Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 7:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 7
• Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 9, 2:00 UTC (October 8, 10:00PM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)

Idea: Class Monster Sets

Ashur_gul
Ashur_gul
Soul Shriven
So I've been thinking about this for a while: "monster" sets that are class specific. These would enhance/change a particular skill/class mehanic while equiped instead of it being a simple proc effect. Therefore these cannot be equipped across different class and would be obtained through achievements (like get all the class's skills lines to 50, which then unlocks a quest etc). These would technically be applicable across the three roles to some extent, but they would also require you to take particular skills, which may end up favouring one role over the others. Here's some expamples of what I was envisioning:

Necromancer:

(1pc) Adds 129 weapon and spell damage
(2pc) Adds 657 critical chance. Whenever you summon Blastbones while you have a Skeletal Mage active, your Skeletal Mage also summons Blastbones. Blastbones summoned by the Skeletal Mage leaves a corpse.

Warden:

(1pc) Adds 1096 Magicka and Stamina
(2pc) Adds 129 weapon and spell damage. While a Betty is active, all Frost damage you cause has a 100% to inflict Minor Brittle for 5 seconds. When an enemy is affect by Minor Brittle caused by your frost damage, you gain 15% critical chance and 10% damage reduction.

Dragonknight:

(1pc) Adds 1487 Offensive Penetration
(2pc) Adds 1487 Armor. Fiery Breath inflicts Major Maim for 10 seconds. While an enemy is afflicted by your Fiery Breath, you gain 100 Magicka, Stamina and Health recovery.

This is nowhere near perfect, but you get the idea. What do you guys think?
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It defeats the purpose of the game where you can be anything to do anything. Sure there are sets like Frostbite which is leaning towards Warden, but any class can get frost abilities to fill out at least 3 normal skills and 2 ultimate skills, Necromancer gets one more with Boneyard.
  • ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    It defeats the purpose of the game where you can be anything to do anything. Sure there are sets like Frostbite which is leaning towards Warden, but any class can get frost abilities to fill out at least 3 normal skills and 2 ultimate skills, Necromancer gets one more with Boneyard.

i dunno, if there's a paticular class specific set that you can get from a quest dedicated to your class, that'd be cool.
    PvE Frost Warden Main and teacher for ESO-U. Frost Warden PvE Build Article: https://eso-u.com/articles/nightingales_warden_dps_guide__frost_knight. Come Join the ESO Frost Discord to discuss everything frost!: https://discord.gg/5PT3rQX
  • Ashur_gul
    Ashur_gul
    Soul Shriven

I understand what you mean, but a single 2 piece set of class specific armor is not that restrictive, considering you can choose not to wear them at all.
  • Mrtoobyy
    Mrtoobyy
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think it is a great idea. Would love for something class specific. Artifact, monster set, jewelry. Add some cool lore to them, it would add more depth to the classes.
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ashur_gul wrote: »
    So I've been thinking about this for a while: "monster" sets that are class specific. These would enhance/change a particular skill/class mehanic while equiped instead of it being a simple proc effect. Therefore these cannot be equipped across different class and would be obtained through achievements (like get all the class's skills lines to 50, which then unlocks a quest etc). These would technically be applicable across the three roles to some extent, but they would also require you to take particular skills, which may end up favouring one role over the others. Here's some expamples of what I was envisioning:

Necromancer:

(2pc) Adds 657 critical chance. Whenever you summon Blastbones while you have a Skeletal Mage active, your Skeletal Mage also summons Blastbones. Blastbones summoned by the Skeletal Mage leaves a corpse.

Warden:

(2pc) Adds 129 weapon and spell damage. While a Betty is active, all Frost damage you cause has a 100% to inflict Minor Brittle for 5 seconds. When an enemy is affect by Minor Brittle caused by your frost damage, you gain 15% critical chance and 10% damage reduction.

Dragonknight:

(2pc) Adds 1487 Armor. Fiery Breath inflicts Major Maim for 10 seconds. While an enemy is afflicted by your Fiery Breath, you gain 100 Magicka, Stamina and Health recovery.

It's not a bad approach. But I prefer something like this worked into CP where characters can select specific class abilities to enhance. It would add some more flavor and diversity to character play styles and further distinguish classes and individualize them based on the player's choices.
  • lolo_01b16_ESO
    lolo_01b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This sounds like something that will be terribly unbalanced. Right now, when some set is too powerful, at least everyone can use it.
  • Nanfoodle
    Nanfoodle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No class armor pls. The gear system in this game is so much fun. I think OP is looking for WoW.
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Monster sets drop from bosses though. Usually dungeon, and a few IC sets.

Plus I like that MOST sets are useful on every class.

Plus your suggestions are super broken.
  • Ippokrates
    Ippokrates
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sets could benefit certain classes more than others but they cannot be restricted to one class only, or it will break the game.

For example, everyone could use Deadly Strike, but probably Templars will benefit the most (although i made some sick DK & Warden builds with Deadly ^^). The same thing goes with Shock/Physical sets for Sorcerers, Fire/Poison for DK, Execute/Kill bonuses for NB, Bleed/Frost/Magicka for Wardens, etc.

This is what making game (especially TES game) interesting, not restrictions D&D style.
    Edited by Ippokrates on November 24, 2021 1:30PM
  • Raideen
    Raideen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

How would it "defeat the purpose of be anything to do anything"? All it does is INCREASE the available way to build a character.

I think the OP has a great idea here.

A class monster set would also inject more class identity into a class for folks who actually want to play the class, not a skill line.

Personally, I have never liked the idea that you can't just run all class abilities and perform as well as some spreadsheet build, it whittles down what it means to play that class.
    Edited by Raideen on November 24, 2021 2:08PM
  • Drammanoth
    Drammanoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Class-specific sets would be great. SO WHAT that it was in WoW. There are a plethora of other sets.
  • Nanfoodle
    Nanfoodle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Drammanoth wrote: »
    Class-specific sets would be great. SO WHAT that it was in WoW. There are a plethora of other sets.

It's not just WoW, that's what most standard MMOs do. ESO is unique in how they handle their gear. If you want that style of game play, you have tones of options out there of games that do that. If you are asking for this, your not getting what makes ESO so special in how they handle gear. What you are asking would break the game for the majority of people who play this game.
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’ve seen it mentioned by many people ingame and yeah it would be awesome. It’s no different than Master weapons altering abilities tbh. Just class-based.
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vaoh wrote: »
    I’ve seen it mentioned by many people ingame and yeah it would be awesome. It’s no different than Master weapons altering abilities tbh. Just class-based.

It is different because it is class based. Master weapons can be used by any character.

I really have no opinion either way. If class sets were introduced we could use them or not. The thing is though for balance issues they would have to be really mundane. We shouldn't expect them to outperform other monster sets.
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
  • Kwoung
    Kwoung
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ashur_gul wrote: »

Necromancer:

Warden:

Dragonknight:

I think that is would be pigeon holing classes into particular roles honestly, something ZOS has worked very hard to not do. It would be entirely more likely I would earn a set for one class, and wear it on another, unless of course they were class locked, in which case I probably wouldn't wear any of them. What about Necro tanks, what about Wardens in PVP (that set would get them and everyone around them killed), etc...
  • rexagamemnon
    rexagamemnon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not opposed, i think the idea would be cool. But i doubt ZOS would go in that direction