinira
    ✭✭✭✭
    blktauna wrote: »
    Magio_ wrote: »
    People don't care about pulling their own weight.

Rude man. Low level dungeons simply don't need a lot of DPS. There's no reason to be harsh on folks who are doing ok but not what you personally want.

Low lvl dungeons don't need a lot of DPS when you are grouped with someone who has a lot of DPS
    But when your group's overall DPS is around 12k and you struggling to kill even trash mobs the opinion about the amount of DPS is changing... somewhere after waisting 30 min in lvl 10 dungeon...
    Options
  • etchedpixels
    etchedpixels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe it’s wording. What I’m saying is players that hitting 5-10k aren’t able to solo dungeons. Now, that is by design. However, that completely clashes with the community in that 98% of PUGs will either ignore your request to do/experience story or groups will be helpful in the way of picking up quests for you but skip any and all dialogue. Hence, those are basically forced to try and solo or come with a Premade. Which by far and large those players are locked out of those options. Hence, they are stuck in doing overland.

A lot of dungeons you can do with 10k dps solo. My tank does it. It's just a bit more of a mellow trundle than a crash and burn speedrun.

For groups most of the non DLC (and some DLC) dungeons do not need high DPS if you do the mechanics. DS1 requires almost no DPS providing you bash the hive lord and stay out of the crap, Direfrost requires people know how to break free, keep some stamina and block, VoM requires knowing where to stand in one spot and in fact one bit is easier with a low dps group, Arx requires knowing where to stand and when to move, as opposed to the more usual 'stand on her tail and heal like crazy' DPS burn. Many of the others just require not dying too much.

As to being locked out - that's more about finding the right guild. I'm in both EU and NA guilds that are very much casual and also have a minimum age limit. There are no minimum DPS rules, no requirements to wear specific gear, we laugh when we wipe and if someone has to pop off for 5 minutes to put a kid to bed we bimble around looting everything.

I've also tanked a few 'hired mercenary' dungeon runs with RP folk, which were interesting and a way to actually get to admire the architecture, do a bit of dungeon fishing and actually see the detail whilst helping people.

Options
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A lot of dungeons you can do with 10k dps solo. My tank does it. It's just a bit more of a mellow trundle than a crash and burn speedrun.
    Player skill in this game is more important than DPS, and the two are not the same thing.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
    Options
  • Facefister
    Facefister
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Elsonso wrote: »
    Player skill in this game is more important than DPS, and the two are not the same thing.
    Consistent high DPS is a result of playing the mechanics correctly. High skill = High performance. The "10k dps dd who never dies" vs "50k dps dd who is always dead" is a fairytale which never happens, it's the other way around most of the times.
    Options
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Facefister wrote: »
    Consistent high DPS is a result of playing the mechanics correctly. High skill = High performance. The "10k dps dd who never dies" vs "50k dps dd who is always dead" is a fairytale which never happens, it's the other way around most of the times.

Who is the skilled player... the 10k DPS that does not die or the 50k DPS that does not die? Answer: both of them. :smile:
    Options
  • etchedpixels
    etchedpixels
    ✭✭✭✭✭

There is a lot of context around that sort of statement. A conservatively built solo toon or a PvP toon in a dungeon often survives far better than the top end dd. It's not just a matter oif skill but that if the PvP toon makes a mistake it's "ouch", if a glass cannon high end dd makes a mistake they are a pair of smoking boots on the floor. That's an intentional game trade off. The standard of playing skill to run dungeons (particularly vet) when you throw everything into damage output is simply much higher.

I'm nto sure the other half of the equation equates to "skill" in the usual gaming 'my fingers are a blur of co-ordinated genius' form either.

The real world (not dummy) solo dps numbers on my stamplar are about 35-40K single target, that's in real world gear with real world food.

I am not a master of weaving, nor do I flick effortlessly between 10 skills and barswaps nor do I buff particularly. It works because the character is built right. All the skill in my stamplar is in the build most of which I got from the net. So I have to ask whether my DPS is my skill or theirs...
    Options
  • Magio_
    Magio_
    ✭✭✭✭

Who is the skilled player... the 10k DPS that does not die or the 50k DPS that does not die? Answer: both of them. :smile:
    Drop two "skilled" 10k DPS'ers that "never die" into vCR+3 portals and let me know if the raid group would clear.

What I want to know is, what stops such a genius top tier "never die" DPS from doing 50k+ DPS instead of a mere 10k?
    Options
  • lolo_01b16_ESO
    lolo_01b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Sadly this is not the case in most fights. As soon as you reach a certain dps threshold many fights become a lot easier, because certain difficult mechanics don't happen anymore. And so far ZOS hasn't really found a solution for this and instead just increases the HP bosses have in hardmode more and more, hoping that we won't have enough dps.
    Options
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Drop two "skilled" 10k DPS'ers that "never die" into vCR+3 portals and let me know if the raid group would clear.

Well, you realize that if they have gotten to the point of doing vCR+3, they have probably done the easier ones and succeeded. A skilled player would have already achieved that. Right?
    Options
  • thorwyn
    thorwyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Troodon80 wrote: »
    thorwyn wrote: »

Do not parse on the Clockwork Precursor, especially with friends. It's useful for low level and low DPS players getting the hang of a rotation, but shouldn't be used for parsing. It only has 9100 resistances, not the 18200 that proper overland, delve, dungeon, and trial bosses have.

If you meant the centurion, sure, that's a good target, but given the health pool you'd probably still want a fairly large group to get it down in a decent time.

That's not my quote.. but I agree with you! :D
    And if the dam breaks open many years too soon
    And if there is no room upon the hill
    And if your head explodes with dark forebodings too
    I'll see you on the dark side of the moon
    Options
  • Facefister
    Facefister
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

There is a lot of context around that sort of statement. A conservatively built solo toon or a PvP toon in a dungeon often survives far better than the top end dd. It's not just a matter oif skill but that if the PvP toon makes a mistake it's "ouch", if a glass cannon high end dd makes a mistake they are a pair of smoking boots on the floor. That's an intentional game trade off. The standard of playing skill to run dungeons (particularly vet) when you throw everything into damage output is simply much higher.

I'm nto sure the other half of the equation equates to "skill" in the usual gaming 'my fingers are a blur of co-ordinated genius' form either.

The real world (not dummy) solo dps numbers on my stamplar are about 35-40K single target, that's in real world gear with real world food.

I am not a master of weaving, nor do I flick effortlessly between 10 skills and barswaps nor do I buff particularly. It works because the character is built right. All the skill in my stamplar is in the build most of which I got from the net. So I have to ask whether my DPS is my skill or theirs...
    Delivering high amount of damage in a short time is RELEVANT in every content type. A tanky, survivial expert in PvP who only delivers like 2k dps is nothing but a fly on a windshield, he is irrelevant. A super sturdy solo player who does like 5k dps will reach his limits in certain solo content, like the vet arenas. I do 1T3DD runs, vet Blackrose included, and the "survival" aspect you talk about is something you do on the side, while dishing out high damage.
    Options
  • Magio_
    Magio_
    ✭✭✭✭

Well, you realize that if they have gotten to the point of doing vCR+3, they have probably done the easier ones and succeeded. A skilled player would have already achieved that. Right?

What? There's basically no prerequisites to joining a vet Trial. Just pick up two 10k DPS and drop em on that mechanic. Would they succeed? No, they wouldn't.
    Options
  • karekiz
    karekiz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    1. Remove kilt. That's a mythic item that requires work <Yes to a super casual doing less than 10K DPS RoM Normal farming is tiring>. Hell even for veterans farming RoM can be tiring and it doesn't even take long.
    2. Equip a random mundus. Maybe spell damage. I mean you do damage. This increases spell damage. Damage is good right?
    3. Use non dungeon/trial sets. Maybe you can get a random 5 dungeon piece together, but raids are generally scary, im new and not ready for raiding. I came from X MMO where only top end players could manage to enter a raid guild, and im only 200 CP! Traits would be miss matched as well.
    4. Forget about parsing. See that's the first issue. You parsed and saw "X" Dmg. Don't use dmg meters either. So with that in mind que into a dungeon. Do your thing. It doesn't matter if it takes forever, this IS current content for you. So it should be hard, which for that player it seems to be. If it goes smoothly, then I guess my build/playing is good enough. I mean I just SAILED through that dungeon right?
    5. I see your at crit dmg cap. Whats crit dmg? I dunno. I just slotted something that gave me more resources/mitagation/spell dmg. Maybe a Direct Damage % modifier if I have enough CP. I slotted mitagation because mobs generally hit me hard and I want to be tankier, I slotted resources so I can heal myself more or do more dmg, and the direct dmg because I use one spammable as my main attack. All reasonable choices if you think about it in that way.
    6.Speaking of tanky. All those attribute points? I have 20 into Health and the rest into Magic. I wanted to a little bit more tanky because I died to "X" encounter and I wanted to outlive the AoE's. It just asked me this as I level up, and I just selected what I thought best at the time and have stuck with it. Worked so far so it seems ok.

Thats just the tip.
    Edited by karekiz on November 25, 2021 6:37PM
    Options
  • Troodon80
    Troodon80
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    thorwyn wrote: »
    That's not my quote.. but I agree with you! :D
    Terribly sorry about that. I have no idea how that happened. Going to assume it's just some momentary forum weirdness.
    @Troodon80 PC | EU
    Guild: N&S
    Hand of Alkosh | Dawnbringer | Immortal Redeemer | Tick Tock Tormentor | Gryphon Heart
    Deep Dive into Dreadsail Reef Mechanics
    Options
  • Toxic_Hemlock
    Toxic_Hemlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    karekiz wrote: »
    1. Remove kilt. That's a mythic item that requires work <Yes to a super casual doing less than 10K DPS RoM Normal farming is tiring>. Hell even for veterans farming RoM can be tiring and it doesn't even take long.
    2. Equip a random mundus. Maybe spell damage. I mean you do damage. This increases spell damage. Damage is good right?
    3. Use non dungeon/trial sets. Maybe you can get a random 5 dungeon piece together, but raids are generally scary, im new and not ready for raiding. I came from X MMO where only top end players could manage to enter a raid guild, and im only 200 CP! Traits would be miss matched as well.
    4. Forget about parsing. See that's the first issue. You parsed and saw "X" Dmg. Don't use dmg meters either. So with that in mind que into a dungeon. Do your thing. It doesn't matter if it takes forever, this IS current content for you. So it should be hard, which for that player it seems to be. If it goes smoothly, then I guess my build/playing is good enough. I mean I just SAILED through that dungeon right?
    5. I see your at crit dmg cap. Whats crit dmg? I dunno. I just slotted something that gave me more resources/mitagation/spell dmg. Maybe a Direct Damage % modifier if I have enough CP. I slotted mitagation because mobs generally hit me hard and I want to be tankier, I slotted resources so I can heal myself more or do more dmg, and the direct dmg because I use one spammable as my main attack. All reasonable choices if you think about it in that way.
    6.Speaking of tanky. All those attribute points? I have 20 into Health and the rest into Magic. I wanted to a little bit more tanky because I died to "X" encounter and I wanted to outlive the AoE's. It just asked me this as I level up, and I just selected what I thought best at the time and have stuck with it. Worked so far so it seems ok.

Thats just the tip.

Ok here goes:

1) I don't have nor want the kilt as the wild ring gives a speed boost and I am happy with it.
    2) Not a moron so I use what suits my character.
    Also why does everyone assume that if I want to just be a casual player I must have some kind of mental impairment?
    3) I only do the first 4 dungeons as a healer/tank then delete my character and do randoms again for a week.
    Most of my equipment is overland or crafted. And yes trial and vet content is outside of my skill level, but I don't find them scary, just unobtainable.
    4) Parse, what pray tell is a parse?
    As I said in 3) I only do the first 4 easy dungeons that are usually steamrolled by other players so who am I really hurting?
    5) Again who cares If I have a stat at cap, some of us care much more about the fun than the numbers.
    I don't play an RPG to become a math professor.
    6) What exactly is wrong with a character wanting to be a bit tankier?
    Is that something that is also never allowed in most groups, good thing I solo 99% of the time?

Seriously there is room for all playstyles in this game so why pick on those that play it differently than you?

Posts like this are the main reason I avoid trying to group in any harder content, I refuse to give up my empathy for any elitist sense of superiority.

edit: clarity
    Edited by Toxic_Hemlock on November 26, 2021 3:45AM
    Options
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    karekiz wrote: »

Thats just the tip.

Ok here goes:

[removed bulk of response]

Posts like this are the main reason I avoid trying to group in any harder content, I refuse to give up my empathy for any elitist sense of superiority.
    You definitely interpreted the comment from @karekiz differently than I did. :smile:

It answered the question of how is it possible, which was largely rhetorical. The OP's build was designed to do 17k DPS spamming light attacks. I bet that their timing was on point, too. A am sure that a lot of players don't spec for 17k DPS light attacks, and don't even try. They build based on what is in front of them, and the post you responded to outlines some of this. Even if they are trying to follow a build, a lot of players don't have the gear and skills mentioned, even for the basic build, so they substitute. They should not expect to get 17k DPS light attacks.

I think most players would be fortunate to get a quarter of the crit the OP had. As such, most people probably do in the neighborhood of 4k-6k DPS spamming light attacks, but that is just a SWAG.

Edited by Elsonso on November 26, 2021 2:58PM
    Options
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can easily reach 40k dps by spamming light attack + 2 skills
    zgJo9Qj.jpg

How is <10k dps even possible?

I noticed your parse consists of 80% to 85% Critical Chance, plus some other buffs. That's a LOT of crit damage for what you're claiming is barely trying. You should understand the players you're confused about have a Crit Chance of maybe 30% at most.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
    Options
  • karekiz
    karekiz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Seriously there is room for all playstyles in this game so why pick on those that play it differently than you?

edit: clarity

Let me clarify. The OP Asked and I quote from the thread title "how is it possible to deal such low(<10k) dps?" providing a parse as evidence. I looked at the parse and responded. It wasn't some weird attack on people, but an observation on how new players understand and play the game without full knowledge of systems or items.

I don't know why you assumed I am some weird elitist. Quite far from it.
    Edited by karekiz on November 26, 2021 7:58PM
    Options